[GUIDE] Making a DSDT.aml for Dell XPS M1330, XPS M1530, and XPS M1730

immo

2,030 posts in this topic

I'm no expert on the topic, but it sounds good. Have you given it a try?

Yes, I tried it as per my post. Took Brett's DSDT.dsl and added the operation region over PTS then added the method to PTS. But it didn't do the trick.

Yes, I tried it as per my post. Took Brett's DSDT.dsl and added the operation region over PTS then added the method to PTS. But it didn't do the trick.

Well good try anyways. Could you post a link to the Gigabyte thread?

Immo

Well good try anyways. Could you post a link to the Gigabyte thread?

Immo

It is called Gigabyte Fixes for DSDT. One of the pages that mentions the shutdown fix is HERE

But it is also mentioned about half way through the thread and, I think even earlier when they first found it.

@dlach

I tried it in the way you mentioned it a page before - it works! ;)

That is what I have done to get it work:

I have taken Brett Whinnen's DSDT for the M1530 and modified it.

In the decompiled DSDT.dsl search for "PTS". Above this method, add the following code:

OperationRegion (PMRS, SystemIO, 0x1030, One)
Field (PMRS, ByteAcc, NoLock, Preserve)
{
, 4, 
SLPE, 1
}

Then replace the PTS-Method with this code:

Method (_PTS, 1, NotSerialized)
{
	If (LEqual (Arg0, 0x05))
	{
		Store (Zero, SLPE)
		Sleep (0x10)
	}
}

Save it, add the HPET-Patch with DSDT-Patcher (is this necesary? Maybe not, because Brett Whinnen's DSDT should be already patched) and compile it.

--------------------

By the way: Is there a way to get the Audio-Codec to work with the original AppleHDA-driver under Snow Leopard? VoodooHDA 0.2.56 sometimes lead to a Kernel Panic on boot since the update to OSX 10.6.3.

Hello,

I am running SL on a Dell XPS M1330 with T8300 and Intel X3100 and have problems with the resolution of the display (1024x768 instead of 1280x800) and the sound.

That's what I did:

- I created a DSDT.aml with linux as described in the first posting (included Patches: DTGB Method, Fix USB Devices Randomly Not Working, HD Audio Patching, IDE Fix, and the final patches with DSDT Patcher). The DSDT was compiled with no errors.

- I installed chameleon RC4 on an USB stick for testing and copied the necessary kext files on the stick:

File structure USB stick

boot

/Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist

/Extra/dsdt.aml

/Extra/smbios.plist

/Extra/Extensions/AppleACIPPS2Nub.kext

/Extra/Extensions/ApplePS2Controller.kext

/Extra/Extensions/fakesmc.kext

/Extra/Extensions/IOATAFamily.kext

/Extra/Extensions/NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

/Extra/Extensions/VoodooBattery.kext

/Extra/Extensions/VoodooHDA.kext

/Extra/Extensions/VoodooTSCSync.kext

/library/

/usr/

com.apple.Boot.plist

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Hide Partition</key>
<string>hd(1,3)</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>DropSSDT=Y</string>
<string>arch=x86_64</string>
<key>Rescan</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string>1280x800x32</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>0</string>
<key>SMBIOSdefaults</key>
<string>No</string>
<key>DSDT</key>
<string>rd(0,0)/Extra/DSDT.aml</string>
</dict>
</plist>

smbios.plist

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>SMbiosvendor</key>
<string>Apple Inc.</string>
<key>SMbiosversion</key>
<string>MBP51.88Z.0074.B00.0810241236</string>
<key>SMboardmanufacter</key>
<string>Dell Inc.</string>
<key>SMboardproduct</key>
<string>XPS M1330</string>
<key>SMexternalclock</key>
<string>200</string>
<key>SMfamily</key>
<string>Mac</string>
<key>SMmanufacter</key>
<string>Apple Inc.</string>
<key>SMmaximalclock</key>
<string>2400</string>
<key>SMmemmanufacter_1</key>
<key>SMmemmanufacter_2</key>
<key>SMmempart_1</key>
<string>DDR2 SDRAM</string>
<key>SMmempart_2</key>
<string>DDR2 SDRAM</string>
<key>SMmemserial_1</key>
<string>00FF0000</string>
<key>SMmemserial_2</key>
<string>000736TU</string>
<key>SMmemspeed</key>
<string>667</string>
<key>SMmemtype</key>
<string>19</string>
<key>SMproductname</key>
<string>MacBookPro5,1</string>
<key>SMserial</key>
<string>XXXXXXXXXXXX</string>
<key>SMsystemversion</key>
<string>1.0</string>
<key>SMboardid</key>
<string>Mac-F42D86C8</string>
<key>SMboarduuid</key>
<string>00000000-0000-0001-8000-001E4C6405B5</string>
<key>SMmembankloc_1</key>
<string>BANK</string>
<key>SMmemdevloc_1</key>
<string>DIMM_A</string>
<key>SMmembankloc_2</key>
<string>BANK</string>
<key>SMmemdevloc_2</key>
<string>DIMM_B</string>
</dict>
</plist>

My problems

- The resolution of the display is wrong, 1024x768 instead of 1280x800

- Sound is not working (I am using voodoohda.kext and applehda.kext was removed. By installing the voodoohda.prefPane I got the error "Can't get registry entry path").

