[GUIDE] Making a DSDT.aml for Dell XPS M1330, XPS M1530, and XPS M1730

immo

2,030 posts in this topic

Ok right now I have El Capitan success instalation on the XPS-M1330 but here are some glitches:

Success boot with Clover, hang with Chameleon Enoch r2773

Audio: having stutters, since VoodooHDA never worked for me I used my DSDT.aml patched to work with AppleHDA.kext 1.74a1

Sleep: work until wake because reboots.

Since I got success boot with Clover I give it a try to my Mavericks but I have audio stuttering as well  :(

Also I tried Chameleon Enoch r2773 on my Mavericks but WiFi and Bluetooth aren’t recognized or something else that prevents them to work.

Glad you've had some success with M1330. I haven't yet :(

What DSDT did you use? Did you require any patches beyond what's on the first post? I get "Still waiting on root device" while trying to boot El Capitan from the flash drive. I suspect I need patching to fix USB.

Also, what graphics does your M1330 have? I COULD NOT get my NVidia 8400M GS graphics recognized with Clover at all. I tried various graphics flags, specifying NVCAP, putting the NVCAP in the DSDT, etc.

Also, did you use the vanilla USB method, installing from the application, or the traditional Hackintosh USB key? So far I've only got anywhere with the Hackintosh method. I can start booting using the other methods with Clover, but like I said above, no video.

Immo

What DSDT did you use? Did you require any patches beyond what's on the first post? I get "Still waiting on root device" while trying to boot El Capitan from the flash drive. I suspect I need patching to fix USB.

Also, what graphics does your M1330 have? I COULD NOT get my NVidia 8400M GS graphics recognized with Clover at all. I tried various graphics flags, specifying NVCAP, putting the NVCAP in the DSDT, etc.

Also, did you use the vanilla USB method, installing from the application, or the traditional Hackintosh USB key? So far I've only got anywhere with the Hackintosh method. I can start booting using the other methods with Clover, but like I said above, no video.

Immo

I have two DSDT files, one with the HDEF mod and the other without.

These are my Clover files:

I used the Vanilla USB Method posted by fusion71au some posts above.

BTW, I had no sleep problems, my mistake, I never put hibernatemode 0 so I thought sleep causes reboot when it shutdowns, I notice the “(hibernated)” text on then Clover boot screen, now I have better sleep than Mavericks because on Mavs if I use share screen sleep broke somehow, sometime no sleep at all and sometimes when I wake the screen never turn on (black) but also no respond of keyboard, mouse, network.

Right now I am installing Homebrew and trying my other apps

dsdt-hda3.aml.zip

DSDT.aml.zip

config.plist.zip

• Like 2

Immo

@immo,

Try with MBP 5,1 SMBIOS and the attached FakeSMC.kext v3.3.1 which injects extra USB ports for the MBP 5,1 SMBIOS  (copying the native port injection template of MBP 4,1).  Since you have EHCI and EHC2 in your dsdts from the first post, I have modified the info.plist inside the FakeSMC so that the IONameMatch is the same...

post-846696-0-50750900-1443992625_thumb.png

More detail about USB fixes in El Capitan is in @pokenguyen's thread.  Note - he uses a "Dummy Kext" instead of FakeSMC to inject the properties and achieve the same result.

@macgirl,

I noticed that you have KernelBooter_kexts=Yes in your Clover config.plist boot arguments section.

That flag is only for Chameleon Enoch v2760+ and is not necessary :).

FakeSMC.kext.zip

• Like 2

@macgirl,

I noticed that you have KernelBooter_kexts=Yes in your Clover config.plist boot arguments section.

That flag is only for Chameleon Enoch v2760+ and is not necessary :).

Thanks, I’ll delete that entry  :)

One other thing that I can’t achieve is to disable rootless, I tried with rootless=0 on boot arguments and other sugestions but nothing  :(

@macgirl,

The rootless=0 boot flag is now obsolete - deprecated in El Capitan from DB4 onwards.

