Snow Leopard drivers for RT 2870 WIFI usb

16 posts in this topic

I actually have the same problem with having to turn the radio off/on and remember that this also occured on 10.5.8 with Ralink drivers.

I wouldn't say they're hopeless though, better than nothing and it doesn't happen as frequently with the new driver as the old one.

I'm using a D-Link DWA140, and it works perfectly with D-Links own drivers in 10.5.8... hope they'll release one for 10.6

• 3 weeks later...

Yah i have the fsd8053 belkin with this chipset. Have the exact same prob in snow leo only. 10.5.8 drivers work perfect for me. 64 or 32 mode 10.6, loses connection and must restart the radio to get working.... very frustrating.. happens in like every 4 or five mins.

• 2 weeks later...

My new Alfa AWUS050NH is equipped with v.2 of the Ralink 2870. The CD only contained drivers for Panther, Tiger and Leo. The Leo driver is not working in Snow Leo. The current driver 2.0.0.0 Ralink offers on their website contains a package for Snow Leo, but that one only appears to be for the 2870 v.1.

Anyway, I just got my Alfa AWUS050NH with the 2870 v.2 working in Snow Leo 10.6.1 by taking the Snow Leo RT2870USBWirelessDriver.kext from Ralink's installer from their website (2.0.0.0) and adding the info.plist from the Leo RT2870USBWirelessDriver.kext from the CD for the Alfa AWUS050NH v.2. You can download the modded kext at the bottom of this posting.

Apply the kext with your favorite kext tool (in Snow Leo I use kext helper b7). You don't even necessarily have to restart; usually it is enough to just wait a minute until the kext is loaded and the diode flashes on the adapter. Then go into System Preferences/ Network and confirm the new network interface, then Apply.

I also confirm aqua-mac's Airport-like app for Ralink 2870 working with v.2 once the kext is loaded.

For those who have probs with disconnects: if you are running on WPA-PSK, try to connect via AES instead TKIP, or vice versa. I have made good experiences with flipping the encryption mode.

Please give some feedback if this driver works for your Ralink 2870 v.2 in Snow Leo.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hello all,

I have loaded SL 10.6.2 on an HP mini 311 and I also use a D-Link DWA-140. I have the same connection issue as everyone describes: dropped connection every minute.

I found out on other threads and forums that this is likely to be a Snow Leopard problem. Many "legit" Mac Book Pro owners report the same thing: their Apple built machine worked great with 10.5 but wifi is useless with 10.6.

So, I am not necessarily blaming the dropped connection on the Ralink drivers. It looks like they work fine. The problem lays with Sl and so far, no resolution in sight, not even from Apple.

Has anyone had better luck with another adapter by any chance? I am considering the Dell 1510 card (internal 1/2 size PCI card would look better than a "big black stick" on the side) but I can't confirm or inform that it works better.

Has anyone solution for connection drops? Maybe some legacy drivers will work...

Use the older Ralink drivers (RTUSB D2870-1.3.0.0 UI-1.7.1.0_2009_03_10.dmg) they sort the connection drop for me on snow, thats using a belkin F5D8053 usb adapter :)

ps - I now am using an apple airport extreme via a miniPCI adapter, works ootb, fantastic at n speeds :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

If you have problems with interupting WLAN connections

Here some brief instructions

you may have to add/edit your sysctl settings:

$ sudo touch /etc/sysctl.conf

$ nano /etc/sysctl.conf

Copy the settings into the file and save changes (just press CRTL+X and confirm with Y)

kern.ipc.somaxconn=512

net.inet.tcp.mssdflt=1460

net.inet.tcp.sendspace=98304

net.inet.tcp.recvspace=98304

kern.ipc.maxsockbuf=1048576

net.inet.udp.maxdgram=57344

net.inet.udp.recvspace=42080

net.local.stream.sendspace=98304

net.local.stream.recvspace=98304

net.inet.tcp.delayed_ack=0

net.inet.tcp.rfc1323=1

net.inet.tcp.rfc1644=1