[GUIDE] Making a DSDT.aml for Dell XPS M1330, XPS M1530, and XPS M1730

immo

2,030 posts in this topic

I hope u see good the video, i recorded on low resolution for low size:

http://we.tl/gIusPKyHTT <-- Wtf?? XD sorry, seriusly bad video

http://we.tl/vFx40mEPLX <-- Download this

If it dont see good, tell me and i record another video with right resolution.

PD: CineBench R15 gave me 3.3fps as score :P:hysterical:

EDIT1: Is there any interest on build my own DSDT? I mean, i have build right now my DSDT for my new T9300, but i see the same improvement than DSDT from Immo. I think that Immo DSDT is really good for me, and there is no diference with my own DSDT. What do u think?

immo,  the way I’ve patched - seem to get three states switching perfectly (though I’ve given only two states  :whistle: ).  Can you try the same way ? Btw I don’t see the switching in the HW Sensor’s though, curious to see laostia’s got it working. Let us know when you’ve got it .

Actually your patch was the one I tried first. I basically copy-pasted your patch (changing the Device ID of course) and as another trial Iaostia's patch. I retried them today just to make sure I didn't make an error. I also tried my own variations.

One of my variations had no states defined (thinking that perhaps they weren't doing much if you defined two but got three), and still get the same two states but with no frequency changing as according to HWMonitor. I guess you have three states because you have a significantly better video chip.

I think I'm going to give up on this for now until I install Yosemite. It could be that I've botched my system somehow, and maybe a new OS might give me the fresh start I need. I'll likely wait till the first or second point release before I upgrade (as I usually do).

Thanks for the help,

Immo

EDIT1: Is there any interest on build my own DSDT? I mean, i have build right now my DSDT for my new T9300, but i see the same improvement than DSDT from Immo. I think that Immo DSDT is really good for me, and there is no diference with my own DSDT. What do u think?

I've been using it since even before I posted it back more than two years ago and it's worked well for me! I've tried some of the DSDT patches done to make M1530 play better with Mavericks and my M1330 wouldn't event boot with them, so I've kept going back to the September 2012 one.

Also, I don't believe there is much value in having the CPU specific SSDT tables in your DSDT unless you want to do some overclocking (not at all advisable with M1330) or underclocking. Going with the generic DSDT allows OS-X to use the P-state switching built into the computer bios.

My two cents.

P.S. I noticed in your SIG today your computer doesn't recover from sleep? Have you set your hibernate mode to zero? Mentioning it just in case.

sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0

Immo

• Like 4

I think I'm going to give up on this for now until I install Yosemite. It could be that I've botched my system somehow, and maybe a new OS might give me the fresh start I need. I'll likely wait till the first or second point release before I upgrade (as I usually do).

OK so I did a Cinebench OpenGL test as requested by Iaosta, got a terrible OpenGL score (1.54), decided to try it with the NVidia web drivers, got 3.01, AND GPU POWER STATE SWITCHING STARTED TO WORK! It won't work with OS-X drivers, but suddenly it works with NVidia web drivers! What the hell?!?!

EDIT: It wasn't the NVidia web drivers. It was my EXTERNAL MONITOR. It will not clock down if an external monitor is attached. I disconnected it to do the benchmark. This is something I tested before, however at that time something else must also have been wrong... Oh well works now.

Immo
  • Like 1

OK so I did a Cinebench OpenGL test as requested by Iaosta, got a terrible OpenGL score (1.54), decided to try it with the NVidia web drivers, got 3.01, AND GPU POWER STATE SWITCHING STARTED TO WORK! It won't work with OS-X drivers, but suddenly it works with NVidia web drivers! What the hell?!?!

EDIT: It wasn't the NVidia web drivers. It was my EXTERNAL MONITOR. It will not clock down if an external monitor is attached. I disconnected it to do the benchmark. This is something I tested before, however at that time something else must also have been wrong... Oh well works now.

Immo

Immo, But not many including me have external monitor connected to our laptop and doesn’t have the clock frequency changes reflected (or not changing).  So you think Nvidia Web driver makes the difference ?

Update : Yes it does for performance but not for switching GPU states, what really matters is the Power. I’ll detail in the next post.

