Which wireless cards (mini pci-e) can be best used for Snow Leopard?

oetkaa

37 posts in this topic

Hey Guys,

I need some help finding a few good wifi-cards (mini PCI-e) that will work perfectly under Snow leopard, because I can't find anyone (with a notebook) that recommends a specific wireless card.

After a few days (2 or 3) I will make a list of all wifi-cards named, to help other people that have the same problem! So if you have a working kext or method please post it with the wifi-card name/number.

Also would you please note (if you know) if the wifi-card also works under leopard (or Tiger).

Thanks for the help!

EDIT:

List working Mini PCI-e adapters on Snow Leopard:

1. Broadcom BCM94321MC (802.11n, 300MB) works out of the box with both Leopard and Snow Leopard
  2. Dell/Broadcom BCM4321 (802.11n, 300MB) works out of the box with both Leopard and Snow Leopard
  3. Atheros AR5BXB6(-M) (802.11B/G, 54MB) works out of the box with Tiger, Leopard and Snow Leopard
  4. Atheros AR9281 (K32 only) (802.11n, 300MB) works out of the box with Snow Leopard (maybe not 10.6.2)
  5. Atheros AR5BXB72 (802.11n, 300MB) works out of the box with leopard and snow leopard

Does nobody know anything? Because I see a lot of people are reading this, but apparently there isn't one who knows something to say. But I understand, Snowleopard is also new for me and that's why I asked this question in the first place! ;)

Come on OSX86 experts, drop the bomb here! :D

Broadcom BCM94321MC (Works in both kernels.)

Thanks, man! I'll note it!

But 2 questions: do you mean Broadcom BCM94321MC official mac hardware or the standard windows/linux version? And will the official mac hardware also work under windows with the official drivers of the windows/linux version?

But 2 questions: do you mean Broadcom BCM94321MC official mac hardware or the standard windows/linux version? And will the official mac hardware also work under windows with the official drivers of the windows/linux version?

Either should work. I'm using the Apple-built card, and Windows 7 kicks in with its own drivers automatically.

Either should work. I'm using the Apple-built card, and Windows 7 kicks in with its own drivers automatically.

Ok thanks, i asked it because on ebay you have a broadcom BCM94321MC which is for windows and linux and you have the Apple Airport card BCM94321MC. So I didn't know which one was best for all operating systems. But based on your advise I will take the official apple airport card for 10,81 euro! :)

It's where I got the card for my N6420, it's recognized out of the box as an AirPort Extreme.

It's an Askey WLL4080 with the AR5BXB6 chip.

Thanks but the Atheros AR5BXB6 was already noted, a lot of cards use this chipset so it will be a hell of a work to note them al. ;) But it's good for google that the mentioned it. :)

Added Atheros AR5BXB72 (802.11n, 300MB) works out of the box with leopard and snow leopard

Also added warning for Snow Leopard 64 bit, because I don't know if a lot of these cards will work under 64 Bit.

Does anybody know if the Broadcom BCM94321 that's not from Apple will also work as good (on leopard and Snow Leopard) as the one that is from Apple (Broadcom BCM94321MC)? Thanks for the help!

Added Atheros AR5BXB72 (802.11n, 300MB) works out of the box with leopard and snow leopard

Also added warning for Snow Leopard 64 bit, because I don't know if a lot of these cards will work under 64 Bit.

Does anybody know if the Broadcom BCM94321 that's not from Apple will also work as good (on leopard and Snow Leopard) as the one that is from Apple (Broadcom BCM94321MC)? Thanks for the help!

Doesn't anyone know? Could some one please help me with this?

Eh eh

Means that I'd rather to find a OOTB pci or pcie NW card / an usb stick or even a powerline adapter to connect this computer...

Thanx folks ; )

Sorry I was changing my answer, because the solution that shoarthing suggested was right. Because I suggested to use a normal pci-e adapter for desktops that was supported by snow leopard and not a mini pci-e to pci-e with a mini pci-e card. It just seemed to me as a waste of money.

Thanks for the help guys! I've bought a Broadcom BCM94321MC (not official apple mini pci-e) and I apparently their aren't many other mini pci-e cards that work under snow leopard (on this moment). I'll test the card when it's in and give the results in this topic.

In abouth a month I'll update the topic when their are more mini pci-e cards compatible with snow leopard. So if you find any please post so the list can be updated!

All of these cards seem full height. Any half height cards that will play nice in Snow Leo ?

No, for the most of these cards there isn't much hope. I'll hope that they crack Intel 5100 or 5300 (Darwin is busy with these), because I have a 5100 in my notebook right now and these are half height.

Until then I give the broadcom BCM4322 the most change of being cracked as a half-height wifi card. They sell them on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.nl/HP-BCM94322MC-BCM4322-B...=item5189962de6

PM: Your notebook has nice specs, in a year I hope to have Nvidia ION too. :P