[GUIDE] Making a DSDT.aml for Dell XPS M1330, XPS M1530, and XPS M1730

immo

2,030 posts in this topic

Upgraded to Mavericks (10.9) using the AppleRTC.kext 2.0 from DarwinX (as well as the voodoo kexts and the FakeSMC), the AppleACPIPlatform.kext from SQeek, and the rc.local file from indiandragon... So far, everything seems to be running fine, with the exception of HDMI, which I can't test at the moment.  Sleep works, reboot works, no CMOS resets, temps are still slightly high, but I notice the fan transitioning a lot more frequently.  So far, so good!  :-)

Edit: Also having trouble with the audio output not automatically changing when headphones are plugged into the jack.  I know it used to change automatically at one time, but it doesn't anymore... not sure what's going on there.

• Like 1

I am having another issue. I have installed everything, and everything is working after first boot. Whenever I use it, I am having a kernel panic with a lot of Nvidia kext such as GeForce.kext, NVDAN50Hal.kext, NVDAResman.kext, etc.

I am having another issue. I have installed everything, and everything is working after first boot. Whenever I use it, I am having a kernel panic with a lot of Nvidia kext such as GeForce.kext, NVDAN50Hal.kext, NVDAResman.kext, etc.

Were you running stable on an earlier version of OSX or even windows? 

We might be able to narrow down the problem if you provide more info in your signature eg machine specs, OS used previously/currently, kexts installed in /System/Library/Extensions, DSDT & SMBIOS used in /Extra etc.  You should also check the kernel panic logs in /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports for more information.

Your kernel panics could possibly indicate a hardware problem such as graphics card overheating.  Can you hear your fan running periodically?  Do the freezes happen when running a particular program or randomly?

Can you provide your temps with HWMonitor or SMC Monitor app?

hey,

first of all thanks a lot for all your great guides and patches files for us to accomplish a working installation on these great notebooks. my wife bought herself a new laptop and i found this forum about the m1530 being compatible with osx 10.9 mavericks so i gave it a go. i now have the m1530 with nvidia gt 8600m with 256mb, 4gigs of ram and an intel dual core t8100.

i successfully installed mavericks and placed all the needed kexts into the installed system. so far, almost everything is working well, except a few things:

1. sometimes the laptop is booting up without a hassle and sometimes it rattles down als the text in verbose mode and at the point of switching from the text to the white boot-logo, it just stays black. i then shut down the laptop hard, restart it and if it does it again i do another restart - then it's suddenly working again - any1 knows about this strange issue and possibly has a solution for it? otherwise booting up is pure luck now.. it's 1 of 3 or 1 of 4.. :(

2. graphics performance seems in some cases good in other cases less good. the animated pop-up dock is e.g. working fluedly, minimizing windows e.g. is not that rock-solid. can this be optimized? or do i have to install some native nvidia drivers?

3. booting up only seems to work with -v -f - without it boot is stuck at a kernel panic (ioplatform... something?)

would be great if some of you could eventually help me out with these little issues ;)

edit:

screenshots made from a video off my iphone while booting and "black out" right after that line, the screen stays blacks and nothing happens anymore.

post-811282-0-46312400-1383585917_thumb.png

post-811282-0-79188400-1383585935_thumb.png

Hi,

I have revisited the VoodooHDA Codecs and realised that the version I posted in a previous post did not support Autodetect of headphones and microphone. I have revised those codecs in the patched 2.8.4 version and here it is. Tested with M1530 on Mavericks and Mountain Lion. 

Edit: Also having trouble with the audio output not automatically changing when headphones are plugged into the jack.  I know it used to change automatically at one time, but it doesn't anymore... not sure what's going on there.

See my version of 2.8.4 with Autodetect.

Hope it'll solve your problem.

