Dell Optiplex GX520

TheSnuke

136 posts in this topic

Dellmantt ... I got my PCI slots working & was able to get my Belkin NIC card running again..

I went inside of the bios and enabled the serial port & LPT port and booted up SL.

No surprise, i did say in post 77

Quote "As far as I know the small form factor only has one PCI slot

Included in everything you have tried, have you checked in bios that it is turned on?

Hi pdave54

Thank-you so much for your instructions, I now have my GX520 booting SL!!! After several days of trying (your method worked first pop)

The only issues I have is no network and no full video support, from what I can work out I need a patched DSDT file (or something like that) to get full native support. Is that what you found? Or did you use a different method? If you did patch the DSDT could you please post a copy of it?

I also notice that the CPU is reported incorrectly

Thanks again

Instructions? Where?? And instructions which get everything working would be KEY.

Thanks!

Instructions? Where?? And instructions which get everything working would be KEY.

Thanks!

From your first post in the forum I see you have installed Leopard on your GX 520, thats right isn't it.

Post 57 in this topic tells you how to install Snow and has all the kexts you need.

Post 57 also tells you how to do the update to 10.6.3 and for 10.6.4 the link for that kernel is in post 71.

• 2 weeks later...

new myHack v1.14 released

nawcom has modified Conti’s myHack to be more up to date and to be more recent. Its recommended for all myHack users to update to this latest version. I’ll be brief on this , basically its just click and run and the new myHack v1.1.3 installer will take care everything for you.

Changes from the original myHack :-

Latest Chameleon RC5 (includes a lot of fixes , such as automatic memory detection , cleaner code , and a lot of other changes , automatic resolution detection on boot {especially for Intel GMA users} )

It uses Default Chameleon Theme (enables users to opt or install Themes later on)

OrangeIcon Drive Fix (Makes your Hard Disks to appear as Internal Hard Disks)

SleepEnabler.kext for OSX 10.6.4

http://prasys.info/2010/07/new-myhack-v1-13-released/

This DSDT was given to me and is from a GX520 and I think worked for 10.6.0-10.6.2

DSDT.aml.zip

Here is the relevant instructions to do your own

How_to_patch_DSDT_for_GMA950.rtf

For GMA950 video with 10.6.4 use stock gma950 kexts & replace framebuffer kext with this one

AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext.zip

No EFI strings or DSDT needed

wow, all thanks (DSDT.aml.zip)

Dell GX 520 perfect

• 2 weeks later...

DellManTT,

YOU ARE A GOD!

Ive got a gx620. Been fighting for the past 24 hours on the graphics issue. And your framebuffer solved it. THANK YO!!!

Can i dare to pick your brain?

Im running dualcore Pentium D here, but osx only shows up as one core. Is it using both? is there a patch for this?

Now i gotta automate the Terminal to assign a mac address and ill be perfect

Thanks again sir

DellManTT,

YOU ARE A GOD!

Ive got a gx620. Been fighting for the past 24 hours on the graphics issue. And your framebuffer solved it. THANK YO!!!

Can i dare to pick your brain?

Im running dualcore Pentium D here, but osx only shows up as one core. Is it using both? is there a patch for this?

Now i gotta automate the Terminal to assign a mac address and ill be perfect

Thanks again sir

Don't go by "About this Mac" - Open System Profiler and if you see 2 cores its working, if not sorry I don't know of any patches.

EDIT sorry must have been tired check "Activity Monitor" for 2 cores

Most people don't need to assign a mac address, it just works. One person had problems, forget what his router was, the router was the problem. Anyway if you need to assign a mac address, google satmac script.

I grabbed a gx620 for 1 hundo (hundred) when I run the hackintosh on it, about mac lists both cores but it recognizes the cpu (Pentium D 2.8ghz) as a core 2 duo.

When I run the gx520 (Celeron D 2.66ghz) Its reported as a intel core solo... (which is about right) lol

when I run it on my Dell Inspiron 1501 (Turion64 2.0ghz) its reported as UNKNOWN under iatkos s3 (10.6.3 ) & as Core Solo under leo4all (10.5.4)

Check your bios make sure you got multiple core enabled...

whats your firmware version?

whats your hackintosh version?

• 1 month later...
Well im up and running on my GX520 Pentium D. I have everything working well. good audio, accelerated video, etc...

As im posting this, OS 10.6.5 is out. Is it safe to update to that?

Thanks!

I have updated to 10.6.5 BUT i don't suggest that you do it UNLESS you have a backup

I had a few problems with "Install Failed" but after I ran "Kext Utility", repaired permissions and ran "fsck -y" at startup I suddenly had 10.6.5.

