[GUIDE] Making a DSDT.aml for Dell XPS M1330, XPS M1530, and XPS M1730

immo

2,030 posts in this topic

Also, is it possible put larger RAM chips beyond 4GB capacity on an XPS m1530 running Mavericks? Just curious.

The answer would be yes:  max memory upgrade possible on the XPS m1530 from user reports and the Crucial website is 8GB (2x4GB), as long as a 64bit OS is installed and BIOS ver is A12.

Interestingly, Intel documentation for the 965 mobile chipset (written in 2007 when 64bit OS use was uncommon) says max mem limitation is 4GB!

• Like 2

Definitely possible to boot the recovery partition using clover (unfortunately not with chameleon) - can add kexts, FakeSMC--->enable network, browse with safari etc (post by BlackOSX).

I've experimented booting with clover (non uefi/BIOS mode) from a USB and it works well booting OSX but is flakey with Windows in my hybrid mbr setup - see guide by BatcOuntrY.

Edit: Booting my desktop with clover USB into recovery partition.

I would like to highly commend you on your explorations of the mystical Clover on our quite outdated but still viable hardware. Are you able to actually boot into the Recovery Partition now? Please, do elaborate with us.

Hey there Fusion,

I wound up getting it to work when I had 10.8.3 by using my old SL IO80211Family.kext but then it suddenly stopped out of the blue. I was trying to remember if I downloaded something to cause the problem but figured a clean install of Mavericks might do the trick. Unfortunately that isn't the case so far.

I will stay away from the convoluted stuff like changing kext info and the like and just buy a USB adapter like I did for Bluetooth usage (laptop never had a Bluetooth card from day one). Wasn't sure if I had to change any settings either when I am in the BIOS Settings mode but didn't want to risk messing things up after having EVERYTHING else working.

Also, is it possible put larger RAM chips beyond 4GB capacity on an XPS m1530 running Mavericks? Just curious.

I am not sure why you are experiencing connectivity issues with your current Broadcom WLAN card as according to your forum signature, our WLAN cards appear to be very similar if not the same, and I personally have never experienced any wireless connectivity issues with my Broadcom BCM94321MC WLAN card under ANY version of the OS X with ZERO system file modification.

I would like to highly commend you on your explorations of the mystical Clover on our quite outdated but still viable hardware. Are you able to actually boot into the Recovery Partition now? Please, do elaborate with us.

I am not sure why you are experiencing connectivity issues with your current Broadcom WLAN card as according to your forum signature, our WLAN cards appear to be very similar if not the same, and I personally have never experienced any wireless connectivity issues with my Broadcom BCM94321MC WLAN card under ANY version of the OS X with ZERO system file modification.

DarwinX,

I wish I knew the answer to why I can't get the WLAN up and running. As mentioned previously, I know it's possible because I had it going for a while on 10.8.3 by using the Snow Leopard IO80211Family.kext. But when I tried it again this time around, I got nothing. Probably need to see another working kext group or DSDT or something from another XPS m1530 that actually works and learn to see where the problem is. For all I know, maybe I have something out of place or forgot to add from my old 10.6.1 or 10.8.3 setup. Or maybe I need to literally start from scratch, as in learning how to configure my laptop from the BIOS settings outward.

Yes, I can boot into the recovery partition of my XPSm1530 with Clover.  Download Clover here.

post-846696-0-52561700-1387672634_thumb.jpg

Installing Clover

I highly recommend going through batcOuntrY's guide for Clover setup on non UEFI machines.  I use the same install options as him including installing to the EFI partition.

post-846696-0-05822400-1389421700_thumb.png

I also recommend converting your drive to full GPT with gdisk for full functionality - Clover doesn't play well with hybrid mbr and legacy dual booting with Windows.  For those interested, attached are the files that I use to setup Clover on my XPSm1530:

Clover files for XPSm1530.zip

config.plist--->put into EFI/CLOVER folder

DSDT.aml--->put into EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched

HFSPlus.efi--->put into EFI/CLOVER/drivers64 & EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI

