[GUIDE] Making a DSDT.aml for Dell XPS M1330, XPS M1530, and XPS M1730

immo

2,030 posts in this topic

Here is the story (successes and failures) of my very first "Hackintosh" installing Mavericks on a Dell XPS M1530...

First...the core specs of my M1530:

• 2.5GHz Core 2 Duo T9300 processor

• NVIDIA GeForce Go 8600M GT with 256MB GDDR3

• 4GB DDR2-667 SDRAM

• 200GB 7200 RPM SATA HDD with Intel Rapid Storage Technology

• 802.11a/g/n (Intel 4965)

• BIOS Version A12

I initially chose to follow the TonyMacX86 Guide (http://www.tonymacx86.com/374-[url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]-install-os-x-mavericks-any-supported-intel-based-pc.html) for its simplicity and user-friendly potential

To begin, I reset the BIOS to the factory defaults, and then:

• verified SATA Operation was set to AHCI

• turned Dynamic Acceleration OFF

• turned SpeedStep OFF

This allowed me to boot from my bootable USB (which I created using a friend's MacBook Pro) and install Mavericks with absolutely NO BOOTFLAGS NEEDED! Yay!

After the install I reset and booted again from the USB, but this time selected my hard drive with the freshly installed OS X Mavericks. I got to the desktop...hooray! Now I launched the post installation tool, I selected "Easy" option, followed by build, and then finally installed the setup to the Mavericks drive. I restarted and attempted to boot directly into the Mavericks hard drive. Kernel Panic. Restart. Safe mode. Kernel Panic. Attempt to boot from USB and select Mavericks drive. Same kernel panic. No matter what I tried...various bootflags and combinations, BIOS tweaking, etc., I couldn't get Mavericks to boot back up anymore. I couldn't even enter single user or safe mode. I resolved to just start back at the beginning and reinstall Mavericks.

Since the reinstall, I have not yet run the post installation tool from tonymac again. Anytime I have wanted to get to the desktop, I just boot from the USB and THEN select the Mavericks drive. Almost everything seems to work "ok" for a bit (including HDMI and ethernet, but not wifi), but then it will just freeze randomly and I will be forced to reset. However, something interesting and kinda cool to note is that I was actually able to re-enable Dynamic Acceleration and SpeedStep in the BIOS, and still successfully get to the Mavericks desktop without any bootflags (still having to go through the USB boot method though). I am definitely ready to get this system booting on its own and running as smoothly as possible...afterall, that IS the idea of a hackintosh! So...

Since the "Easy" option from the tonymac post installation tool clearly didn't agree with my M1530's setup, I'm in need of a new (better) option, but preferably one as user-friendly as possible, as I am definitely not the most inclined individual. By the research I've done, I know that the Intel 4965 wireless is likely not going to ever work, but everything else SHOULD work just fine.

SUMMARY: I have a fresh ("Vanilla") install of Mavericks on the M1530 system I described above, but with no bootloader, DSDT or custom kexts yet. Any advice on the best way to go from here? Is the chameleon or chimera bootloader better? And then can I simply just use someone else's DSDT who has the exact same specs as my M1530 or..?

Thanks for looking at my post and all the great work you guys do :)

SUMMARY: I have a fresh ("Vanilla") install of Mavericks on the M1530 system I described above, but with no bootloader, DSDT or custom kexts yet. Any advice on the best way to go from here? Is the chameleon or chimera bootloader better? And then can I simply just use someone else's DSDT who has the exact same specs as my M1530 or..?

Thanks for looking at my post and all the great work you guys do :)

I recommend reading the first post in this thread for some background :) .

DarwinX kindly posted the contents of his /Extra folder and the necessary kexts to be placed in /System/Library/Extensions for 10.8.5 here http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/190780-guide-making-a-dsdtaml-for-dell-xps-m1330-xps-m1530-and-xps-m1730/page-70?do=findComment&comment=1950374 (p70 post #1388 of this thread) - these will still work well in Mavericks.