Of course you have to run on 10.6.4 Legacy Kernel as the 520-620's won't run on the 10.5 Vanilla Kernel. Hopefully a 10.6.5 Legacy Kernel will be out soon.

I have updated to 10.6.5 BUT i don't suggest that you do it UNLESS you have a backup

I had a few problems with "Install Failed" but after I ran "Kext Utility", repaired permissions and ran "fsck -y" at startup I suddenly had 10.6.5.

Of course you have to run on 10.6.4 Legacy Kernel as the 520-620's won't run on the 10.5 Vanilla Kernel. Hopefully a 10.6.5 Legacy Kernel will be out soon.

I'll wait then. Thanks for the help!

• 1 month later...

[help]I installed using iAtkos s3 v2

the install is successful, but when i boot into snow leopard partition, it doesn't go past the apple gray screen.

i waited for 20 min for it to do sth, then hopelessly rebooted into windows

may be i should wait longer for 1st boot?

the install logs=

1. OSINSTALL_MPKG_LOG_.txt http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...st&id=83012

2. MYHACK_MPKG_LOG.txt http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...st&id=83013

do you think it is due to my gfx card intel integrated gma945

EDIT I was wrong- the installer is only installing the DSDT EDITOR application-But I repeat that Distros do install a very corrupted system----

In a way it caused by the the graphics. Is caused by the DSDT being wrong for the graphic chip which incidentally is a GMA950 chipset..

Your install log

'Choices selected for installation:

Install: "Mac OS X"

Install: "iATKOS S3 Main System"

10.6.3.Intel.pkg : com.uphuck.pkg.10.6.3.Intel : 10.6.3

dsdtonroot.pkg : com.uphuck.pkg.dsdtonroot : 1.0

OSUpgrade.pkg : com.apple.pkg.OSUpgrade : 10.6.0.1

OSInstall.pkg : com.apple.pkg.OSInstall : 10.6.0.1

scripts_a.pkg : com.uphuck.pkg.scripts_a : 1.0

scripts_b.pkg : com.uphuck.pkg.scripts_b : 1.0

Heavens knows what the two bottom scripts do. As for the dsdt, how can installer compile it on the fly for a particular motherboard??

From this post

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1561852

"For those who wish to compile their own dsdt, and I would recommend making your own instead of using someone else's, go here http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=223205. This is very easy to use and the patches you need (DTGP & GMA950 Desktop) are included. There is a link to a video tutorial a well. If you have trouble with a compile error (length) or get a blank grey screen, read posts on pages 18-19-20. For grey screen or KP problems- Google "Remove dsdt.aml single user""

If you MUST use this "Distro" don't install the dsdt or any driver options. Add them manually later.

Why am I against Distros' ."ATKOS in particular? This post from someone with lots of experience may help you understand http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1605309 Quote"A. This distro Install DVD, while successful (booting from a PATA or SATA DVDRW), produces a messy Snow Leopard installation because all the patched and/or non-Apple kexts are put in /System/Library/Extensions/ rather than in /Extra/Extensions/.......so that /S/L/E is no longer an untouched pure Apple kext, i.e. vanilla kext, folder.......

B. The Extensions.mkext file used during bootup from the DVD and from the Snow Leopard installation on the GPT/Mac OS Extended (Journaled) HDD volume is a problem.......primarily because it loads the SuperNForceATA.kext from Extensions.mkext.......this produced a looping error on bootup:"

I will add that the ATKOS install completely stuffs up the original com.apple.Boot.plist, instead of generating a separate one in an "Extra" folder.

Then why "myHack" method? It is well documented, tells you what each kext is for. Leaves the original extension folder & com.apple.Boot.plist untouched.

BTW no need to PM me that you have posted, I track topics I am interested in. And it was 2:30 am my time anyway. Your profile shows you are 6 hours behind my local time.

thanks for detailed info  :D

In a way it caused by the the graphics. Is caused by the DSDT being wrong for the graphic chip which incidentally is a GMA950 chipset..

Yes, i researched a bit and found that snow leopard has problems with the gma945 integrated cards. It worked out of the box in iATKOS Leopard 10.5.1 with full resolution.

If you have trouble with a compile error (length) or get a blank grey screen, read posts on pages 18-19-20. For grey screen or KP problems- Google "Remove dsdt.aml single user""
I get a blank dark screen!

If you MUST use this "Distro"
I will try to get retail but before i must try using this one.

don't install the dsdt or any driver options. Add them manually later.
Can i edit the hfs partition  in windows using macdrive later?

edit: i have done new installation with myhack, iatkos, dsdt patcher, and all kexts but still black screen after -v switch HOW MUCH LONGER SHOULD I WAIT FOR BOOT?

