• Please log in to reply
237 replies to this topic

splonk

splonk

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

You mean to say that Vanilla installation+EFI makes it almost impossible to dual boot with Win OS? If so, would VMWare or Parallels be fast on our Wind?

Or much better if I just sit back and wait for you to release your Snowy ISO? BTW, I can install Snowy ISO given that I have already installed in one partition XP much like when I installed msiwindosx86?

I really appreciate you being patient with me regarding this topic. ;)

You can dual boot Leopard and XP on a GUID set up. I have done it, it's a little fiddly but doable. Never tried it with Snow Leopard as I upgraded to Win 7 via Technet before 10.6 came out.

If you want to try with Snow Leopard, make sure you only use Disk Utility to partition your drive. It creates a GUID/MBR synched partition map, so that XP can read it. If you try any of the Linux partition tools, I don't think it works.

I found for Leopard that the only setup that worked was:

1st partition: EFI
2nd partition: Leopard
3rd partition: XP

which is the opposite of what you might expect. I could not get it to work with XP before Leopard, although that is usually what is recommended. I used Chameleon 2 RC2 as the bootloader. You won't be able to resize the partitions once done, so work out what you think you might need first before installing.

I found a couple of articles that explain this partition scheme in more detail, but it is a matter of trying it out for yourself. It took ages for me until I worked out the Leopard needed to come higher up in the partition hierarchy, as XP installed easily, but Leopard refused to install on the remaining partition.

http://www.mlvision...._and_Windows_XP
http://wiki.onmac.ne...ot_via_BootCamp

zirkwander

zirkwander

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
I think it's doable. In my set up:

1 XP partition
2 Mac OSX partition
3 Mac OSX Slipstream DVD

I didn't used Chameleon because from what I've read, it messes something with the set up of msiwindosx86. I just learned how to accept the ugliness of Darwin Bootloader. :)

BTW, I loaded the iso to the third partition using Leopard HD Installer Helper. Which I learned in the msiwind forums.

Dalton63841

Dalton63841

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

I think it's doable. In my set up:

1 XP partition
2 Mac OSX partition
3 Mac OSX Slipstream DVD

I didn't used Chameleon because from what I've read, it messes something with the set up of msiwindosx86. I just learned how to accept the ugliness of Darwin Bootloader. :(

BTW, I loaded the iso to the third partition using Leopard HD Installer Helper. Which I learned in the msiwind forums.

I used msiwindosx86 the first month I owned my Wind and I used Chameleon 2. Show hidden files, go to the root of the partition, and delete the boot file. Then install Chameleon 2.

Aargh-a-Knot

Aargh-a-Knot

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
Hey there. I was glad to see this pop up here, as the msiwind.net site being down made things difficult.

First, a small preface: I made a HacBook Nano back in the day, using the windosx86 distro. Then, when boot-132 method came out, I re-did it with that. I wound up selling it to a friend, a girl no less, and figured this would come back to haunt me. Well, it did... and I agreed to fix it for her. I finally just got everything reinstalled using a google cached version of the original post from msiwind.net site, using this method. I decided to NOT go with snow, as this just leaves it open to more of the original error, which was caused by said-girl updating the OS against my recommendations. I figure, if shes at 10.5.8, there's less chance she will F it up. Anyway, I patched the dsdt, and everything works great, except for the sound, which is why I'm writing this post.

I found the voodoohda helper and pref pane in the Vanilla folder, but haven't been able to get anywhere with it. When I run the voodoohda helper, it opens up the terminal and says "error: IORegistryEntryGetPath returned 0x10000003"

I tried installing the pref pane, and it gives me a bunch of errors, and crashes prefs if I open it up. I read through a bunch of cached pages from the msiwind site, but I'm not finding the info I'm looking for.

Can anyone help me install the voodoo sound? Thanks!

Remember, I'm on 10.5.8

EDIT: Never mind. Turned out to be more trouble than it was worth. I just threw azalia in there and installed audieee4wind and it works great. I'm moving it on, glad to be done with it. Did make me kinda miss the little guy tho. ;)

Anyway, thanks 18seven for the original guide on msiwind.net.

raymondlee

raymondlee

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
i cannot download the file attracted in this guide, can anyone upload the file to other file hosting website such as sendspace. THANKS a lot

secanbj

secanbj

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Newbies
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi Dalton

I am super impressed buy your work and have of course donated.

