Vanilla Install on MSI Wind

238 posts in this topic

Hello guys, I managed lately to install SL with 10.6.1 update to my MSI wind and I'd just like to share my experience and also to find some help about the issues I'm encountering right now.

Below is my system:

MSI Wind U100 plus

Atom N280

2GB RAM

Atheros AR5B91 Wireless

Chameleon 2.0 RC 1 with PC EFI v10.1

No any DSDT patching applied yet

Kexts in my /Volumes/EFI/Extra:

-AppleIntelGMA950.kext

-AppleIntelIntegratedFrambuffer.kext

-AppleACPIBatteryManager.kext

-AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext

-AppleACPIThermal.kext

-ApplePS2Controller.kext

-AppleRTC.kext

-ClamshellDisplay.kext

-Disabler.kext

-fakesmc.kext

-IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext

-OpenHaltRestart.kext

-RealtekR1000.kext

-SleepEnabler.kext

-SMBIOSResolver.kext

-UUID.kext

-VoodooHDA.kext

Everything is perfect upon my tests. The system is also stable. The issues below are only I'm facing so far:

1. Kernel Panic with -f in Bootloader (always)

2. Kernel Panic with VoodooHDA 0.2.2 with/without prefane during restart or reboot (every 3-5th time consecutive reboot/restart)

3. Internal mic (not working yet) - Experienced only static noise with VoodooHDA. I saw a thread in MSI Wind forum before, but the site is currently unavailable. I appreciate if anyone could give their prefane settings.

4. Wrong screen resolution detected after restart/reboot (frequent)

5. Sleep when lid close (not working)

I'll post later the KP pics results for reference.

First of all, thanks to 18seven, Dalton, Munky, and all that made this possible! The install method worked great. Perhaps it was just me, but after the initial install from the USB to the hard drive, I received a message saying the "Install Failed". I rebooted and proceeded with the install with no problems. Just throwing that out there if someone has the same issue in the future. Just ignore it and move on.

Everything I need is working fine, except for hibernate/sleep. Is there any way to get that working? I tried searching google's cached pages from the MSI forums, but can't seem to hit the right pages. Normally, I can find anything I need by reading that forum, but since it's down, I feel a bit lost. :(

First of all, thanks to 18seven, Dalton, Munky, and all that made this possible! The install method worked great. Perhaps it was just me, but after the initial install from the USB to the hard drive, I received a message saying the "Install Failed". I rebooted and proceeded with the install with no problems. Just throwing that out there if someone has the same issue in the future. Just ignore it and move on.

Everything I need is working fine, except for hibernate/sleep. Is there any way to get that working? I tried searching google's cached pages from the MSI forums, but can't seem to hit the right pages. Normally, I can find anything I need by reading that forum, but since it's down, I feel a bit lost. :wacko:

What model of Wind are you running? Sleep/Hibernate should be working. Open terminal and type:

pmset -a hibernatemode 0

rm /private/var/vm/sleepimage

Change the 0 to a 1 for hibernate only, or a 3 for sleep AND hibernate.

Also, open the system preferences, click on the security prefpane, and uncheck "Use Secure Virtual Memory"

BTW, it is normal for it to say "Install Failed". That is because there is no bootloader on the hard drive yet.

I installed Snow Leopard on my Wind U100 according to Dalton's Vanilla install guide. I did add the following kexts from http://prasys.co.cc/2009/09/snow-leokexts-for-netbooks/

AppleIntelGMA950.kext

AppleIntelGMA950GA.plugin

AppleIntelGMA950GLDriver.bundle

AppleIntelGMA950VADriver.bundle

AppleIntegratedFramebuffer.kext

com.apple.Boot.plist

fakesmc.kext

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

RealtekR1000.kext

SMBios.plist

VoodooBattery.kext

VoodooHDA.kext

Everything seems to be working except when I put the Wind to sleep I get a kp and have to restart. Which .kext can I add to make sleep work normally? Is it possible to get the Wind to sleep when it is closed? Any ideas?

