OSX on ASUS UL30A

boorok

78 posts in this topic

hey guys!

its time for an update! :) i showed you how to install the 10.5.7 main system with iAtkos v.7. Up to now, I got the native resolution (1366x768) and ethernet working! sounds good, doesn't it? I also updated the system to 10.5.8 with the original apple update. some of you might be interested in what i did. here we go:

firstly, i have tried a lot of kexts for the graphic card. due to the fact that the Intel GMA 4500MHD is not supported, it was not that easy.

1.) download these kernel extensions: zip archive in the first post

2.) open up osx86tools (you will find it in finder->programs)

3.) select "install kext" in the section "extensions"

4.) select the first kext you downloaded, press install

5.) do not reboot and press install kext again and choose the second kext you downloaded

6.) please ignore the file "dsdt.aml" that is also in the archive!

7.) after you have installed them, you should reboot and your native resolution should work.

to get my ethernet working, i had two options. either recplacing my ethernet adapter or buying a wireless stick because our atheros cards are not supported. some coders tried to write kexts based on the linux driver of that cards but it did not work. so i went in shop and bought this little sweet wlan stick. i plugged it in, installed driver and ethernet works perfectly. in addition this stick is so extremely small, it does not disturb me in any way.

since i got ethernet working, i tried to update the apple software. i selected every possible update and clicked install.. after the installation my system did not boot up. so i plugged the iAtkos v7 DVD in, and i have installed everything (like shown in my first post) exept the "iAtkos main system" and the last point named "post install......" !!! so the drivers and patches only and afterwards i had a 10.5.8 system. after that i have installed my graphic card again and everything is fine :(

i hope i could help you. if you have got any questions, do not hesitate to ask them!

hello,

I managed install iAtkos 7 sucessfully on my asus UL50VG.I know that the wifi and wired networks are not working at the moment.but my problem is my audio also not working.it recognize the inbuilt audio,and also I have the volume control on the control bar,but no audio.can somebody help me.thanks

• 2 weeks later...
hey guys!

after some tries i got it working. here we go:

1) get iatkos v7

2) insert and boot from dvd...

3) when it asks you to press f8 to add some boot commands, press f8

4) type in: -v cpus=1

5) now it should boot properly

6) open disk ultility from the installer (at the top: utilities -> disk utility)

7) select the partition you want to install leopard on, click on erase and erase it with "mac os extended (journaled)"

8) close disk utility and click next and agree stuff and next where you have to select your partition

9) select the formated partition and click next

10) afer that click on customize... now mark the things i did:

- iATKOS v7 Main System

Section Bootloader:

Chameleon v1

Section x86 Patches

/Extra directory

DSDT

AppleDecrypt (subsection Decrypters)

9.7.0 Kernel voodoo (subsection Kernel)

Disabler

Section Driver -> System

Intel SATA/IDE (subsection SATA/IDE)

Voodoo HDA Driver (subsection Sound)

Voodoo PS/2 driver (subsection PS/2 mouse/keyboard) !important

Laptop Battery

NTFS 3G (so you can write on NTFS partitions)

Section Languages

simply your language

Post-Install Actions

if it does not boot properly, boot with "-v -f cpus=1"

so this are the main points i have selected. to be honest, there is not that much working up to now exept the main system. So ethernet (both wireless and wired) is not working, sleep is not working, graphic card is not installed... usb and sound works pretty good. i will have to test some more kexts for video and so on, but it would be nice if you guys also try some things to get everything to work ;)

have fun

hello,thanks for guide.I followed this guide for asus UL50VG and installed fine.but there are two things to get work.as the network wireless and wifi not working for all,I resoved it with a wifi adaptor.but in addition to this my sounds and partially keyboard keys not functioning.any solutions to this.

thanks,christy

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

So far my understanding is that for 10.5.7, 10.5.8 and 10.6.2 installations on the ASUS UL30, we have no "true" working Intel 4500MHD kext (although we do have working native resolution support) and have a working wired/cable ethernet kext (as Michel mentions).

So far, no one has a 4500 QE/CI -enabled kext -- so stuff like front row and full chess isn't available ... yet. But limited video support is better than none, and the wired ethernet kext development was quite a breakthrough.

No sleep support I've ever heard of to date, nor wireless support. Only option for wifi is to grab a usb wifi stick for the interim. :D

Yes, the wired ethernet works (Thanks to Michel for sharing). I have 10.5.7 on my UL30VT-A1 and the sound does not work. The sleep issue is a bit annoying because it caused chameleon v1 to hang (even though I set the Sleep under System Preferences to Never). And when that happens I have to reinstall Chameleon using the iatkos v7 from external DVD drive.

Should I better off installing Snow Leopard?

So far my understanding is that for 10.5.7, 10.5.8 and 10.6.2 installations on the ASUS UL30, we have no "true" working Intel 4500MHD kext (although we do have working native resolution support) and have a working wired/cable ethernet kext (as Michel mentions).

So far, no one has a 4500 QE/CI -enabled kext -- so stuff like front row and full chess isn't available ... yet. But limited video support is better than none, and the wired ethernet kext development was quite a breakthrough.

No sleep support I've ever heard of to date, nor wireless support. Only option for wifi is to grab a usb wifi stick for the interim. ;)

I'm about to head that way myself, actually, and blow away my Leo install for a new SL install. I figure SL 10.6.2 can't be any worse off than 10.5.7/10.5.8 , so why not? We do have 10.6 intel 4500 and 10.6 wired equivalent kexts from the same above sources, and also the recent interest in the X4500 thread(s) regarding new but not-yet-compatible Intel drivers released by Apple for 10.6.3 . Some people are working hard at modifying these recent kext files into QE-supported Intel 4500 versions. Very exciting right now.