FakeSMC.kext--->put into EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other with VoodooPS2Controller.kext & delete 10.6-10.9 folders*

* removing /EFI/kexts/<version> subfolders will result in injecting FakeSMC.kext from /EFI/kexts/Other for all OSX versions.

post-846696-0-66886100-1389422065_thumb.png

You can use Clover Configurator.app to configure your Clover config.plist. Please generate your own serial & MLB number with the app (click the magician's wand in the SMBIOS section, and append 6 digits to the serial to get the MLB number in Rt Variables tab).

post-846696-0-32908200-1389444709_thumb.jpg

Sample Config.plist

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
	<key>GUI</key>
	<dict>
		<key>ScreenResolution</key>
		<string>1440x900</string>
		<key>Theme</key>
		<string>BGM</string>
		<key>Mouse</key>
		<dict>
			<key>Enabled</key>
			<false/>
		</dict>
		<key>Scan</key>
		<dict>
			<key>Entries</key>
			<true/>
			<key>Tool</key>
			<true/>
			<key>Legacy</key>
			<false/>
		</dict>
	</dict>
	<key>Graphics</key>
	<dict>
		<key>Inject</key>
		<dict>
			<key>Intel</key>
			<false/>
			<key>ATI</key>
			<false/>
			<key>NVidia</key>
			<true/>
		</dict>
	</dict>
	<key>KernelAndKextPatches</key>
	<dict>
		<key>AppleRTC</key>
		<true/>
		<key>KextsToPatch</key>
		<array>
			<dict>
				<key>Name</key>
				<string>AppleAHCIPort</string>
				<key>Find</key>
				<data>
				RXh0ZXJuYWw=
				</data>
				<key>Replace</key>
				<data>
				SW50ZXJuYWw=
				</data>
				<key>Comment</key>
				<string>External icons patch</string>
			</dict>
		</array>
	</dict>
	<key>RtVariables</key>
	<dict>
		<key>MLB</key>
		<string>xxxxxxxxxxx123456</string>
	</dict>
	<key>SMBIOS</key>
	<dict>
		<key>BoardType</key>
		<integer>10</integer>
		<key>ChassisType</key>
		<integer>8</integer>
		<key>SmUUID</key>
		<string>xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx</string>
		<key>BiosReleaseDate</key>
		<string>05/05/09</string>
		<key>Version</key>
		<string>1.0</string>
		<key>SerialNumber</key>
		<string>xxxxxxxxxxx</string>
		<key>Manufacturer</key>
		<string>Apple Computer, Inc.</string>
		<key>BoardManufacturer</key>
		<key>BoardSerialNumber</key>
		<string>xxxxxxxxxxx123456</string>
		<key>ChassisAssetTag</key>
		<string>MacBook-Aluminum</string>
		<key>BiosVendor</key>
		<key>ChassisManufacturer</key>
		<key>BiosVersion</key>
		<string>MBP51.88Z.007E.B05.0905051508</string>
		<key>Board-ID</key>
		<string>Mac-F42D86C8</string>
		<key>Family</key>
		<string>MacBook Pro</string>
		<key>ProductName</key>
		<string>MacBookPro5,1</string>
		<key>Mobile</key>
		<true/>
	</dict>
	<key>ACPI</key>
	<dict>
		<key>DSDT</key>
		<dict>
			<key>Debug</key>
			<false/>
			<key>ReuseFFFF</key>
			<false/>
			<key>Name</key>
			<string>DSDT.aml</string>
			<key>DropOEM_DSM</key>
			<false/>
		</dict>
		<key>SSDT</key>
		<dict>
			<key>DropOem</key>
			<false/>
			<key>Generate</key>
			<dict>
				<key>PStates</key>
				<true/>
				<key>CStates</key>
				<true/>
			</dict>
		</dict>
	</dict>
	<key>Devices</key>
	<dict>
		<key>Audio</key>
		<dict>
			<key>Inject</key>
			<string>No</string>
		</dict>
		<key>USB</key>
		<dict>
			<key>Inject</key>
			<false/>
			<key>FixOwnership</key>
			<false/>
		</dict>
	</dict>
	<key>Boot</key>
	<dict>
		<key>Log</key>
		<false/>
		<key>Timeout</key>
		<integer>5</integer>
		<key>XMPDetection</key>
		<string>Yes</string>
		<key>WhiteList</key>
		<array/>
		<key>BlackList</key>
		<array/>
		<key>Secure</key>
		<false/>
	</dict>
	<key>SystemParameters</key>
	<dict>
		<key>CustomUUID</key>
		<string>xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx</string>
		<key>InjectSystemID</key>
		<true/>
	</dict>
</dict>
</plist>

