[GUIDE] Making a DSDT.aml for Dell XPS M1330, XPS M1530, and XPS M1730

immo

2,030 posts in this topic

Its too bad that this one minor thing still Plagues the XPS M1330 and XPS M1530.  Not even a DSDT injection of any kind will fix this.  Other than this one minor imperfection, they are still known to be one of the best MacBook Pro clones around to this day!!

Agreed!  Its a testament to the wonderful community here that a near 6 year old laptop is able to run Apple's latest and greatest with hardly any issues.  I remember when I first discovered hackintoshing this forum provided invaluable help and information so I feel obliged to also help out when (and if) I can ....

• Like 3

Ofcourse. :)

Looks like Synaptics code and Alps Linux code is being modified by bdepman to make it work with Alps on OS X.

Still work under progress.

https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-Voodoo-PS2-Controller/pull/2

and another effort of VoodooPS2Controller V1.10 for Alps Touchpad by RehabMan, Slice and Andy Vandijck.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/files/file/49-voodoopscontroller-modified-version/

Download Link

Thanks for the head's up. I hadn't realized that the ALPS trackpad was also under development by the bpedman whose branch is actually in the process of being merged into the RehabMan's VoodooPS2Controller master branch. However, your download link for the actual modified VoodoPS2Controller appears to provide a much earlier version of the driver from the end of 2012 while the actual modification development date ranges from May 12, 2013 - July 28, 2013. Also, the file download itself was last updated on April 18, 2013. So clearly, at the very least this can not be latest version of the modified VoodooPS2Controller authored by the bpedman.

• Like 3

However, your download link for the actual modified VoodoPS2Controller appears to provide a much earlier version of the driver from the end of 2012 while the actual modification development date ranges from May 12, 2013 - July 28, 2013. Also, the file download itself was last updated on April 18, 2013. So clearly, at the very least this can not be latest version of the modified VoodooPS2Controller authored by the bpedman.

The download link is for the  version V1.10  by RehabMan, Slice and Andy Vandijck. Updated  the earlier post aswell.

There is a bdepman_merge  branch tree which is  periodically synced with master tree of RehabMans  VoodooPS2controller, and the last sync was with the version 1.8.8 which was done somewhere in October.  

https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-Voodoo-PS2-Controller/network

Here is the download link for RehabMan VoodoPS2Controller from GoogleCode.

https://code.google.com/p/os-x-voodoo-ps2-controller/downloads/list.

However, I guess the  Rehabmans VoodooPS2Controller.kext at Google code download is NOT from bdepman-merge  branch.

Source tree branches.

1)Master:

https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-Voodoo-PS2-Controller

2) bdepman-merge

https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-Voodoo-PS2-Controller/tree/bpedman_merge

Edit:

Out of Curiosity, I tried the VoodooPS2Contoller  v1.8.8 from the Google code download link .  

s-mbp:~ sudoadmin$ kextstat |grep PS2

30    2 0xffffff7f80c01000 0xe000     0xe000     org.rehabman.voodoo.driver.PS2Controller (1.8.8) <10 7 5 4 3 1>

55    0 0xffffff7f80c24000 0x5000     0x5000     org.rehabman.voodoo.driver.PS2Keyboard (1.8.8) <32 30 7 6 5 4 3 1>

56    0 0xffffff7f80c0f000 0xb000     0xb000     org.rehabman.voodoo.driver.PS2Trackpad (1.8.8) <32 30 7 6 5 4 3 1>

The VoodooPS2Controller.kext driver loads fine. Keyboard works.

The mouse pointer just moves around the 4 corners, if we use the touchpad. So it looks like it is still in the initial development stage or its NOT the binary/driver built out of bedmpan-merge branch.

I was able to launch HWmonitor initially but now it won't do anything.  It goes in applications correct?  I am using the one that was provided in DarwinX's zip file in the utilities folder.  I can launch the binary but the terminal stays resident.

Thanks

I was able to launch HWmonitor initially but now it won't do anything.  It goes in applications correct?  I am using the one that was provided in DarwinX's zip file in the utilities folder.  I can launch the binary but the terminal stays resident.

