Snow Leopard kernel by qoopz/nawcom! [Intel/AMD]

pauℓzurrr.

103 posts in this topic

Tried this Phenom kernel of yours on my 945 Phenom II X4 and i was able to use -force64 and at least run galaxies to benchmark my 9500, however after I patched my cpuids with marvins tool it wont start the window manager when i use -force64, anyone else had this issue and perhaps have a solution for it up their selves?

Hi,

The problem is not with the changes I made to the kernel as AnV/qoopz/nawcom kernel it is based on does the same thing. It seems to be a problem with the way it enables 64-bit mode or what Marvin's utility does to the patched files. You're the second person I've talked to who has mentioned that I've heard from with the problem and I think it is the same problem I've had, but I had patched the files before testing 64 bit mode without the patched files. The problem is that without the patched files, you may be able to boot to 64 bit using -force64, but almost no applications work. Some will work in 32 bit mode without being patched, but not many. I think we'll have to wait until 10.6.3 for a new kernel that might have a solution. On-the-fly patching might be a better solution though and nobody has that working yet.

BK

Hi,

The problem is not with the changes I made to the kernel as AnV/qoopz/nawcom kernel it is based on does the same thing. It seems to be a problem with the way it enables 64-bit mode or what Marvin's utility does to the patched files. You're the second person I've talked to who has mentioned that I've heard from with the problem and I think it is the same problem I've had, but I had patched the files before testing 64 bit mode without the patched files. The problem is that without the patched files, you may be able to boot to 64 bit using -force64, but almost no applications work. Some will work in 32 bit mode without being patched, but not many. I think we'll have to wait until 10.6.3 for a new kernel that might have a solution. On-the-fly patching might be a better solution though and nobody has that working yet.

BK

Yeah, I assumed that much, anyhow it seems to perform well in 32bit mode which makes it sort of a good alternative to 10.5.8 apart from lack of a on-the-fly cpuid patching, which i guess I will just have to wait for:)