NVIDIA AGPM Switching states depends upon the power source - Battery/Power Adapter ?

In short AGPM switching occurs only in Battery and not in Power Adapter  :|

GPU on Battery switches between 168,100 (Core/Memory) - 275,199 - 475,399 .

post-269203-0-37784300-1414669949_thumb.png

post-269203-0-44505300-1414669977_thumb.png

Cinebench 11.5 reaches upto 9.06 FPS :dev: .

GPU on Power Adapter stays constant at 275,199.

post-269203-0-87220700-1414670050_thumb.png

Cinebench 11.5 reaches upto 4.74 FPS.

post-269203-0-71534400-1414670066_thumb.png

AGPM switching to lower state on Battery makes sense, in fact the temperature are lower at lowest state using Nvidia Web Driver (343.01.01f03) , but not switching on Power Adapter is totally weird  like is this the case with Actual Mac’s too ? In that case why wouldn’t some one use their GPU at maximum performance at full power !  Well if it only concerns our 8xxx M cards, it might be because apple mandatorily stopped our cards from using maximum power due to bad die bug ; yet again then why it switches in Battery  :wallbash:

Btw, latest Nvidia web drivers for Yosemite (343.01.01f03) are located here - 

http://us.download.nvidia.com/Mac/Quadro_Certified/343.01.01f03/WebDriver-343.01.01f03.pkg

At the time of writing this version wasn’t listed on Nvidia’s site. I got through update notification dist.

NVIDIA AGPM Switching states depends upon the power source - Battery/Power Adapter

In short AGPM switching occurs only in Battery and not in Power Adapter  :|

GPU on Battery switches between 168,100 (Core/Memory) - 275,199 - 475,399 .

attachicon.gifGPU-On-Battery.png

attachicon.gifGPU-On-Battery-Cinebench.png

Cinebench 11.5 reaches upto 9.06 FPS :dev: .

GPU on Power Adapter stays constant at 275,199.

attachicon.gifGPU-OnPower.png

Cinebench 11.5 reaches upto 4.74 FPS.

attachicon.gifCinebench-Benchmark-11-5.png

AGPM switching to lower state on Battery makes sense, in fact the temperature are lower at lowest state using Nvidia Web Driver (343.01.01f03) , but not switching on Power Adapter is totally weird  like is this the case with Actual Mac’s too ? In that case why wouldn’t some one use their GPU at maximum performance at full power !  Well if it only concerns our 8xxx M cards, it might be because apple mandatorily stopped our cards from using maximum power due to bad die bug ; yet again then why it switches in Battery  :wallbash:

Btw, latest Nvidia web drivers for Yosemite (343.01.01f03) are located here - 

http://us.download.nvidia.com/Mac/Quadro_Certified/343.01.01f03/WebDriver-343.01.01f03.pkg

At the time of writing this version wasn’t listed on Nvidia’s site. I got through update notification dist.

Interesting... Mine actually does switch to lower states when the monitor is not connected but the power source is. If you think about it, so does the CPU, so why not the GPU? It's always good to preserve power and limit heat when you can right? I'm going to try it out with no power attached to see if it performs different later today.

EDIT Just thinking about this more... Perhaps when you hit a certain number of pixels maximum frequency is mandated, unless power is taken away. What is the resolution of your notebook screen? My little 13 incher is only 1280x800. My external monitor is 1680x1050.

Immo

• Like 1

Interesting... Mine actually does switch to lower states when the monitor is not connected but the power source is. If you think about it, so does the CPU, so why not the GPU? It's always good to preserve power and limit heat when you can right? I'm going to try it out with no power attached to see if it performs different later today.

EDIT Just thinking about this more... Perhaps when you hit a certain number of pixels maximum frequency is mandated, unless power is taken away. What is the resolution of your notebook screen? My little 13 incher is only 1280x800. My external monitor is 1680x1050.

Immo

Immo, added a 'question mark’ as it should have been :P . Btw,if  in your case  switching happening when on power too seems logical . But not allowing higher  states on power  is what makes me curious. My 15.6” is 1280x800 as well, but my GPU is 8600GTM .

Please try with the lasted Nvidia web drivers and with my Patched AGPM attached few posts before. 