VoodooHDA.284-RT-AutoDetect.zip

• Like 2

uhhh... another issue :( i attched my external monitor and just want to work with it... but the INTERNAL display keeps enabled, when i close the laptop... is this normal? how can i disable it?!

edit:

ok.. moved the white bar in display preferences to the external display, not it's primary... but still: how can i disable the internal screen completely? the notebook is closed and i do not (want to) use it...

hey,

first of all thanks a lot for all your great guides and patches files for us to accomplish a working installation on these great notebooks. my wife bought herself a new laptop and i found this forum about the m1530 being compatible with osx 10.9 mavericks so i gave it a go. i now have the m1530 with nvidia gt 8600m with 256mb, 4gigs of ram and an intel dual core t8100.

i successfully installed mavericks and placed all the needed kexts into the installed system. so far, almost everything is working well, except a few things:

1. sometimes the laptop is booting up without a hassle and sometimes it rattles down als the text in verbose mode and at the point of switching from the text to the white boot-logo, it just stays black. i then shut down the laptop hard, restart it and if it does it again i do another restart - then it's suddenly working again - any1 knows about this strange issue and possibly has a solution for it? otherwise booting up is pure luck now.. it's 1 of 3 or 1 of 4.. :(

2. graphics performance seems in some cases good in other cases less good. the animated pop-up dock is e.g. working fluedly, minimizing windows e.g. is not that rock-solid. can this be optimized? or do i have to install some native nvidia drivers?

3. booting up only seems to work with -v -f - without it boot is stuck at a kernel panic (ioplatform... something?)

would be great if some of you could eventually help me out with these little issues ;)

edit:

screenshots made from a video off my iphone while booting and "black out" right after that line, the screen stays blacks and nothing happens anymore.

What are your settings in org.chameleon.Boot.plist?

Try repairing permissions with disk utliity and set kernel cache to no in org.chameleon.Boot.plist using chameleon wizard.

You shouldn't need to install any nVidia drivers - the default ones should work fine.

Nothing too unusual in your screenshots.

Re how can i disable the internal screen completely? the notebook is closed and i do not (want to) use it...

Thenewone in this thread http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/293371-completely-disable-broken-laptop-screen-so-external-display-is-the-only-display/?do=findComment&comment=1961693 physically disconnected his laptop screen to solely use an external monitor....seems a bit drastic.  Don't personally use an external monitor with my machine so haven't played with the software settings.

Hi,

I have revisited the VoodooHDA Codecs and realised that the version I posted in a previous post did not support Autodetect of headphones and microphone. I have revised those codecs in the patched 2.8.4 version and here it is. Tested with M1530 on Mavericks and Mountain Lion. 

See my version of 2.8.4 with Autodetect.

Hope it'll solve your problem.

Thanks, my friend... it worked perfectly.  :-)

• Like 1

HDMI still broken... :-(

Unfortunately it is and has been for quite a while. There used to be a solution to get the Video working under Snow Leo by loading an Nvidia ROM at boot  but with no sound. The solution was too risky as it could fry the M1530 GPU (Voltage were set for a MacBook).

I have recently tried it with Mavericks and ML but in vain. It would not load the ROM (may be out of date).

To be honest, this problem has been plaguing all M1530 owners for such a long time that it is not worth the effort, at least for me.

:-(

Unfortunately it is and has been for quite a while. There used to be a solution to get the Video working under Snow Leo by loading an Nvidia ROM at boot  but with no sound. The solution was too risky as it could fry the M1530 GPU (Voltage were set for a MacBook).

I have recently tried it with Mavericks and ML but in vain. It would not load the ROM (may be out of date).

To be honest, this problem has been plaguing all M1530 owners for such a long time that it is not worth the effort, at least for me.

The length of time that a problem has been around shouldn't make it any less worth solving...  it would make my life easier in so many ways, but I don't know how to go about solving the problem...

Is any1 able and willing to provide a small package of the preferred/ best working kexts/dsdt/etc, für the m1530 and mav 10.9?

i've got an m1530 with intel core2duo 2.4ghz, marvel yukon lan interface, 4gb ram, bluetooth, nvidia geforce 8600m gt 256mb.

right actually my dell is working with 10.9, but with small issues. i assume that it's getting quite "hot" but i can't prove it since

all hwmonitors do not work. network sometimes crashes when copying larger files in my internal network. I also can't say if cpu steeping

works due to non-functional sensors. Hope you guys can help me out...

