X4500 QE/CI Project! (Need anyone who can help)

LawOne

24 posts in this topic

**** UPDATES ****

Will post updates here.. As well as http://code.google.com/p/x4500/

x4500 Graphic Drivers For OSX

The overall goal of this project will be the development of a 32-bit driver bundle for the "Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X4500". This driver bundle will allow the Intel GMA X4500 to be fully recognized in the Darwin XNU layer of Mac OS X as well as the Quartz layer with support for Quartz Extreme and Core Image hardware graphics acceleration.

Further goals will allow for support of native display resolutions, various video hardware deviations, sleep and power management support, dsdt integration, OpenGL, Quartz Extreme and Core Image hardware acceleration.

At this time, the project is in the early stages and we do not have any code to provide. Please check back periodically for changes.

WE NEED YOUR SUPPORT - If you wish to be apart of this project send an email at law@violetcore.com with your Google Account email and he will add you!

Few Things we are after!

* Developers

* Information on the various Hardware IDs for the X4500

* Anyone with experience or knowledge of the IONDRVFramebuffer and IONDRVSupport (Needed for full QE/CI)

* Assistance with research on existing projects with the ATI Framebuffer. Please refer to the code @ http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=156279.

* Assistance with locating and/or possibly porting Linux drivers for the x4500 to Darwin. We would like to get the basic driver to work with XNU kernel if this is at all possible.

* Any history that you may have had working on hacking the x3100 series drivers to work.

* If there anything you think you could help.

x4500 Dev Team

Project Members

Law :)

Spammon :)

Proxin :)

I started a code.google page. Where we can have one places for updates and so forth!

http://code.google.com/p/x4500/

If anyone can help in anyway drop me an email at law@violetcore.com and i will add you to the project. (your google account email please)

Bare in mind.. i personally know nothing about starting to even create a driver with QE/CI support.

I only done this to get it off to ground.

I will upload current release (Native Rez Support) shortly!

I hope we can start to get somewhere with this damn x4500 issue!

If Mr.Vaughn was telling the truth about the fact he got it working.. before he disappeared. (Could be due to him losing data as he mentioned!)

Then we are not that far off. :pirate2:

Please refer to this. It would be a great place to start work on an Intel Framebuffer. The ATI community has been working on a third party FB so maybe you can borrow from this code and even get some of their developer support?

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=156279

I'm not super with code or any of that but I'm down for testing and whatever else for the good of the community. ;)
I don't intend to sound mean by saying this, but I don't really think these kind of posts are necessary in this kind of thread just for the sake of keeping it clean.

I think it's a given that everybody would be more than happy to test any semblance of a working solution at this point. :D

I have offered my help in planning with Law and will be hashing out a gameplan with this weekend.

Here is what we could use right now:

• Developers!!! Please email law if you are interested in development.
  • Information on the various Hardware IDs for the X4500
  • Anyone with experience or knowledge of the IONDRVFramebuffer and IONDRVSupport (Needed for full QE/CI)
  • Information regarding your video bios (versions etc)
  • Assistance with research on existing projects with the ATI Framebuffer. Please refer to the code in THIS THREAD.
  • Assistance with locating and/or possibly porting Linux drivers for the x4500 to Darwin. We would like to get the basic driver to work with XNU kernel if this is at all possible.
  • Any history that you may have had working on hacking the x3100 series drivers to work.

We will be conducting a poll soon to get some input on the direction we are taking. That will be part of the discussions for the weekend.

Thank you

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys just wanted to add my support to this project...it seems things have gone pretty static but i think it would be a real shame if this was to come to nothing. I know that a large number of new notebooks and desktops are running x4500 graphics and many people would greatly appreciate being able to utilise QE and CI with their systems. I for one find it extremely frustrating that i cannot use iWork 09 because of my lack of QE and i am aware that there are other applications which also rely on QE.

I would probably not be much use in any development of code as i do not have any skills in this area but i do know that i would be very willing to supply you with any information that may help you or conduct any research which may be of assistance.

I would also be willing to offer a financial reward to the developers if they were able to get a fully working driver. I believe others would also be willing to do this as well ending up with a pretty tidy some for you guys in the end.

I sincerely hope that this project continues to develop and i am still hopeful that one day i will have a fully working hackintosh! :(

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry everyone,

I been very very busy with work and have had no time to try and get something sorted. I have quite alot of free time coming up. So hopefully we can start to get somewhere with this damn X4500 Drivers!

