Install SNOW LEOPARD 10.6 on ACER ASPIRE ONE D250

Duke Santos

70 posts in this topic

Installed off retail Snow Leopard disc, ran NetBook Installer thereafter, and then ran the Combo Updater to 10.6.2. Thanks, everyone who's contributed to this thread. It was indispensable in getting this far ...

Now, in order of paralyzing frustration, here are the hiccups that keep me from relying on this machine for *anything*:

Input/HID:

My keyboard, my trackpad, and my external USB Keyboard/Mouse all can't *click* or *type* anything for almost exactly 3 minutes. I can move the mouse around all I like, when menus have loaded. The Dock and Menu Bar mock me. After 3 minutes, it registers *all* clicks at once I think, and I'm able to use the !?@! thing. What, pray tell, can I do to get responsiveness sooner??

WiFi: I'm unclear what kind of wire I should get, for bridging the antenna to an AirPort Card I'm installing in the second PCI-E slot. Should I remove old wifi card altogether? What slot gets the 20-pin blocked? I have NO internet right now, except via iPhone tether. Kind of ironic to have only that available for internet access on a laptop. :-)

QE/CI:

Ran the Netbook Installer's enabler. Restarted. Waited for the 3 minutes before I was allowed to click. It, uh, it didn't actually do anything. My chipset says Intel GMA950 in System Profile ... not sure how much I can trust the text in that thing though, at this point.

Sleep/Hibernate:

Does *anyone* have Sleep actually allowing them to close lid, reopen lid, and resume without a restart?

SpeedStep:

Does anyone have a kext for this loaded in, which helps power management? I've got the 3-cell battery and it's lasting ... sub 2 hours.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, I own an Acer Aspire One D250 and a Windows 7 machine. Today I ordered Snow Leo and a 16 GB USB Stick.

What do I have to do or download now? This NetbookBootMaker is for OS X only, so how do I manage to get my Netbook started?

EDIT: Please help me! I'm SO ready to go! -_-

• 4 weeks later...
Does no one know how to do it without a Mac?

Or can you get everything that I have to copy to my USB Stick online somehow?

You should be able to get all the software you need put onto USB keys and make bootable in Windows. Put osx86tools onto USBkey so you can use it once you have 10.6.0 running on the Acer. LIkewise, Netbookinstaller is meant to run from within the running Snow Leopard install and will put a bootloader on your machine (tells the Acer to actually boot from that SL partition) and gets your install ready for upgrade to 10.6.2.

So, no, I don't think you need an existing mac to make this happen.

This fourm reply is driving me nuts, i do not see a cursor and it acts weird. (running 7 and firefox 3.6) Anyway i followed this guide and http://www.mydellmini.com/forum/dual-booting-guides/16626-simple-way-create-dual-boot-snow-leopard-windows-7-a.html that guide and got it dual booting working. except its set to autoboot mac osx first instead of 7 like i like (i can live with that, and dont want look up how to change it atm) I had to (f*** this i give up with this browser or w.e that is causing this problem, my text got deleted tring to unbold it)

can I have winXP (or 7) and SL together?

i dont want to lose my guarantee

This fourm reply is driving me nuts, i do not see a cursor and it acts weird. (running 7 and firefox 3.6) Anyway i followed this guide and http://www.mydellmini.com/forum/dual-booting-guides/16626-simple-way-create-dual-boot-snow-leopard-windows-7-a.html that guide and got it dual booting working. except its set to autoboot mac osx first instead of 7 like i like (i can live with that, and dont want look up how to change it atm) I had to (f*** this i give up with this browser or w.e that is causing this problem, my text got deleted tring to unbold it)

HI!

Thanks! BTW I finally bought an Asus eee and I installed Snow Leopard, hehe!

:lol:

I've tried to "tap" pin 20 with sellotape

(photos here http://www.flickr.com/photos/8594621@N02/s...57623611399692/ )

but with no luck..

i didn't remove the inside atheros wifi card, must i ?

help guys, when you say "tap" or sometimes "tape" you mean realy tape the pin, or something else ?

Thanx!

I can't write a perfect how-to, but I do have a running 10.6.2 on a D250:

screenshot20100112at103.png

What I did in general:

1) upgraded memory to 2GB.

