Vanilla Install on MSI Wind

238 posts in this topic

That is correct, but i think that XP won't directly install to a GUID drive. If you have a way to image your XP partition you could image it back after you install Mac. Then you would need to fix the boot.ini file.

You mean to say that Vanilla installation+EFI makes it almost impossible to dual boot with Win OS? If so, would VMWare or Parallels be fast on our Wind?

Or much better if I just sit back and wait for you to release your Snowy ISO? BTW, I can install Snowy ISO given that I have already installed in one partition XP much like when I installed msiwindosx86?

I really appreciate you being patient with me regarding this topic. -_-

Might as well add a post to this thread...I followed the instructions to a peg and I have two quick questions:

1. Can I install Windows 7 AFTER I've already installed SL? I followed seven18's instructions and have it EFI booting with Chameleon.

2. If I let SL set the date/time automatically, when I reboot I get the "Hold the power button to turn off your mac" error message. I have to go into BIOS and roll the time back 4 hours, and then it works fine. It never used to do this, but I recently installed a Dell Wireless Card (1510) in my Wind and ever since then it's been more and more picky about booting. If I roll the time back four hours it works 100% of the time. It's annoying, since I look up to see what time it is and it says 11:14am, instead of 3:14pm.

1. Yes you can.

2. Dont set it to automatically set date and time. Choose your time zone and google osx/Windows time sync.

You mean to say that Vanilla installation+EFI makes it almost impossible to dual boot with Win OS? If so, would VMWare or Parallels be fast on our Wind?

Or much better if I just sit back and wait for you to release your Snowy ISO? BTW, I can install Snowy ISO given that I have already installed in one partition XP much like when I installed msiwindosx86?

I really appreciate you being patient with me regarding this topic. -_-

You can install Windows 7 and Im pretty sure Vista in dual boot on GPT, just not XP.

The only virtualization that works halfway decent is Virtualbox.

Yes SnowyOSX will be able to install to MBR, so dual boot will work fine.

Just completed the guide and posting from my new Snow Leopard install now!

One problem - the screen is stuck in 800x600 - black band down the right hand side - there is no option for the correct 1024x600 resolution in the pref pane. I seem to remember there was a solution for this on the wind forums, but as they're not working at the minute I wondered if anyone could help me with a fix.

Thanks to everyone involved with getting OS X on to the Wind.

Just completed the guide and posting from my new Snow Leopard install now!

One problem - the screen is stuck in 800x600 - black band down the right hand side - there is no option for the correct 1024x600 resolution in the pref pane. I seem to remember there was a solution for this on the wind forums, but as they're not working at the minute I wondered if anyone could help me with a fix.

Thanks to everyone involved with getting OS X on to the Wind.

Install SwitchResX, set the resolution, reboot, and then feel free to uninstall it.

No you are not. It will work fine. You may need to correct the permissions if it exits (quits on its own) before loading.

Sorry if it is a lame question, but what file(s) do I need to change permissions on? The application does not exit, but under "Link Status" the link bounces up and down. It will sit at 99% signal strength and 26% Noise level for about 10 seconds, and then it will go to zero for about 2 seconds and then back to 99%.

The browser will not load any pages, just error out....

1. Yes you can.

2. Dont set it to automatically set date and time. Choose your time zone and google osx/Windows time sync.

1. How?

2. Is this relevant to me? At the moment I ONLY have SL on the computer. I boot the computer, the OS automatically sets the time, and then when I reboot it gives me the error.

Edit: Actually, it gives me the error after I shut down the machine and turn it back on.

Im not sure on the how. Win7 should readily install, but then each bootloader will need fixed.

If you are only booting Snow then you don't worry about the time sync, but definitely choose your time zone instead of having the computer automatically set it. Thats really only usefull if you are traveling across several time zones.

I'm having some issues at step7 when I run

fdisk -e /dev/disk0

it gives me this

fdisk: could not open MBR file /usr/standalone/i386/boot0: No such file or directory

Also of note that all the shell scripts that I am suppose to run after get errors when they try to move directories saying they do not exist so I don't have any of the proper kext. Though it still boots fine I'm actually using it to post this message.

I'm having some issues at step7 when I run
fdisk -e /dev/disk0

it gives me this

fdisk: could not open MBR file /usr/standalone/i386/boot0: No such file or directory

Also of note that all the shell scripts that I am suppose to run after get errors when they try to move directories saying they do not exist so I don't have any of the proper kext. Though it still boots fine I'm actually using it to post this message.

Actually both of those things are normal. Fdisk throws that error because it is designed for MBR but is being used on GUID. The script errors are because the first thing the scripts do is rename old versions. Since this is the first time it was run, there were no old versions of the files.

Oh well then I have no idea why my audio or graphics aren't working properly. Just in case it matters I have a U120.

EDIT: Technically I mean that only my wireless works because I used a older package to install the Realtek client. Everything else doesn't if anyone has clues as to what do I would be very happy :)

Oh well then I have no idea why my audio or graphics aren't working properly. Just in case it matters I have a U120.

EDIT: Technically I mean that only my wireless works because I used a older package to install the Realtek client. Everything else doesn't if anyone has clues as to what do I would be very happy :)

Can you post your output from Terminal from Step 8 down?