Clover GUI Keyboard Shortcuts

Some very useful keyboard shortcuts are available once you are at the Clover GUI.  See this page at the wiki.

Booting the recovery partition

Since it lacks a S/L/E folder, booting must use kernelcache and both BaseSystem.dmg and kernelcache in the RP have to be patched to include FakeSMC.kext (and VoodooPS2Controller.kext) -refer to posts by BlackOSX and Las_vegas.  Clover can do the patching automatically by injecting kexts from its kexts folder but the default behaviour of clover is to use kernelcache without injecting extra kexts so .....

For the recovery partition - set clover boot option WithKexts (kernelcache used and kexts injected into it)

For normal OSX partition with FakeSMC etc already in S/L/E try with

- Default boot option (kc used, no extra kexts injected)

- NoCaches and WithKexts (no kc, kexts injected - like chameleon -f, v)

@Petey73,

I think DarwinX is getting confused with the card you have:  it is a BCM4312 which is problematic in Mavericks and ML 10.8.4+,

not a BCM4321 which works well with Mavericks.  Nothing wrong with your setup as far as I can see :) .

Clover files for XPSm1530.zip

• Like 4

@fusion71au, you are a research DEMON!  :D

Since I know how much time and energy goes into this effort, I personally appreciate your compilation of such a straight forward Clover installation process for our systems.

While migrating to the Clover boot loader seems promising, the process itself appears to be complex, time consuming and fraught with peril, especially for noobs.  I will, however, attempt this when the time allows, especially considering that I am utilizing a far more versatile native GPT (GUID Partition Table) rather than the tenuous Hybrid MBR or the archaic MBR and no Windows with which to contend. 

Fusion71au, given my current disk partition setup, what is your expert recommendation for the Clover installation?

dev/disk0
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *320.1 GB   disk0
   1:                        EFI                         209.7 MB   disk0s1
   2:                  Apple_HFS OS X 10.9.1             138.5 GB   disk0s2
   3:                 Apple_Boot Recovery HD             650.0 MB   disk0s3
   4:                  Apple_HFS OS X 10.8.5             180.0 GB   disk0s4
   5:                 Apple_Boot Recovery HD             650.0 MB   disk0s5

Hi DarwinX,

Thanks for the kind words but I definitely wouldn't rate myself as a Clover "expert", just a beginner learning the ropes :) .

I think the best approach initially would be to install Clover first on a fat32 USB and play around with it.  The number of options that Clover provides can be quite overwhelming, even for experienced hackintoshers (let alone for noobs) and it is probably wise to leave most settings on default if you don't fully understand what they do.  Thankfully, a lot of the options are the same or similar in Chameleon so you can safely set these eg Graphics Enabler/Graphics Injection=Yes, Set P & C states etc.

Once you are happy with the setup, it is then a simple matter to transfer your settings to the hard drive.  In your case, with multiple OSX installations, I would probably install to the EFI partition for convenience.

post-846696-0-40515000-1389441087_thumb.png

post-846696-0-92787100-1389441107_thumb.png

Good Luck!