I have been able to follow your USB boot tut and then the EFI tut without issues, so i have a working Snow installation. The only thing that is a issue is that neither the built in mic or if i connect a mic is working. is this a known thing or is it only my wind that has this problem. Btw the audio is working perfect, both internal speaker or connected headphones. Any help is appreciated

Regards
anders

Dalton63841

Dalton63841

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Hi Dalton

I am super impressed buy your work and have of course donated.

I have been able to follow your USB boot tut and then the EFI tut without issues, so i have a working Snow installation. The only thing that is a issue is that neither the built in mic or if i connect a mic is working. is this a known thing or is it only my wind that has this problem. Btw the audio is working perfect, both internal speaker or connected headphones. Any help is appreciated

Regards
anders

Actually the VoodooHDA kext I installed is altered so that the internal mic AND external mic DO work. However you need to google VoodooHDA prefpane. Once you install the prefpane just keep adjusting the settings until it is right.

secanbj

secanbj

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Newbies
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I knew that you would be able to help me!! Now everything is working, thanks a million times

/Anders

zirkwander

zirkwander

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
I'll just bump this up in case anyone from the msiwind forums are still searching a way to do a retail install of SL to their wind. :)

Roberttoja

Roberttoja

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi Dalton,
could post a list of kexts from msiwind.net slimming osx thread?
Regards

daryl0505

daryl0505

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello guys, I managed lately to install SL with 10.6.1 update to my MSI wind and I'd just like to share my experience and also to find some help about the issues I'm encountering right now.

Below is my system:

MSI Wind U100 plus
Atom N280
2GB RAM
Atheros AR5B91 Wireless

Chameleon 2.0 RC 1 with PC EFI v10.1
No any DSDT patching applied yet

Kexts in my /Volumes/EFI/Extra:
-AppleIntelGMA950.kext
-AppleIntelIntegratedFrambuffer.kext
-AppleACPIBatteryManager.kext
-AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext
-AppleACPIThermal.kext
-ApplePS2Controller.kext
-AppleRTC.kext
-ClamshellDisplay.kext
-Disabler.kext
-fakesmc.kext
-IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext
-OpenHaltRestart.kext
-RealtekR1000.kext
-SleepEnabler.kext
-SMBIOSResolver.kext
-UUID.kext
-VoodooHDA.kext

Everything is perfect upon my tests. The system is also stable. The issues below are only I'm facing so far:

1. Kernel Panic with -f in Bootloader (always)
2. Kernel Panic with VoodooHDA 0.2.2 with/without prefane during restart or reboot (every 3-5th time consecutive reboot/restart)
3. Internal mic (not working yet) - Experienced only static noise with VoodooHDA. I saw a thread in MSI Wind forum before, but the site is currently unavailable. I appreciate if anyone could give their prefane settings.
4. Wrong screen resolution detected after restart/reboot (frequent)
5. Sleep when lid close (not working)

I'll post later the KP pics results for reference.

Charliefoxtrot

Charliefoxtrot

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
First of all, thanks to 18seven, Dalton, Munky, and all that made this possible! The install method worked great. Perhaps it was just me, but after the initial install from the USB to the hard drive, I received a message saying the "Install Failed". I rebooted and proceeded with the install with no problems. Just throwing that out there if someone has the same issue in the future. Just ignore it and move on.

Everything I need is working fine, except for hibernate/sleep. Is there any way to get that working? I tried searching google's cached pages from the MSI forums, but can't seem to hit the right pages. Normally, I can find anything I need by reading that forum, but since it's down, I feel a bit lost. :(

Dalton63841

Dalton63841

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

First of all, thanks to 18seven, Dalton, Munky, and all that made this possible! The install method worked great. Perhaps it was just me, but after the initial install from the USB to the hard drive, I received a message saying the "Install Failed". I rebooted and proceeded with the install with no problems. Just throwing that out there if someone has the same issue in the future. Just ignore it and move on.

