SMB shares/ mounting?

itjstagame

5 posts in this topic

I'm completely new to MacOS and OSX, I just got it installed on my Thinkpad T60 2623-DAU, albeit with a number of remaining issues.

But I'm up and running, and updating and using safari with an ethernet cord and anxious to test movie playback and mess with the Time backup feature on a network drive.

But Snow Leopard will not connect to my samba shares. I see many threads with issues when people switched to Tiger to Leopard, all of a sudden smb passwords did not work correctly. I have not seen any with any useful solution.

I can use smbclient from the mac perfectly fine, but there's no smbmount option, using finder and browsing to a server of smb://mycomp/datashare/ it prompts for username and password and keeps saying invalid when I know they're valid (cause they work for everyone else including smbclient).

Has anyway had this issue and got around it?

I solved this, there were a couple 'solutions' that were mentioned, one being that a password of all numbers would work, but for me it was only my Debian shares and it was my smb.conf setting of 'security=share' that I guess OSX has trouble with.

Setting it to security=user allowed OSX to authenticate at a user level correctly (or something). Security=share seems useful only if you want anonymous guest access on a share, none of mine were like this, they all required logins anyway with 'guest=no'.

Just as an FYI, Samba implements several different security/authentication methods, as set via the "security" option in smb.conf. Setting "security = share" implements share-level security, which is the security model used by Windows 9x/Me. Because these OSes don't really use accounts, each share has its own password. Samba tries to emulate this approach by testing the password sent for share access against a list of likely accounts. (The smb.conf man page describes this process; search for the section that begins "When clients connect to a share level security server...") Samba offers this option so that a Samba server can directly replace a Windows 9x/Me server with little or no need to modify the clients. In your case, it was obviously causing problems, I'm guessing because OS X was sending the wrong password, or perhaps OS X was sending a username that was confusing Samba.

The "security = user" specification implements security in a way that better matches the way Windows NT/200x/XP/Vista/7, Linux, and OS X all handle users and passwords, so it's definitely the preferred method for modern networks. (The "security = server", "security = domain", and "security = ads" options are variants of "security = user" that employ a second Samba or Windows server to do the authentication, rather than using a password database on the first Samba server.)

Yes that's interesting. Way back when I first set up the smb.conf I had a 98SE machine and a bunch of Win 2000 machines, maybe I had to change it to =user for that reason.

It's odd that it would affect OSX though, I use the same username/password on all my boxes simply because this aids in things like this. For instance Windows to Windows doesn't prompt at all it recognizes the same account/password, same with Windows to Linux sometimes.

Anyway I searched for hours and saw many asking the question having issues with Leopard and Snow Leopard, here's the link I eventually found solutions in: http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?t...=0&tstart=0

There's a lot mentioned, like making a password just numbers, or putting domain;user@computer/share, etc and eventually someone with a linux server mentioned the 'security' setting. This thread deals with connecting to windows shares, my Snow Leopard never had an issue with that, so I think there must have been other problems with Leopard smb that's been mostly corrected.

One more thing I'll note, after getting this working I wanted to use Time Machine to my RAID 5 linux box, this took another hours of searching, here's the solution so you can back up to a smb share: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=184462