Does anyone know how to solve the problems?

Thanks a lot and best regards,

Michael

- Sound is not working (I am using voodoohda.kext and applehda.kext was removed. By installing the voodoohda.prefPane I got the error "Can't get registry entry path").

VoodooHDA does not load from /E/E on boot. Either put it in /S/L/E and repair permissions or load it manually after boot using "sudo kextload /Extra/Extensions/VoodooHDA.kext" at terminal.

@dlach

I tried it in the way you mentioned it a page before - it works! :P

That is what I have done to get it work:

I have taken Brett Whinnen's DSDT for the M1530 and modified it.

In the decompiled DSDT.dsl search for "PTS". Above this method, add the following code:

OperationRegion (PMRS, SystemIO, 0x1030, One)
Field (PMRS, ByteAcc, NoLock, Preserve)
{
, 4, 
SLPE, 1
}

Then replace the PTS-Method with this code:

Method (_PTS, 1, NotSerialized)
{
	If (LEqual (Arg0, 0x05))
	{
		Store (Zero, SLPE)
		Sleep (0x10)
	}
}

Save it, add the HPET-Patch with DSDT-Patcher (is this necesary? Maybe not, because Brett Whinnen's DSDT should be already patched) and compile it.

--------------------

Great!

I think my mistake was to leave the existing code in PTS and just add the new function. You shouldn't need to re-add the HPET patch. Will try again.

By the way: Is there a way to get the Audio-Codec to work with the original AppleHDA-driver under Snow Leopard? VoodooHDA 0.2.56 sometimes lead to a Kernel Panic on boot since the update to OSX 10.6.3.

I don't know of a way but it is something I plan on looking into next. VoodoHDA is great but the goal is to get rid of as many non-vanilla kexts as possible and for sure anything that has to go in /S/L/E and require an effort to fix after an update from Apple. Also, some m1330s have a problem with VoodooHDA where the speakers don't work(I have one). Apparently the old method from Leopard works for these and so I'd like to try to get it working on SL.

To that end I tried to use AsereBLN's new V1.1.9 Chameleon RC4 fix-up because it provides a reset fix, and other pending Chameleon features that let you get rid of VoodooBattery. But it doesn't quite work right with the m1530 and the result is you lose the battery status indicator, so I backed it out. AnV also has a branch of Chameleon RC4 that lets you load the various tables (e.g. SSDT) separately. I tried it on another platform I have where I've successfully embedded my SSDT tables in the DSDT. Unfortunately it didn't quite work either, though I plan to keep on working on it.

Been gone for a while, but some good progress here.

Have attached my latest DSDT which now includes the new Shutdown fix, which I'm happy to say works perfectly. So this is still my generic DSDT.aml for an M1530 with the additions for Shutdown.

So with OSXRestart.kext and this fix I'm almost to a perfect point. Just need to sort out the trackpad properly (spend some time investigating) for 2-finger scroll, tap to click etc...

DSDT.aml.zip

Cheers

Brett

Full trackpad support would be nice.

There are a few other things, that would ne nice to have. But I do not know if they possible to integrate into the DSDT: C-State-Support, Audio with an unmodified AppleHDA.kext, working brightness-slider in the display configuration. If there are code snippets regarding these features let me know. I would like to test them.

Been gone for a while, but some good progress here.

Have attached my latest DSDT which now includes the new Shutdown fix, which I'm happy to say works perfectly. So this is still my generic DSDT.aml for an M1530 with the additions for Shutdown.

So with OSXRestart.kext and this fix I'm almost to a perfect point. Just need to sort out the trackpad properly (spend some time investigating) for 2-finger scroll, tap to click etc...

DSDT.aml.zip

Cheers

Brett

Thanks Brett. Some of the work going on with the Chameleon RC4 will help us with restart. As previously posted I tried AsereBLN's version. I mentioned that battery appears to work but status is munged. What I didn't mention is that reset is fixed because of updating of FACP to include the reset register. If we could just get battery status fixed, we could ditch both VoodooBattery and OSXrestart.

VoodooHDA does not load from /E/E on boot. Either put it in /S/L/E and repair permissions or load it manually after boot using "sudo kextload /Extra/Extensions/VoodooHDA.kext" at terminal.

Thanks a lot. Sound is working.

Does anyone has an idea how to get the right resolution (X3100, SL10.6.3)?