I installed Snow Leopard on my Wind U100 according to Dalton's Vanilla install guide. I did add the following kexts from http://prasys.co.cc/2009/09/snow-leokexts-for-netbooks/

AppleIntelGMA950.kext

AppleIntelGMA950GA.plugin

AppleIntelGMA950GLDriver.bundle

AppleIntelGMA950VADriver.bundle

AppleIntegratedFramebuffer.kext

com.apple.Boot.plist

fakesmc.kext

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

RealtekR1000.kext

SMBios.plist

VoodooBattery.kext

VoodooHDA.kext

Everything seems to be working except when I put the Wind to sleep I get a kp and have to restart. Which .kext can I add to make sleep work normally? Is it possible to get the Wind to sleep when it is closed? Any ideas?

Umm, you don't need to add all those kexts. The kexts that are in the EFIkexts take care of everything for you. Chances are that is causing an issue to make it KP.

To reiterate, If you follow the tutorial you will have all the kexts loaded to make everything work. Even the internal mic will work if you download the VoodooHDA preference pane.

What model of Wind are you running? Sleep/Hibernate should be working. Open terminal and type:

pmset -a hibernatemode 0

Also, open the system preferences, click on the security prefpane, and uncheck "Use Secure Virtual Memory"

BTW, it is normal for it to say "Install Failed". That is because there is no bootloader on the hard drive yet.

I'm using the standard U100 with 2GB ram, and your custom apple bios. Very nice look, thanks to you (and Darkhorse) for that too!

I'll try your suggestions tonight, and that will probably fix the problem.

Are you still accepting donations for Snowywindosx? I don't see the link and was going to make a donation today. I doubt I'll ever use it since I have the retail working nicely, but I've taken so much from you guys and would like to give a little back. You can at least use some of it to buy a six-pack of Dr. Pepper and get the creative juices flowing!

I'm using the standard U100 with 2GB ram, and your custom apple bios. Very nice look, thanks to you (and Darkhorse) for that too!

I'll try your suggestions tonight, and that will probably fix the problem.

Are you still accepting donations for Snowywindosx? I don't see the link and was going to make a donation today. I doubt I'll ever use it since I have the retail working nicely, but I've taken so much from you guys and would like to give a little back. You can at least use some of it to buy a six-pack of Dr. Pepper and get the creative juices flowing!

I like the way you think! How did you know that the only thing I drink is Dr. Pepper? Not kidding! I haven't had a glass of water in years. Anyway here is the link:

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_...gif%3aNonHosted

I like the way you think! How did you know that the only thing I drink is Dr. Pepper? Not kidding! I haven't had a glass of water in years. Anyway here is the link:

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_...gif%3aNonHosted

On the MSI forums "Glowing Apple Mod" you mentioned you had enough money, after paying rent, to by a 20 oz Dr. Pepper and that was it. Anyway, I've made a donation, and maybe the caffeine will help you crank out snowywind! Thanks again for all the help you, and everyone else, has provided. You guys rock!

This may be slightly offtopic, but with the other "Vanilla" package, there was the VoodooPS2controller kext (which is how I was able to get my doubletap touchpad working).

Has anybody noticed that the keybinding for the 'tilde' is incorrect. It gives the § and ± for normal and SHIFT respectively.

Any idea on how to correct it for a US keyboard?

Thanks Dalton, for posting these instructions and the necessary files. When msiwind.net went down I thought I was going to be stuck with msiwindosx86. Now I have an MSI Wind U100 booting 100% Snow Leopard- very cool!

Comments on the Snow Leopard install:

1. It is normal for the installer to report "Install Failed" after Snow Leopard is done installing, because there is no bootloader on the hard drive. Without a bootloader on the hard drive the MSI wind will not boot on its own. So use the Chameleon bootloader on the USB device (I used an SD card). Hit a key while the bootloader on the USB device is booting the MSI Wind and then you can select the freshly installed Snow Leopard on the MSI Wind rather than running the installer again.

