OSX on ASUS UL30A

boorok

78 posts in this topic

Have someone tried to install any version of OSX on the Asus UL30A?

Or at least what do you think about the hardware? Could it be possible to install OSX on it?

Specs:

Processor Intel Core 2 Duo SU7300 1.3GHz

Memory 4GB DDR3-800 (2 DIMMs)

Chipset Intel GS45 Express

Graphics Integrated Intel GMA 4500MHD with 64MB dedicated memory

Display 13.3" TFT with WXGA (1366x768) resolution and LED backlight

Storage Seagate Momentus 5400.6 320GB 2.5" 5,400-RPM hard drive

Audio Stereo HD audio via Realtek codec

Ports 3 USB 2.0

1 VGA

1 HDMI

1 RJ45 10/100 Ethernet via Atheros AR8132

1 analog headphone output

1 analog microphone input

Expansion slots 1 SD/SDHC/MMC/MS/MSPRO/xD

Communications 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi via Atheros AR9285

Input devices "Full size" keyboard

Trackpad with multi-touch scrolling

Internal microphone

Camera 0.3 megapixel webcam

Dimensions 12.7" x 9.0" x 0.9-1.1" (323 mm x 229 mm x 22.9-27.9 mm)

Weight 3.7 lbs (1.7 kg)

Battery 8-cell Li-Ion 84Wh

Want the info too since i wanna buy it! All i can tell you is Vista do not recognize exactly these new Core2Duo so it might be a problem for OSX... But i think it would be ok! If someone tested or if there's already an official topic, please help us out!

So, today I've got the notebook and I started trying to install it. Had no luck with OSX 10.5.2 Kalyway, no luck with leo4All. no luck with iAtkos 5 and iAtkos 7. All versions didn't start the installation and freezed or rebooted.

I also tried iDeneb 1.6. With it i could start the installation, I've sucessfully installed it with vodoo kernel but on reboot it didn't start. So now I'm trying to install it with the other kernels maybe one will work.

I'll keep writing here.

So, now I tried to install OSX with different kernels (and different drivers) but when I go into -v (verbose) mode after first reboot, I allways get this:

"MAC Framework successfully initialized

using 16384 buffer headers and 4896 cluster IO buffer headers

||"

After those lines it freezes and nothing happens. Can someone explain this to me? What does it mean? Is something missing?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

hey guys!

after some tries i got it working. here we go:

1) get iatkos v7

2) insert and boot from dvd...

3) when it asks you to press f8 to add some boot commands, press f8

4) type in: -v cpus=1

5) now it should boot properly

6) open disk ultility from the installer (at the top: utilities -> disk utility)

7) select the partition you want to install leopard on, click on erase and erase it with "mac os extended (journaled)"

8) close disk utility and click next and agree stuff and next where you have to select your partition

9) select the formated partition and click next

10) afer that click on customize... now mark the things i did:

- iATKOS v7 Main System

Section Bootloader:

Chameleon v1

Section x86 Patches

/Extra directory

DSDT

AppleDecrypt (subsection Decrypters)

9.7.0 Kernel voodoo (subsection Kernel)

Disabler

Section Driver -> System

Intel SATA/IDE (subsection SATA/IDE)

Voodoo HDA Driver (subsection Sound)

Voodoo PS/2 driver (subsection PS/2 mouse/keyboard) !important

Laptop Battery

NTFS 3G (so you can write on NTFS partitions)

Section Languages

simply your language

Post-Install Actions

if it does not boot properly, boot with "-v -f cpus=1"

so this are the main points i have selected. to be honest, there is not that much working up to now exept the main system. So ethernet (both wireless and wired) is not working, sleep is not working, graphic card is not installed... usb and sound works pretty good. i will have to test some more kexts for video and so on, but it would be nice if you guys also try some things to get everything to work :)

have fun

• 2 weeks later...

Since the above setup worked for a UL30vt (has switchable graphics), you should be able to get SL running like this:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t=#entry1357004

I forgot to mention you probably need to delete the AppleTyMCEDriver.kext (?), but a stock SL install with the above kext in the /Extra folders should work.

X4500 - of course - isn't supported.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

hey guys!

its time for an update! :D i showed you how to install the 10.5.7 main system with iAtkos v.7. Up to now, I got the native resolution (1366x768) and ethernet working! sounds good, doesn't it? I also updated the system to 10.5.8 with the original apple update. some of you might be interested in what i did. here we go:

firstly, i have tried a lot of kexts for the graphic card. due to the fact that the Intel GMA 4500MHD is not supported, it was not that easy.