Yes, i researched a bit and found that snow leopard has problems with the gma945 integrated cards. It worked out of the box in iATKOS Leopard 10.5.1 with full resolution.

The GMA950 Device ID 0x2772 is fine in SL with EITHER a PROPERLY compiled dsdt OR the patched frame buffer (not both)

Can i edit the hfs partition  in windows using macdrive later?

Yes.

edit: i have done new installation with myhack, iatkos, dsdt patcher, and all kexts but still black screen after -v switch HOW MUCH LONGER SHOULD I WAIT FOR BOOT?

I don't understand..You must have been in OS X to run myhack and dsdt patcher. What Operating systems do you have on your hard drive(s)? And what bootloader?

Re DSDT patcher. If you can't compile without errors, don't install the dsdt.

OK mohdumar If you must try and use iatkos.. this is what you need to do.

This was tested on a GX520 with iATKOS S3 v2 (with thanks to pdave54, as he did most of the work)

Boot iaktos, install to a clean partition/hard drive.

Install with these customisation ONLY

Bootloader-- Chameleon V2 RC4

-Extra Directory

-fakesmc

-RTC(32Bit)

Kernel-Quopz 10.3.0

-EVO Reboot

Uncheck EVERYTHING else.

Install and reboot-run the set up-keyboard, name, etc etc.--YOU should be in Snow leopard, but have no sound, no internet & have video hardware acceleration, but no resolutions .

Now you said you had macdrive to transfer files to the OS X partition.

You need to download Show_Hide_Files.zip

com.apple.Boot.plist.zip

And the ac97 & BCM5751 kexts & kext utility from http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=233396

And I would suggest the latest myhack 1.4.1 from here http://blog.nawcom.com/?p=242

Delete "extra" folder (is invisible)(use show files)

Delete "com.apple.Boot.plist" from Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration.Replace with the com.apple.Boot.plist that you downloaded.

Run myhack with the options from the guide ( again http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=233396)

Install the audio & ethernet kexts with kexts utility (unzip first)

You should be now at a nearly vanilla install- with some kexts in the extra folder and using the chocolate (legacy) kernel

When you get to this point you can either install the frame buffer kext from the guide OR OR try the dsdt from post #4 of the guide NOT the DSDT editor on the iaktos disk

Thats it.

OK mohdumar If you must try and use iatkos.. this is what you need to do.

This was tested on a GX520 with iATKOS S3 v2 (with thanks to pdave54, as he did most of the work)

THANKS FOR THIS METHOD - I'm off to try it. will post back with results!  ;)

P.S. who tried using the iatkos s3 v2? was it u or pdave54? however i am unable to find any of pdave's posts!

Summary of The Attempt:

Boot iaktos, install to a clean partition/hard drive.

Install with these customisation ONLY

Bootloader-- Chameleon V2 RC4

-Extra Directory

-fakesmc

-RTC(32Bit)

Kernel-Quopz 10.3.0

-EVO Reboot

Uncheck EVERYTHING else.

Chose exactly these:

post-696481-1293021825_thumb.png

Install was successful : Installer_Log_22_Dec_2010.txt

Rebooted... The Windows Boot Menu appeared. Chose Mac OS X (which I added with EasyBCD when installed iATKOS v1.0i). Chameleon appeared. Chose 'Macintosh HD'. Booted into it. The grey screen with apple logo appeared. No round progress indicator. Waited for 15 mins. Still no round indicator. Didn't  go forward, or HANGED. No kernel panics, no messages. What to do? Same thing as before. I cant even boot into Snow Leopard, even with low res. and no sound and internet. 

SAME QUESTION AS BEFORE: How much time does first boot take?

=====================================================

Searched and found an unsolved problem similar to mine

I have installed iPC (with PPF1 and PPF2 applied) to a case-insensitive journalled HFS+ partition. I was able to get to the boot loader’s menu without problems, entered -f -v "Graphics Mode"="1680x1050x32@60" and pressed Enter. Booting proceeded seemingly normally, with messages regarding reading something from the partition. Then, for a short moment, the signal from the graphics card disappeared (I believe this was caused by a video mode change), and then the entire screen was filled with black colour and the system stopped. From there, it did not react to anything I did, and the hard disk and CPU activity indicators on the physical computer case did not flicker a single time. So I rebooted and tried passing no arguments to the kernel. The grey screen with the Apple logo showed up and stayed. I do not know precisely if it hanged immediately when this screen was displayed, but the boot proceeded just like the first time, meaning not proceeded at all.

THANKS FOR THIS METHOD - I'm off to try it. will post back with results!  :gun:

P.S. who tried using the iatkos s3 v2? was it u or pdave54? however i am unable to find any of pdave's posts!