Everything I need is working fine, except for hibernate/sleep. Is there any way to get that working? I tried searching google's cached pages from the MSI forums, but can't seem to hit the right pages. Normally, I can find anything I need by reading that forum, but since it's down, I feel a bit lost. :wacko:

What model of Wind are you running? Sleep/Hibernate should be working. Open terminal and type:

pmset -a hibernatemode 0
rm /private/var/vm/sleepimage

Change the 0 to a 1 for hibernate only, or a 3 for sleep AND hibernate.

Also, open the system preferences, click on the security prefpane, and uncheck "Use Secure Virtual Memory"

BTW, it is normal for it to say "Install Failed". That is because there is no bootloader on the hard drive yet.

fredlave

fredlave

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I installed Snow Leopard on my Wind U100 according to Dalton's Vanilla install guide. I did add the following kexts from http://prasys.co.cc/...s-for-netbooks/
AppleIntelGMA950.kext
AppleIntelGMA950GA.plugin
AppleIntelGMA950GLDriver.bundle
AppleIntelGMA950VADriver.bundle
AppleIntegratedFramebuffer.kext
com.apple.Boot.plist
fakesmc.kext
NullCPUPowerManagement.kext
RealtekR1000.kext
SMBios.plist
VoodooBattery.kext
VoodooHDA.kext
Everything seems to be working except when I put the Wind to sleep I get a kp and have to restart. Which .kext can I add to make sleep work normally? Is it possible to get the Wind to sleep when it is closed? Any ideas?

Dalton63841

Dalton63841

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

I installed Snow Leopard on my Wind U100 according to Dalton's Vanilla install guide. I did add the following kexts from http://prasys.co.cc/...s-for-netbooks/
AppleIntelGMA950.kext
AppleIntelGMA950GA.plugin
AppleIntelGMA950GLDriver.bundle
AppleIntelGMA950VADriver.bundle
AppleIntegratedFramebuffer.kext
com.apple.Boot.plist
fakesmc.kext
NullCPUPowerManagement.kext
RealtekR1000.kext
SMBios.plist
VoodooBattery.kext
VoodooHDA.kext
Everything seems to be working except when I put the Wind to sleep I get a kp and have to restart. Which .kext can I add to make sleep work normally? Is it possible to get the Wind to sleep when it is closed? Any ideas?

Umm, you don't need to add all those kexts. The kexts that are in the EFIkexts take care of everything for you. Chances are that is causing an issue to make it KP.

To reiterate, If you follow the tutorial you will have all the kexts loaded to make everything work. Even the internal mic will work if you download the VoodooHDA preference pane.

Charliefoxtrot

Charliefoxtrot

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

What model of Wind are you running? Sleep/Hibernate should be working. Open terminal and type:

pmset -a hibernatemode 0
rm /private/var/vm/sleepimage

Change the 0 to a 1 for hibernate only, or a 3 for sleep AND hibernate.

Also, open the system preferences, click on the security prefpane, and uncheck "Use Secure Virtual Memory"

BTW, it is normal for it to say "Install Failed". That is because there is no bootloader on the hard drive yet.

I'm using the standard U100 with 2GB ram, and your custom apple bios. Very nice look, thanks to you (and Darkhorse) for that too!

I'll try your suggestions tonight, and that will probably fix the problem.

Are you still accepting donations for Snowywindosx? I don't see the link and was going to make a donation today. I doubt I'll ever use it since I have the retail working nicely, but I've taken so much from you guys and would like to give a little back. You can at least use some of it to buy a six-pack of Dr. Pepper and get the creative juices flowing!

Dalton63841

Dalton63841

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

I'm using the standard U100 with 2GB ram, and your custom apple bios. Very nice look, thanks to you (and Darkhorse) for that too!

I'll try your suggestions tonight, and that will probably fix the problem.

Are you still accepting donations for Snowywindosx? I don't see the link and was going to make a donation today. I doubt I'll ever use it since I have the retail working nicely, but I've taken so much from you guys and would like to give a little back. You can at least use some of it to buy a six-pack of Dr. Pepper and get the creative juices flowing!