Edit 1 Making the EFI partition visible to make edits to Clover files (if you installed Clover to the EFI Partition)- thanks BlackOSX post

In terminal type

defaults write com.apple.DiskUtility DUDebugMenuEnabled 1

Then open Disk Utility and from the debug menu, select 'Show every partition'.  Now you should be able to see hidden partitions like EFI and the recovery partition.  To mount, right click the partition and select "mount EFI".

to disable, type in terminal:
defaults write com.apple.DiskUtility DUDebugMenuEnabled 0

Edit 2 Transferring Chameleon Settings to Clover

Very useful posts by Slice and Dmazar in Clover v.2 Instructions forum topic and eep357 in iMessage Fix-How to in order to ensure that your Chameleon settings are transferred to your Clover config.plist properly.  This avoids iCloud and iMessage sign in problems due to different Hardware UUID being presented to the Apple Servers when booting your OSX partition with chameleon, then clover (and vice versa).  NB the original research on the mechanism used by Apple to validate iMessage and the variables used was done by ElNono_ in this post @Voldemort's forum.

Quote from Dmazar

"Instead of just specifying CustomUUID:

<dict>
<key>CustomUUID</key>
<string>739EBE45-0D8C-5BFC-9AD1-6C5EF6E973A4</string>
</dict>

I need to specify:

<dict>
<key>InjectSystemID</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>CustomUUID</key>
<string>5AA3001E-8C00-0042-41B2-F42804929E8A</string>
</dict>

Where:
739EBE45-0D8C-5BFC-9AD1-6C5EF6E973A4 - is my Hardware UUID displayed in System Information/Hardware Overview screen
5AA3001E-8C00-0042-41B2-F42804929E8A - is system-id that Chameleon injects to get above Hardware UUID
"

This Chameleon's system-id can be found by booting with Chameleon and then checking IOReg IODeviceTree:/efi/platform or just from Terminal:
> ioreg -l -p IODeviceTree | grep \"system-id

In summary,

1) Boot your OSX partition with Chameleon and use Clover Configurator to open Clover config.plist

2) Under the SMBIOS tab,

• make sure that Serial Number and SmUUID fields are filled with the Serial Number (system) and Hardware UUID obtained when viewing "Hardware Overview".
  • Fill the field "Board Serial Number" with the same system serial number but append 6 extra digits (so have 17 characters in total).

3) Under the Rt Variables tab, fill the field "MLB" with the same number as the "Board Serial Number" (so have 17 characters in total).

4) Under System Parameters tab, tick "Inject System ID" and fill the Custom UUID field with Chameleon's system-id.  This is the same name given to the NVRAM file in /Extra ie nvram.xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx.plist or as Dmazar said, type in terminal

ioreg -l -p IODeviceTree | grep \"system-id

5) Save Clover config.plist in EFI/CLOVER

• Like 2

if u get tired of issue with wifi.. buy AR5B91 and problem solved.

i think the subvendor 14E4 is part of issue... needs to be rebranded apple subvendor.

Funny you should mention that because I actually just bought the BCM94321MC card on eBay yesterday. It's the same as DarwinX's card so I don't anticipate any issues once I have it.

Interesting Clover fact posted by Pene in the Clover General Discussion topic:

"Now as a side note, I have seen that many people think that because their system is not UEFI and they use Clover as Legacy, they need to keep using Legacy Windows.

So in case you think that, know that it's not true - I use Windows 7/8.1 installed in UEFI mode on all my systems with CloverEFI (and the systems don't have UEFI bios).

So my main recommendation to both of you is to get rid completely of MBR, stay with a pure-GPT partition, and reinstall Windows in UEFI mode.

CloverEFI provides a full UEFI environment, and you can install Windows in UEFI mode if you boot the Windows DVD or USB through Clover, not as Legacy, but by choosing the EFI entry"

I can confirm that it is possible to install & boot UEFI Windows on our old BIOS based machines with Clover

post-846696-0-75467400-1388136275_thumb.jpg

On a GUID partitioned external USB hard drive, I installed OSX first, then Windows Server 2012 (in "to go mode" following directions from this blog post), then the Clover bootloader into the EFI partition.  I can now dual boot OSX/Windows on the XPSm1530 through Clover (choose Microsoft boot menu and boot through bootmgrfw.efi).

post-846696-0-70483600-1388136310_thumb.jpg

Why boot this way?