Install Chameleon 2.2 r2266 from here http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/files/file/59-chameleon-22-svn/ with FileNVRAM.dylib module ticked in options to enable iMessage, Facetime etc.  Chimera doesn't come with the NVRAM module built in so iMessage fails using the "Beasts".

Copy DarwinX's dsdt.aml into your /Extra folder.  Generate a unique "Macbook Pro 5.1" SMBIOS.plist using chameleon wizard and also change org.chameleon.Boot.plist boot options (as a guide to some options, open DarwinX's org.chameleon.Boot.plist in a text editor.  Need esp to set EthernetBuiltIn=Yes, GraphicsEnabler=Yes).

Install the following kexts in S/L/E folder with kext wizard after deleting AppleRTC.kext, AppleHDA.kext and AppleSmartBatteryManager.kext first:

NB AppleACPIPlatform.kext does not have to be replaced with an earlier version for Mavericks to boot, unlike 10.8.5 and before.  Edit: However regression with AppleACPIPlatform.kext from http://www.osx86.net/files/file/92-appleacpiplatformkext-for-os-x-109/ (thanks SQeek!) is necessary to prevent sleep issues in XPSm1530 systems (rebooting on second sleep).

Out of habit, I repair permissions with disk utility and boot chameleon with -v -f flags before the initial boot into OSX.

Once booted into OSX, I change hibernate mode to "suspend to RAM only" to enable sleep ie open terminal and type

sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0 .

Hope this helps.

• Like 2

@itchy8, @thenewone, the stock Intel 4965 AGN is NOT compatible with the OS X. You could replace it with the Dell Truemobile 1505 (Broadcom BCM4328) chipset which will be recognized as a native Airport card by the system. It is available on eBay for around $10 shipped.

Alternately, if for some reason you want to use both cards, you could put the Dell Truemobile 1505 in the WWAN slot right next to your Intel 4965 AGN which is now in the WLAN slot. Again, either card works from either slot, but only the Broadcom chipset is OS X compatible.

To begin, I reset the BIOS to the factory defaults, and then:
• verified SATA Operation was set to AHCI
• turned Dynamic Acceleration OFF
• turned SpeedStep OFF

There is no need to change any of your BIOS settings including the Dynamic Acceleration or SpeedStep, simply leave your BIOS at its default settings except perhaps the wake for USB option which should be turned OFF. Also, there is no point in constantly reseting your BIOS to defaults.

A word of advice to all, NEVER use any of TonyMacX86's stolen and pointless tools. TonyMac is a well documented trolling hack.

If you're going to use any guide, at least use a proper one such as this:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/280756-guide-the-all-in-one-guide-to-vanilla-os-x-including-chameleon-dsdt-for-beginners-updated-for-mavericks/

I have tried a rollback (AppleACPIPlatform.kext) solution to the Sleep problem on Mavericks of our rigs and it has worked flawlessly so far, at least on my hardware config (pls. see sig). BTW, this is not the rollback of AppleACPIPlatform.kext we use under 10.8.5, thus not the one from 10.6.8 either.

For reference, I have attached a .zip of my /Extra directory and the ACPI kext itself. This rollback kext can also be downloaded from this link - http://www.osx86.net/files/file/92-appleacpiplatformkext-for-os-x-109/

In addition, I also use the /usr/bin/pmset -a hibernate mode 0 incantation. Albeit, I force this in my /etc/rc.local (also attached) to load automatically at bootup. In my /Extra dir, notice that I use the UseKernelCache=No in org.chameleon.Boot.plist, thus all my user kexts are loaded from /Extra/Extensions. The FakeSMC.kext in my /E/E came form HWMonitor ver. 5.3.901.

I hope this works on others, too.

AppleACPIPlatform.kext.zip

rc.local.zip

Extra.zip

• Like 3

I have tried a rollback (AppleACPIPlatform.kext) solution to the Sleep problem on Mavericks of our rigs and it has worked flawlessly so far, at least on my hardware config (pls. see sig). BTW, this is not the rollback of AppleACPIPlatform.kext we use under 10.8.5, thus not the one from 10.6.8 either.