Best regards,

Michael

Argh, computer's down. I don't know why, but my OS-X install got corrupted as I was working on the DSDT. The patched DSDT originally worked as well as the previous DSDT, but shutdown did not work. Now OS-X won't start, but single user mode works. It just shows a blue screen on the monitor with a corrupted mouse cursor, and the load sign appears and disappears again and again (BSOD?). I don't think the issue is the DSDT because it originally booted fine, and replacing the DSDT with the one I was originally using or using SuperHai's boot CD produces the same result. Anyways, it'll probably be a while for the new M1330 DSDT. I'll probably wind up replacing my OS-X install with a backup.

Immo

Hello Everyone!

I'm looking for a DSDT.aml for my laptop with all the bells and whistles to get c-state working and the system working smooth as ever. Has anyone make a DSDT for T7700? If not I am willing to pay someone to make me a DSDT.aml for my system. Anyone interested?

Sincerely,

Javier C.

Hello Everyone!

I'm looking for a DSDT.aml for my laptop with all the bells and whistles to get c-state working and the system working smooth as ever. Has anyone make a DSDT for T7700? If not I am willing to pay someone to make me a DSDT.aml for my system. Anyone interested?

Sincerely,

Javier C.

Hi Javier,

No one has C-States working for the M1530/M1330 yet. Believe me everyone here will know when it is. But Vanilla Speedstep is working with my generic DSDT.aml, you can find it on the first page, or the updated version a few posts up. This does not take into account your specific CPU, just loads the default SSDT tables you would normally use to get SpeedStep working. It also has fixes in place for the IOATAFamily issue and getting the DVDrom working, USB issues and now Shutdown.

The only advantage you will have with a CPU specific DSDT.aml at the moment is the ability to undervolt your CPU, once C-States are cracked we'll probably be setting up more CPU specific DSDT's...

Thanks,

Brett

Hi there,

I recently dug out my M1530 Snow Leopard install from last year after checking back here and seeing people have sleep working, which was something I really wanted.

I have been reading through these various threads and even tried generating my own DSDT, but sleep does not seem to work. Click sleep and it just goes black with the blue power light on.

Is it as simple as downloading the generic M1530 DSDT and selecting it from Chameleon at boot to test? If so I don't think it works on my set-up/install??

Hi All

Bretts latest generic DSDT a few posts up works great on and XPS 1530.

The only problem i have is when the laptop wakes from sleep the camera displays a black image in photobooth.

I would also love to get the touchpad working properly, ive used the modified pref pane and it detects my touchpad, but i have to untick and tick the click box each time to get clicking working, also scrolling doesnt work for me.

does anyone have a voodoops2 kext for snow leopard which they have managed to get working?

audio works greatt with voodooHDA except that the internal mic is very soft, any suggestions?

thanks in advance

PS if you need any help setting up sl on XPS 1530 PM me and ill try assist you

Hi, thanks for your replies...

I have downloaded the DSDT.aml file, but I am not sure what to do with it? Do I follow on from step three on the front of this thread or can this be compiled or something as is to try out? If so can someone just mention what I need to run?

Thanks

so now that shutdown is working

i've been trying to get deep sleep (hibernate) to work

i have ubuntu installed on another partition

and grub2 is able to wake my pc from deep sleep

(but grub2 doesnt load my smbios.plist)

however chameleon just hangs at loading SystemVersion.plist and stays there

whenever i try to wake and so I cannot get it working.

Anyone played around much with this?

Hi, thanks for your replies...

I have downloaded the DSDT.aml file, but I am not sure what to do with it? Do I follow on from step three on the front of this thread or can this be compiled or something as is to try out? If so can someone just mention what I need to run?

Thanks

Just drop it wherever you have Chameleon installed, usually /Extra.

Cheers,

Brett

Hi All

Bretts latest generic DSDT a few posts up works great on and XPS 1530.

The only problem i have is when the laptop wakes from sleep the camera displays a black image in photobooth.

I would also love to get the touchpad working properly, ive used the modified pref pane and it detects my touchpad, but i have to untick and tick the click box each time to get clicking working, also scrolling doesnt work for me.

does anyone have a voodoops2 kext for snow leopard which they have managed to get working?

audio works greatt with voodooHDA except that the internal mic is very soft, any suggestions?

thanks in advance

PS if you need any help setting up sl on XPS 1530 PM me and ill try assist you

I use the voodoo kexts from superhai's boot cd linked on the first post. Trackpad works for me.

Did you install the voodohda propane? The are some settings that might help with the mic volume.

I use the voodoo kexts from superhai's boot cd linked on the first post. Trackpad works for me.

Did you install the voodohda propane? The are some settings that might help with the mic volume.

Hi Brett, whoops I got confused with the DSL thing I was working with the other night.

That seems to work fine, I now have shutdown working for the first time!!!!

Still no sleep though? If I shut the lid or let it sleep through power saving the screen goes off, but the blue blue-tooth light stays on and I can hear it has not gone off?

When we talk about sleep is that like when I shut the lid on Windows and it kinda shuts off/hibernates?

Thanks again for you help and hard work on this!