Advantages: GPT/UEFI is the way of the future and you avoid the 4 partition/2TB limit of mbr/hybrid mbr - you can have multiple recovery partitions, OSX, Linux and Windows installations in a multiboot arrangement on the same drive.

Disadvantages: Some older disk partitioning/backup programs may only work with mbr.

Edit:  I finally took the plunge and converted the hybrid mbr on my main drive to full GPT and clean installed UEFI Windows 7_X64.

Summary of Steps Installing UEFI Windows 7 X64 on internal GPT HD

1. Booted into OSX partition and used GDisk to delete the old Windows partition and convert the disk to pure GPT (by writing a protective mbr over the hybrid mbr).   Overview of GPT and man page of Gdisk.
  2. Installed Clover into the EFI partition of the HD
  3. Booted the computer with Clover from the HD, then inserted Windows 7_X64 UEFI install USB

post-846696-0-62614600-1391901791_thumb.png

4. Choose bootx64.efi from EFI boot menu of the install USB.  Follow the prompts to install UEFI Windows into the free

space created by step 1

post-846696-0-84276700-1391901892_thumb.png

5. After the installer has finished writing files to disk, it will automatically reboot--->remove install USB now

6. Computer will boot into the Clover screen and there will now be an internal EFI menu to choose--->select to boot

bootx64.efi.  Windows will now finalize settings and complete the install!

post-846696-0-55063300-1388230773_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Hey again,

A while ago I posted about a problem that I'm having on my XPS m1330 with Intel X3100 video.  Specifically, it wakes with a dead backlight for a few minutes after which time hitting a key will usually light it up again.  See post #1592 for the initial description. 

I write again because I've discovered a strange fix.  Well, not really a fix but it does always wake the display up immediately.

This is so strange.  If I change the A/C power cord state the display comes right up.

That is to say upon wake, my display is black and if the A/C adapter was unplugged, plugging it in turns on the display.

If the A/C adapter was already connected, disconnecting it lights up my display.  Crazy, no ?

Does this ring a bell for anyone ?  Is there a specific section of the dsdt that I should be looking at to modify ?

Thanks is advance.

Now that I have clean installed Windows again, I thought I might take the opportunity to share some useful information and tips I've found for dual booting Windows and OSX.

I keep a fat32 "Shared Data" partition that contains my documents, pictures, music etc that can be accessed by both OSX and Windows.

You can install Apple's bootcamp HFS drivers in Windows by following the instructions in this guide.  They enable you to access your OSX partition in read only mode (so you can copy over important files to the Windows partition as backup for example).

An annoying quirk for dual booters is that Windows and OSX use different clocks:  OSX and Linux use GMT time while Windows uses local time for the clock.  To get around this and keep time in synch between the OS's, I set the key RealTimeIsUniversal=1 in the Windows registry - instructions here from Prasys's blog.

Those that use loaders to test Windows OEM activation :wink_anim: , you can use Clover to inject a SLIC.aml by placing it in EFI/Clover/ACPI/Windows- see my post here

Hope someone finds this useful

• Like 2

woah .. weird issue i had with my G31M-es2l rev1 .. with dsdt that works in Lion i could not get mavericks to work due to PCI0 UID change from 1 to zero long ago for 10.6.8

changed it back to uid 1 and set in org.cham boot plist PCIRootUID back to one and it boots video on mavericks.!

now if i could figure out the appleintelcpu kp with no hpets cpu2 = myhack.kext was doing it.

@LatinMcG,

Its good having our resident DSDT guru back posting in this forum after a bit of a hiatus :) .  How's your back?

Funny that you should mention your famous DSDT Tequila-Fix /"PCI Patch" from immo's first post.  A few weeks ago, I was helping xangel9626 install Mavericks in his Inspiron 1720 thread and one of the DSDT edits I did for him was the PCI0 UID change _ADR, Zero to _UID, Zero.....as far as I know, it helped his unstable system and he is now on Mavericks :) .