Thanks

I noticed that as well (?security settings for unsigned apps?).  As a work around, you can use SMC Monitor http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/247185-smc-monitor/ or the newer HWMonitor from kozlek's branch http://sourceforge.net/projects/hwsensors/files/?source=navbar .

I still use Slice's FakeSMC v3.3.1 since it has LPC plugin support for fan speed and motherboard temps compared to kozlek's FakeSMC.

Note the newer kozlek HWMonitor gives strange CPU & GPU freq when used with Slice's FakeSMC v3.3.1 (everything else incl temps & fan OK) so I use SMC Monitor mostly but kozlek HWMonitor if I want to see graphs of temps.

Edit:  Just tried iStat Menus.app ver 4.10 and it has the same problem with crazy CPU & GPU freq readings as kozlek HWMonitor when used with FakeSMC v3.3.1 (eg CPU 32000, GPU 18022.4 GHz) To get correct CPU & GPU freq readings, need to use current kozlek FakeSMC 5.4.944 but this loses fan speed readings and mainboard temps!

@hnvijay, the RehabMan/bpedman VoodooPS2Controller branch merger has already been unsuccessfully attempted:

RehabMan commented: "Well, I finally had a moment to test a merge. Merge was pretty easy. But the resulting code does not work.
No crash or anything, but no trackpad on boot. So... Synaptics is broken in your fork. When I have a chance, I'll track down why".

You are correct, thus far the RehabMan's VoodooPS2Controller branch provides no hardware support for the ALPS trackpad. :(

Thanks

How about the iStat Menus.app? It runs perfectly under the 10.9. I know it is a paid app, but if one were inclined to do so, there is a really easy way to get it for free for life with updates.  ;)

• Like 3

@hnvijay, the RehabMan/bpedman VoodooPS2Controller branch merger has already been unsuccessfully attempted:

RehabMan commented: "Well, I finally had a moment to test a merge. Merge was pretty easy. But the resulting code does not work.
No crash or anything, but no trackpad on boot. So... Synaptics is broken in your fork. When I have a chance, I'll track down why".

You are correct, thus far the RehabMan's VoodooPS2Controller branch provides no hardware support for the ALPS trackpad. :(

How about the iStat Menus.app? It runs perfectly under the 10.9. I know it is a paid app, but if one were inclined to do so, there is a really easy way to get it for free for life with updates.  ;)

I just grabbed it now works great.  Thanks

At a later point, 2 months ago, RehabMan Commented "I have it working. The problem was initialization was not happening correctly in the Synaptics case. Now I plan to review the refactoring and see if I can improve it, but first I will commit this branch for you to test... just to make sure I didn't break anything on the ALPS side."

and bpedman built with the merged code and looks like it is working. here few comments.

"I just built this and sent it out for some people to test."

"OK, so one person has responded so far and noted that the merged driver is working for them."

Hope they resolve all major issues and soon we get to see a fully functional Alps Touchpad  :)

@DarwinX,

It seems most of those kexts you provided work well on my Asus G51Jx Sandy Bridge Generation I i7-720M with the Nvidia Graphics GTS 360M.  My model is very close to the MAcBook Pro 6,2.  That MacBook Pro only has Dual core and graphics is a lower model but somewhat similar.  I will probably try a different FakeSMC since the one we are using for the XPS M1530 supports our chipset specifically.

The only thing I need to adjust other than trying a different FakeSMC and smbios model is the AGPM.   I looked over the one you provided and compared it to a vanilla kext and it looks like you basically modified the section MacModel 5,2 removing the integrated graphics section and added a device ID section as well as adjusting the low and high thresholds.  I am assuming you used the APGM thread to make the adjustments?   How were you able to figure out what the High and Low thresholds should be?

The bluetooth kexts also seem to work very good on the G51Jx.  I may not need the appleRTC patch but its working with it so far.

One more thing are you using the VoodooPrefPane?  Without it the audio max output seems slightly lower than from the past OSX versions.