1.) download these kernel extensions: zip archive in the first post

2.) open up osx86tools (you will find it in finder->programs)

3.) select "install kext" in the section "extensions"

4.) select the first kext you downloaded, press install

5.) do not reboot and press install kext again and choose the second kext you downloaded

6.) please ignore the file "dsdt.aml" that is also in the archive!

7.) after you have installed them, you should reboot and your native resolution should work.

to get my ethernet working, i had two options. either recplacing my ethernet adapter or buying a wireless stick because our atheros cards are not supported. some coders tried to write kexts based on the linux driver of that cards but it did not work. so i went in shop and bought this little sweet wlan stick. i plugged it in, installed driver and ethernet works perfectly. in addition this stick is so extremely small, it does not disturb me in any way.

since i got ethernet working, i tried to update the apple software. i selected every possible update and clicked install.. after the installation my system did not boot up. so i plugged the iAtkos v7 DVD in, and i have installed everything (like shown in my first post) exept the "iAtkos main system" and the last point named "post install......" !!! so the drivers and patches only and afterwards i had a 10.5.8 system. after that i have installed my graphic card again and everything is fine :lol:

i hope i could help you. if you have got any questions, do not hesitate to ask them!

hey guys!

its time for an update! :wacko: i showed you how to install the 10.5.7 main system with iAtkos v.7. Up to now, I got the native resolution (1366x768) and ethernet working! sounds good, doesn't it? I also (...)

i hope i could help you. if you have got any questions, do not hesitate to ask them!

hello!

My english is not to good.

So, you have the 10.5.8 version instaled on your ul30.

I want to ask why wifi doesn't work.

it doesn't work, ok, but does the os recognise the card? the light is blue? yellow?

i don't know what version of the card you have,, but mine is the ar9285, and i read that the card isn't properly working in 10.6.2 but it is recognised, and also that some macintosh have problem with their wifi with the 10.6.2.

So maybe it will work when the 10.6.3 update it will be instaled.(hope so).

I don't know many things of how to put a hackintosh work properly,,,

but if some linux users have this wifi card working fine with some modifications,, with the "same" modifications on this os, will we able to make this card working?

(because it's based on linux anyway,, or it's totally diferent?)

• 2 weeks later...
hey guys!

its time for an update! :) i showed you how to install the 10.5.7 main system with iAtkos v.7. Up to now, I got the native resolution (1366x768) and ethernet working! sounds good, doesn't it? I also updated the system to 10.5.8 with the original apple update. some of you might be interested in what i did. here we go:

firstly, i have tried a lot of kexts for the graphic card. due to the fact that the Intel GMA 4500MHD is not supported, it was not that easy.

1.) download these kernel extensions: zip archive in the first post

2.) open up osx86tools (you will find it in finder->programs)

3.) select "install kext" in the section "extensions"

4.) select the first kext you downloaded, press install

5.) do not reboot and press install kext again and choose the second kext you downloaded

6.) please ignore the file "dsdt.aml" that is also in the archive!

7.) after you have installed them, you should reboot and your native resolution should work.

to get my ethernet working, i had two options. either recplacing my ethernet adapter or buying a wireless stick because our atheros cards are not supported. some coders tried to write kexts based on the linux driver of that cards but it did not work. so i went in shop and bought this little sweet wlan stick. i plugged it in, installed driver and ethernet works perfectly. in addition this stick is so extremely small, it does not disturb me in any way.

since i got ethernet working, i tried to update the apple software. i selected every possible update and clicked install.. after the installation my system did not boot up. so i plugged the iAtkos v7 DVD in, and i have installed everything (like shown in my first post) exept the "iAtkos main system" and the last point named "post install......" !!! so the drivers and patches only and afterwards i had a 10.5.8 system. after that i have installed my graphic card again and everything is fine :D

I'm very new to this, but I would like to do as much research as possible before I try to make the switch to os x. Any questions you might be able to answer will be greatly appreciated!

My first concern is wireless. I know you decided to go with a usb stick, but do you know if it is possible to replace the atheros card with a os x compatible one? If so, could you maybe point me in the direction of one? I've tried to do some research on this without much luck.

Secondly, what kind of battery life are you getting while running os x? With Windows 7 I'm getting between 8 and 10 hours.

Thanks for your time!

i'm trying to do this on a ul30VT but whatever, same rules should apply as far as the two graphic cards..

I got a Snow Leopard image and i've put it on my USB-stick, but when i boot from it the installer stops at various points depending on what bootflags (is that what they're called?) i use.

No bootflags, stops at: "AppleDecrypt: Starting,,,"

-v -f cpus=1, stops at:

"Extensions "com.apple.driver.ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin" has immediate dependencies on both com.apple.kernel and com.apple.kpi components; use only one style"

and basically the same row except for "IOPlatformPluginFamily", i'll reboot and check waht it was and edit here..