No you are not. It will work fine. You may need to correct the permissions if it exits (quits on its own) before loading.

cough

Also, proper credit should go out to munky for pioneering the efi method.

Hmmm... I guess I should have phrased it a bit differently then! :)

What I meant is that on this board, the installation tutorial shown by Dalton is the best at installing OSX on the Wind Netbook.

I didn't mean to say that the METHOD was HIS, just this version of it was the best for the Wind in particular. (IMO).

Mad props to those who developed and further refined EFI booting for the rest of us weasels to use and adapt for our own.

/end disclaimer

I really appreciate you being patient with me regarding this topic. ;)

You can dual boot Leopard and XP on a GUID set up. I have done it, it's a little fiddly but doable. Never tried it with Snow Leopard as I upgraded to Win 7 via Technet before 10.6 came out.

If you want to try with Snow Leopard, make sure you only use Disk Utility to partition your drive. It creates a GUID/MBR synched partition map, so that XP can read it. If you try any of the Linux partition tools, I don't think it works.

I found for Leopard that the only setup that worked was:

1st partition: EFI

2nd partition: Leopard

3rd partition: XP

which is the opposite of what you might expect. I could not get it to work with XP before Leopard, although that is usually what is recommended. I used Chameleon 2 RC2 as the bootloader. You won't be able to resize the partitions once done, so work out what you think you might need first before installing.

I found a couple of articles that explain this partition scheme in more detail, but it is a matter of trying it out for yourself. It took ages for me until I worked out the Leopard needed to come higher up in the partition hierarchy, as XP installed easily, but Leopard refused to install on the remaining partition.

http://www.mlvision.com.au/mediawiki/index..._and_Windows_XP

http://wiki.onmac.net/index.php/Triple_Boot_via_BootCamp

I think it's doable. In my set up:

1 XP partition

2 Mac OSX partition

3 Mac OSX Slipstream DVD

I didn't used Chameleon because from what I've read, it messes something with the set up of msiwindosx86. I just learned how to accept the ugliness of Darwin Bootloader. :)

BTW, I loaded the iso to the third partition using Leopard HD Installer Helper. Which I learned in the msiwind forums.

I think it's doable. In my set up:

1 XP partition

2 Mac OSX partition

3 Mac OSX Slipstream DVD

I didn't used Chameleon because from what I've read, it messes something with the set up of msiwindosx86. I just learned how to accept the ugliness of Darwin Bootloader. :(

BTW, I loaded the iso to the third partition using Leopard HD Installer Helper. Which I learned in the msiwind forums.

I used msiwindosx86 the first month I owned my Wind and I used Chameleon 2. Show hidden files, go to the root of the partition, and delete the boot file. Then install Chameleon 2.

Hey there. I was glad to see this pop up here, as the msiwind.net site being down made things difficult.

First, a small preface: I made a HacBook Nano back in the day, using the windosx86 distro. Then, when boot-132 method came out, I re-did it with that. I wound up selling it to a friend, a girl no less, and figured this would come back to haunt me. Well, it did... and I agreed to fix it for her. I finally just got everything reinstalled using a google cached version of the original post from msiwind.net site, using this method. I decided to NOT go with snow, as this just leaves it open to more of the original error, which was caused by said-girl updating the OS against my recommendations. I figure, if shes at 10.5.8, there's less chance she will F it up. Anyway, I patched the dsdt, and everything works great, except for the sound, which is why I'm writing this post.

I found the voodoohda helper and pref pane in the Vanilla folder, but haven't been able to get anywhere with it. When I run the voodoohda helper, it opens up the terminal and says "error: IORegistryEntryGetPath returned 0x10000003"

I tried installing the pref pane, and it gives me a bunch of errors, and crashes prefs if I open it up. I read through a bunch of cached pages from the msiwind site, but I'm not finding the info I'm looking for.

Can anyone help me install the voodoo sound? Thanks!

Remember, I'm on 10.5.8

EDIT: Never mind. Turned out to be more trouble than it was worth. I just threw azalia in there and installed audieee4wind and it works great. I'm moving it on, glad to be done with it. Did make me kinda miss the little guy tho. ;)

Anyway, thanks 18seven for the original guide on msiwind.net.

Hi Dalton

I am super impressed buy your work and have of course donated.

I have been able to follow your USB boot tut and then the EFI tut without issues, so i have a working Snow installation. The only thing that is a issue is that neither the built in mic or if i connect a mic is working. is this a known thing or is it only my wind that has this problem. Btw the audio is working perfect, both internal speaker or connected headphones. Any help is appreciated

Regards

anders

Hi Dalton

I am super impressed buy your work and have of course donated.

I have been able to follow your USB boot tut and then the EFI tut without issues, so i have a working Snow installation. The only thing that is a issue is that neither the built in mic or if i connect a mic is working. is this a known thing or is it only my wind that has this problem. Btw the audio is working perfect, both internal speaker or connected headphones. Any help is appreciated

Regards

anders

Actually the VoodooHDA kext I installed is altered so that the internal mic AND external mic DO work. However you need to google VoodooHDA prefpane. Once you install the prefpane just keep adjusting the settings until it is right.