2) upgraded wireless card to DW1510 - works works works no question. Save yourself headaches of kexts for Atheros and just f'ing upgrade the card. You may be able to get other cards to work in the other PCI-E bay by taping pin 20, I DON'T KNOW.

3) Get 16GB USB key - put image of Snow Leopard on it (I used Snowie from torrents, but own SL DVD, too). Plenty info online about restoring dmg to usb

4) Used NetbookBootMaker 0.8.3 to make SnowUSB bootable.

5) Downloaded and put on the SnowUSB the following files in prep:

• KextHelper7 program
  • osx86tools
  • Mac OSX 10.6.2 combo update
  • NetbookInstaller 0.8.3
  • latest SleepEnabler.kext from Meklort's blog
  • VoodooHDA.kext

6) Wipe the whole Acer harddrive. I used Gparted to well and truly wipe. Disk Utility may miss hidden EFI partition and if you have a bootloader from a previous attempt it can interfere.

7) Update Acer D250 BIOS to 1.25!!! This may require an hour of work itself just to make bootable DOS key, but I just used the instructions here and they worked like magic. Need Windows to make happen, tho. I cannot stress this step enough. Your update to 10.6.2 will fail if you do not update the BIOS. You can, however, have a just-fine stable 10.6.0 system.

8) Boot from SnowUSB. Of course, plug it in, turn on Acer, hit F2 immediately and tell BIOS to boot from THAT USB key, hit F10 to save and reboot. SL installer should start - follow steps as usual. Use the installer's Disk Utility to reformat the drive and put the requisite HFS+ formatted partition in place. -- Note: Pull SnowUSB out during installer's reboot, or else you'll just boot back into the USB key again.

9) Immediately install NetbookInstaller and let it finish. Then mount 10.6.2 combo update image and let it do the update. Again, make sure your SnowUSB is no longer plugged in when the machine reboots during this process, your BIOS will still be looking for USB keys first.

10) Using KextHelper7, install VoodooHDA to get speakers working (I don't have mic working yet) and SleepEnabler to allow sleep (though waking makes my machine reboot anyhow; I can live with that.) Use OSx86tools to Repair Permissions, then reboot. You should have a stable 10.6.2 system.

Many tweaks can be made from here, but at this point, trackpad works, wifi works, camera works; and I need to move on to installing programs so I can send my regular Mac in for repair. Maybe I will play with tweaks (like to get multi-core support back) at a later date.

If possible, could you please post your voodoohda kext? I'm having a {censored} of a time trying to get this to work on this netbook for some reason. On my AOA150, I got sound to work right away with voodoohda, but I'm not getting anywhere with my AOD250... I've tried about 4 different voodoohdas and 3 different applehdas all supposed to be working for Leopard. The sound card is a Realtek ALC272.

Working BCM43xx (including Dell 1390) :

- Install kexts from "Archiwum" with kextloader

- Repair permissions

- Using kismac add Airport driver in active mode

- Scan for networks (you have to do it only once)

- Connect to your network using Airport

- Enjoy! :D

Download

I can't write a perfect how-to, but I do have a running 10.6.2 on a D250:

What I did in general:

1) upgraded memory to 2GB.

2) upgraded wireless card to DW1510 - works works works no question. Save yourself headaches of kexts for Atheros and just f'ing upgrade the card. You may be able to get other cards to work in the other PCI-E bay by taping pin 20, I DON'T KNOW.

3) Get 16GB USB key - put image of Snow Leopard on it (I used Snowie from torrents, but own SL DVD, too). Plenty info online about restoring dmg to usb

4) Used NetbookBootMaker 0.8.3 to make SnowUSB bootable.

5) Downloaded and put on the SnowUSB the following files in prep:

• KextHelper7 program
  • osx86tools
  • Mac OSX 10.6.2 combo update
  • NetbookInstaller 0.8.3
  • latest SleepEnabler.kext from Meklort's blog
  • VoodooHDA.kext

6) Wipe the whole Acer harddrive. I used Gparted to well and truly wipe. Disk Utility may miss hidden EFI partition and if you have a bootloader from a previous attempt it can interfere.

7) Update Acer D250 BIOS to 1.25!!! This may require an hour of work itself just to make bootable DOS key, but I just used the instructions here and they worked like magic. Need Windows to make happen, tho. I cannot stress this step enough. Your update to 10.6.2 will fail if you do not update the BIOS. You can, however, have a just-fine stable 10.6.0 system.