On real Macs and systems with functioning NVRAM, the "Apple way" to disable SIP is through booting into the El Capitan Recovery HD and running csrutil disable in terminal.  For our hacks and systems which don't have real NVRAM, the only way to disable System Integrity Protection aka "rootless security" is through boot loader plist settings:

Clover set CsrActiveConfig in RtVariables eg

<key>RtVariables</key>
    <dict>
        <key>BooterConfig</key>
        <string>0x28</string>
        <key>CsrActiveConfig</key>
        <string>0x3</string>
    </dict>

See @blackosx's post#7796 for the hex values to use to disable the various SIP levels.  In summary

• 0x67 completely disables SIP ---> default if no value is specified in the config.plist
  • 0x3 allows unsigned kexts and unrestricted file system access
  • 0x1 just allows unsigned kexts (leaves the rest of SIP intact)
  • 0x0 SIP fully enabled

In practice, for security reasons, you should leave SIP fully enabled (0x0), unless you need to install/patch kexts in /L/E or /S/L/E, or rebuild caches/prelinkedkernel eg during OSX system updates (0x3 is good for this).  After the desired changes are made and kext caches rebuilt, you can change the value back to 0x0.  Note if all your kexts are injected from /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.11 or /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other, then you can leave CsrActiveConfig at 0x0 at all times :).

Chameleon Enoch set CsrActiveConfig in org.chameleon.Boot.plist eg

<key>CsrActiveConfig</key>

<string>3</string>

Note for chameleon, a decimal (instead of hex value) should be used to specify CsrActiveConfig in the o.c.b.plist.

• Like 4

I have two DSDT files, one with the HDEF mod and the other without.

These are my Clover files:

@immo,

Try with MBP 5,1 SMBIOS and the attached FakeSMC.kext v3.3.1 which injects extra USB ports for the MBP 5,1 SMBIOS  (copying the native port injection template of MBP 4,1).  Since you have EHCI and EHC2 in your dsdts from the first post, I have modified the info.plist inside the FakeSMC so that the IONameMatch is the same...

More detail about USB fixes in El Capitan is in @pokenguyen's thread.  Note - he uses a "Dummy Kext" instead of FakeSMC to inject the properties and achieve the same result.

@fusion71au, @macgirl thank you both! Installed El Capitan though the installer app, just as I would on a real Mac. I am now a member of the Clover fan club. The USB fix in the FakeSMC @fusion71au posted was definately necessary. I also needed @macgirl's DSDT (with no HDEF patch) to make it work. I'd like to figure out what is different between that DSDT and the old first post one that I was using. I haven't had time to confirm that everything is working, and won't until later tonight.

Immo

UPDATE

Seems everything is working as well. Speed stepping, sleep, etc all working. I had to do the AppleGraphicsPowerManagement patch again to get GPU stepping working. Clover did not detect my bus frequency properly, so I specified it in manually the Clover config.plist. I haven't spent a lot of time with it, but so far seems to be a solid upgrade. I like it when Apple hits the pause button on features and refines performance and stability. And of the new features, I think SIP is great, and the mouse finding is pretty useful too.

UPDATE 2

I decompiled mine and @macgirl's DSDTs and did a diff with the one I was previously using, and they are the same... Then I did shasums on the compiled .asl files, and again the same! Turns out the DSDT that @macgirl is using is actually the same one I've been using for over three years, the one on the first post dated September 29, 2012 [blush]. I guess it was problems with Clover config.plist and the FakeSMC version I was using that was giving me issues.

• Like 3

@fusion71au

Is there a way to make Chameleon Enoch to recognize iCloud/iChat account?

I having problems booting Windows XP and Windows 10 with Clover since my drive is MBR partitioned  :(

@macgirl,

AFAIK, NVRAM under Chameleon is still broken so things like iMessage/Facetime/iCloud won't work until the developers of the FileNVRAM module update it for Yosemite/El Capitan....

Personally, I would stick with Clover.  As a work-around, you can use the legacy Windows bootloader to load XP and Windows 10 and chainload to Clover on your HFS partition using boot0md ---> load OSX:  see post#2 in my guide Using EasyBCD to Chainload Chameleon or Clover from the legacy Windows Bootloader.

The best solution for compatibility with Clover is to convert the MBR install of Windows 10 to UEFI (see post#359 in the AIO guides)---> load bootmgfw.efi directly from Clover ---> start Windows 10, but this can't be done with XP which is legacy only...