Is any1 able and willing to provide a small package of the preferred/ best working kexts/dsdt/etc, für the m1530 and mav 10.9?

i've got an m1530 with intel core2duo 2.4ghz, marvel yukon lan interface, 4gb ram, bluetooth, nvidia geforce 8600m gt 256mb.

right actually my dell is working with 10.9, but with small issues. i assume that it's getting quite "hot" but i can't prove it since

all hwmonitors do not work. network sometimes crashes when copying larger files in my internal network. I also can't say if cpu steeping

Squeek's published set is a good one to start with:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/190780-guide-making-a-dsdtaml-for-dell-xps-m1330-xps-m1530-and-xps-m1730/page-73

'm stll having issues with Sleep despite using Squeek's ACPI {latform kext.

Rgds

thanks darwinx - is this exactly the one you poste some pages earlier? or are there changes in this package?

It is the same. You will also need modified DSDT.aml and AppleACPIPlatform.kext v2.0 for the OS X 10.9 which were also posted recently.

HDMI still broken... :-(

Which HDMI (Display or Audio Out)?

In my prev post (Page 70, #1397) in this thread, I mentioned my HDMI is working - the display that is. It had been working since I can remember from SL up to now. The HDMI Audio Out is a different story. This one is not working for me either. I guess, obvious to everyone here, why would we care about the HDMI Audio Out? Because it would be convenient to send both of our Video and Audio out using the same HDMI cable. After all it is in the HDMI specs - that it carries both Video and Audio signals.

From a PlayStation, that simply works (both Video and Audio are received by the TV HDMI input port).

Here is a pic of my HDMI connection to a Toshiba 52" HD TV. You'll notice that I have a audio cable stickin' out the standard headphone out jack as a workaround to send my audio (to a hifi receiver) out. If our HDMI audio out was working then there would've been no need for this. The TV is already connected to a hifi receiver.

There are no special kext that I use for this to work, just the ones I've already posted.

HDMI-pic.zip

@SQeek: now this is strange - how come this is working for you? my hdmi (video) is not working.. i tried a hdmi-->dvi cable to my tft... nothing.

didn't test audio cuz' i don't need it. but hdmi-video would be absolutely awesome... fhd through vga is not that eye-sharp...

question is: what did you install/configure differently so that hdmi-video is working for you? :/

Here is a pic of my HDMI connection to a Toshiba 52" HD TV. You'll notice that I have a audio cable stickin' out the standard headphone out jack as a workaround to send my audio (to a hifi receiver) out. If our HDMI audio out was working then there would've been no need for this. The TV is already connected to a hifi receiver.

There are no special kext that I use for this to work, just the ones I've already posted.

Maybe because your notebook is an M1520. Mine freezes as soon I plug in the HDMI cable,

Thanks all the same.

Rgds

Maybe because your notebook is an M1520. Mine freezes as soon I plug in the HDMI cable,

Thanks all the same.

Rgds

My notebook is a M1330, it also freezes when I plug HDMI cable, even with the SQeek kexts and plist files :(

Which HDMI (Display or Audio Out)?

In my prev post (Page 70, #1397) in this thread, I mentioned my HDMI is working - the display that is. It had been working since I can remember from SL up to now. The HDMI Audio Out is a different story. This one is not working for me either. I guess, obvious to everyone here, why would we care about the HDMI Audio Out? Because it would be convenient to send both of our Video and Audio out using the same HDMI cable. After all it is in the HDMI specs - that it carries both Video and Audio signals.

From a PlayStation, that simply works (both Video and Audio are received by the TV HDMI input port).

I'm referring to the video.  Just like MacGirl, if I plug HDMI into a device, my laptop freezes.  If I try to boot with HDMI plugged in, then about halfway through the boot process (right about where it's trying to load video drivers) the boot hangs.  It would be nice if audio would work too, but not necessary.  If I can just get the video to work right, I'd be golden.

Thanks all the same.

Rgds

Sorry, it's NOT. Notice my sig - it is M1530! An older model in fact (early 2008), that's why I'm using MacBookPro3,1 in my SMBios.plist.

question is: what did you install/configure differently so that hdmi-video is working for you? :/

What I have already posted, nothing special. My S/L/E is of course (aside from the modified AppleACPIPlatform.kext) is all vanilla. I have to test upgrades on a real Mac sometimes using a external USB.

One thing I have experienced is if I use both HDMI and VGA simultaneously, of course connecting to 2 separate external displays, it locks up as well. One-at-a-time works just fine. I have also connected a DVI display using HDMI->DVI adapter and that works fine, too.