Thanks

Hey Guys,

Just a heads up for those wanting to test the new experimental ALPS touchpad driver.

bpedman has actually posted his "Rehabman Merged" VoodooPS2Controller.kext over at osxlatitude.com http://forum.osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/2545-new-touchpad-driver-for-e6520-alps/ . This version is 1.8.8 and dated Sep 9, 2013.

There may still be some teething issues but reading the thread, npjohnson and nico91410 report it as useable.

Edit Rehabman install instructions https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-Voodoo-PS2-Controller/wiki/How-to-Install . NB org.rehabman.voodoo.driver.Daemon.plist is not included in bpedman's zip file. It is available from Rehabman's "normal version" of VoodooPS2Controller.kext https://os-x-voodoo-ps2-controller.googlecode.com/files/RehabMan-Voodoo-2013-0918.zip

RehabmanMerge.zip

• Like 2

@DarwinX,

It seems most of those kexts you provided work well on my Asus G51Jx Sandy Bridge Generation I i7-720M with the Nvidia Graphics GTS 360M.  My model is very close to the MAcBook Pro 6,2.  That MacBook Pro only has Dual core and graphics is a lower model but somewhat similar.  I will probably try a different FakeSMC since the one we are using for the XPS M1530 supports our chipset specifically.

The only thing I need to adjust other than trying a different FakeSMC and smbios model is the AGPM.   I looked over the one you provided and compared it to a vanilla kext and it looks like you basically modified the section MacModel 5,2 removing the integrated graphics section and added a device ID section as well as adjusting the low and high thresholds.  I am assuming you used the APGM thread to make the adjustments?   How were you able to figure out what the High and Low thresholds should be?

The bluetooth kexts also seem to work very good on the G51Jx.  I may not need the appleRTC patch but its working with it so far.

One more thing are you using the VoodooPrefPane?  Without it the audio max output seems slightly lower than from the past OSX versions.

Thanks

Actually, the AGPM patch was kindly provided by the indiandragon and appears to improve the GPU power management:

<key>MacBookPro5,1</key>

<dict>

<key>LogControl</key>

<integer>1</integer>

<key>Vendor10deDevice0407</key>

<dict>

<key>BoostPState</key>

<array>

<integer>0</integer>

<integer>1</integer>

<integer>2</integer>

<integer>3</integer>

</array>

<key>BoostTime</key>

<array>

<integer>3</integer>

<integer>3</integer>

<integer>3</integer>

<integer>3</integer>

</array>

<key>Heuristic</key>

<dict>

<key>ID</key>

<integer>0</integer>

<key>IdleInterval</key>

<integer>250</integer>

<key>SensorOption</key>

<integer>1</integer>

<key>SensorSampleRate</key>

<integer>4</integer>

<key>TargetCount</key>

<integer>1</integer>

<key>Threshold_High</key>

<array>

<integer>57</integer>

<integer>70</integer>

<integer>88</integer>

<integer>100</integer>

</array>

<key>Threshold_Low</key>

<array>

<integer>0</integer>

<integer>68</integer>

<integer>75</integer>

<integer>100</integer>

</array>

</dict>

<key>control-id</key>

<integer>17</integer>

</dict>

</dict>

The above section is to be inserted into the AGPM.kext info.plist replacing the corresponding machine section according to your present SMBios Model Identifier.

In this case, it is the MacBookPro5,1.

Hey Guys,

Just a heads up for those wanting to test the new experimental ALPS touchpad driver.

bpedman has actually posted his "Rehabman Merged" VoodooPS2Controller.kext over at osxlatitude.com http://forum.osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/2545-new-touchpad-driver-for-e6520-alps/ .  This version is 1.8.8 and dated Sep 9, 2013.

There may still be some teething issues but reading the thread, npjohnon and nico91410 seem to have it working.

Edit Rehabman install instructions https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-Voodoo-PS2-Controller/wiki/How-to-Install .  NB org.rehabman.voodoo.driver.Daemon.plist is not included in bpedman's zip file.  It is available from Rehabman's "normal version" of VoodooPS2Controller.kext https://os-x-voodoo-ps2-controller.googlecode.com/files/RehabMan-Voodoo-2013-0918.zip

The aforementioned ALPS driver appears to be fully functional, commendable research work, fusion71au.

