Vanilla Install on MSI Wind

238 posts in this topic

go ahead and run ./update.sh also.

Dalton,

I'm curious- I just updated to 10.6.1 and everything seems to work fine without running 27ae.sh and update.sh. What do these scripts do, and do I need to run them even though everything seems to be working normally?

I'm interested in your solution. Could you please explain what did you do to dual boot SL and XP?

Thanks

Instructions for dual boot SL/WinXP using Dalton's retail install method (post 1 of this thread).

I'm probably annoying, and Im sure the answers to my questions are hiding over at msiwind.net, but I'm in need of some smart help. I had SL up and working, except battery mgmt, stuck at 800x600, and no sound. I started with the GMA kext, but rebooted and got hung on the apple/circle screen with a semi-working cursor. I tried shift booting to safe mode but no dice. Tried cmd+opt+P+R, no dice.

I don't wanna lose my install, but if I get a definite fix I will.

(USB method)

Can I use a Snow Leopard that I've downloaded thru torrent to replace the retail CD? If so, did any of you guys tried using it? How was it?

I bought the Snow Leopard "upgrade" disk (MC223Z/A) for $29. I think Amazon may have it for $25. This "upgrade" disk actually has the full install. This is what I used and it worked great.

While I would fully advocate buying the $29 upgrade disc, I have actually used the Gold Master copy that was floating around for awhile. Something torrented will work, I just think throwing a few bucks towards Apple would be kind. Since I had to upgrade my MBP with the SL disc, it worked out fine in the end.

I've been running retail on my wind since back in August, thanks to Dalton's help over on msiwind.net :)

I saw the thread here and figured the Vanilla files in this would be more recent.

Ran the update.sh's for and the 27 update, and uh oh.

I get a ton of "skipping duplicate extension" errors on boot now and a kernel panic.

Am I hosed? :(

edit: doh. I can't even boot into single user mode. booting without caches gets me as far as the silver apple screen and the eternally spinning ring of frustrations. Ooooh {censored}. I'm still running cham-RC2. Didn't figure it would be explicitly dependent on it, but that was a silly assumption, wasn't it.

edit2: whew. was able to boot the installer using the SD card with the bootloader. giving it a rundown with disk utility.

edit3: couldn't fix it so I did a fresh install as all my data was backed up anyway. now it keeps hanging at the tap/tun drivers during boot. yeargh. :)

Install SwitchResX, set the resolution, reboot, and then feel free to uninstall it.

Thanks for the concise guide on installing SL. I'm having trouble with the screen resolution. Stuck in 800x600 with the big black bar on the right side of the screen. Am trying to use SwitchResX to no avail. What custom settings are you running? I know the resolution is 1024x600, but at what refresh rate, etc?

Hi!

2. In Disk Utility Click on the Restore tab. Set the unnamed partition as the Destination. Mount the Snow ISO, and on the left column right click the mounted Snow image and click "Set as Source". Now click restore and wait for it to finish.

I have a serious problem. My Snow Leopard retail disk works fine with MacBooks and iMacs. But i can not get it copied succesfully on any kind of media with the Restore option. After copying nearly everything i get a message that resoring is not allowed.

I tryed it nonetheless but after 15-25% of the installation the msi wind went off. Where can i get a copy of SL without this damn new restore protection? Or am i doing anything wrong?

I also tryed it directly with the original DVD and an external drive. But this crashes also nearly after the same time.

HELP!

My original CD is from the family pack 5 licenses + iWork09 + iLife09 (europe/germany).

maybe this SL DVDs are not normal ones?

wkr

Hi!

I have a serious problem. My Snow Leopard retail disk works fine with MacBooks and iMacs. But i can not get it copied succesfully on any kind of media with the Restore option. After copying nearly everything i get a message that resoring is not allowed.

I tryed it nonetheless but after 15-25% of the installation the msi wind went off. Where can i get a copy of SL without this damn new restore protection? Or am i doing anything wrong?

I also tryed it directly with the original DVD and an external drive. But this crashes also nearly after the same time.

HELP!

