Vanilla Install on MSI Wind

238 posts in this topic

Now ... I have a question ... is

STA_RT2860 D-1.1.2.0 UI-1.7.1.0_2009_02_17.dmg the latest and greatest for wind u100 with rt2700e? It doesn't say 10.6 compatible so I'm not sure.

I found it at http://www.ralinktech.com/support.php?s=3 for anyone who is interested

Thank you

I tried that driver on my Wind, and I have dropouts every 10-12 seconds with OSX 10.6 and my RALink card.

I finally gave up and ordered a new WLAN card. Since I did not want B/G only, which is what the Dell 1490 everyone recommends is limited to, I did some googling.

I finally found this "Apple Wireless WiFi Card BCM94321 BCM4321" (http://snipurl.com/skfp7) at just over $15. It is dual band on N and also does B/G ofcourse. I also found out that you can buy it as Dell 1505 WLAN, and it will still be detected as a real applecard under OSX.

Also found a cached version of an MSIwind.net page containing a howto about putting this broadcom based card in the Wind, but cannot find it just now...

ok actually i just discovered i can connect to another wifi network so it turns out it is actually a problem with my wifi probably router needs reseting or something

so i can safely say now i have a fully working 100% Snow Leopard 10.6.1 install

Thanks you very much to dalton and the others who have helped out with everything

How do I make scrolling work on the sentellic pad? Can I use Daiw's kext? where would I put it? (Vanilla noob here)

If you followed the instructions in this, "jiggle" the sliders in the trackpad pref settings. I.E., adjust them and then move them back to where they were. I have a sentelic trackpad, and this allowed me to do real slide scroll both vertically and horizontally.

Worked great for me! Not a single hitch - Installed, loaded Bootloader and kexts and updated to 6.1 no problem. Can I remove the VoodooPS2 kext and replace it with the sentelic one? I have no scrolling right now. Or is there another solution?

Dalton's SL vanilla install worked great for me, too. My only issue so far is that I can't double tap the touchpad to open items. Any idea how to fix this?

Dalton's SL vanilla install worked great for me, too. My only issue so far is that I can't double tap the touchpad to open items. Any idea how to fix this?

just go to the trackpad settings in system prefrences and you can enable it there, it is turned off as default

Now ... I have a question ... is

STA_RT2860 D-1.1.2.0 UI-1.7.1.0_2009_02_17.dmg the latest and greatest for wind u100 with rt2700e? It doesn't say 10.6 compatible so I'm not sure.

I found it at http://www.ralinktech.com/support.php?s=3 for anyone who is interested

I installed it today and it works. I don't have any connectivity issues as stated elsewhere. rt2700e card is seen as Ethernet 2 but this is exactly the same as it was in Leopard.

If you followed the instructions in this, "jiggle" the sliders in the trackpad pref settings. I.E., adjust them and then move them back to where they were. I have a sentelic trackpad, and this allowed me to do real slide scroll both vertically and horizontally.

I can't believe it was that easy! It works. Thanks!

I swear I knew this. Worked. Thanks.

Hail Dalton63xyz!

Thanks to you and some other hard hacking people was i able to finale install SL 10.6 on my new MSI Wind Luxury Ed.

I have to say: WOW! (Non M$ stile!)

It works much better then i expected. It really works even better then my MacBook from late 2006 (1.83 GHz Core Duo).

After replacement of WLAN card and adding some RAM i am ready to do real work with it.

Do you have some hints what to do with camera and mic? Are there any .kext out there?

I will donate some money to you because of the great help you were with your scripts and .kext files!

Thanks from germany!

Dear Dalton:

I am confused after step 4 in your tutorial:

>4. Reboot, hit F11, and begin installing. When it is finished it will say "Install Failed". Ignore that. It only says that because >there is no bootloader on the hard drive yet.

> Chameleon_2_RC3.zip ( 818.09K ) Number of downloads: 315

>Thanks to Dr. Hurt. Only by modifying his installer could I make the process this easy.

In one of your replies, you mentioned these are really two tutorials in this thread. Am I correct to assume that the EFI Tutorial is not required to get the USB install to work ? If so, how to continue after step 4 ? How would I add the bootloader to the internal HD ?

Thank you very much for all your efforts in helping others like myself.

Regards

Dear Dalton:

I am confused after step 4 in your tutorial:

>4. Reboot, hit F11, and begin installing. When it is finished it will say "Install Failed". Ignore that. It only says that because >there is no bootloader on the hard drive yet.

> Chameleon_2_RC3.zip ( 818.09K ) Number of downloads: 315

>Thanks to Dr. Hurt. Only by modifying his installer could I make the process this easy.

In one of your replies, you mentioned these are really two tutorials in this thread. Am I correct to assume that the EFI Tutorial is not required to get the USB install to work ? If so, how to continue after step 4 ? How would I add the bootloader to the internal HD ?