• Like 1

One major issue that I'm having with this new driver is that despite adjusting the Trackpad and Mouse Tracking Speed in System Preferences, the cursor remains excruciatingly slow along with the two fingers scrolling. Perhaps, this modified driver requires a native Trackpad.prefPane which I have failed to back up. Would anyone mind uploading their native Trackpad.PrefPane for either 10.8 or 10.9? If anyone's interested, here is the modified Trackpad.PrefPane version 1.1 which I've been successfully utilizing since the 10.6.x:

attachicon.gifTrackpad.prefPane-v1.1.zip

Hi DarwinX,

A prefPane is actually in the zip file I provided and named "VoodooPS2synapticsPane.prefPane". Just drag it across to System Preferences and it should offer to install. Unfortunately, any changes to the prefPane settings appear to be lost after shutting down and rebooting (known bug).

The new driver enables side scrolling in addition to two fingered vertical scrolling. I find vertical scrolling is improved with your 2 fingers wider apart.  Tap clicking is activated using the native OSX Trackpad settings and enabling "Clicking".  Quality of the driver is still alpha and unfortunately not stable enough for production systems yet (occasional freezes, tap clicking works on and off).

Hi DarwinX,

A prefPane is actually in the zip file I provided and named "VoodooPS2synapticsPane.prefPane".  Just drag it across to System Preferences and it should offer to install.  Unfortunately, any changes to the prefPane settings appear to be lost after shutting down and rebooting.

The new driver enables side scrolling in addition to two fingered vertical scrolling.  Tap clicking is activated using the native OSX Trackpad settings and enabling "Clicking".  Link to native OSX 10.9 Trackpad.prefPane https://www.dropbox.com/s/tdey9oba5lg0ekd/Trackpad.prefPane.zip .

Thank You, sir. Unfortunately, this modified driver appears to be quite buggy and offers little to no improvement over the existing VoodooPS2Controller.kext. :(

I'm reverting back to the original VoodooPS2Controller.

Thank You, sir. Unfortunately, this modified driver appears to be quite buggy and offers little to no improvement over the existing VoodooPS2Controller.kext. :(

I'm reverting back to the original VoodooPS2Controller.

I agree at the moment :(

To be fair, they are still in early stage development and those wanting to improve the driver should provide feedback to the author @ the osxlatitude forum mentioned earlier.  If it is further developed and tested by bpedman & Rehabman, it should be more stable and have a superior featureset moving forward...

• Like 1

In-built Ricoh SDHC MMC/SD card on Dell XPS M1530 works on Mavericks 10.9.

I am using Mac OS X 10.7 VoodooSDHC.kext Version 1.1.2b1 to enable Ricoh SDHC MMC/SD card on Dell XPS M1530. 

Unfortunately this kext makes my XPS M1330 woke with black screen after sleep. :(

Maybe with modified AppleACPIPlatform.kext work, I try to test it later.

Bungo on the chameleon main thread has fixed a bug in chameleon v2266 responsible for incorrect CPU frequency detection (invalid multipliers used) http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/231075-chameleon-22svn-official-pkg-installer-binaries/page-92?do=findComment&comment=1970586 .

After replacing the chameleon boot file in the root folder with the one provided by Bungo, the "about this mac" screen now reports my CPU correctly @2.49GHz instead of 4.3GHz.

Edit: Previously for me on v2266, the CPU seemed to spend most of its time at max frequency. With the fixed boot file, it now steps up and down nicely.  May have the effect of improving temps at light CPU loads.

@DarwinX, I noticed you also tried the patched version by Bungo in the thread. Are you also getting lower temps?

Bungo boot_trunk2266_test.zip

• Like 1

Hi,

Due to a motherboard failure, I need to replace the one I've got from the beginning on my XPS M1330 with a new (refurbished) one found on Ebay. My old one was rev00, the new one is rev06.

