Firewire and hackintosh?!

MasterLen

24 posts in this topic

I am searching since month for a fix for the firewire issues.

First I used my onboard TI firewire device....later I bought a PCI Express TI firewire device....

In Leopard I always had this error: "ERROR: FireWire unable to determine security-mode; defaulting to full-secure"

Here I used Chameleon RC2 as bootloader.

In Snow Leopard I am using PC EFI V10.3 and here I get this error: "FireWire runtime power conservation disabled. (2)"

I think the firewire issues( glitches and unstable Firewire audio interfaces, and slow speeds with hard disks)

in Snow and Leo have to do with these errors...

So is there any fix for this?

Please help!

Thanks

I know that there are FW issues with Snow but is there any patches for Leo that can allow FW audio interfaces to work properly....?

There are no patches for Leopard, same issue like Snow!

Now I am searching since month, without any luck....

I use a presonus firebox, as the only sound device installed on my Ideneb 1.6 (leopard 10.5.8) install and it works perfectly. I also use a Seagate 1TB external drive on the same FW pci card and haven't noticed the drive transferring or accessing any slower than it does on the same FW card in XP. I've had them both for quite a while and am very familiar with their operation under windows XP as a comparrison.

I get the same security error you stated at startup, but it hasn't made a difference in operation of the devices in my case.

The only issue I've experienced is that I couldn't run both cores of an E8400 core 2 duo and have firewire enabled without random freezes and lockups on an EVGA 750i FTW SLI mobo. I have since changed to a gigabyte GA-EP43-UD3L and it's rock solid stable.

I tried everything I could find to get the other board to stay stable but it just wouldn't, not with the onboard FW port or the PCI card (the onboard is a TI chip and the PCI card I have is an Agere chip if I remember correctly)

I use the firebox in logic studio 9 and the new Presonus DAW every day and it works great. It also works as the primary (and only) audio device installed on my rig for daily audio duties.

I use a presonus firebox, as the only sound device installed on my Ideneb 1.6 (leopard 10.5.8) install and it works perfectly. I also use a Seagate 1TB external drive on the same FW pci card and haven't noticed the drive transferring or accessing any slower than it does on the same FW card in XP. I've had them both for quite a while and am very familiar with their operation under windows XP as a comparrison.

I get the same security error you stated at startup, but it hasn't made a difference in operation of the devices in my case.

The only issue I've experienced is that I couldn't run both cores of an E8400 core 2 duo and have firewire enabled without random freezes and lockups on an EVGA 750i FTW SLI mobo. I have since changed to a gigabyte GA-EP43-UD3L and it's rock solid stable.

I tried everything I could find to get the other board to stay stable but it just wouldn't, not with the onboard FW port or the PCI card (the onboard is a TI chip and the PCI card I have is an Agere chip if I remember correctly)

I use the firebox in logic studio 9 and the new Presonus DAW every day and it works great. It also works as the primary (and only) audio device installed on my rig for daily audio duties.

Do you get this error? "FireWire runtime power conservation disabled. (2)"

No I don't. I do see during a boot with the -v switch that the chip gets identified and the speed is set. It also works fine both when the machine goes to sleep and wakes up, and when the drive itself spins down after inactivity.

BTW my post wasn't to say you are doing or finding anything wrong, just that there's someone out here using an audio interface via firewire and having success. if you need any more details or info I'd be glad to provide what I can. Hope ya get yours working.

No I don't. I do see during a boot with the -v switch that the chip gets identified and the speed is set. It also works fine both when the machine goes to sleep and wakes up, and when the drive itself spins down after inactivity.

BTW my post wasn't to say you are doing or finding anything wrong, just that there's someone out here using an audio interface via firewire and having success. if you need any more details or info I'd be glad to provide what I can. Hope ya get yours working.

Thanks for trying to help!

You can see in your Console(type in spotlight "console", then click on "all logs") all the logs while booting.....

Here search for "firewire"

Then you can see if you get this error: "FireWire runtime power conservation disabled. (2)" while booting or not!

Thanks for you help jkramer5!

Well I'll be, it does show that error in the log you pointed me at. This system is also older than 10/11/09 but that's as far back as the entries go. I've never seen that on the screen at boot with -v flag, but it may just be that it shoots by too fast.

10/11/09 10:46:15 AM kernel FireWire runtime power conservation disabled. (2)

10/11/09 10:46:16 AM kernel FireWire (OHCI) Lucent ID 5811 PCI now active, GUID 0030bd00000006e0; max speed s400.