I like the way you think! How did you know that the only thing I drink is Dr. Pepper? Not kidding! I haven't had a glass of water in years. Anyway here is the link:

https://www.paypal.c.....gif:NonHosted

Charliefoxtrot

Charliefoxtrot

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

I like the way you think! How did you know that the only thing I drink is Dr. Pepper? Not kidding! I haven't had a glass of water in years. Anyway here is the link:

https://www.paypal.c.....gif:NonHosted

On the MSI forums "Glowing Apple Mod" you mentioned you had enough money, after paying rent, to by a 20 oz Dr. Pepper and that was it. Anyway, I've made a donation, and maybe the caffeine will help you crank out snowywind! Thanks again for all the help you, and everyone else, has provided. You guys rock!

Gazoo

Gazoo

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
This may be slightly offtopic, but with the other "Vanilla" package, there was the VoodooPS2controller kext (which is how I was able to get my doubletap touchpad working).

Has anybody noticed that the keybinding for the 'tilde' is incorrect. It gives the § and ± for normal and SHIFT respectively.

Any idea on how to correct it for a US keyboard?

McWanabe

McWanabe

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thanks Dalton, for posting these instructions and the necessary files. When msiwind.net went down I thought I was going to be stuck with msiwindosx86. Now I have an MSI Wind U100 booting 100% Snow Leopard- very cool!

Comments on the Snow Leopard install:

1. It is normal for the installer to report "Install Failed" after Snow Leopard is done installing, because there is no bootloader on the hard drive. Without a bootloader on the hard drive the MSI wind will not boot on its own. So use the Chameleon bootloader on the USB device (I used an SD card). Hit a key while the bootloader on the USB device is booting the MSI Wind and then you can select the freshly installed Snow Leopard on the MSI Wind rather than running the installer again.

2. My tilde (~) key did not work during the EFI tutorial instructions. So I could not type in the instructions that used the tilde key to specify the users home directory. I just used the "pwd" command at the beginning of the EFI tutorial to determine the absolute path to my home directory, and then used the "cd" command with this absolute path to get back to my home directory when necessary. After the install was complete the tilde key was back to "normal".

3. After you're done with the fresh Snow Leopard install you won't have WiFi unless perhaps if you have the Dell WiFi card. So either drag out a Cat5 cable or download the two files needed for the EFI tutorial before starting the Snow Leopard install. Don't put the two files on the MSI Wind hard drive since you will probably repartition and reformat the hard drive. Put the two files on an SD card and then copy them back over to the Downloads folder. While you're at it download the correct WiFi driver and put it in the same place. Also, the EFI tutorial expects the two files (Chameleon-2.0-RC3-r658-bin.tar.gz and Vanilla.zip) to be extracted, of course. If you can't figure out how to do this you shouldn't be trying to install Snow Leopard on an MSI Wind.

UPDATE:
I've been able to dual boot my Wind U100 with Snow Leopard and Windows XP (WinXP on NTFS).
Here's what I did:

1. Partitioned the drive using Disk Utility: 130GB hfs+ and 30GB FAT. Used GUID.

2. Installed Windows XP to the 30GB FAT partition. When given the choice to format the partition, selected NTFS Quick Format.

3. Continued with the rest of the WinXP installation.

4. Once the WinXP installation was complete (at a place I could shut WinXP down) then I restarted and hit F11 to boot off of my Snow Leopard USB device (actually an SD card).

5. I checked the partitioning setup once I was in the USB installer and the partitioning scheme was still GUID. Everything looked the same as I left it in step 1 above.

6. Continued on with the USB Snow Leopard installation and the EFI tutorial.

7. Once Chameleon was installed to the EFI partition I was able to hit the space bar while Chameleon was loading and select which OS to run. Hooray!

At least it worked for me...

UPDATE:
Installing Service Pack 3 gave me an error with the following message:
There is not enough disk space on C:\WINDOWS\$NtServicePackUninstal$ to install Service Pack 3. Setup requires a minimum of 4 additional megabytes of free space or if you also want to archive files for uninstallation, Setup requires 4 additional megabytes of free space. Free additional space on your hard disk and then try again.

I googled this message and found these websites:
Error "There is not enough disk space" when installing SP3 | Windows Reference
Quarkstar - Technically Working: Service Pack 3 Install Error - Not Enough Disk Space

From Quarkstar above:
Solution: You need to add a key to the registry. Go to: hkey-local-machine\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\setup- Add a new string value named "BootDir" and set the value to C:\

This worked for me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy