Dell Optiplex GX520

TheSnuke

136 posts in this topic

Interesting stuff. I booted into safe mode everything loooks great I have all the resolutions available to me. I checked the file and all looks well. Rebooted into normal mode and same black screen where I cant see anything except the mouse and a few trace colors here and there. How do I get it to boot the driver that it uses for safe mode. Thats perfect

I show that the appleintelintegratedframbuffer.kext is the file its using for video in safe mode. So your script is working. Looks like its trying to load another driver out of safe mode. For some reason in my extensions folder I can only see one kext. all the other ones arent showing up. Is there a view I am missing?

That is a great idea. I have a couple of old extra hard drives somewhere around here. That would make this much easier. Esp for comparison. I really appreciate all your help. Shoot me an email with your email address Id like you send you something for all your trouble.

So should I delete the GMA950 graphics kexts?

Im all set. I started from scratch and backed up after each move. I am running full resolution with acceleration. Sounds working really well too. Im so excited. I learned a ton by doing this too. Thanks so much Pdave54 no way I could have gotten it without your help. BTW I see that your from Australia. Tiger Woods just won down there today. Well probably yesterday for you. :thanks_speechbubble:

Audio now working

Add AppleAC97Audio.kext to system/library/extensions

and AppleAzaliaAudio.kext to extra/extensions

cheers

Hi

I tried your tutorials and I have the Ethernet and Graphic working perfectly, but still the sound not working even I tried everything (I guess).

Is there any thing I am missing. I have Optiplex GX620 2.8 GHz but it has the same specs of Optiplex GX520.

Can I get any help.

I did as said "Add AppleAC97Audio.kext to system/library/extensions

and AppleAzaliaAudio.kext to extra/extensions". Then ran "kext utility". Went to sound in "system preferences" and picked AC97 Audio (PMC) in output. Not sure of GX 620 bios, is there anything in there to enable sound.

This is for Leopard but may help

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/lofiversi...hp/t155185.html

I really appreciate your quick response.

In the Bios the audio is enabled.

I am using on the same PC iAtkos 10.5.7 on External Hard Disk and the sound is working.

Before I installed iDeneb, IPC and iAtkos and the sound was working.

In Snow 10.6 there is nothing to choose from Preferences/Sound for output.

Even now I tried AD1981 HD.kext but still not working.

thanks in advance.

I did as said "Add AppleAC97Audio.kext to system/library/extensions

and AppleAzaliaAudio.kext to extra/extensions". Then ran "kext utility". Went to sound in "system preferences" and picked AC97 Audio (PMC) in output. Not sure of GX 620 bios, is there anything in there to enable sound.

This is for Leopard but may help

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/lofiversi...hp/t155185.html

It is working now.

Thanks a lot.....

good.

whick method worked

1. How to fix Audio problem :

Edit or add to /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAC97Audio.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleAC97AudioIntelICH.kext/Contents/Info.plist with the following text

<key>ICH7 AC97 Audio</key>

<dict>

<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>

<string>com.apple.driver.AppleAC97AudioIntelICH</string>

<key>ICH Type</key>

<integer>7</integer>

<key>IOClass</key>

<string>AppleAC97AudioIntelICH</string>

<key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>

<string>0x27DE8086</string>

<key>IOProbeScore</key>

<integer>10000</integer>

<key>IOProviderClass</key>

<string>IOPCIDevice</string>

</dict>

Thanks again now I am watching Movie.

Thanks. Its for other people who might read this thread

Enjoy the movie

Hi again;

After using snow 10.6.2 for a few days I noticed that the Mouse will give effect (picture of mouse pausing), but still the mouse works in some apps like MS Words and Dreamweaver.

Any Suggestions.

Thanks

:(

Yes its a known problem with Entourage, I get it, but only in the preview pane.

Hadn't used Word for while, tried it, got mouse artifact in both Word 2004 & Word 2008, i don't use Dreamweaver.

Have no answer except to hope that next update will fix things.

I wish U a good luck

Regards.

:)

• 2 weeks later...
Yes sure, I indicated that in an edit to one of my posts on the first page. Navigate to /Volumes/Mac OS X Install DVD/System/Installation/Packages/,OSInstall.mpkg. Install to desired destination, Before restart "myhack" from 10.5.7 & point it to the destination disk.

Go for it this is how i have installed my systems, 'myhack' works great, you can always mess arround with it after from your 10.5.7

Just an idea, if you keep both drives on the two SATA channels you can alternate between the 2 OS's from the BIOS by switching of your SATA controllers e.g 10.6.2 on SATA 1

10.5.7 on SATA 2

Switch SATA 1 off and 10.5.7 will boot. saves messing with boot loaders if you cant be bothered.

• 1 month later...

hi Ive had a few PM's on this

All Daves posts have gone!

I cant exactly remember what I did now but basically from within leo, install SL to another drive and run the myhack installer (google it and d/l the package.) (choose the choc kernel & install to the SL drive not the leo drive!)

Then unplug the leo drive and plug the drive you just installed the SL to in to the primary channel. Should be good to go.

Try that, sorry I cant be much more help at the moment but Im really busy.

Also I found it best to create your own DSDT fixes GMA950 problems.

Seeya and good luck.

• 3 weeks later...
Has anyone installed Snow Leopard on a Dell GX520? I currently have OSX Leopard 10.5.6 on it and I'm curious if a Snow Leopard upgrade is possible.

Can somebody please tell me how to install Snow Leopard on the Optiplex 520 (tower) ?

Currently mine is running kalyway like a dream.

please help me out!

I cant exactly remember what I did now but basically from within leo, install SL to another drive and run the myhack installer (google it and d/l the package.) (choose the choc kernel & install to the SL drive not the leo drive!)

Then unplug the leo drive and plug the drive you just installed the SL to in to the primary channel. Should be good to go.

Thanks lo-fi, I installed SL on my GX520 using your method, and it worked! however, gma950 is not fully supported with a fixed resolution of 1024*768. I tried to patch DSDT as you suggested but with no luck. could you pls sent me a copy of your patched DSDT to me if it is not too much touble, since the one you posted earlier is already deadlinked. I would be much indebted if you do.

here is my mailbox: jimshan@hotmail.com, thanks again.