Immo, added a 'question mark’ as it should have been :P . Btw,if  in your case  switching happening when on power too seems logical . But not allowing higher  states on power  is what makes me curious. My 15.6” is 1280x800 as well, but my GPU is 8600GTM .

Please try with the lasted Nvidia web drivers and with my Patched AGPM attached few posts before. 

I misunderstood and thought you had the reverse problem! So basically you get higher clocks on battery!

There was something I saw with your patch when I tested it a few days ago. The GPU never went to the higher state. I had the same issue with Cinebench - a significantly lower score around 1.8. I went to Iaostia's patch (which I believe matches the original MacBookPro5,1 entry), and suddenly switching worked as expected. High under load (e.g. during Cinebench benchmark) and low when idle on power (with no monitor). So far all my testing has been with power. I suggest you try Iaostia's patch (with your device ID).

Immo

• Like 1

Tested graphics power stepping with battery. It actually drops a level lower with no external monitor attached. With monitor attached it stays locked at the highest speed even on battery. Here's a summary:

Condition                        Core/Shaders (MHz)

Ext Monitor or Load          400/800

Cord no Monitor Idle         275/500

Battery no Monitor Idle     168/377

Immo

• Like 1

Tested graphics power stepping with battery. It actually drops a level lower with no external monitor attached. With monitor attached it stays locked at the highest speed even on battery. Here's a summary:

Condition                        Core/Shaders (MHz)

Ext Monitor or Load          400/800

Cord no Monitor Idle         275/500

Battery no Monitor Idle     168/377

Immo

@immo , you are absolutely right. The state switching were weird due to my patch for limiting it to two states , which I did on purpose in Mavericks to throttle only at heavy load in order to prevent our card from killing itself.

But seems the best option in Yosemite seems to to just add our device ID under MacBookPro 5,1 and let it do it’s job. The temperature is in fact better this way.

So guys don’t use my earlier AppleGraphicsPowerManagement patching technique, stick with what @immo and @laostia suggested.

EVening, first off thanks for all the help and support in this forum, I have learned alot from reading your posts.

I am stumped with what to do next I have a XPS 1530, it came stock with a BCM4312 it was not recognized so I tried rebranding to 106b:004e and still nothing.

I also have a second card from an older 2007-08 mac its an Atheros AR5418 168c:0024 which is listed in the stock kexts, but I still cannot select or even turn on my wifi.  

Any ideas would be appreciated from DSDT edits to Clover plist changes.

Thanks in advance

Hey guys, 

Haven't been around in a bit, got a new SSD so I can have an extra HDD to update my M1330 (T8100, nVidia graphics, Broadcom 4321) from Mavericks to Yosemite. Going to attempt the Clover method, since I want to play nice with Windows 7 (also attempting a dual-boot as well). Will post updates hopefully today/tonight on progress.

*EDIT 1* Followed fusion71au's guide HERE and got to install screen and installing over my existing install, more updates to come.

*EDIT 2* Working great, just need the battery manager. I need to update my VoodooAudio to 2.8.6 as well. Clover takes a bit longer to start up then Chameleon.

• Like 1

well, I'm on yosemite..What do you think is the betterAGPM kexts and fakesmc to have states working, I've patched the yosemite one and seems to work but in verbose I read bug in process ...I read this thing every time I modify a plist...what is? I've also patched bluetooth to have on/off working from the bar...I've always hated bluetooth couldn't switch..I've patched yosemite one with correct id for our device.

this is

And I don't understand what is the Iasta Patch...is a different fakesmc? is on AGPM ? can you upload the correct kext and an example of how to patch like IndianDragon does? Thanks a lot

IOBluetoothFamily.kext.zip

when I mod AGPM I see a lot of this message in verbose, always identical

11/11/14 12:14:34,000 kernel[0]: BUG in process suhelperd[175]: over-released legacy external boost assertions (1 total, 1 external, 0 legacy-external)

when I mod IOBluetoothfamily very less...but then bluetooth works with on/off switch....what it means?

