SMART

johnniecarcinogen

6 posts in this topic

EDIT: I made a guide here: http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?showtopic=17348

After hearing alot about SMART I decided to try it out. It appearently handles many types of repositories. Here is all that it uses:

Smart supports the following repository formats as source channels:

• RPM repositories
    • Yast2 RPM repositories (as of Smart 0.41 original SUSE and 3rd party repositories support)
    • RPM System Database (locally installed packages)
    • APT repositories for .rpm
    • RPM-MD (used by YUM)
    • Red Carpet (used by Ximian/Novell)
    • RPM Header List (used by RedHat and Conectiva installation CDs, probably others)
    • RPM Directory (a directory with a bunch of RPMs in it, no indexing required)
    • URPMI (used by Mandriva)

[*] DEB repositories

• DEB System Database (locally installed packages)
    • APT repositories for .deb
    • DEB Directory (a directory with a bunch of DEBs in it, no indexing required)

[*] Slackware

• Slackware installed packages database
    • Slackware repositories

[*] Mirrors

• up2date (used by RedHat/Fedora)
    • Conectiva-style mirror description formats

So I installed the packages in using Apt:

sudo apt-get install smart smart-gui smart-addons

Then I went to the 'Smart Package Manage' entry in my menu:

snapshot20wa.th.png

I like using it in the command line too.

• 1 month later...

I highly recommended this package management system. I find it easier to use, and after make, sudo smart update I have almost every repository I need. ( I add only nvida repository and Compiz-Quinn copmiz repository) very simple very useful

I use Smart along with kyum (a yum only GUI) in Fedora. I like Smart a lot, but sometimes it is too smart and it will crank for 10 minutes and then say I can install the 1 new package I am interested in by downgrading 37 others, uninstalling 14 more, and installing 7 additional new ones. I wish there was a way to tell it to give up looking for a way sooner and have it not be so determined to find a way no matter how complicated :)