Dell Optiplex GX520

TheSnuke

136 posts in this topic

i just installed the "Snow_Leopard_10.6.1-10.6.2_Intel_AMD_made_by_Hazard"

i got it boot and everything is kinda working...

the thing i wondering is this:

Intel GMA 950:

Chipset Model: GMA 950

Type: GPU

Bus: Built-In

VRAM (Total): 64 MB of Shared System Memory

Vendor: Intel (0x8086)

Device ID: 0x2772

Revision ID: 0x0002

Displays:

Display Connector:

W9006S-N:

Resolution: 1440 x 900 @ 60 Hz

Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

where the hell is "QUARTZ EXTREME"???

is it activated or do i need a some special intel gma950 kext?

please help me out!?!

I used the method of pdave54 to install snow leopard on my gx520, and it's working great.

unfortunately, pdave54 had a quarrel with the administrator of this site, and had all his posts deleted from this thread. however, he sent me a copy of all the gx520 audio/video kexts along with instructions of installation to make the sound/video cards working.

if your sound and vedio cards are not working properly after installing snow leopard, you are welcome to try these kexts.

good luck

all credit goes to lo-fi and pdave.

Gx520_kexts_etc.zip

I used the method of pdave54 to install snow leopard on my gx520, and it's working great.

unfortunately, pdave54 had a quarrel with the administrator of this site, and had all his posts deleted from this thread. however, he sent me a copy of all the gx520 audio/video kexts along with instructions of installation to make the sound/video cards working.

if your sound and vedio cards are not working properly after installing snow leopard, you are welcome to try these kexts.

good luck

all credit goes to lo-fi and pdave.

thanks dude! imma try em out!

have a good week wherever you are!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Can you please list all items you selected (in 'Customize' screen) while installing hazard's SL on Dell Optiplex GX 520?

I am getting kernel panic..!

this are the kexts i selected in the hazard install.

ioatafamily

appleintelpiixata

nullcpupowermanagemenet

platformuuid

applertc

fakesmc

ellitforcelegacertc

smbiosresolver

uuid

then i installed the video, audio, lan kexts after the install.

i updated to 10.6.3 and my {censored} broke down.

at the pc-efi startup it just reboots.

anybody knows how to fix this??

is it possible to make a snow leopard "boot-132" cd for the gx520?

if so? anybody here willing to do it?

retail boot-123/vanila!!!

come on guys!!

please help me out here.

Re 10.6.3 update. You have to reinstall the Legacy kernel after the update.

There is a new "mykack installer", it can be found here http://osx86.sojugarden.com/installer/

There is a new 10.6.3 Kernel that works on the GX 520, it can be found here http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...p;#entry1440696.

With 10.6.3, Video GMA950 (Device ID: 0x2772) works with the 10.6.3 kexts. You do need to replace the framebuffer kext with the one below. No DSDT or strings required..

Audio for 10.6.3, you need the kext below, Azalia kext in extra folder no longer required. Just the kext below.

And network for 10.6.3, the kext below.

Kexts, Apps & links needed for install

Kext_Utility.zip

AppleAC97Audio.kext.zip

AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext.zip

AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext.zip

Show_Hide_Invisible_files_1.6.app.zip

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...p;#entry1440696

http://osx86.sojugarden.com/installer/

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1017

Here is what I have done and I suggest (well pdave54 suggests, he is looking over my shoulder ;-) )

I did a clean install & imported my settings.

From within Tiger or Leopard (or Snow if doing an upgrade to 10.6.3). Insert retail DVD in to dvd drive, navigate to Install DVD/System/Installation/Packages/OSInstall.mpkg. Open mkpg, change install location to hard drive or partition you wish to install to, pick

what you want in custom button and install. Still from within Tiger, leopard etc. run 10.6.3 combo (point to same drive you just installed to). Still from within Tiger, leopard etc run myHack_Installer_1.0 (point to same drive you just installed to). Customise as follows

post-530376-1270323722_thumb.png..Restart to New Install, do setup or import settings. Install Audio, Network & Framebuffer kexts with kext utility. Optionally install 10.6.3 Kernel. It has only been available a few days so is really untested, chocolate kernel is stable and time tested.