For reference, I have attached a .zip of my /Extra directory and the ACPI kext itself. This rollback kext can also be downloaded from this link - http://www.osx86.net/files/file/92-appleacpiplatformkext-for-os-x-109/

In addition, I also use the /usr/bin/pmset -a hibernate mode 0 incantation. Albeit, I force this in my /etc/rc.local (also attached) to load automatically at bootup. In my /Extra dir, notice that I use the UseKernelCache=No in org.chameleon.Boot.plist, thus all my user kexts are loaded from /Extra/Extensions. The FakeSMC.kext in my /E/E came form HWMonitor ver. 5.3.901.

Hi SQeek, DarwinX

First of al thanks for your Kexts. I am on Mavericks now.

I am booting OSX 10.9 GM (13A603)  from a MBR partitioned 250GB usb external drive on a Dell XPS M1530,4GB.

Bootloader Chameleon version is 2.2svn r2266.

I tried @SQeeks  AppleACPIPlatform.kext along with Extra zip files and /etc/rc.local.  The /S/L/E kexts are from @DarwinX's 10.2013 and are placed in /S/L/E.  Also, I have removed those kexts from /S/L/E which are in /Extra/Extensions.

Sleep works fine. However, Shutdown and reboot just hangs after closing all the apps.. any ideas ?

What works:

Battery Indicator works fine.

trackpad and Mouse works fine.

I haven't checked Bluetooth, HDMI, VGA out

Whats Not:

No Audio. VoodooHDA does not work. I have AppleHDAdisabler.kext  in /S/L/E.

Shutdown and reboot Hangs

Am I missing something?

I don’t have sleep problems at all, do I need to install this?

Thanks.

edit beaten :) see DarwinX's post above. 

I can also confirm sleep works again on my XPSm1530 after replacing AppleACPIPlatform.kext with regressed version from SQeek's post #1455.

You really ought to keep ALL of your kexts in the appropriate /System/Library/Extensions directory rather than the now defunct and obsoleted /Extra/Extensions directory.

For audio, give this particular VoodooHDA.kext a go: 

VoodooHDA_v284.zip

Also, ascertain that you do not have a native AppleHDA.kext loaded.

@fusion71au @SQeek @DarwinX

Thank you so much guys! Up and running now...and its wonderful!

A few minor things..."About This Mac" shows my processor as 4.3 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo...but I know its only 2.5 GHz (T9300)...is this a problem or can it be changed to reflect the true details? Its not like its actually over clocking my CPU though right?

Sound isn't working yet...will try the other VoodooHDA that DarwinX just posted. EDIT: works with that VoodooHDA_v2.8.4...thanks Darwin!

And then for better graphics performance...I think I remember seeing something about DarwinX editing the AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext? Is this something I can do? If so, how would I go about it? Is it as simple as swapping out for the same edited kext DarwinX made, or does it have to be tailored to my specific specs/IDs?

Thanks again guys! I REALLY appreciate all your help! I am so stoked right now!!!

the stock Intel 4965 AGN is NOT compatible with the OS X. You could replace it with the Dell Truemobile 1505 (Broadcom BCM4328) chipset which will be recognized as a native Airport card by the system. It is available on eBay for around $10 shipped.

I am having trouble finding the Broadcom BCM4328, but I'm finding lots of Broadcom BCM4321...will the BCM4321 work?

@fusion71au @SQeek @DarwinX

Thank you so much guys! Up and running now...and its wonderful!

A few minor things..."About This Mac" shows my processor as 4.3 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo...but I know its only 2.5 GHz (T9300)...is this a problem or can it be changed to reflect the true details? Its not like its actually over clocking my CPU though right?

Sound isn't working yet...will try the other VoodooHDA that DarwinX just posted. EDIT: works with that VoodooHDA_v2.8.4...thanks Darwin!