10/11/09 10:46:16 AM kernel ERROR: FireWire unable to determine security-mode; defaulting to full-secure.

10/11/09 6:31:06 PM kernel [JMicronATA] _tfFeatureReg 0FireWire runtime power conservation disabled. (2)

10/11/09 6:31:07 PM kernel FireWire (OHCI) Lucent ID 5811 PCI now active, GUID 0030bd00000006e0; max speed s400.

10/11/09 6:31:12 PM kernel ERROR: FireWire unable to determine security-mode; defaulting to full-secure.

============================================================================

10/12/09 12:37:48 AM kernel FireWire runtime power conservation disabled. (2)

10/12/09 12:37:48 AM kernel FireWire (OHCI) Lucent ID 5811 PCI now active, GUID 0030bd00000006e0; max speed s400.

10/12/09 12:37:48 AM kernel ERROR: FireWire unable to determine security-mode; defaulting to full-secure.

10/12/09 3:54:28 PM kernel FireWire runtime power conservation disabled. (2)

10/12/09 3:54:28 PM kernel FireWire (OHCI) Lucent ID 5811 PCI now active, GUID 0030bd00000006e0; max speed s400.

10/12/09 3:54:31 PM kernel ERROR: FireWire unable to determine security-mode; defaulting to full-secure.

============================================================================

10/13/09 9:37:19 AM kernel FireWire runtime power conservation disabled. (2)

10/13/09 9:37:19 AM kernel FireWire (OHCI) Lucent ID 5811 PCI now active, GUID 0030bd00000006e0; max speed s400.

10/13/09 9:37:22 AM kernel ERROR: FireWire unable to determine security-mode; defaulting to full-secure

10/13/09 9:38:19 AM configd[14] InterfaceNamer: MacPro2,1/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/HUB0@1E/IOPCI2PCIBridge/pci11c1,5811@1/AppleFWOHC

I/IOFireWireController [1]

10/13/09 9:38:19 AM configd[14] InterfaceNamer: MacPro2,1/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/HUB0@1E/IOPCI2PCIBridge/pci11c1,5811@1/AppleFWOHCI/IOFireWireController/IOFireWireDevice@a9200d8040619 [1]

10/13/09 9:38:19 AM configd[14] InterfaceNamer: MacPro2,1/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/HUB0@1E/IOPCI2PCIBridge/pci11c1,5811@1/AppleFWOHCI/IOFireWireController/IOFireWireDevice@a9200d8040619/IOFireWireUnit [1]

10/13/09 9:38:19 AM configd[14] InterfaceNamer: MacPro2,1/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/HUB0@1E/IOPCI2PCIBridge/pci11c1,5811@1/AppleFWOHCI/IOFireWireController/IOFireWireDevice@a9200d8040619/IOFireWireUnit/IOFireWireAVCUnit [1]

10/13/09 9:38:19 AM configd[14] InterfaceNamer: MacPro2,1/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/HUB0@1E/IOPCI2PCIBridge/pci11c1,5811@1/AppleFWOHCI/IOFireWireController/IOFireWireDevice@a9200d8040619/IOFireWireUnit/IOFireWireAVCUnit/IOFireWireAVCSubUnit [1]

• 1 month later...
How to solve it ?who can help us?

"FireWire runtime power conservation disabled. (2)"

on my ep45-ds3 and ep45-ds3l is the hpet-dsdt-patch the problem. the first "old" PCI-slot goes out of order with "runtime power conservation disabled". on ep45-ds3 the onboard-firewire works just fine with hpet-patch and without. (duende-classic, m-audio-ligtbridge and external hds) but with patch the card in pcislot 1 (firewire or not) doesnt work. maybe this helps to fix this problem fast.

i dont want to delete the applehpet.kext because of my untouched retails. maybe someone can fix this in dsdt?

best regards

gnatze

• 1 month later...

I don't know if you got this resolved, but I have a Focusrite Saffire LE working on my Asus PK5C onboard firewire with retail install (with various added kexts and EFI strings for the particulars) of OS 10.5.8. The LE was always recognized by the system, but didn't work until I installed "AppleFWAudio-2.1.0fc9-e2" and subsequently replaced the AppleFWAudio.kext with version 1.2.2.