2. My tilde (~) key did not work during the EFI tutorial instructions. So I could not type in the instructions that used the tilde key to specify the users home directory. I just used the "pwd" command at the beginning of the EFI tutorial to determine the absolute path to my home directory, and then used the "cd" command with this absolute path to get back to my home directory when necessary. After the install was complete the tilde key was back to "normal".

3. After you're done with the fresh Snow Leopard install you won't have WiFi unless perhaps if you have the Dell WiFi card. So either drag out a Cat5 cable or download the two files needed for the EFI tutorial before starting the Snow Leopard install. Don't put the two files on the MSI Wind hard drive since you will probably repartition and reformat the hard drive. Put the two files on an SD card and then copy them back over to the Downloads folder. While you're at it download the correct WiFi driver and put it in the same place. Also, the EFI tutorial expects the two files (Chameleon-2.0-RC3-r658-bin.tar.gz and Vanilla.zip) to be extracted, of course. If you can't figure out how to do this you shouldn't be trying to install Snow Leopard on an MSI Wind.

UPDATE:

I've been able to dual boot my Wind U100 with Snow Leopard and Windows XP (WinXP on NTFS).

Here's what I did:

1. Partitioned the drive using Disk Utility: 130GB hfs+ and 30GB FAT. Used GUID.

2. Installed Windows XP to the 30GB FAT partition. When given the choice to format the partition, selected NTFS Quick Format.

3. Continued with the rest of the WinXP installation.

4. Once the WinXP installation was complete (at a place I could shut WinXP down) then I restarted and hit F11 to boot off of my Snow Leopard USB device (actually an SD card).

5. I checked the partitioning setup once I was in the USB installer and the partitioning scheme was still GUID. Everything looked the same as I left it in step 1 above.

6. Continued on with the USB Snow Leopard installation and the EFI tutorial.

7. Once Chameleon was installed to the EFI partition I was able to hit the space bar while Chameleon was loading and select which OS to run. Hooray!

At least it worked for me...

UPDATE:

Installing Service Pack 3 gave me an error with the following message:

There is not enough disk space on C:\WINDOWS\$NtServicePackUninstal$ to install Service Pack 3. Setup requires a minimum of 4 additional megabytes of free space or if you also want to archive files for uninstallation, Setup requires 4 additional megabytes of free space. Free additional space on your hard disk and then try again.

I googled this message and found these websites:

Error "There is not enough disk space" when installing SP3 | Windows Reference

Quarkstar - Technically Working: Service Pack 3 Install Error - Not Enough Disk Space

From Quarkstar above:

Solution: You need to add a key to the registry. Go to: hkey-local-machine\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\setup- Add a new string value named "BootDir" and set the value to C:\

This worked for me.

pmset -a hibernatemode 0

Tried this at lunch with no joy. I had to add sudo -s to get admin privileges then entered the password. I tried using 0, 1, and 3 but no luck on any. I had also unchecked the "Use Secure Virtual Memory". Oddly, I can hit the power button, then choose sleep, and that works with no problems. So that will be my workaround for the moment. But I'll keep chugging along to see if I can correct the problem. I previously had Ideneb installed, and sleep was hit or miss. As long as I can get a consistent sleep method (power button or otherwise), I'm good.

EDIT: After a second try I was able to get this to work. Much thanks!

awesome install went well for me, first time i rebooted i got

boot 0

boot 0

boot 1

failed .. something along those lines

when i was running ./update.sh i noticed a few errors on the scripts output. no such directory /Volumes/EFI... i remounted the EFI partition to Volumes/EFI ran the script less errors... strange though my disk was /disk0s1 just like in the update scripts anyway .. nice work by you and 18seven and im quiet happy.