Hope this helps

EDIT &&&&&&&&&&&&&&

If you do a full import of files & settings the audio & network kexts will be imported, you still have to install the framebuffer kext.

Also Little snitch is imported, but does not show up on first start, on restart it is working (just to be certain, back up rules first)

I'm

Re 10.6.3 update. You have to reinstall the Legacy kernel after the update.

There is a new "mykack installer", it can be found here http://osx86.sojugarden.com/installer/

There is a new 10.6.3 Kernel that works on the GX 520, it can be found here http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...p;#entry1440696.

With 10.6.3, Video GMA950 (Device ID: 0x2772) works with the 10.6.3 kexts. You do need to replace the framebuffer kext with the one below. No DSDT or strings required..

Audio for 10.6.3, you need the kext below, Azalia kext in extra folder no longer required. Just the kext below.

And network for 10.6.3, the kext below.

Kexts, Apps & links needed for install

Kext_Utility.zip

AppleAC97Audio.kext.zip

AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext.zip

Show_Hide_Invisible_files_1.6.app.zip

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...p;#entry1440696

http://osx86.sojugarden.com/installer/

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1017

Here is what I have done and I suggest (well pdave54 suggests, he is looking over my shoulder ;-) )

I did a clean install & imported my settings.

From within Tiger or Leopard (or Snow if doing an upgrade to 10.6.3). Insert retail DVD in to dvd drive, navigate to Install DVD/System/Installation/Packages/OSInstall.mpkg. Open mkpg, change install location to hard drive or partition you wish to install to, pick

what you want in custom button and install. Still from within Tiger, leopard etc. run 10.6.3 combo (point to same drive you just installed to). Still from within Tiger, leopard etc run myHack_Installer_1.0 (point to same drive you just installed to). Customise as follows

post-530376-1270323722_thumb.png..Restart to New Install, do setup or import settings. Install Audio, Network & Framebuffer kexts with kext utility. Optionally install 10.6.3 Kernel. It has only been available a few days so is really untested, chocolate kernel is stable and time tested.

Hope this helps

EDIT &&&&&&&&&&&&&&

If you do a full import of files & settings the audio & network kexts will be imported, you still have to install the framebuffer kext.

Also Little snitch is imported, but does not show up on first start, on restart it is working (just to be certain, back up rules first)

I'm trying this right now. I'll report back soon.

EDIT:

Posting from Firefox on my Dell Optiplex GX520 (small form factor) via onboard ethernet (no manual MAC address changes needed like before...) running Snow Leopard 10.6.3!

gma950 fully working, haven't noticed any artifacts anyway. Front Row, transparent menu bar and rippling effect in the dashboard all present. SL doesn't show QE and CI but I assume since these things are working that I have them...

Thank you a thousand times over Dellmantt! (followed your guide to the letter after setting my bios to default configuration)

also, sound is working great! Now to see if my pci firewire card works (no reason it shouldn't, me thinks...)

I'm

I'm trying this right now. I'll report back soon.

EDIT:

Posting from Firefox on my Dell Optiplex GX520 (small form factor) via onboard ethernet (no manual MAC address changes needed like before...) running Snow Leopard 10.6.3!

gma950 fully working, haven't noticed any artifacts anyway. Front Row, transparent menu bar and rippling effect in the dashboard all present. SL doesn't show QE and CI but I assume since these things are working that I have them...

Thank you a thousand times over Dellmantt! (followed your guide to the letter after setting my bios to default configuration)

also, sound is working great! Now to see if my pci firewire card works (no reason it shouldn't, me thinks...)

Good to hear that it went well. No SL does not show QE & CI in System Profiler and from what you described it is working.

Hi

I havent checked in here for a while. Good to see the 'ol Dell's are still chugging away.

I was about to post some stuff about the latest update but I see its all pretty much covered already.

Nice work.

Just for fun: is there any way to get the front speaker on the gx520 to produce sounds other than the system beeps that occur when it starts up?

I'm sure that I had system audio coming through it in Windoze...

I have the small form factor (sff) model so maybe all of them don't have the speaker? Again, not a big deal if it isn't possible.

Just want to report that I successfully installed 10.6.3 on an Asus P5N-SLi using this method. I have QE and CI on my 8600gt (256mb). had to patch the ethernet and audio but not a big deal.

