VMWare broke my install! (ebios read error: device timeout)

hars

4 posts in this topic

Ok so I managed to finally install SL retail on my PC which is as follows:

Asus p5k deluxe

Nvidia 8800 ultra

4gb RAM

2 x 10k Raptors (configured software raid when I installed)

500gb Seagate drive

Installing various kexts and everything to get the hardware working and up to scratch. I download (karma or what) a beta version of Fusion 3 because I could not get parallels to work on it at all (there's a few windows programs that i need for work).

The install went absolutely fine with VMware, rebooted and I get this:

ebios read error: device timeout

block 0x87f948 Sectors 0

THis repeats about 5-6 times and then I get "error parsing plist file" and goes back another 4-5times.

After that I get the chameleon loader.

Then I get the exact same behaviour as above with the ebios {censored}e.

After that it looks like it's about to boot up like normal but stops eventually and gives me that "Waiting for root device" error.

Any ideas? I really really really don't want to start from scratch again....

Adv(thanks)ance

Did you try the most generic method?

1 - Take your hard disk (the one which OSX have been installed to) and connect it to another Mac-like (hackintosh or real Mac...) and re-install the bootloader (Chameleon in your case), PC_EFI, DSDT.aml and some of the most basic kexts (NullCPU, OHR, Disabler...)

2 - Take it back to your system and hit the power button.

If you don't have access to another Mac-like, you can always boot up with a distro ( recommend iATKOS v7) and install it (temporary) to another disk. Boot from that and re-install just like mentioned above.

As far as i know emulators like vmware and parallels tends to install some kexts, which sometimes can really screw up a hackintosh. My rig (G31M-ES2L/E5300/4GB/8400GS) ran fine with vanilla SL and various programs but begin to show kernel panics after I installed Parallels 4 and VMWare Fusion 2 (not beta, mind you). Sometime it can get to Windows screen, in others it's just KP just when I power on the VM. My solution? Remove them and install windows to another disk, why bother with emulators when you are *supposed* to run windows/linux on your box. CrossOver can always run some small apps I need.