Everything is working fine, however, I've got no sound anymore... Sound is working, as I was able to enable it again on my Windows 7 partition. However, I need to load a new driver on Windows, so there is some change on the sound side on the new card. I know that there is 2 motherboard types on the XPS1330. My first one works with default VoodooHDA configuration. I'm not so lucky with the second one.

Can someone with a working sound card on XPS1330 with VoodooHDA can provide me it "get dump" output ?

Thanks. 

Hi,

Due to a motherboard failure, I need to replace the one I've got from the beginning on my XPS M1330 with a new (refurbished) one found on Ebay. My old one was rev00, the new one is rev06.

Everything is working fine, however, I've got no sound anymore... Sound is working, as I was able to enable it again on my Windows 7 partition. However, I need to load a new driver on Windows, so there is some change on the sound side on the new card. I know that there is 2 motherboard types on the XPS1330. My first one works with default VoodooHDA configuration. I'm not so lucky with the second one.

Can someone with a working sound card on XPS1330 with VoodooHDA can provide me it "get dump" output ?

Thanks. 

Mine never work with VoodooHDA on speakers, I got sound on all the earphone plugs :(

I patched AppleHDA on Snow Leopard and got speakers working but never with a combination with Mic working.

Now none of the AppleHDA solutions works for me :(

I think that I'm now in the same situation than you. One question, if you do a "getdump" of your codec, what is your result ?

Have you got something like that ? Have you got codec #0 like me ?

Probing codec #0...

HDA Codec #0: Sigmatel STAC9228X

HDA Codec ID: 0x83847616

Vendor: 0x8384

Device: 0x7616

Revision: 0x02

Stepping: 0x01

PCI Subvendor: 0x02091028

startNode=1 endNode=2

Found audio FG nid=1 startNode=2 endNode=37 total=35

Processing audio FG cad=0 nid=1...

Powering up...

Parsing audio FG...

GPIO: 0xc0000003 NumGPIO=3 NumGPO=0 NumGPI=0 GPIWake=1 GPIUnsol=1

nid 10 0x0221101f as  1 seq 15 Headphones    Jack  1/8     Front   External Black   misc 0

nid 11 0x40f000f0 as 15 seq  0 Other         None  Unknown N/A     External Unknown misc 0

nid 12 0x40f000f1 as 15 seq  1 Other         None  Unknown N/A     External Unknown misc 0

nid 13 0x90170110 as  1 seq  0 Speaker       Fixed Analog  N/A     Internal Unknown misc 0 NoPresenceDetect

nid 14 0x02a11030 as  3 seq  0 Microphone    Jack  1/8     Front   External Black   misc 0

nid 15 0x02011020 as  2 seq  0 Line-out      Jack  1/8     Front   External Black   misc 0

nid 16 0x40f000f2 as 15 seq  2 Other         None  Unknown N/A     External Unknown misc 0

nid 17 0x40f000f3 as 15 seq  3 Other         None  Unknown N/A     External Unknown misc 0

nid 18 0x40f000f4 as 15 seq  4 Other         None  Unknown N/A     External Unknown misc 0

nid 19 0x90a60040 as  4 seq  0 Microphone    Fixed Digital N/A     Internal Unknown misc 0

nid 20 0x40f000f5 as 15 seq  5 Other         None  Unknown N/A     External Unknown misc 0

nid 33 0x185610a0 as 10 seq  0 Digital-out   Jack  Digital Special Internal Black   misc 0

nid 34 0x40f000f6 as 15 seq  6 Other         None  Unknown N/A     External Unknown misc 0

• Like 1

Yep, I've got 2 Dell XPS m1330 units, 1 with NVidia and 1 with Intel video.  VoodooHDA.kext will get the internal mic working but no internal speakers while a modified AppleHDA.kext does exactly the opposite. 

With VoodooHDA.kext installed my dump is your dump ...