• Like 1

Well… I found "somewhere else" a MOD to FileNVRAM that works with Yosemite and it is working for me with Chameleon Enoch on El Capitan

this mod has also FileNVRAM.kext

post-123-0-26115000-1444095685_thumb.jpg
  • Like 4

Why my external USB drive show icons as internal drives, but only when are connected on the right USB port?

When the disk is connected on the left USB port icons are orange.

config.plist has the external icons patch entry.

@macgirl,

Try replacing your FakeSMC with the attached FakeSMC.kext.  I have edited the info.plist so the UsbConnector number for USB ports 1-3 have been set to 3 (normal usb socket) instead of 255 (internal connector).  I am also assuming you have EHCI and EHC2 in your dsdt like @immo....

Not really, I edited my DSDT file to change USBx to UHCx+1 and EHCI to EHC1

Thanks.

EDIT: Also I using the same FakeSMC with Mavericks and no problem with icons

EDIT 2: I edited the FakeSMC on El Capitan and set ports 1-3 to 3, now I don’t have internal drive icons on the right or left port. THANKS  :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I’m very disappointed with EC Disk Utility, so I am using iPartition but Disk Utility Patched is great news  :)

Also updated to 10.11.1 without any issues, I hoped the update fix the laggy UI but still very slow  :(

Here is a screenshot of XBench results, the big difference is in all graphics benchmarks:

post-123-0-54296500-1445531866_thumb.png

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I didn’t notice before but the clock is running very fast,

In a minute there are 3 more seconds on my XPS-M1330

I found some posts about fix to the RTC in Clover but nothing works.

@macgirl,

Maybe your BusSpeedkHz value still needs tweaking? From the Clover wiki "If it is slightly incorrect, clock issues may arise and the system will behave in a strange way."

@immo has posted a useful guide on how to calculate the correct value - from post#1:

"Note on mine and other machines you have to manually set the BusSpeedkHz parameter in config.plist as it detects double what it should be, causing animations to go half speed and sound to stutter.  I got the number to use by taking my top speed divided by the multiplier when using Chameleon as reported by HWMonitor and then multiply by 1000 (2388/12*1000=199000)."

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys

Finally I have my osx ....thx for ur help

Now I have a problem

My audio is bad

I read in the first post how to change busspeed but in my config.plist (under EFI/EFI/Clover) there is nothing about my cpu.....I took EFI partition of USB.......right ??

some helps ?

p.s. sorry my bad english

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
	<key>SMBIOS</key>
	<dict>
		<key>ProductName</key>
		<string>MacBookPro5,1</string>
	</dict>
	<key>ACPI</key>
	<dict>
		<key>DSDT</key>
		<dict>
			<key>Debug</key>
			<false/>
			<key>ReuseFFFF</key>
			<false/>
			<key>Name</key>
			<string>DSDT.aml</string>
			<key>DropOEM_DSM</key>
			<false/>
		</dict>
		<key>SSDT</key>
		<dict>
			<key>DropOem</key>
			<false/>
			<key>Generate</key>
			<dict>
				<key>PStates</key>
				<true/>
				<key>CStates</key>
				<true/>
			</dict>
		</dict>
	</dict>
	<key>Boot</key>
	<dict>
		<key>Arguments</key>
		<string>kext-dev-mode=1</string>
		<key>Log</key>
		<false/>
		<key>Timeout</key>
		<integer>5</integer>
		<key>XMPDetection</key>
		<string>Yes</string>
		<key>Secure</key>
		<false/>
	</dict>
	<key>Devices</key>
	<dict>
		<key>USB</key>
		<dict>
			<key>Inject</key>
			<false/>
			<key>FixOwnership</key>
			<false/>
		</dict>
		<key>UseIntelHDMI</key>
		<false/>
	</dict>
	<key>GUI</key>
	<dict>
		<key>ScreenResolution</key>
		<string>1440x900</string>
		<key>Theme</key>
		<string>BGM</string>
		<key>Mouse</key>
		<dict>
			<key>Enabled</key>
			<false/>
		</dict>
		<key>Scan</key>
		<dict>
			<key>Entries</key>
			<true/>
			<key>Tool</key>
			<false/>
			<key>Legacy</key>
			<false/>
		</dict>
		<key>Custom</key>
		<dict>
			<key>Entries</key>
			<array>
				<dict>
					<key>FullTitle</key>
					<string>UEFI Internal</string>
					<key>Hidden</key>
					<false/>
					<key>Disabled</key>
					<true/>
					<key>Type</key>
					<string>Other</string>
				</dict>
			</array>
		</dict>
	</dict>
	<key>Graphics</key>
	<dict>
		<key>Inject</key>
		<dict>
			<key>Intel</key>
			<false/>
			<key>ATI</key>
			<false/>
			<key>NVidia</key>
			<true/>
		</dict>
	</dict>
	<key>KernelAndKextPatches</key>
	<dict>
		<key>AppleRTC</key>
		<true/>
		<key>KextsToPatch</key>
		<array>
			<dict>
				<key>Name</key>
				<string>AppleAHCIPort</string>
				<key>Find</key>
				<data>
				RXh0ZXJuYWw=
				</data>
				<key>Replace</key>
				<data>
				SW50ZXJuYWw=
				</data>
				<key>Comment</key>
				<string>External icons patch</string>
			</dict>
		</array>
	</dict>
	<key>SystemParameters</key>
	<dict>
		<key>InjectKexts</key>
		<string>Detect</string>
	</dict>
</dict>
</plist>