I'll be installing SL this way until a better way comes along but I don't see that happening, its just too easy!

Just want to report that I successfully installed 10.6.3 on an Asus P5N-SLi using this method. I have QE and CI on my 8600gt (256mb). had to patch the ethernet and audio but not a big deal.

I'll be installing SL this way until a better way comes along but I don't see that happening, its just too easy!

Re your signature "You will need a working install (or a real Mac) and a retail SL disk in order to follow the guide correctly."

There is another way of doing it for people that don't have a working install or access to a computer with OS X on it.

You can use IPC 10.5.6 final *LIVE* dvd. Start it to live (must have 1.1 Gb RAM), put any updates & myhack installer & image of retail disk on to a large enough usb key or external Hard Drive and away you go.

Thanks for the info. I'll keep trying the other method until it doesn't work but its nice to know a retail disc isn't NEEDED. :thumbsdown_anim:

Re your signature "You will need a working install (or a real Mac) and a retail SL disk in order to follow the guide correctly."

There is another way of doing it for people that don't have a working install or access to a computer with OS X on it.

You can use IPC 10.5.6 final *LIVE* dvd. Start it to live (must have 1.1 Gb RAM), put any updates & myhack installer & image of retail disk on to a large enough usb key or external Hard Drive and away you go.

Does anyone have the orginal how-to guide from pdave54? I am installing SL Hazard on a GX520 with new HD. Need to know the tricks to make this work. Thanks

Post 57 tells you what to do. Once you have installed Hazard, use another partition or external drive to install to 10.63 with that method, then erase hazard. From my experience & my opinion only hazard is less than ideal to have on computer.

Pdave54 original method was to already have tiger or leopard install, then to use retail DVD or image and myhack to install snow to another partition or another internal or external drive then clone back when everything was working.

• 3 weeks later...
ok, so im asking again...

anybody got the knowledge of doing this?

http://germamey.wordpress.com/2008/12/01/c...il-dvd-install/

it would be great if somebody could make a "SL Boot-123" for the Optiplex GX520 and upload it to someplace.

come on guys! help me out!!! ;)

1. I doubt that will work on the gx520... isnt it for vanila install? my GX520 needs patched kernel.

2. Did you try to make it yourself?

ok, so im asking again...

anybody got the knowledge of doing this?

http://germamey.wordpress.com/2008/12/01/c...il-dvd-install/

it would be great if somebody could make a "SL Boot-123" for the Optiplex GX520 and upload it to someplace.

come on guys! help me out!!! :wallbash:

As Lo-Fi has asked: Have you tried yourself?

Apparently it can be done

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...mp;#entry982873

• 1 month later...

Hi i have A GX620 and am having problems with the DSDT file. I was wondering if anyone has had any problems with it going to a Grey screen and if so how didi you fix it? Could anyone of you kind people be able to send me your working DSDT.aml files for the GX520 or GX620?

Kindest Regards

Jamie Cruickshank

Hi i have A GX620 and am having problems with the DSDT file. I was wondering if anyone has had any problems with it going to a Grey screen and if so how didi you fix it? Could anyone of you kind people be able to send me your working DSDT.aml files for the GX520 or GX620?

Kindest Regards

Jamie Cruickshank

This DSDT was given to me and is from a GX520 and I think worked for 10.6.0-10.6.2

DSDT.aml.zip

Here is the relevant instructions to do your own

How_to_patch_DSDT_for_GMA950.rtf

For GMA950 video with 10.6.4 use stock gma950 kexts & replace framebuffer kext with this one

No EFI strings or DSDT needed

This DSDT was given to me and is from a GX520 and I think worked for 10.6.0-10.6.2

DSDT.aml.zip

Here is the relevant instructions to do your own

How_to_patch_DSDT_for_GMA950.rtf

For GMA950 video with 10.6.4 use stock gma950 kexts & replace framebuffer kext with this one

No EFI strings or DSDT needed

If that was my DSDT it worked on 10.6.3 too. But they seem pretty fussy and should only be used on the exact same hardware, gx520's had a few different versions/configurations.

As Dellmant says you can get away without using a DSDT but if you do get it going it saves heaps of hassle at update time.