And then for better graphics performance...I think I remember seeing something about DarwinX editing the AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext? Is this something I can do? If so, how would I go about it? Is it as simple as swapping out for the same edited kext DarwinX made, or does it have to be tailored to my specific specs/IDs?

Thanks again guys! I REALLY appreciate all your help! I am so stoked right now!!!

You're welcome :)

I have the same result with  "About This Mac" showing CPU speed as 4.3GHz in both 10.8.5 and 10.9.  As far as I can see, it is just a cosmetic issue as HWMonitor shows the max speed correctly as 2.49 Ghz. Edit chameleon bug in v2266 caused incorrect multipliers to be used http://www.insanelym...92#entry1970586 - patched boot file fixes this, thanks Bungo.

The AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext edit was actually discovered by Indiandragon a few pages back.  This post explains how to actually edit the plist file inside the kext - http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/190780-guide-making-a-dsdtaml-for-dell-xps-m1330-xps-m1530-and-xps-m1730/page-68?do=findComment&comment=1924293

He recently uploaded the edit for the AGPM in 10.9 here http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/190780-guide-making-a-dsdtaml-for-dell-xps-m1330-xps-m1530-and-xps-m1730/page-72?do=findComment&comment=1958070 so if you want to use it, delete the existing AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext in /S/L/E and replace with the patched one using kext wizard (best practice necessitates making a copy of the original kext somewhere so you can restore if necessary).

The edit is designed for the MacBookPro5.1 SMBIOS which Indiandragon, DarwinX and I all use for our machines.

Not sure about the BCM4321.  According to this forum post, it works http://forum.osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/1829-rebranding-broadcom-bcm4321-solved/ but versions may differ....I personally use an ASUS N10 USB for wifi and it works fine in OSX and Windows (albeit it needs its own Wireless Network Utility to activate the card, unlike native airport).

• Like 1

The Sleep mode under the 10.9 appears to be fully functional now with the replacement of the following AppleACPIPlatform.kext provided by SQeek:

attachicon.gifAppleACPIPlatform.kext-v2.0.zip

Thank You, SQeek  :thumbsup_anim:

Thanks for the "seal of approval", DarwinX. Glad to see it worked.

Whats Not:

No Audio. VoodooHDA does not work. I have AppleHDAdisabler.kext  in /S/L/E.

Shutdown and reboot Hangs

Am I missing something?

You may have missed manually rebuilding your cache (UseKernelCache=no). I set it up this way because I plug in my USB into a real Mac from time-to-time and I want to keep my /S/L/E as much "Apple (no hack)" as possible. Also make sure that your kext permissions (specially in the /E/E) are correct - sudo chown -R root:wheel *. The command to rebuild cache in /E/E is sudo kextcache -v 1 -a i386 -a x86_64 -m /Extra/Extensions.mkext /Extra/Extensions/

By the same token, to rebuild /S/L/E cache replace params (after -m) above with /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /System/Library/Extensions/

Lastly, just make sure you have up-to-date DSDT.aml file, if you are using different one than I included in the .zip file.

I have installed mavericks. Everything is working, but my problem is that after approximately 30 seconds, the screen freezes. When it freezes, I can see a letter "p" at the upper left corner of the screen. Does it mean it's a kernel panic? I can't see what's causing.

@Squeek,

Thanks for sharing all your Files/kexts and …. your sensitive system information.

For security reasons, I would not post your nvram..Plist file the last 12 digits of which constitute the MAC address of your NIC (in the file name). The Nvram Plist file is auto generated and is of no use in another system.

Also, you ought to edit the serial number in your SMBIOS. 

Best reagrds,

• Like 2

I am having trouble finding the Broadcom BCM4328, but I'm finding lots of Broadcom BCM4321...will the BCM4321 work?

Absolutely, the Broadcom BCM4321 is the same as the Dell Truemobile 1505 which is identified by the OS X as a native Airport card.