On the XPSm1530, I've found Mavericks very stable and not requiring any major change to our DSDTs except DarwinX's Device LCPB edit for temps.  Sleep was also fixed with a regressed AppleACPIPlatform.kext discovered by Squeek but it would be good if there was a DSDT fix for it.......

• Like 1

im much better lately, had the flu almost.. fought it and i won after 3 days.

im no dsdt guru like some of the other guys from 2007, i hated dsdt till 2009 but i didnt spend weeks reading about all of it like some did... i only picked up on it eventualy.

i didnt come up with tequila fix, only noticed its new use again when 10.6.8 hit.

i suspect its the way acpi standards change and we have old stuff.. well im almost ready on upgrade.. Lenovo T420 i got cheap with broken screen

@LatinMcG,

Its good having our resident DSDT guru back posting in this forum after a bit of a hiatus :) .  How's your back?

I agree; glad to hear you are feeling better! :-) I have a cold. :-(

Funny that you should mention your famous DSDT Tequila-Fix /"PCI Patch" from immo's first post.  A few weeks ago, I was helping xangel9626 install Mavericks in his Inspiron 1720 thread and one of the DSDT edits I did for him was the PCI0 UID change _ADR, Zero to _UID, Zero.....as far as I know, it helped his unstable system and he is now on Mavericks :) .

On the XPSm1530, I've found Mavericks very stable and not requiring any major change to our DSDTs except DarwinX's Device LCPB edit for temps.  Sleep was also fixed with a regressed AppleACPIPlatform.kext discovered by Squeek but it would be good if there was a DSDT fix for it.......

Most everything is still working fine on my system with DarwinX's latest DSDT and set of kexts, including SQeek's regressed ACPIPlatform kext, with the exception of HDMI video. However, my temperatures are still uncomfortably high most of the time (no lower than 60 Degrees C), and the frequencies are displaying very strangely. I have updated HWMonitor a few times, but didn't update the FakeSMC HWSensors, because they were from netkas, but maybe I should be. Anyhow, this is what things look like...

post-1036148-0-78013900-1388327811_thumb.png

I know my hardware doesn't operate that fast.  What the hell is going on?  Also, i did clean the fans and apply new thermal paste to the contacts.  :-)

-LULightTec

post-1036148-0-78013900-1388327811_thumb.png

I agree; glad to hear you are feeling better! :-) I have a cold. :-(

Most everything is still working fine on my system with DarwinX's latest DSDT and set of kexts, including SQeek's regressed ACPIPlatform kext, with the exception of HDMI video. However, my temperatures are still uncomfortably high most of the time (no lower than 60 Degrees C), and the frequencies are displaying very strangely. I have updated HWMonitor a few times, but didn't update the FakeSMC HWSensors, because they were from netkas, but maybe I should be. Anyhow, this is what things look like...

I know my hardware doesn't operate that fast.  What the hell is going on?  Also, i did clean the fans and apply new thermal paste to the contacts.  :-)

-LULightTec

You are using the wrong FakeSMC hardware sensor branch. Delete your existing FakeSMC.kext by Kozlek as its hardware monitoring sensor plugins are not fully compatible with our hardware.

Use the following latest available FakeSMC.kext from Slice's branch along with the appropriate HWMonitor.app also by Slice which differs from Kozlek's HWMonitor.app.

DO NOT mix the kexts from those two independent branches and please DO NOT use Kozlek's branch at all.

• Like 2

You are using the wrong FakeSMC hardware sensor branch. Delete your existing FakeSMC.kext by Kozlek as its hardware monitoring sensor plugins are not fully compatible with our hardware.

Use the following latest available FakeSMC.kext from Slice's branch along with the appropriate HWMonitor.app also by Slice which differs from Kozlek's HWMonitor.app.

DO NOT mix the kexts from those two independent branches and please DO NOT use Kozlek's branch at all.

Ok, so that was exactly the same sensor branch as I was using, but apparently I was using the wrong HWMonitor.app, so things weren't displaying correctly.  That's one problem fixed.  Thank you very much.