In HWmonitor I see this  :no: with original AGPM

post-297597-0-86204600-1415705608_thumb.jpg

Hi Guys and Gals,

It's been a while since I've posted, but I've been avidly reading the digest of your posts in my email as rapidly as they come in, and it makes me want to double check my nVidia drivers to see which ones I'm using.  If I can get the GPU switching to happen I'll be happy. EDIT: I checked, and I can't use the web drivers with my 8600M GT, but my GPU seems to be switching.  More on that later.

However, this post is not so much related to that.  I've been closely watching the Yosemite updates, and i remember originally there was an update that had handoff in the general settings.  I just finished installing the last GM candidate (3.0) and that setting is nowhere to be found.  I did a little research, and according to what I've read, the bluetooth chip I'm using should be able to support handoff (Broadcomm, BT4.0, etc.)  Under System Information > Hardware > Bluetooth if LMP Version is 0x6 or higher, we should be good.  My LMP Version is 0x6, but higher up on the list of parameters is another that says Handoff Supported: No.  I'm using an IOGear GBU521 (uses a Broadcomm chip), which absolutely supports BT 4.0, so the only thing I can think of is it must be something about the way the hardware is being reported to OSX.  Any thoughts here?  Maybe a way to use Clover to tell OS X that handoff actually is supported?  Or perhaps it needs a patched kext.  Bluetooth in general worked pretty well (with the exception of the odd missing gestures from my Magic Trackpad I mentioned a few posts back), but maybe there's just something about that device that OS X doesn't like.  Anyway, I thought I'd throw this against the wall and see what sticks.

Here's the info from System Information:

Bluetooth Low Energy Supported: Yes

Handoff Supported: No

Instant Hotspot Supported: No

Manufacturer: Broadcom

Transport: USB

Chipset: 20702A3

Firmware Version: v14 c4096

Bluetooth Power: On

Discoverable: On

Connectable: Yes

Auto Seek Pointing: On

Remote wake: On

Vendor ID: 0x0A5C

Product ID: 0x21E8

HCI Version: 0x6

HCI Revision: 0x1000

LMP Version: 0x6

LMP Subversion: 0x220E

Device Type (Major): Computer

Device Type (Complete): Mac Portable

Composite Class Of Device: 0x38010C

Device Class (Major): 0x01

Device Class (Minor): 0x03

Service Class: 0x1C0

Hi Guys and Gals,

It's been a while since I've posted, but I've been avidly reading the digest of your posts in my email as rapidly as they come in, and it makes me want to double check my nVidia drivers to see which ones I'm using.  If I can get the GPU switching to happen I'll be happy. EDIT: I checked, and I can't use the web drivers with my 8600M GT, but my GPU seems to be switching.  More on that later.

However, this post is not so much related to that.  I've been closely watching the Yosemite updates, and i remember originally there was an update that had handoff in the general settings.  I just finished installing the last GM candidate (3.0) and that setting is nowhere to be found.  I did a little research, and according to what I've read, the bluetooth chip I'm using should be able to support handoff (Broadcomm, BT4.0, etc.)  Under System Information > Hardware > Bluetooth if LMP Version is 0x6 or higher, we should be good.  My LMP Version is 0x6, but higher up on the list of parameters is another that says Handoff Supported: No.  I'm using an IOGear GBU521 (uses a Broadcomm chip), which absolutely supports BT 4.0, so the only thing I can think of is it must be something about the way the hardware is being reported to OSX.  Any thoughts here?  Maybe a way to use Clover to tell OS X that handoff actually is supported?  Or perhaps it needs a patched kext.  Bluetooth in general worked pretty well (with the exception of the odd missing gestures from my Magic Trackpad I mentioned a few posts back), but maybe there's just something about that device that OS X doesn't like.  Anyway, I thought I'd throw this against the wall and see what sticks.

Pardon my ignorance, but based on what I've read on this subject thus war, I was under the impression that the new OS X 10.10 Handoff feature is supported exclusively on the internal/builtin bluetooth 4.0 devices.

Pardon my ignorance, but based on what I've read on this subject thus war, I was under the impression that the new OS X 10.10 Handoff feature is supported exclusively on the internal/builtin bluetooth 4.0 devices.

There are other people with genuine unsupported MacBooks who use this exact model of dongle to enable the handoff feature.  If it was intended to be internal only... well, I don't know how they could get it to work if that was the case.