Thank you very much for all your efforts in helping others like myself.

Regards

You have to complete both tutorials. The top one Installs the actual OS, The secondone (18's) actually sets up the bootloader and kexts that allow this to work. Basically follow the first post from top to bottom in the exact order its in. Once you're done with part one, reboot and hit F11 to boot off of the flash drive, then boot from the snowywindosx partition. You will load up the rest of the osx setup wizard, then taken to the desktop that will have the wrong resolution (800x600 stretched for me). Next follow the remainder of the tutorial from that desktop.

Dalton indeed with the modified chameleon installer it goes one step easier but you forgot to mention about the UUID.kext and error 35

In brief:

On the attached vanilla.zip file in the first post

look for UUID.kext then right click and choose show package content and go to the content folder

edit with textedit the info.plist file

find the 002185E6B266 string and replace it with your own mac adress, you can find it in system profiler under ethernet. Enter it without dashes or spaces. save and update your EFI.

If you want Sleep on Lid Close you have two choices. One is DSDT patching. The other is ClamshellDisplay,kext. For ClamshellDisplay.kext open terminal and type:

sudo -s

cd ~/Downloads/Vanilla/SLEkext/_disabled

mv *.kext ~/Downloads/Vanilla/SLEkext/

cd ..

./update.sh

Then reboot.

Did anyone save the instructions for DSDT patching for the MSI Wind off of the old forums? I want to Patch mine for sleep in order to be as close as possible for Vanilla, but I'm not quite sure where to start.

Did anyone save the instructions for DSDT patching for the MSI Wind off of the old forums? I want to Patch mine for sleep in order to be as close as possible for Vanilla, but I'm not quite sure where to start.

Might try that one, search for LID0 and add the red line, should work or not.

MSI WIND LID sleep fix

This code fixes sleep in the MSI laptops when you close the lid

Original Code:

Device (LID0)

{

Name (_HID, EisaId ("PNP0C0D"))

Method (_LID, 0, NotSerialized)

{

If (MYEC)

{

Store (LIDS, Local0)

}

Else

{

Store (One, Local0)

}

Return (Local0)

}

}

Method (_Q80, 0, NotSerialized)

It must be changed to: -----------------------------------

Device (LID0)

{

Name (_HID, EisaId ("PNP0C0D"))

Method (_LID, 0, NotSerialized)

{

XOr (LIDS, One, Local0)

If (Local0)

{

Notify (SLPB, 0x80)

}

Return (LIDS)

}

}

Method (_Q80, 0, NotSerialized

Took it from DSDTSE

Hey thanks for the tutorial. Both the install and EFI guide were quite simple to follow and get done. I also even did the DSDT patch for sleep and USB fix, which works great. Was kinda worried I'd mess that up since all I did was look at the code. I also tried to patch the DSDT for visual fixes, for the wifi, gfx, lan, audio but that gave me compile errors. Maybe my .dsl is different.... Other than that any reason why the video would be bad? When I tried to play a youtube video it stuttered a bit.

You have to complete both tutorials. The top one Installs the actual OS, The secondone (18's) actually sets up the bootloader and kexts that allow this to work. Basically follow the first post from top to bottom in the exact order its in. Once you're done with part one, reboot and hit F11 to boot off of the flash drive, then boot from the snowywindosx partition. You will load up the rest of the osx setup wizard, then taken to the desktop that will have the wrong resolution (800x600 stretched for me). Next follow the remainder of the tutorial from that desktop.

I am getting very close to a successful install. My final boot up comes with a 800x600 stretched screen and the track pad doesn't work. I recall there were a few errors in running the scripts in step 8 and step 9. I noticed a few errors on the scripts output. no such directory /Volumes/EFI... etc.

My plan is to rerun the two scripts. I suppose I will have to mount the EFI partition (Step 3) before running the script.

Update: There is no need to mount the EFI. Running the scripts again seems to solve the track pad and screen resolution problem. Its getting late and I shall continue this experiment tomorrow.

Thanks you Dalton and all the folks for your helps and advices.

first of all - thanks for that great guide !

After I had some probs because I used the migrationAssistant during instalation and it took over my InSomnia App which caused my system to crash during startup - I finally got it running with camara, touchpad and sound - great work - thanks.

BUT :D ....

I have a problem with my internal (ISO) keyboard on my wind - it has an additional key between the left-shift and the Z (or in germany Y) used for "<>|". This key is not even recognized in snowleo so i can not so anything with ukelele or so ... trying to switch the key<board type fails, because i do not even have the "change keyboard type" link in the keyboard prefs pane (yes i repaired permissions etc.) In Leo there were patched ApplePSController.kext or VoodooPS2Controller.kext working but I don't get them (of course snowleo versions) working on my new installation (kernel panic in the realtek driver!!! - strange when trying to use them from my EFI partition.

Anybode out there with the same prob and/or a solution for it ?

thanks in advance

Thomas