Install SNOW LEOPARD 10.6 on ACER ASPIRE ONE D250

Duke Santos

70 posts in this topic

would like to thank you all.. This method has worked for my Emachines EM250, it has the BCM 43xx wifi in it which i cant seem to get working .. tried a few different enabler's/kext. anyone had any luck with this wifi card? its the ony issue i Have at the moment. apart from pc restarting when entering sleep mode. i have sleepenabler.kext but i mite be missing something?

any ideas on these 2 issues would be great

cheers!

I repeat the original wifi does not work! (In case not to mine)

Replaces Half-size PCIe PCIe fullseize with the additional slot) Tape the pin 20 and is in order!

I hope it's help

hi guys,

thanks to cdopher, with the help of this thread i managed to install 10.6.2 onto my acer d250.

yesterday i updated to 10.6.3, everything is working fine, except wifi (i didn't assembeld

dell pci card into) ethernet is working fine.

but i got a curious problem, my netbook is booting into a kernel panic, i didn't see the cause, because its hidden behind the "PowerOff Dialog". If i boot with Kernel Flag Verbose "-v"

my netbook is booting successful into 10.6.3. This is only a cosmetic problem, but maybe

someone has also experienced this and got a solution for me?

I repeat the original wifi does not work! (In case not to mine)

Replaces Half-size PCIe PCIe fullsize with the additional slot) Tape the pin 20 and is in order!

I hope it's help

Thanks .. I have a dell 1510 halfsize pci-e mini card coming in mail.. anyone have a link with pics on how to access the half size card?

so will only be sleep that doesn't work for me.. and this doesn't worrie me so much as is fast to boot/shutdown.. altho i do get a kernel panic sometimes when shutting down.

Did Nobody updated to 10.6.3, any suggestions howto?

Did you run netbookinstaller 0.8.4 rc1 after you updated?This is how I updated,first removed Sleep enabler kext(if you didn't that could been why you're getting kernel panic),then I updated through Apple Update,rebooted(takes a very long time).Then I ran Netbookinstaller and had to reinstall Voodoohda audio kext.

@gsw953 thanks for reply, see my post 2 posts before my last, i updated to 10.6.3. it works but only if i boot with verbose "-v",

in normal boot i get an kernel panic. before update to 10.6.3 i did'nt installed sleepenabler, somewhere i read that it reboots

after wake up from sleep so i decided not to use sleep and did'nt installed the sleepenabler.kext.

i installed from a clean 10.6 Snow OS DVD, after install i updated to 10.6.2.

before i updated to 10.6.3 i installed all other updates from Software-Update.

i make a backup of my system, then i decided to update to 10.6.3, i reinstalled netbookinstaller 0.8.4 rc1 and then installed 10.6.3

the first boot after install tooked very long, but the system boots up and runs fine, after shutdown i get a kernel panic from now on i have to boot

in verbose mode, normal boot did'nt work anymore.

maybe it hast todo with xcode, after update to 10.6.2 i installed iphone sdk.

@gsw953 thanks for reply, see my post 2 posts before my last, i updated to 10.6.3. it works but only if i boot with verbose "-v",

in normal boot i get an kernel panic. before update to 10.6.3 i did'nt installed sleepenabler, somewhere i read that it reboots

after wake up from sleep so i decided not to use sleep and did'nt installed the sleepenabler.kext.

i make a backup of my system, then i decided to update to 10.6.3, i reinstalled netbookinstaller 0.8.4 rc1 and then installed 10.6.3

the first boot after install tooked very long, but the system boots up and runs fine, after shutdown i get a kernel panic from now on i have to boot

This is just a guess but the only difference I see from how I updated and how you updated is I ran Netbook installer after,you ran it before.I'm pretty sure when you run it it installs the SleepEnable kext.You could ckeck in the Extras folder in general extenision folder. sorry, I'm not much help

• 2 weeks later...

i had the same problem, is because NBI 0.8.4 RC1, try reinstalling NBI 0.8.3...

i installed NBI 0.8.4 on 10.6.2 an got KB booting normally.. then i updated to 10.6.3 and installed NBI 0.8.3 and is working perfectly... also i had to remove any existent rest of SleepEnabler.kext (from Extra/Extensions.mkext too) otherwise i get KP on boot...