Found a device of class VoodooHDADevice: IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/HDEF@1B/VoodooHDADevice

Probing codec #0...
 HDA Codec #0: Sigmatel STAC9228X
 HDA Codec ID: 0x83847616
       Vendor: 0x8384
       Device: 0x7616
     Revision: 0x02
     Stepping: 0x01
PCI Subvendor: 0x02091028
    startNode=1 endNode=2
    Found audio FG nid=1 startNode=2 endNode=37 total=35

Processing audio FG cad=0 nid=1...
Powering up...
Parsing audio FG...
GPIO: 0xc0000003 NumGPIO=3 NumGPO=0 NumGPI=0 GPIWake=1 GPIUnsol=1
 nid 10 0x0221101f as  1 seq 15 Headphones    Jack  1/8     Front   External Black   misc 0
 nid 11 0x40f000f0 as 15 seq  0 Other         None  Unknown N/A     External Unknown misc 0
 nid 12 0x40f000f1 as 15 seq  1 Other         None  Unknown N/A     External Unknown misc 0
 nid 13 0x90170110 as  1 seq  0 Speaker       Fixed Analog  N/A     Internal Unknown misc 0 NoPresenceDetect
 nid 14 0x02a11030 as  3 seq  0 Microphone    Jack  1/8     Front   External Black   misc 0
 nid 15 0x02011020 as  2 seq  0 Line-out      Jack  1/8     Front   External Black   misc 0
 nid 16 0x40f000f2 as 15 seq  2 Other         None  Unknown N/A     External Unknown misc 0
 nid 17 0x40f000f3 as 15 seq  3 Other         None  Unknown N/A     External Unknown misc 0
 nid 18 0x40f000f4 as 15 seq  4 Other         None  Unknown N/A     External Unknown misc 0
 nid 19 0x90a60040 as  4 seq  0 Microphone    Fixed Digital N/A     Internal Unknown misc 0
 nid 20 0x40f000f5 as 15 seq  5 Other         None  Unknown N/A     External Unknown misc 0
 nid 33 0x185610a0 as 10 seq  0 Digital-out   Jack  Digital Special Internal Black   misc 0
 nid 34 0x40f000f6 as 15 seq  6 Other         None  Unknown N/A     External Unknown misc 0
Parsing vendor patch...

-----

There has been much discussion on this issue but never a solution AFAIK.

I just settled for internal speakers with modified AppleHDA.kext and DSDT mod.

Attached is the stuff that I use, which I did NOT create so I claim ZERO credit for it.

Dell_XPSm1330_audio.zip

If anybody does figure out how to get BOTH internal speakers AND mic both going at once PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE do tell !

Oh, this I have working under ML 10.8.5.

Thanks.

I will have a look.

I've got a discussion with Slice about VoodooHDA, and  I try to provide him as much information as possible. For that, I need someone with a VoodooHDA working on an XPS 1330 for comparison. Thanks for your help :).

Yep, I've got 2 Dell XPS m1330 units, 1 with NVidia and 1 with Intel video.  VoodooHDA.kext will get the internal mic working but no internal speakers while a modified AppleHDA.kext does exactly the opposite. 

……...

There has been much discussion on this issue but never a solution AFAIK.

I just settled for internal speakers with modified AppleHDA.kext and DSDT mod.

Attached is the stuff that I use, which I did NOT create so I claim ZERO credit for it.

attachicon.gifDell_XPSm1330_audio.zip

If anybody does figure out how to get BOTH internal speakers AND mic both going at once PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE do tell !

Oh, this I have working under ML 10.8.5.

Something is missing in your patch because I got an error when compile my DSDT:

Screenshot 2013-11-24 11.00.07.png

Something is missing in your patch because I got an error when compile my DSDT:

Because he use a MCDP method by masterchief, you probably use DTGP method, more common, simply rework that patch with DTGP method or add this at your dsdt near DTGP method

Method (MCDP, 2, NotSerialized)
{
If (LEqual (Arg0, Zero))
{
Store (Buffer (One)
{
0x03
}, Arg1)
}
}

But i don't see the need to use 2 similar method, btw they together will not cause any problem ;)

• Like 1

Because he use a MCDP method by masterchief, you probably use DTGP method, more common, simple, rework that patch with DTGP method or simply add this at your dsdt near DTGP method

But i don't see the need to use 2 similar method, btw they together will not cause any problem ;)