Now, for the second problem, which is that the temperatures are still too high.  Right now I'm sitting at 66C, and I'm hardly doing anything.  

post-1036148-0-16339300-1388337607_thumb.png

Ok, so that was exactly the same sensor branch as I was using, but apparently I was using the wrong HWMonitor.app, so things weren't displaying correctly.  That's one problem fixed.  Thank you very much.

Now, for the second problem, which is that the temperatures are still too high.  Right now I'm sitting at 66C, and I'm hardly doing anything.  

No problem. Your temperatures appear to be in the acceptable range. Look at mine:

post-185231-0-28076300-1388346649_thumb.png

Hmmm,

I'm running the latest FakeSMC+HWMonitor 6.0.1057 on my XPS m1330 NVidia 8400M GS/128, m1330 X3100, and m1530 NVidia 8600M GT/256 and all seem to be showing reasonable HW readings.

My m1330 8400M GS does run too hot, 68-75, averaging 70ish but these XPS m1x30 notebooks are known for defective NVidia GPUs w/bad thermal cycling, massive recall and all that.

Is this not OK ?

HWMonitor.tiff

Hmmm,

I'm running the latest FakeSMC+HWMonitor 6.0.1057 on my XPS m1330 NVidia 8400M GS/128, m1330 X3100, and m1530 NVidia 8600M GT/256 and all seem to be showing reasonable HW readings.

My m1330 8400M GS does run too hot, 68-75, averaging 70ish but these XPS m1x30 notebooks are known for defective NVidia GPUs w/bad thermal cycling, massive recall and all that.

Is this not OK ?

attachicon.gifHWMonitor.tiff

Kozlek's branch lacks support for our LPC Super I/O chip (PC8739x), hence the missing temperature read outs with the Kozlek's version that you are currently using. The difference between branches is quite obvious as evidenced by the differing screen shots. You really don't need to reinvent anything here as everything has already been provided for your convenience.

You must simply utilize it.

Kozlek's branch lacks support for our LPC Super I/O chip (PC8739x), hence the missing temperature read outs with the Kozlek's version that you are currently using. The difference between branches is quite obvious as evidenced by the differing screen shots. You really don't need to reinvent anything here as everything has already been provided for your convenience.

You must simply utilize it.

Agreed, more readings is always better ;)  Certainly not inventing anything here ... just implementing the hard work of others in either case.  I was mainly just wanting to relay my experience that the newer FakeSMC/HWMonitor branch was NOT the cause of bad sensor readings for the OP. 

Misinformation is always worse than no information, yeah ?

Agreed, more readings is always better ;)  Certainly not inventing anything here ... just implementing the hard work of others in either case.  I was mainly just wanting to relay my experience that the newer FakeSMC/HWMonitor branch was NOT the cause of bad sensor readings for the OP. 

Misinformation is always worse than no information, yeah ?

Our rigs do indeed run hot due to the defective (retarded?) video card cooling system design which is clearly unrelated to FakeSMC.

I was merely pointing out that it is illogical to utilize Kozlek's branch of FakeSMC on our systems as it lacks essential hardware support which translates to diminished sensor output.

Kozlek's active development, while laudable, is also largely irrelevant to our outdated hardware.

No problem. Your temperatures appear to be in the acceptable range. Look at mine:

attachicon.gifFakeSMC-3.3.1svn-r728 Slice.png

umm, yours are at least 12 degrees lower than mine.  Last time I showed you those, you said they were super hot.  Anyhow, mine doesn't seem to run so hot in Windows.  I also noticed that your frequency during what i assume is idle is a good bit lower than mine.  My frequency never drops below 1194 MHz (the x6.0 Multiplier); in fact it seems to always waffle between x6.0 and x9.0 or x10.0.  I thought there would be several different steps in between, and I would expect it to drop lower than x6.0 at some point.  Maybe my grasp of the concept is way off, but still, average temperatures of 64C seems kinda high, and it takes nothing for that temperature to soar up to 75-81C, just a game or anything involving video.  It just concerns me.  I thought that cleaning and reapplying thermal compound to the cooling system would make a difference, but it made very little difference.