Hope it helps... also, anyone got internal/external MIC working?

update to 10.6.3 works, the problem ist XCode (Iphone SDK and MacOS SDK), XCode installs CPU Profililing Software onto

the Disk, and this crashes during boot. If i boot in verbose mode everything works, in normal boot mode i got a kernel panic.

i solved this, after i manually edited th boot.plist and added verbose to the kernel_flags.

my hackintosh now boots everytime in verbose mode, but everything else works great. i somewhere found someone else with

the same prolem, he is booting with recovery=y -v, but i think that recovery=y is not necesarry but boot up the machine.

well yesterday i downloaded kext for lan which now is working but I have a problem after update to 10.6.3 cannot see any videos with vlc i can rear audio no problems does anyone know why????

ps I enclose kext for lanAtherosL1cEthernet.kext.zip

I have fixed problem gma950 kext was not loading

• 2 weeks later...

First of all, thanks a ton pincopanko for posting that attansic ethernet kext. Never knew that existed. Now to the fun part. I had a fully working snow leo system on this, complete with dual-booting windows 7. I decided Win7 could go, and wanted to use up that 160gig just for osx. Instead of doing a backup and restore like i should have, I did a clean install. Everything works now except for my damn ALC272 audio. Does anybody know the right kext combination? I've tried about six now with mixed results. Oh by the way, I know about VoodooHDA. However, both mics functioning are a MUST. I can't believe it's proving this difficult to find something I already once had.

Thanks in advance,

Adam

EDIT: Disregard. Found it was VoodooHDA after all. By the way, the latest VoodooHDA from projectosx.com works just about perfect here. Dual mics, headphones, speakers, auto-sensing. For some reason, the built-in Speech application doesn't like to recognize my commands. I think I can live with that. Fantastic job here to everyone on the insanelymac forums.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all!

I'd like to thank everyone on here for getting this setup advanced so far! This makes for a great little Netbook now. I've done the dual boot with Chameleon and Win7 just for the fun of it but OSX is home 99% of my time and w/ a nice little Netbook it's soooooo sweet! ;)

Cdopher, I saw in your screen shoot you have a working battery meter? How did you get that working?

A working battery meter is the last thing on my list to get going!! :P

• 2 weeks later...
would like to thank you all.. This method has worked for my Emachines EM250, it has the BCM 43xx wifi in it which i cant seem to get working .. tried a few different enabler's/kext. anyone had any luck with this wifi card? its the ony issue i Have at the moment. apart from pc restarting when entering sleep mode. i have sleepenabler.kext but i mite be missing something?

any ideas on these 2 issues would be great

cheers!

I'm writing you from my eMachines with hackintosh on it and it's internal BMC 43xx network card. look for my posts to see if you can get it working too...

First of all, thanks a ton pincopanko for posting that attansic ethernet kext. Never knew that existed. Now to the fun part. I had a fully working snow leo system on this, complete with dual-booting windows 7. I decided Win7 could go, and wanted to use up that 160gig just for osx. Instead of doing a backup and restore like i should have, I did a clean install. Everything works now except for my damn ALC272 audio. Does anybody know the right kext combination? I've tried about six now with mixed results. Oh by the way, I know about VoodooHDA. However, both mics functioning are a MUST. I can't believe it's proving this difficult to find something I already once had.

Thanks in advance,

Adam

EDIT: Disregard. Found it was VoodooHDA after all. By the way, the latest VoodooHDA from projectosx.com works just about perfect here. Dual mics, headphones, speakers, auto-sensing. For some reason, the built-in Speech application doesn't like to recognize my commands. I think I can live with that. Fantastic job here to everyone on the insanelymac forums.

which version of voodoo hda are u usingfor dual mics ?????

• 4 weeks later...
@ZPK...Are you sure your able to use a dell 1395 wifi card cuz thats a full size mini card not a half height card which suggest your using the 3g slot on the bottom of your netbook. A lot of people think this is a extra pci-e slot since its the same as one but from what I've read normal pci-e mini cards don't work in this slot. I've tried my DW1390 in there and it is not seen. even after running broadcom script. Please clarify your set up if you can. thanks.