My original CD is from the family pack 5 licenses + iWork09 + iLife09 (europe/germany).

maybe this SL DVDs are not normal ones?

wkr

I seem to remember I had this same problem trying to do it with a Leopard disk. I believe you need to create a .dmg of the disk first, THEN restore it to the USB installer. If this doesn't work, I would "acquire" a SL image from a torrent site since you already spent the money on it to begin with.

How long does it typically take to restore the snowy dmg to a flash drive?

Mine's been running for about an hour now and says the Est. Time remaining is 7 hours.

Anyone know how long it will REALLY take? I'm using a Macbook, I figured it has a little more power than the wind.

How long does it typically take to restore the snowy dmg to a flash drive?

Mine's been running for about an hour now and says the Est. Time remaining is 7 hours.

Anyone know how long it will REALLY take? I'm using a Macbook, I figured it has a little more power than the wind.

I think its related to the speed of your USB key. First time I did this it took almost 2hrs, now on same hackintosh and a faster 16gb Sony key it took only 20-30 minutes.

The snow leopard install is pretty long though...

Everything working great by the way, all updates applied.

Thanks for the great install guide Dalton.

Dalton,

I gave this method a shot, I paid great attention to every step changing the "X" to the correct disk since it was an external I was writing to. I ended up getting a kernel panic.

It seems everyone on this thread has had little difficulty getting it to work on their internal hard drive. Is it possible writing to an external could be a problem or something else that seems small? For instance I have 2 gigs of Kingston ram instead of the onboard one gig (which is shut off).

Also, I did receive the "Install failed" message but ignored it as I read in an earlier post it's normal.

Dalton,

I gave this method a shot, I paid great attention to every step changing the "X" to the correct disk since it was an external I was writing to. I ended up getting a kernel panic.

It seems everyone on this thread has had little difficulty getting it to work on their internal hard drive. Is it possible writing to an external could be a problem or something else that seems small? For instance I have 2 gigs of Kingston ram instead of the onboard one gig (which is shut off).

Also, I did receive the "Install failed" message but ignored it as I read in an earlier post it's normal.

I was able to install on external with no problems. I'm installing on internal as we speed ...

Dalton,

you're not alone. I got kp after kp. It's been 2 weeks since I got my SL disc and only now do I have a semi-working system, no sound, no webcam, no trackpad, and {censored} graphics. It's a work in progress.

I was able to install on external with no problems. I'm installing on internal as we speed ...

I just finished installing dual boot snow/xp to my internal hdd. All looks good for now. Thank you Dalton63841 for your excellent step-by-step how to install Vanilla on Wind u100. I would also like to thank McWanabe for his dual boot input ... it works! Also great thx to 18seven which I followed on www.msiwind.net

Now ... I have a question ... is

STA_RT2860 D-1.1.2.0 UI-1.7.1.0_2009_02_17.dmg the latest and greatest for wind u100 with rt2700e? It doesn't say 10.6 compatible so I'm not sure.

I found it at http://www.ralinktech.com/support.php?s=3 for anyone who is interested

Thank you

Dalton,

I have a U100-432US which has the Vanilla Install from THIS thread working perfectly. When I followed it in its beta stage over on msiwind forums, I screwed it up probably 4 times. I think three of those times resulted in KPs. My best advice would be to make sure the creation of the USB stick is perfect. After that, customize your install so that only the core is installed to your HDD. Remove the printers, rosetta, quicktime 7, and anything else that isn't grayed out. I have found this consistently works for me.

hi guys

this forum and the one over at msiwind.net (when it was still up) have been off massive help for me over the past few months not only with my advent 4211 (wind) but also with my desktop pc.

so i decided to take the plunge yesterday and upgrade to snow leopard and the install went perfect exactley as described in this tutorial, booted up followed EFI tutorial installed kext perfect everything working.

apart from the wifi.....ive got the realtek rtl8187se card and previously had this working on 10.5.8 with the utility that was going around, tried nstalling that on SL and have had the same issue that someone else previously mentioned about the signal dropping out and disconnecting every 10 secs or so

have tried googling and searching everywhere with no luck to a solution for this and it obviously dosent help with the msiwind forum being down, but does anyone here no if there is a solution for this yet?

thanks in advanace.

chris