I've also been pondering why my gestures always disappear at the same time as the Ricoh card reader.  I'm not sure how they are connected, but they always disappear and reappear at the same time.  I wonder if it has something to do with USB transport.  Any thoughts on that would be welcome too.

I'm using an IOGear GBU521 (uses a Broadcomm chip), which absolutely supports BT 4.0, so the only thing I can think of is it must be something about the way the hardware is being reported to OSX.  Any thoughts here?  Maybe a way to use Clover to tell OS X that handoff actually is supported?  Or perhaps it needs a patched kext.  Bluetooth in general worked pretty well (with the exception of the odd missing gestures from my Magic Trackpad I mentioned a few posts back), but maybe there's just something about that device that OS X doesn't like.  Anyway, I thought I'd throw this against the wall and see what sticks.

@lulighttec,

It seems someone has patched IOBluetoothFamily.kext to enable Handoff for some BT4 USB dongles - see the following threads ...

Patch enabling Handoff for non Apple BT4 devices.

AirDrop/Continuity/Hands Off Fix How-to

From the looks of it, success is very hit and miss and depends on the brand of USB dongle and also SMBIOS used.  Unfortunately, @luki1979 mentions "no reported success with sticks like Gmyle, IOgear that use 20702A3 firm.v14 c4096".  Edit 11/20/2014 - @Hakimi had success with IOGear GBU521W6 and BCM94322HM8L and a new Clover patch :).

Not sure about your gestures/card reader/USB issue...have you looked at your console logs for any clues?

with original AGP and with utility HWmonitor SMC 1.2.1 I see 3 states working without modification. smbios plist 5,1

About Lulighttec if you want to install Nvidia drivers you had to open the installer with Flat Package Editor (is an Utility) , find the file "Distribution", drag and drop it on your desktop (or where you want) open it with text editor and delete the first line starting with "if validate...." only the first..this is to bypass the compatibility check, so you can install it...than reboot...then go into nvidia panel you will find into system preferences, and select if to use nvidia drivers or apple drivers.  In my case G-state worked also before to install it.

• Like 1

10.10.1 AppleGraphicsPowerManagement Update .

Added  device id by replacing GFX0, removed IGPU section.

Two states when on power, Three states when on battery as as experimented and concluded few posts above by me and immo.

I'm using latest FakeSMC of Kozlek (HW Sensors) Branch.

and latest Nvidia web driver - http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/80070/en-us

Note two graphics control kexts loaded are  :

com.apple.driver.AGPM (100.14.37) <114 89 72 71 12 5 4 3>

com.apple.AppleGraphicsDeviceControl (3.7.21) <7 6 5 4 3 1>

Attached  :

AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext  (V:100.14.37)

AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext.zip

Changing the device id to your GPU device id should be enough for most of you here.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bought an intel 335 SSD 180 GB as it pretty much looks like the MBR is dead (or rather killed :P) , especially since latest versions of Clover  aren't behaving well with MBR (HFS+) partitions as slice removed HFS+ driver from the boot file. 

Of course speed boost is a gain and pretty much in acceptable limits with SATA 3.0 of our motherboard. TRIM can be enabled with Clover TRIM Patch.

ax0ca9.jpg

P.S I also have Samsung 840 Evo 120 GB SSD with my older desktop hackintosh with ICH7 with no AHCI and no TRIM, so I wouldn't recommend a SSD for any machine without AHCI or at least SATA 3.0.

• Like 3

Two states when on power, Three states when on battery as as experimented and concluded few posts above by me and immo.

and latest Nvidia web driver - http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/80070/en-us

Attached  :

attachicon.gifAppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext.zip

Changing the device id to your GPU device id should be enough for most of you here.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@Indiandragon: Could you explain with a little more detail?  replacing GFX0 in what? Changing the device ID in what?

About Lulighttec if you want to install Nvidia drivers you had to open the installer with Flat Package Editor (is an Utility) , find the file "Distribution", drag and drop it on your desktop (or where you want) open it with text editor and delete the first line starting with "if validate...." only the first..this is to bypass the compatibility check, so you can install it...than reboot...then go into nvidia panel you will find into system preferences, and select if to use nvidia drivers or apple drivers.  In my case G-state worked also before to install it.