My attempt to get it working in a Snow Leopard installation was fruitless.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a stubborn lump of hardware when it comes to OSX86 and also dual-booting with Win 7 (got a Sony VAIO NR-series laptop with iATKOS install 10.5.7) - all running smooth now, just one or two things to iron out. Firewire may be one of them - System Profiler is saying

FireWire Bus:

Warning: Unable to list FireWire devices.

and in vebose boot/ -s boot it defaults to full-secure as it is unable to determine firewire status like the guys says. But I haven't actually tested it yet ... what're the chances of it working? I want to reserve my cardslot for audio as I have HDA out but no mic in. So no Skype, no Logic Pro :thumbsup_anim:

Thanks for any help

I don't know if you got this resolved, but I have a Focusrite Saffire LE working on my Asus PK5C onboard firewire with retail install (with various added kexts and EFI strings for the particulars) of OS 10.5.8. The LE was always recognized by the system, but didn't work until I installed "AppleFWAudio-2.1.0fc9-e2" and subsequently replaced the AppleFWAudio.kext with version 1.2.2.

My attempt to get it working in a Snow Leopard installation was fruitless.

Any chance of you posting the kext/AppleFWAudio-2.1.xxx? Maybe I'll get my FW online

Cheers :)

• 1 month later...
on my ep45-ds3 and ep45-ds3l is the hpet-dsdt-patch the problem. the first "old" PCI-slot goes out of order with "runtime power conservation disabled". on ep45-ds3 the onboard-firewire works just fine with hpet-patch and without. (duende-classic, m-audio-ligtbridge and external hds) but with patch the card in pcislot 1 (firewire or not) doesnt work. maybe this helps to fix this problem fast.

i dont want to delete the applehpet.kext because of my untouched retails. maybe someone can fix this in dsdt?

best regards

gnatze

Reckon you could post your working Leopard onboard Firewire kexts? I'm desperate to get my FW 400s working and have an ExpressCard slot (not PCMCIA) and want to reserve that for a soundcard pref

Thanks a lot

• 4 weeks later...
The firewire driver I used can be found at this Japanese site:

http://www.allaccess.co.jp/Focusrite/Saffi...firepro_DL.html

The kext I inserted after that installation was posted here by another forum user:

http://rapidshare.com/files/108894413/Appl...o.kext.zip.html

Thanks! Will try now. See how it goes...

EDIT: Just tried it... installed the Japanese package then put the kext in S/L/E/ using kext helper- was that right? rebooted and same thing: Cannot list FW devices/cannot determine FW security status, defaulting to full-secure.

Any ideas?? :)

• 1 month later...
Thanks! Will try now. See how it goes...

EDIT: Just tried it... installed the Japanese package then put the kext in S/L/E/ using kext helper- was that right? rebooted and same thing: Cannot list FW devices/cannot determine FW security status, defaulting to full-secure.

Any ideas?? :censored2:

Err.. bump

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everybody,

sry i have to put my post into this one, but can't yet make my own topics.

I was able to install Snow Leopard onto my EP45-UD3P mainboard. I was also able to upgrade to 10.6.3. Everything works perfectly fine except LAN is very slow, and I have the feeling as soon the hackintosh boots up and is on the network it slows down my other computers as well.

The other issue I experience is, the computer takes ages to boot up. I attached a picture of the verbose mode. I disabled firewire already cuz it was showing up there too. So far I have still a USB problem it looks like and one kext is missing or something and I wonder if that is the reason why the computer takes so long to boot up.

Help would be much appreciated, since I already spend days to get the system like it is and my wife is already on aggro. :(

post-619421-1274648149_thumb.jpg

• 5 months later...

In windows, I get huge DPC latency spikes if I turn HPET on. My FW audio card is unusable then. So we are right in assumming that they are sharing an IRQ. A possible solution would be to modify the DSDT so the FW gets its own fixed IRQ that does not fight with HPET. I have searched through unnumerable posts and some mention this, but no clear guide as how to do it yet. FW audio in SL 10.6.4 works for me. Not without problems. The infamous "Firewire runtime power conservation disabled" message is one of the bad guys here too. We certainly need some DSDT guidance here!

Also, dont know if its possible but a disabler kext may be useful in order to rule out the HPET. I think you would not have CPU power management too. Just wondering... But I prefer my FW card working fine for my DAW than to use power management.

I fixed the thing as posted there. No more messages about firewire power, effectively, that was preventing my FW card from coming back online when off. However, if I am playing music through iTunes and suddenly disconnect the audio card, the only way back is from sleep. Also, disabled HPET on my machine and started to use nullcpupower and sleepenabler. Life is good now.