Here is a sample listing for it on Amazon for $11 shipped: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A2G4ZN0/sr=8-1/qid=1383135659/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&qid=1383135659&seller=&sr=8-1

Hi,

I have problem with instalation of 10.9, It loads files, and right after it reboots (don't know why), installation of 10.8 was ok. Now I have 10.8.2 on Dell XPS M1530.

What version of chameleon are you using?  Try ver 2.2 r2266 from here http://www.insanelym...ameleon-22-svn/  (earlier versions may not work with Mavericks).

Also try booting with -v -f flags to see what is going on and load all kexts.

Hi,

I have problem with instalation of 10.9, It loads files, and right after it reboots (don't know why), installation of 10.8 was ok. Now I have 10.8.2 on Dell XPS M1530.

Hi,

This is symptomatic of the 'Boot1h' not initialised in track 0 of your install partition. I don't know what your setup is but you should be able to write to it using Terminal after booting from your install disk (Check Chameleon manual installation instructions). 

If you have another OS X installation running, use Chameleon wizard and select 'Update' then Tick the 'Update more boot loader files..' box. Make sure you select the right Target partition at the bottom, i.e. the one you installed Mavericks to.

Regards

• Like 1

You really ought to keep ALL of your kexts in the appropriate /System/Library/Extensions directory rather than the now defunct and obsoleted /Extra/Extensions directory.

For audio, give this particular VoodooHDA.kext a go: 

attachicon.gifVoodooHDA_v284.zip

Also, ascertain that you do not have a native AppleHDA.kext loaded.

Thanks for the quick response. I had all my kexts earlier in /S/L/E.

The reason I tried SQeek way of distributing kexts was because, my PS2controller was not getting loaded. Now it loads in /Extra/Extensions, maybe a timing issue.

Regarding the Audio, I am using VoodooHDA version 2.8.4.

However it is not loading automatically either in /S/L/E or in /Extra/Extensions.

Manual load of VoodooHDA works absolutely fine.

Users-MacBook-Pro:Extensions sudoadmin$ sudo kextload VoodooHDA.kext

Password:

Also AppleHDA is not getting loaded.

Users-MacBook-Pro:Extensions sudoadmin$ kextstat | grep HDA

118    0 0xffffff7f822e4000 0x21000    0x21000    org.voodoo.driver.VoodooHDA (2.8.4) <117 11 7 5 4 3>

List of Voodoo kexts.

Users-MacBook-Pro:Extensions sudoadmin$ kextstat | grep oodoo

29    0 0xffffff7f82202000 0xa000     0xa000     org.voodoo.driver.PS2Controller (1.1.0) <10 7 5 4 3 1>

52    0 0xffffff7f82261000 0x4000     0x4000     org.voodoo.driver.PS2Keyboard (1.1.0) <32 5 4 3>

53    0 0xffffff7f82265000 0xd000     0xd000     org.voodoo.driver.PS2Trackpad (1.1.0) <32 5 4 3>

118    0 0xffffff7f822e4000 0x21000    0x21000    org.voodoo.driver.VoodooHDA (2.8.4) <117 11 7 5 4 3>

Users-MacBook-Pro:Extensions sudoadmin$

Also Reboot and Shutdown hang no-longer occurs, after regenerating the kextcache again using kext-wizard. :) .

Strange,  if I fix permissions using Diskutility the problem of hang reoccurs. :(

Hi Guys,

The sound on the M1530 has been doing my head in  for a while now, particularly the microphone input. I have managed to find a patch for VoodooHDA version 2.8.4 based on Slice's work on another site. I have patched the kext and tested it. It seems to have all the inputs/outputs for the M1530. The internal microphone works OK but still not very sensitive. However, I tested an external microphone and that works perfectly. You may want to use headphones/mic.  for applications such as Skype. 

The HDMI input remains untested (any feedback would be appreciated)

Hope you'll find it useful.

Regards,

P.S. I have used an installer which included Prefpane and all, then intalled the VoodooHDA kext.

Edit: This version does not support Auto-Detect of Headphones and mic. See later version below.

VoodooHDA.284_RT.zip