So far we have native Rez. Which as you know has been around for a while already, which is a start.

But.. the problem we face is trying to get QE enabled, Now this kinda a few options with how to do this really... Create a driver from scratch. Or go about editing a driver to suit the X4500..

But over the next few days or so (i hope, dont hold me to it)

we will come up with a plan on what's the best option to go with.

But anyway..

Sorry to the people who emailed me about joining the project. Sorry if i didn't reply been mega busy and just didn't get round to doing it. We have a few new peeps on the boat. Which i will update google code with and so forth..

But if you think you can help please drop me an email! :D

Sorry everyone,

I been very very busy with work and have had no time to try and get something sorted. I have quite alot of free time coming up. So hopefully we can start to get somewhere with this damn X4500 Drivers!

So far we have native Rez. Which as you know has been around for a while already, which is a start.

But.. the problem we face is trying to get QE enabled, Now this kinda a few options with how to do this really... Create a driver from scratch. Or go about editing a driver to suit the X4500..

But over the next few days or so (i hope, dont hold me to it)

we will come up with a plan on what's the best option to go with.

But anyway..

Sorry to the people who emailed me about joining the project. Sorry if i didn't reply been mega busy and just didn't get round to doing it. We have a few new peeps on the boat. Which i will update google code with and so forth..

But if you think you can help please drop me an email! :)

LawOne, if possible during the development could you also make sure that it will be Snow Leopard compatible? I've read that the current one with Native Resolution abilities does not work on Snow Leopard (in 32-bit mode).

:D

**** UPDATES ****

Will post updates here.. As well as http://code.google.com/p/x4500/

x4500 Graphic Drivers For OSX

The overall goal of this project will be the development of a 32-bit driver bundle for the "Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X4500". This driver bundle will allow the Intel GMA X4500 to be fully recognized in the Darwin XNU layer of Mac OS X as well as the Quartz layer with support for Quartz Extreme and Core Image hardware graphics acceleration.

Further goals will allow for support of native display resolutions, various video hardware deviations, sleep and power management support, dsdt integration, OpenGL, Quartz Extreme and Core Image hardware acceleration.

At this time, the project is in the early stages and we do not have any code to provide. Please check back periodically for changes.

WE NEED YOUR SUPPORT - If you wish to be apart of this project send an email at law@violetcore.com with your Google Account email and he will add you!

Few Things we are after!

* Developers

* Information on the various Hardware IDs for the X4500

* Anyone with experience or knowledge of the IONDRVFramebuffer and IONDRVSupport (Needed for full QE/CI)

* Assistance with research on existing projects with the ATI Framebuffer. Please refer to the code @ http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=156279.

* Assistance with locating and/or possibly porting Linux drivers for the x4500 to Darwin. We would like to get the basic driver to work with XNU kernel if this is at all possible.

* Any history that you may have had working on hacking the x3100 series drivers to work.

* If there anything you think you could help.

x4500 Dev Team

Project Members

Law :P

Spammon :)

Proxin ;)

I am glad tha you are back and this effort will move on. You may want to look at www.kext.com, I noticed they are posting a driver for X4500, I am not sure if it works or not as I am far from my Hacintosh and could not test it till I get it back.

Good luck,

Artimess

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Please add me.

I would like to compile and share with you:

http://intellinuxgraphics.org/download.html

Code from FreeBSD:

Several drivers ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/d...es/xorg/driver/

ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/d...l-2.7.1.tar.bz2

Supports a variety of Intel graphics chipsets including G/Q33,G/Q35,G41,G/Q43,G/GM/Q45

Version 2.9.1

http://xorg.freedesktop.org/archive/individual/driver/

And program a KEXT:

http://developer.apple.com/mac/library/doc.../KEXTIntro.html

Best Regards,

Ruy Benton

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Last thing we needed was another thread like this revived. There already one or two. The google code project is dead and chances of it reviving (as if it were ever alive) are very slim, period. check the X4500 thread (the 61+ pages one) for more info.

I think it would be better to stick with the "Official" 4500 post. Just go Forum->Hardware->Graphic Cards->Intel and it's the one with the 60* pages. What those guys are trying to do is get the QE/CI with a modified Intel HD kext. We should also need something that take cares of the Nvidia switching present in the newer Macbook pros

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...