SheepShaver powerpc emu

curlyboy

23 posts in this topic

curlyboy, thanks for posting this! 9.04 working good. faster than the windows port. cpu is almost nothing when not actually running an app. :angel:

Hi there quixos, gee, sure wish i could see that screen on my puter. If you search back a couple of months ago, you'll see that i tried to run SheepShaver but without success. Would you please be so kind to tell us how you managed and if so, what exactly ROM image you used? I have a PowerMac 7300, a PowerMac 7100, a AGP G4 @ 733 and none seem to work. I even tried by extracting the ROMS from within the Mac OS CD's, but no result. A checksum would be appreciated. Other than that, a preferences file text would also be useful.

Thanx in advance.

i have a macos 9.04 cd, from which i long time ago now, somehow extracted the rom (i think). i just drug my ROM, HFV file (1gb) and BasiliskII_keycodes from my windows install, then edited the pref file created by SheepshaverGui to include my paths.

sorry to be vague, i do things when i have to, and then backup and forget about it, and it's late. :angel:

my sheepshaver.pref file is...

-------------------------------------

disk /Applications/OS9/9.HFV

extfs /Applications/OS9/o

screen win/640/480

windowmodes 0

screenmodes 0

seriala

serialb /dev/null

rom /Applications/OS9/MacOSRom

bootdrive 0

bootdriver 0

ramsize 100663296

frameskip 8

gfxaccel true

nocdrom false

nonet false

nosound false

nogui false

noclipconversion false

ignoresegv false

jit true

jit68k false

keyboardtype 5

keycodes false

mousewheelmode 1

mousewheellines 3

dsp /dev/dsp

mixer /dev/mixer

ignoresegv false

idlewait true

-----------------------------------------

there is more to be done with it, once again, i "think". let me know your progress, i'll be checking this thread to read about others experiences. good luck, and check your Messages. :D

Hi,

The easiest way to get a working rom file is copying it from a Mac OS 8.5/8/6 cd. It's in the system folder and is called Mac OS Rom.

The recent SheepShaver build includes a GUI and no longer has that problem where your shared folder would become invisible.

Also: networking speed is beefed up and performs quite well.

Cat_7

Thanks a million quixos,

You're a life saver! I initially tried 8.6 using the ROM you suggested :hysterical:

When all went well i ended with 9.0 Will put up a snapshot asap.

It appears that the GUI edition of SheepShaver helps alot.

Thanks once again

• 2 weeks later...

i've been using SHeepShaver 2.3 - Im running the Windows port. i have a NewWorld Mac rom 1.6 - i have an original Mac Os 9 cd. i can boot directly off the cd no problem. but when i go to install the operating system i get this error message...

"this program cannot run on your computer. check the documentation for more information"

has anyone experienced anything like this... any help is greatly appreciated.

Hey cat, thanx for the quick reply. i came across that post after i posted, sorry. with the solution there.. do i simply copy the install cd to an .hfv volume? than edit the install software on that hfv volume? and how do i get Resedit onto the desktop to edit the file? is it on the install cd? or do i need to download and drop it in with HFV explorer? and than the directions say after saving the file(which im pretty sure i wont be able to do directly to the cd) to reboot... but on reboots i get the error "you can't load system install software off a hard disk, you need to use the original software media"

sorry if that was all confusing... i know im close to the solution

p.s. restore method wont work...i think the retore cd is busted so when i go to mount the .img file it gets half way and says it is corrupted

you can install os 8.6 from a G4 cd if you have.

i had the same problem on my 6100/66 Power Mac.

search with sherlock for *.img files on the cd. there you find a G4.img or something about 140 MB. Just mound it and copy the whole content to your startdrive and reboot.

its an restore image of the original G4.

its only on the G4 8.6 install disc. i've also got an 9.0 G4 install disc but theres no image..

just by the way..

Does anyone know if this will support A/UX snd if so what ROM would i need?

thanks

jrsdead

No Sheepshaver does not emulate the mms of a real mac. This is why OS X and anything greater then 9.0.4 does not work. For more information see www.emaculation.com. Sheepshaver is a great program that lets intel based computer run clasic mac software. As far as a rom the mac os cd you can download this Apple rom from Cnet for free and extract it in TomeViewer. This rom is free and made available from apple itself.

one question for quixos about the network setup

in OSX with os9.04, I can set up the network easily with slirp

but in windows, I cant connect the internet with the os9.0.4 , strangely, with the same setting, os8.6 works.

mind shine some light on it?

one question for quixos about the network setup

in OSX with os9.04, I can set up the network easily with slirp

but in windows, I cant connect the internet with the os9.0.4 , strangely, with the same setting, os8.6 works.

mind shine some light on it?

solved:) for some reason, the network conncetion of os9.0.4 inside widnows only works with basilisc ethernet driver installed...(FTP/NAT router doesnt work for it)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I just downloaded SheepShaver and I have OS 8.5 on a CD, and I downloaded the 8.6 upgrade. I'm running an Intel iMac with a 2GHz Core Duo and 2GB RAM... How well will this work on my machine, and how exactly do I get OS 8 installed? I have very little knowledge of anything backend.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I have SheepShaver, but no ROM. Since I'm on an Intel Mac (MacBook, to be specific), I can't run TomeViewer to extract the ROM from a file. If anyone would be so kind as to email me one at theocryst@hotmail.com, I would be eternally grateful! Many thanks!

~TheoCryst

Hi, I have SheepShaver, but no ROM. Since I'm on an Intel Mac (MacBook, to be specific), I can't run TomeViewer to extract the ROM from a file. If anyone would be so kind as to email me one at theocryst@hotmail.com, I would be eternally grateful! Many thanks!

~TheoCryst

There are links to legal ROMs earlier in the thread...

SS works great, btw. Now I just wish I'd not gotten rid of my old MS Word 5.x disks. My favourite word processor EVER. :idea:

There are links to legal ROMs earlier in the thread...

Yes, but it's locked up in a Classic install. And, needless to say, my MacBook is severely lacking in the "Classic" department. There's no way for me to extract the ROM without using an OS that I don't have access to at the moment, so I was hoping that someone could extract it for me. Or I can just wait until I get to school, so I can use my library's G5s.