8) Boot from SnowUSB. Of course, plug it in, turn on Acer, hit F2 immediately and tell BIOS to boot from THAT USB key, hit F10 to save and reboot. SL installer should start - follow steps as usual. Use the installer's Disk Utility to reformat the drive and put the requisite HFS+ formatted partition in place. -- Note: Pull SnowUSB out during installer's reboot, or else you'll just boot back into the USB key again.

9) Immediately install NetbookInstaller and let it finish. Then mount 10.6.2 combo update image and let it do the update. Again, make sure your SnowUSB is no longer plugged in when the machine reboots during this process, your BIOS will still be looking for USB keys first.

10) Using KextHelper7, install VoodooHDA to get speakers working (I don't have mic working yet) and SleepEnabler to allow sleep (though waking makes my machine reboot anyhow; I can live with that.) Use OSx86tools to Repair Permissions, then reboot. You should have a stable 10.6.2 system.

Many tweaks can be made from here, but at this point, trackpad works, wifi works, camera works; and I need to move on to installing programs so I can send my regular Mac in for repair. Maybe I will play with tweaks (like to get multi-core support back) at a later date.

Just got a new D250 with the N280 processor and followed cdopher's guide quoted above. The install went smoothly and was pleasantly surprised to find the built-in wireless-N card just worked. I was expecting to have to replace it given all the comments posted here.

I am having the same problem with SleepEnabler that cdopher reported on, and the ethernet port does not work. I can live with this.

Thanks cdopher! If you've tweaked your system any further, I hope you'll post your results.

H50

- Repair permissions

- Enjoy! :(

Download

I dont understand, this Kext work for the half-size pci-e card? or a standard pci-e card in the second slot?

Thank in advance.

I've tried to "tap" pin 20 with sellotape

(photos here http://www.flickr.com/photos/8594621@N02/s...57623611399692/ )

but with no luck..

i didn't remove the inside atheros wifi card, must i ?

help guys, when you say "tap" or sometimes "tape" you mean realy tape the pin, or something else ?

Thanx!

Hello!

I have made this hack, and work fine! But it's a little more tricky.

I have remove the half-seize card inside. See Post #6

I have notice that the "tape" method is not safe of problem...

My method is simple and radical. I cut the pin 20. at your own risk!!

I hope its help

Hello!

I have made this hack, and work fine! But it's a little more tricky.

I have remove the half-seize card inside. See Post #6

I have notice that the "tape" method is not safe of problem...

My method is simple and radical. I cut the pin 20. at your own risk!!

I hope its help

Is there any chance on making it work? Can you help with pictures or something..?

• 3 weeks later...
Is there any chance on making it work? Can you help with pictures or something..?

I try to the picture, but fails " Upload failed. Please ask the administrator to check the settings and permissions" F***!

I don't want to open my computer again. But I'll post pict soon I re-open it!

Hope it help!

post-9734-1271663669_thumb.jpg

post-9734-1271664016_thumb.jpg

ok.. i see it..

but the thing is i've located the same pin but only tried the tape version of the sollution and didn't seam to work..

so how can i permenently remove it without damaging the card?

anyone?

ok.. i see it..

but the thing is i've located the same pin but only tried the tape version of the sollution and didn't seam to work..

so how can i permenently remove it without damaging the card?

anyone?

I think, you have to remove the other wifi card, the half-size!

replace you tape with a strong one...

- Repair permissions

- Enjoy! :D

Download

My D250 has a Broadcom BMC4312HMG card. I followed the steps above. I open Kismac and go to "File" and choose "New". Then I go to "Channel" and in the drop down it says "No Driver Loaded". I installed the Archiwum kexts (both of them in the zip file" using kextloader and I repaired permissions. Any ideas?

As a back up, I bought a mini USB 802.11 b/g/n dongle that works great. It was only $10 with free shipping. If I can't get the internal card to work, this will do nicely.

would like to thank you all.. This method has worked for my Emachines EM250, it has the BCM 43xx wifi in it which i cant seem to get working .. tried a few different enabler's/kext. anyone had any luck with this wifi card? its the ony issue i Have at the moment. apart from pc restarting when entering sleep mode. i have sleepenabler.kext but i mite be missing something?

any ideas on these 2 issues would be great

cheers!