I know I am replying to an older post from December, but I am going NUTS trying to figure this out guys. I have a D250 and have been doing a lot of research on this as I wanted to have all my stuff lined up before I started setting up for OSX. I bought a DW1390 per the suggestion of several in this thread and others.

Much to my dismay after I had fully taken apart my d250 and went to install the card in the main slot I discovered that I had in fact bought the "full height" card. I am searching all over the place trying to find where in the world to buy a half-height card but I am going crazy. Best I can tell everywhere I look the 1390 appears to be a full size card??? Is this true or am i just clueless on how to search?

If someone could give me exactly what model I should get it would be greatly appreciated. I was trying to replace the original wifi chip so i can still use the switch to turn wireless on and off. That isnt really a deal breaker to me though. I have seen others comment that you can get the 1390 working in the much easier accessible port on the bottom with the pin 20 trick but I have questions on that....

Do you still have to reroute the wifi antennas to do that anyways? If so then what is the point in using the 2nd slot if you have to take the whole machine apart anyways ( i guess just so you can use the "full size card").

At this point I dont care what card I use and will buy another if need be. If someone can recommend the easiest card to use it would be great. If i do need to go the route of the 2nd slot and re-routing antennas can someone maybe link to a page or post pics of exactly how to re-route the antennas ? when i was in there it didnt seem like there was much slack to move them over to the free slot ?

By the way - once i am up and running ok to go to 10.6.4? any "new issues" to be aware of ? everything fully working yet ? (audio/ sleep/ ethernet/ wifi seem to be the main issues with this series?).

Thanks

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I can add some input here. I have this up and running on a D250 after several days of trying various things. Hopefully this can assist others to streamline their process.

I wanted a dual boot win 7/OSX machine. Initially I left my win7 install in place and created a separate partition in windows for my OSX install.

I could not get 10.5.7 going with Atheros 7 although I tried a couple of times. I wanted that due to a problem I had with getting gma950 working with qe enabled. In any event, the machine just restarted without even being able to see why, even booting in -x -v mode. But enough of that as this is supposed to be a snow leopard thread.

I originally installed this with nawcom CD preboot and at least the very basics seemed to work. I think sound was working and definitely the ethernet connection was working on install. This was consistent. I was using a 10.6.0 snow leopard DVD with nawcom. However, I tried for two days to get Quartz Extreme to work, and could not, nor could I get the graphics out of 800x600 mode.

I was about to give up when I noted that my dell mini 10v had the same graphics hardware and it was running quartz extreme. I had used netbootmaker on that so I tried to do this again on my Aspire1. Unfortunately, netbookmaker kicked me out due to not having the disk formatted in guid.

Since I had spent several days on this, and really wanted quartz extreme, I pulled out a 500gb blank hard drive and replaced the hard drive. Then I formatted it with disk utilities as a GUID disk, and installed OSX 10.6 using netbootmaker .83rc5. I got quartz extreme working right away. That was great. Then I installed Win7 and that installed, but I lost my OSX, so I had to install OSX after Win7, so I reinstalled win7. I installed easybcd as well.

I then reinstalled OSX using netbookmaker and got it working. I had to go back into windows and make windows active using the recovery portion of the install CD

DISKPART

LIST DISK

Select Disk 0

List Partition

Select Partition (Win7 Partition #)

Active

EXIT

Then I had to repair the startup disk with win7 recovery. This allowed me to boot back into windows and use easyBCD adding the OSX as MBR (NOT the recommended EFI)

I am back into OSX and can dual boot. I then used netbookinstaller .84 and it did not seem to work that well. I upgraded to 10.6.1, but don't want to go further. All attempts to upgrade to 10.6.2 failed with my nawcom install, likely due to the Atom incompatibility.

However, unlike with the nawcom CD install, I don't have ethernet. I see that there is some kexts for the ethernet port here:

http://code.google.com/p/iats/

I will try them. I do not have wifi with the netboot, or with nawcom, and I don't think I have sound right now with the netbookinstaller. I still have some work to do, but thought I would post my progress for others to see. Hopefully this helps someone.

EDIT: The kext for Snow leopard at the bottom for L1C worked. I also got the internal mic working using the steps in post #3 of this thread.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t=#entry1320927

• 2 months later...