Both installed atkos s3 v2 successfully with the customisation suggested. Both to external USB/IDE hard drives (that should not matter)

One SFF GX520 & a Desktop GX520, both with onboard graphic (GMA950) only. One MBR partitioning, one GUID partitioning. Both of us had boot up on the new install in a few minutes (Definitely less than5)Installer_Log_22_Dec_2010.rtf

You won't find pdave54's posts. For reasons, you have to ask him.

Summary of The Attempt:

Chose exactly these:

post-696481-1293021825_thumb.png

Install was successful : Installer_Log_22_Dec_2010.txt

Rebooted... The Windows Boot Menu appeared. Chose Mac OS X (which I added with EasyBCD when installed iATKOS v1.0i). Chameleon appeared. Chose 'Macintosh HD'. Booted into it. The grey screen with apple logo appeared. No round progress indicator. Waited for 15 mins. Still no round indicator. Didn't  go forward, or HANGED. No kernel panics, no messages. What to do? Same thing as before. I cant even boot into Snow Leopard, even with low res. and no sound and internet. 

Why you can't install? I don't know. Maybe somebody else.

When you get to the Chameleon prompt have you tried booting with either Verbose -v or safe mode -x or both -v -x.

Not sure if easyBCD has any bearing as you are getting to the chameleon screen. I just use Chameleon, it boots OS X, windows and linux fine.

When you get to the Chameleon prompt have you tried booting with either Verbose -v or safe mode -x or both -v -x.

Tried every flag but in vain.... do you know where the boot logs are stored on the snow leopard volume?

And, when you boot into snow, after how much time does the round indicator show up below the apple logo on gray screen. Mine doesnt show at all!

EDIT: compared the logs and found this difference-

My Log

Dec 22 04:18:06 localhost OSInstaller[147]: PackageKit: Executing script "./postflight" in /Volumes/Macintosh HD/Mac OS X Install Data/chameleon4.pkg/Contents/Resources

Dec 22 04:18:07 localhost OSInstaller[147]: ./postflight: fdisk: /dev/rdisk00: No such file or directory

Your Log

Dec 22 13:24:06 localhost OSInstaller[144]: PackageKit: Executing script "./postflight" in /Volumes/iatkos/Mac OS X Install Data/chameleon4.pkg/Contents/Resources

Dec 22 13:24:07 localhost OSInstaller[144]: ./postflight:

Dec 22 13:24:07 localhost OSInstaller[144]: ./postflight: MBR(Master Boot Record) found on your target disk.

Dec 22 13:24:07 localhost OSInstaller[144]: ./postflight:

Dec 22 13:24:07 localhost OSInstaller[144]: ./postflight: Installing Chameleon2 RC4 bootloader on MBR..

Dec 22 13:24:14 localhost OSInstaller[144]: ./postflight: Volume iatkos on disk1s1 force-unmounted

Dec 22 13:24:19 localhost OSInstaller[144]: ./postflight: 2+0 records in

Dec 22 13:24:19 localhost OSInstaller[144]: ./postflight: 2+0 records out

Dec 22 13:24:19 localhost OSInstaller[144]: ./postflight: 1024 bytes transferred in 0.025389 secs (40332 bytes/sec)

Dec 22 13:24:24 localhost OSInstaller[144]: ./postflight: Volume iatkos on /dev/disk1s1 mounted

Dec 22 13:24:30 localhost OSInstaller[144]: ./postflight: Enter 'help' for information

Dec 22 13:24:30 localhost OSInstaller[144]: ./postflight: fdisk: 1> Partition 1 marked active.

Dec 22 13:24:30 localhost OSInstaller[144]: ./postflight: fdisk:*1> Device could not be accessed exclusively.

Dec 22 13:24:30 localhost OSInstaller[144]: ./postflight: A reboot will be needed for changes to take effect. OK? [n] Writing MBR at offset 0.

Dec 22 13:24:30 localhost OSInstaller[144]: ./postflight: fdisk: 1>

Edited by mohdumar

Tried every flag but in vain.... do you know where the boot logs are stored on the snow leopard volume?
root/private/var/log
And, when you boot into snow, after how much time does the round indicator show up below the apple logo on gray screen. Mine doesnt show at all!
The round indicator shows up in about 5-10 seconds. What is interesting is that you can not get to a verbose log in.

I know you wanted to get iatkos working (I have made my thinking clear on Distros), but for the time you have spent trying to get it to work, you could have purchased or if you must, downloaded the retail disc and have had it installed with the tried and proven method from the guide.

Not sure what the difference in install logs means. Looks like the installer cant find the Master Boot Record Partition.

Maybe you need to format your hard drive and start again? I use GUID partitioning scheme for dual boot. Installed XP first, then OS X and Chameleon. Works fine.