@macgirl,

Maybe your BusSpeedkHz value still needs tweaking? From the Clover wiki "If it is slightly incorrect, clock issues may arise and the system will behave in a strange way."

@immo has posted a useful guide on how to calculate the correct value - from post#1:

"Note on mine and other machines you have to manually set the BusSpeedkHz parameter in config.plist as it detects double what it should be, causing animations to go half speed and sound to stutter.  I got the number to use by taking my top speed divided by the multiplier when using Chameleon as reported by HWMonitor and then multiply by 1000 (2388/12*1000=199000)."

I tested several speeds, I ended with 199940 as bus speed and 1795 as cpu speed, even with that I got seconds of difference after days but I use a daemon to adjust the clock with ntpdate.

I tested several speeds, I ended with 199940 as bus speed and 1795 as cpu speed, even with that I got seconds of difference after days but I use a daemon to adjust the clock with ntpdate.

In my config.plsit posted before where have I to put the busspeed value ? I don't see the xml tag of cpu

I have xps m1730

Anyone have any luck using ##### to install El Capitan on the M1530?  Some instructions would be fantastic.  I've yet to get the Installer to boot at all (half the time I just get a black screen after Clover in verbose)

I currently have a hacked together Niresh Yosemite running on the M1530 but it randomly locks the entire machine up and I can't seem to find any reason why it's happening or a solution.

Any help would be fantastic!

EDIT: I didn't know that that other software isn't allowed here otherwise I wouldn't have asked.  How would I go about making a bootable USB for my M1530?  I don't have a spare drive that I can just split and my only working Mac is this one.  

EDIT2: Took my battery out of my laptop just for giggles to see if it would help anything and now it hasn't crashed in quite a while.  Anyone have any ideas what would cause this? 

EDIT3: Nope still crashed just took longer this time. Sigh I'd love to see my old laptop see some new life.

EDIT4: Yatta!!! I was able to create a USB from that one website and then used fusion's patched DSDT and FakeSMC to get me up and running beautifully.  I just had to keep digging.  Now I have a mostly working Macbook!!!!  Thank you so much for all this fantastic work!  Could anyone explain how I would go about making a plain USB without TonyMac's software?

• 3 weeks later...

I did the update to 10.11.2, also Security Update to Mavericks, in both cases I lost Sound, my modded AppleHDA.kext no longer loads in neither  :(

As always VoodooHDA only gives sound on the headphones jacks but nothing on the speakers.

kextcache shows this:

WARNING - Invalid signature -67030 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA2A for kext "/System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleHDAHardwareConfigDriver.kext"
WARNING - Invalid signature -67061 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0B for kext "/System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleHDAController.kext"
WARNING - Invalid signature -67061 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0B for kext "/System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext"

Anyone have any luck using ##### to install El Capitan on the M1530?  Some instructions would be fantastic.  I've yet to get the Installer to boot at all (half the time I just get a black screen after Clover in verbose)

Who cares? Please read the Rules about tonymac