@Raimdal: I tried two different downloads of the package, and successfully bypassed both hardware and software detection, but the first driver wasn't supported because it was too old (Mavericks) and the second driver wasn't supported because it was too new (10.10.1, not 10.10).  :-/  oh well.  The panel is installed, but I'm hesitant to upgrade to the 10.10.1 seed right now.  I'd rather wait until it's released officially.  Maybe I'm overly cautious.

@lulighttec,

It seems someone has patched IOBluetoothFamily.kext to enable Handoff for some BT4 USB dongles - see the following threads ...

From the looks of it, success is very hit and miss and depends on the brand of USB dongle and also SMBIOS used.  Unfortunately, @luki1979 mentions "no reported success with sticks like Gmyle, IOgear that use 20702A3 firm.v14 c4096".  Edit 11/20/2014 - @Hakimi had success with IOGear GBU521W6 and BCM94322HM8L and a new Clover patch :).

Not sure about your gestures/card reader/USB issue...have you looked at your console logs for any clues?

@fusion71au:  Thanks for your additional research regarding the bluetooth and handoff.  I might try getting the new IOGear dongle.  As far as gestures/card reader, I'm not sure what exactly I should be looking for in the console logs.  I've tried just looking through them to see if there were any errors or USB or BT messages that stood out, but nothing did.  The interesting thing is, I have no reliable way to predict when they are going to work and when they aren't.  It certainly doesn't seem to be related to the BT kexts.  Do you want to try taking a look?

Attached  :

attachicon.gifAppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext.zip

@Indiandragon: Could you explain with a little more detail?  replacing GFX0 in what? Changing the device ID in what?

@Raimdal: I tried two different downloads of the package, and successfully bypassed both hardware and software detection, but the first driver wasn't supported because it was too old (Mavericks) and the second driver wasn't supported because it was too new (10.10.1, not 10.10).  :-/  oh well.  The panel is installed, but I'm hesitant to upgrade to the 10.10.1 seed right now.  I'd rather wait until it's released officially.  Maybe I'm overly cautious.

@lulighttec,

@fusion71au:  Thanks for your additional research regarding the bluetooth and handoff.  I might try getting the new IOGear dongle.  I have tried the Clover patch before, and it makes my BT responses very erratic (using magic trackpad), so I always went back to non-patched.  

EDIT: I may just hold out until next year, when I will inherit my bf's real MacBookPro, which is certainly an updated model compared to what my Dell hardware represents.

As far as gestures/card reader, I'm not sure what exactly I should be looking for in the console logs.  I've tried just looking through them to see if there were any errors or USB or BT messages that stood out, but nothing did.  The interesting thing is, I have no reliable way to predict when they are going to work and when they aren't.  It certainly doesn't seem to be related to the BT kexts.  Do you want to try taking a look?

He is referring to the MacBookPro5,1 section of the AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext Info.plist which he replaced with the customized power management

details specific to his NVidia GeForce 8600M GT 256 MB (Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)/Device ID: 0x0407) while entirely removing the previously present GFX0 section.

Problem with voodohda and Clover

If did the upgrade to OS X 10.10 for my Dell M1530, everything works except sound.

I`v tried latest voodoohda 2.8.7 as well some older. With Chameleon sound works well, with Clover I get bad cracking sound.

Could someone give me a patched applehda Kext for clover?

This is my system:

Thanks!

post-458999-0-03865100-1416814080_thumb.png

@holgix,

Personally, I have no problem with the audio using VoodooHDA (v2.8.4 or 2.8.7) booting into Yosemite 10.10.1 with Clover.  Have a look at the VoodooHDA troubleshooting guide.

However I have attached a legacy AppleHDA v1.7.4a1 (patched for the Sigmatel STAC 9228 codec) from SnowLeopard and immo's DSDT with patched HDEF section that should work for the XPS M1530.

Replace your current DSDT and AppleHDA + delete VoodooHDA & HDADisabler, repair permissions/rebuild caches + reboot (make sure you have kext-dev-mode=1 kernel flag in config.plist).

AppleHDA_v1.7.4a1 & DSDT.zip