Question: Now that I have SL 10.6.0 installed, what do I need to do to update to 10.6.1?

I read this on 18seven's 100% Vanilla install instructions on msiwind.net:

Patch your graphics kext. (note: this script must be run for install and all system updates, i.e. 10.6 -> 10.6.1)

Code:cd ~/Downloads/Vanilla/EFIkext

./27ae.sh

Is this it? Now that I've got Snow Leopard and Windows XP playing together I hate to do anything to ruin the magic.

Thanks for the reply. Even though i backed up my /System/Extensions folder I think I'll reinstall SL using your guide. It was very slick and it will be easier than trying to remove unneeded kexts. BTW, hows your installer coming? I think I may wait until it's finished.

Question: Now that I have SL 10.6.0 installed, what do I need to do to update to 10.6.1?

I read this on 18seven's 100% Vanilla install instructions on msiwind.net:

Patch your graphics kext. (note: this script must be run for install and all system updates, i.e. 10.6 -> 10.6.1)

Code:cd ~/Downloads/Vanilla/EFIkext

./27ae.sh

Is this it? Now that I've got Snow Leopard and Windows XP playing together I hate to do anything to ruin the magic.

I'm certainly not an expert on the subject, but I just ran the software update and I didn't have to do anything extra. Still getting the correct resolution with out reinstalling 27ae.sh. I'm just running a single partition with OSX on a U100 version Wind. So YMMV.

Another selfish request, since the MSI forum is down... How do I get the Voodoo PS2 kext to work without breaking the vanilla install?

Another selfish request, since the MSI forum is down... How do I get the Voodoo PS2 kext to work without breaking the vanilla install?

I dunno- I just followed Dalton's install instructions on page 1 of this thread, with a few modifications, and ended up with what I wanted: dual boot SL / WinXP. Sorry, but I'm just a noob.

What is the VooDoo PS2 kext used for? Can you use Google to access the cached msiwind.net pages that have the help you need?

Great!

Everything worked beautifully,

except now I can only boot up with the USB still in place.

Chameleon says:

Can't find mach Kernel

Tried restoring bootloader on a second partition,

also tried installing chameleon again both there and on system-partition..

What to do?

PS

Thanx for all the good stuff, Dalton, Dr Hurt, et al

I made the .cdr, changed to .iso, tried to restore to the untitled partition of my flash drive, and get this message:

"Restore Image Failure: Could not validate sizes- Operation not Permitted"

Got SL to load, but now I have to use the bootloader off of my USB stick. I'm assuming I need to install Chameleon on the first small partition on my HDD, but how do I do that without wiping out the two partitions (SL/XP) I have on there now?

I dunno- I just followed Dalton's install instructions on page 1 of this thread, with a few modifications, and ended up with what I wanted: dual boot SL / WinXP. Sorry, but I'm just a noob.

I'm interested in your solution. Could you please explain what did you do to dual boot SL and XP?

Thanks

Awesome instructions! Didn't even bother to understand what I was doing, just blindly plunged in and everything works GREAT! Almost perfect...

One problem. I lose bluetooth when I resume from sleep mode. The bluetooth icon greys out and a squiggly line is drawn through it. Any ideas for a solution? Thanks!

bit of a newby question here, i've followed Daltons (and 18sevens) instructions & got it all up and working fine. I then updated to 10.6.1 and then patched the graphics kext by doing

cd ~/Downloads/Vanilla/EFIkext

./27ae.sh

then rebooting, but now my trackpad doesnt work? what have i done wrong??????

bit of a newby question here, i've followed Daltons (and 18sevens) instructions & got it all up and working fine. I then updated to 10.6.1 and then patched the graphics kext by doing

cd ~/Downloads/Vanilla/EFIkext

./27ae.sh

then rebooting, but now my trackpad doesnt work? what have i done wrong??????

go ahead and run ./update.sh also.