There was also a report from someone that stated an Apple store employee stated there'll be a switchover to Intel graphic chips in future generations of macbooks, so who knows...? You've got nothing to lose and everything to gain, really.

Will it work for UL30VT as well? Your build resolved all of the outstanding items; Ethernet, Wireless, Audio, etc.?? If so, this is fantastic!!

It'll work for UL30VT, but it solves only ethernet. I got sound with other kexts. Wireless is not working.

Michel.

Could you please point me in the right direction to get the sound working? I have Voodoo HDA but it's not working...

Thanks guys!

It'll work for UL30VT, but it solves only ethernet. I got sound with other kexts. Wireless is not working.

Michel.

Could you please point me in the right direction to get the sound working? I have Voodoo HDA but it's not working...

Thanks guys!

Hi,

I downloaded "eee901kext4sound" from rapidshare and installed :

- HDAenabler (don't know where it comes from) !

- AppleHDA.kext (the one from the folder AppleHDA269from268)

Reboot, select external speakers and it works.

If you don't find the files, I'll upload them.

Regards.

Michel.

Hi,

I installed successfully Snow Leopard on my UL80VT, it works, wired ethernet works, digital sound works but I was unable to get analog sound working. On my Leopard install analog sound is working.

Michel.

Edit : Finally I got analog sound working.

Edit : Finally I got analog sound working.

Hi Michel,

Can you tell us how you got analog sound working? BTW, were you able to force your nvidia gpu to work vs the default native intel 4500 gpu? My understanding is that you need to enable "compatibility" mode to get the nvidia to default, so you can run osx with qe/ci ...

Hi Michel,

Can you tell us how you got analog sound working? BTW, were you able to force your nvidia gpu to work vs the default native intel 4500 gpu? My understanding is that you need to enable "compatibility" mode to get the nvidia to default, so you can run osx with qe/ci ...

Hi,

I installed a voodoohda.kext with a modified info.plist found on the internet. If interested I can upload this kext.

I didn't try to use the nvidia gpu.

Regards.

Michel.

I installed a voodoohda.kext with a modified info.plist found on the internet. If interested I can upload this kext.

Thanks Michel. If you could, i would really appreciate your uploading the analog sound fix that worked for you. Merci bien!

Thanks Michel for the kexts, but I'm still not able to get sound working :robot: I used your VoodooHDA.kext file and HDAEnabler.kext but sound still doesn't work. Are there any other kexts to use? Do I have to remove AppleHDA.kext?

Thanks Michel for the kexts, but I'm still not able to get sound working :robot: I used your VoodooHDA.kext file and HDAEnabler.kext but sound still doesn't work. Are there any other kexts to use? Do I have to remove AppleHDA.kext?

Don't use HDAenabler with VoodooHDA.

Michel.

Don't use HDAenabler with VoodooHDA.

Michel.

Hmm...even after I removed HDAenabler, I still can't get sound. Looking at my sound prefpane, it shows that there are no input/output devices found. Here's a list of my kexts:

AppleACPIPS2Nub

AppleHDA

AtherosL1cEthernet

EvOreboot

FakeSMC

IOBluetoothFamily

LegacyAppleRTC

NullCPUPowerManagement

UUID

VoodooBattery

VoodooHDA

VoodooPS2Controller

I'm adding the kexts by copying them in my ~/Extra/Extensions and running KextUtility 2.3.2. How do you add your kexts? KextHelper b7?

Can you possibly upload all the kexts in your ~/Extra/Extensions in a zip and post them?

Hmm...even after I removed HDAenabler, I still can't get sound. Looking at my sound prefpane, it shows that there are no input/output devices found. Here's a list of my kexts:

AppleACPIPS2Nub

AppleHDA

AtherosL1cEthernet

EvOreboot

FakeSMC

IOBluetoothFamily

LegacyAppleRTC

NullCPUPowerManagement

UUID

VoodooBattery

VoodooHDA

VoodooPS2Controller

I'm adding the kexts by copying them in my ~/Extra/Extensions and running KextUtility 2.3.2. How do you add your kexts? KextHelper b7?

Can you possibly upload all the kexts in your ~/Extra/Extensions in a zip and post them?

Hi,

You have to delete all sound related kexts : AppleHDA

VoodooHDA has to be loaded alone.

Michel.

Thanks Michel, everything is working now.

I've run into an issue though, when the UL30 goes to sleep, I can't wake it up again and it breaks my installation completely (I have to reinstall everything again as the myHack bootloader just hangs). Have you run into this issue? Is sleep enabled for you?

I've run into an issue though, when the UL30 goes to sleep, I can't wake it up again and it breaks my installation completely (I have to reinstall everything again as the myHack bootloader just hangs). Have you run into this issue? Is sleep enabled for you?

Same issue, I disabled hibernate mode.

Michel.

Thanks Michel, everything is working now.

Were you able to run the wireless unit AR9285 ? I didn't find a kext for it !

Michel.

Great job guys! Beau travail! I'm just about to buy one of those - UL30VT in fact - to replace the Eee PC I've been using under Leopard for 20 months now (Windows partition has been out of service for half a year now). My question is: do you think a UL30 can be used solely under Mac OS? Are all the usability basics all there and working well enough? More specifically, is the trackpad customizable or decently usable as it is?

And can the WiFi card be changed without tearing the computer apart? From the pictures I have seen, it sticks out in the hard drive bay but I am not sure it can slid in and out easily. A half-length Mac-compatible card would be part of my purchase.

Thanks and keep up the good work!