-v debug= 0x00000102 io=0x00200004, stops at:

Dont_steal_mac_os_x::Start(IORescources) <1>

Does anyone have any tips? :D

I managed a perfect install with the retail dvd and this installed on the USB as the bootloader. http://osx86.sojugarden.com/installer/

However as was previously stated, WLan,Lan, Graphics, Audio don't work. I managed to get the native resolution with I think is 1366 x 758(?) with some modified 3100HD kext, other than that nothing works. I tried audio with the VoodoHDA but I couldn't even get that working.

Touchpad is a little unpredictable, it has now stopped working for me and I have given up; at least until 10.6.3 comes out, who knows.

can't the people who succesfully installed anything post some quik guides?

seems as though Rayla managed to install 10.5.xx which is regular Leopard right?

and Kryptonyan managed to install Snow Leopard but used a regular mac to do it?

i downloaded SL with bootloader all in one image but was unsuccesful with that,

then i downloaded iatkos 7 and tried to boot using that but was unsuccesful, though i've only tried it once yet..

I guess I can write a small outline of what I did to get retail copy of Snow Leopard Working. I don't really have anything working besides native resolution. I'm assuming you have:

A)8gb+ USB stick

B)Mac OSX 10.6 Install DVD IMG file.

C)A working OSX installation.

Note: You may want to download the 10.6.2 combo update from Apple's site seeing that neither ethernet or wifi are working. Here

1) Getting USB Ready

Partition and format USB device using MBR or GUID in disk utility. Format should be Mac OS Extended (Case-sensitive, Journaled.

Then Restore OS X Install DVD to USB using disk utility.USB as destination and the IMG file as source.

Run myHack installer and install it to the USB drive you just prepared. Make sure to install to it your USB drive NOT your existing OSX installation. In customize this is what I chose to install:

-com.apple.Boot.plist

-EvOreboot.kext

-FakeSMC.kext

-LegacyAppleRTC.kext

-NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

-PlatformUUID.kext

-UUID.kext

-VoodooPS2Controller.kext

-IOBluetoothFamily.kext

Note:Kexts in bold can be downloaded in my attachment.

Everything else is unchecked. I can't confirm that all the kexts Im using in my /Extra folder are needed, maybe you guys can experiment with that.

Note: Make sure "Ignore ownership on this volume" is unchecked on the USB. To see this, right click USB then get info.It's towards the bottom

2)Boot from USB on the ASUS UL30, make sure to check your BIOS if booting from your USB isn't working. Installation should then start. Format your hard drive from disk utility if you haven't already.Format should be Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

3.Install, turn computer after it's done; you don't really have to wait or reboot.

4.Boot from the USB again, this time hit any key to prompt the menu and select your new OSX installation.

5.Set up account, Remember the 10.6.2 combo update you downloaded from Apple's site? Transfer it to the Al30 and install it. DO NOT restart after install.You should then install the myHack installer to your new Ul30 OSX hard disk, choosing the same options you did for the USB. This should have created an /Extra folder in the root of your Snow Leopard disk.Make sure you have all this kexts installed in /Extra/Extensions:

-EvOreboot.kext

-FakeSMC.kext

-LegacyAppleRTC.kext

-NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

-PlatformUUID.kext

-UUID.kext

-VoodooPS2Controller.kext

-IOBluetoothFamily.kext

Note:Again, kexts in bold can be downloaded in my attachment.

7. If you want native resolution which I think is 1366x768, install AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext using kext helper.This doesn't enable QE/CI though.

6. That's pretty much it, restart and you should have everything working, or some it at least... Currently only in 32-bit. Booting in 64 breaks native resolution and touchpad. This installation is far from perfect and this is very rough guide to it. If you see any mistakes or have questions..ask them?

Ul30_Kexts.zip

is there anyway to install myHack and the kexts by just extracting files into my OS X USB-image? i mean i have macDrive so i can access everything from my pc..

I really don't think so. You could try a Virtual Machine in Windows, Here but I don't have any experience with it.

Edit: Honestly though, I've given up trying to get this Laptop fully working on OSX. I've decided to fork up the $200 and just get a 13" Macbook Pro, at least there will be less hassle with OSX. Good luck to anyone else that will keep trying.

I really don't think so. You could try a Virtual Machine in Windows, Here but I don't have any experience with it.

Edit: Honestly though, I've given up trying to get this Laptop fully working on OSX. I've decided to fork up the $200 and just get a 13" Macbook Pro, at least there will be less hassle with OSX. Good luck to anyone else that will keep trying.

Good work on the guide! I know it is possible to install MacOSX in VMware with a custom boot image, but I'm not sure how to get it to properly boot after it's installed, maybe someone else can chime in.