Vanilla install on Dell Vostro 1510 - 1520

Jason Parks

218 posts in this topic

Hello Guys,

I have a Vostro 1510 with NVIDIA 8400M GS and Dell wireless 1395 wlan minicard running 10.6.2 Snow Leopard since january.

Everything works fine (even wifi) and the install is the same of this tutorial.

My problem is that I don't know if everything will keep working after do the updates available.

Here I got:

MAC OS X Update Combined - 10.6.4

AirPort Base Station Update 2010-001 - 5.5.1

Anyone know if I can accept this updates without a problem?

Thanx in advance.

Hello Guys,

I have a Vostro 1510 with NVIDIA 8400M GS and Dell wireless 1395 wlan minicard running 10.6.2 Snow Leopard since january.

Everything works fine (even wifi) and the install is the same of this tutorial.

My problem is that I don't know if everything will keep working after do the updates available.

Here I got:

MAC OS X Update Combined - 10.6.4

AirPort Base Station Update 2010-001 - 5.5.1

Anyone know if I can accept this updates without a problem?

Thanx in advance.

How did you fixed wifi?

• 2 weeks later...
screen-small.jpg

This is a tutorial on how to install OS X 10.6 on a Dell Vostro 1510 and 1520. It is mostly for my own sake when I crash one of my laptops and cant find my Time Machine backup. Hopefully others will benefit from the months of research and trial/error it took me to get these installs just right.

You will need the following:

1. Dell Vostro 1510 or 1520

2. A retail Snow Leopard Installation disk

3. Snowboot Boot disk available here or here

4. Either the 1510 or 1520 zip files which includes DSDT, boot.plist and all the kext files needed for a perfect install.

5. Chameleon boot loader available here

The first step is to burn the Snowboot iso to a cd. Then boot the Vostro from this disk. Once the system is booted and the drives are displayed, eject the boot disk and insert the retail Snow Leopard disk. Wait for the drive lights to stop flashing, and hit F5 to refresh the drive list. Select the installation disk and hit enter. Once the installer boots, select your language and the in the upper menu bar select utilities, disk utility. Select your drive and partition with a single partition. You can name it anything you like as long as the volume name does not include spaces. I used MacintoshHD for my volume name. In the options tab select GUID partition table instead of MBR. Next allow the system to complete partitioning and exit the disk utility. Then complete the installation as usual. Once the installer completes and the system reboots, replace the installation disk with the snowboot disk and reboot. When the drive list menu shows up select the volume you installed SnowLeo to (MacintoshHD) and boot. At this point you should be able to see the welcome screen. Go thru the rest of the installation process and user creation. Once the installer completes and it boots to your desktop, copy the 1510 or 1520 zip file and the chameleon installer to your desktop. Run the chameleon installer and make sure it is installing to the correct drive. (MacintoshHD) Then extract the correct zip file to your desktop. Next we do the following:

1. Copy the files in /Vostro1510/Extra or Vostro 1520/Extra to /Extra on MacintoshHD

2. Copy com.Apple.Boot.plist to /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.Apple.Boot.plist overwriting the one that is already there.

3. Copy dsdt.aml to root of MacintoshHD

4. Delete /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext

5. Delete /System/Library/Extensions/ApplePS2Controller.kext

6. Copy VoodooPower.kext VoodooHDA.kext and VoodooPS2Controller.kext to /System/Library/Extensions/

7. Delete /System/Library/PreferencePanes/Keyboard.prefpane

8. Copy included Keyboard.prefpane and Trackpad.prefpane to /System/Library/PreferencePanes/

9. Run Kext Utility to repair all extension permissions and create the necessary kext caches.

10. Run disk utility and repair permissions for your Snow Leopard volume (MacintoshHD)

11. Reboot into a working 32 bit Snow Leopard

12. enable QE/CI for your graphics card. If you have a Intel Graphics adapter it "SHOULD" just work. On my Vostro 1520 I have a Nvidia GEForce 9350M GS which works correctly with the included com.Apple.Boot.plist which has the kernel flag for graphics enabler turned on. Otherwise search Google for a supported enabler for your setup

***If you are using X3100 You MAY have to delete the X3100 drivers and install X3100 kext from 10.5

I did not have to but other users of this guide have reported they did.

13. All that's left to do now is enable the wireless card with the included shell script(drag on a terminal window and follow instructions) reboot and run software update......

Currently I have everything working except the media card reader and the integrated biometric finger print scanner.

***Please note:

I did NOT create or modify the included files or utilities. I simply collected them from around the net and packaged them in the included zip files for the sake of convenience.Thanks to all who DID create the included files and tools without which none of this would be possible.

I DID purchase a legitimate copy of OS X 10.6

What boot loader and boot disk did you use? the link was no good

• 1 month later...

Hey guys

I need your help ...This is my laptop

Dell Vostro 1520

4GB RAM

256MB NVidia 9300m GS

320 GB Sata HDD

my touchpad ' sound card 'graphic and LAN don't work and mouse only work with usb....

I downloaded Kalyway 10.5.2 ( i had no problem with installing ) so i only want to know how can i setup drivers because it's my first time that im running mac also i didn't work with any apple produces before so please tell how to setup the drivers or where to copy ??

Hi, Thank you for this tutorial...but i want to ask you about the windows that is already in the laptop is there a way to not format it or should i partition the driver and format it then install the windows again...im askin this because i want to have windows too !

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I'm getting stuck at the "waiting for root device" after upgrading to 10.6.6. I used the Combo to upgrade. Has anybody with a Vostro 1520 been able to upgrade? I did a bit of googling and the obvious solutions such as the HDD-AHCI, CMOS errors etc don't seem applicable.

Could somebody point me to the right direction?

Thanks

Indiana,

Vostro 1520, 4GB

NVidia 9300M GS

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

I would also like to know which is the latest successfull update that you can install in this Vostro 1510.

And also.. is it possible to upgrade it to Lion?

PS: I'll probably try to update / upgrade anyway in a few days, just for curiosity... .I'll let you know

I managed to install Lion on my Vostro 1510, with [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] from tonymacosx blog.

But I think the vostro isn't powerfull enough for Lion, itruns a bit laggy.

10.6.8 runs great though

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I upgraded to 10.6.8 yesterday.

I had to delete the sleepenabler.kext file or I would get a kernel panic. Also my wireless (broadcom) wasn't working properly (I didn't get an IP address and the network preferences menu was really slow), I solved it by using the Apple80211Monitor.bundle from 10.6.7 and placing it at /System/Library/SystemConfiguration/ (overwriting the original file). You can download it here: http://www.mediafire...770sa8ky7fd8gj3

I've been unable to activate QE/CI with my nvidia 8400M GS (it worked before upgrading), but I'm still trying. Any ideas?

Everything else works fine.

PS: backup everything before you try, specially your kexts!

• 4 weeks later...