[GUIDE] Making a DSDT.aml for Dell XPS M1330, XPS M1530, and XPS M1730

immo

2,030 posts in this topic

windows 8 or win7 x64 might be able to be done if ive read correct.

I run windows 7 x64, so this next month when I get a new HDD I may do a clean install and then transfer files over for both systems on a GPT.  I'll just have to read up a bit about partitioning.  

I have a Dell XPS M1530, as you may recall when we discussed me downloading the zip file you posted of the same name...  ;)  BIOS A12

Edit: and as i look closely at your signature I see you have the same model, running on GPT.  So then my question becomes: Is it possible to do a dual boot of Windows 7 and 10.8.4 on a GPT drive?

The short answer is yes.  I run OSX 10.8.4 on my XPSm1530 on a GPT partitioned drive and dual boot with Windows 7 X64.  When you create a FAT partition using disk utility (or bootcamp assistant) for installing Windows, essentially a "hybrid" mbr is created by DU/bootcamp- see http://www.rodsbooks.com/gdisk/hybrid.html .  This is a nonstandard way of partitioning introduced by Apple to allow dual boot bootcamp setups (the standard GPT partition scheme has a "protective" mbr that tells legacy programs not to interfere with the disk). 

With a hybrid mbr, the disk appears as a "normal" mbr disk to Windows and as long as there are no more than a total of 4 primary partitions, Windows 7 installs normally.  You can check the presence a hybrid with the GDisk utility available here http://sourceforge.net/projects/gptfdisk/ .

As an aside, Windows 8 has the ability to natively install on pure GPT disks (with protective mbr instead of hybrid mbr) which can directly boot via efi -tested this on my mac mini late 2012.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

The 10.8.5 update necessitates the usual AppleACPIPlatform.kext rollback to the version 1.3.6.

The AppleSmartBatteryManager.kext is also updated and requires a replacement.

The AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext requires patching.

AppleACPIPlatform.kextv1.3.6.zip

AppleSmartBatteryManager.kextv1.33.zip

AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext.zip

• Like 2

The 10.8.5 update necessitates the usual AppleACPIPlatform.kext rollback to the version 1.3.6.

The AppleSmartBatteryManager.kext is also updated and requires a replacement.

The AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext requires patching.

attachicon.gifAppleACPIPlatform.kextv1.3.6.zip

attachicon.gifAppleSmartBatteryManager.kextv1.33.zip

attachicon.gifAppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext.zip

DarwinX, Interesting - "Still waiting for root device " after 10.8.5 update . Never had I my laptop struck with this. Has 10.8.5 , running on MBR partition with AHCI mode. Investigating further, let me know if you've have any suggestion.

DarwinX, Interesting - "Still waiting for root device " after 10.8.5 update . Never had I my laptop struck with this. Has 10.8.5 , running on MBR partition with AHCI mode. Investigating further, let me know if you've have any suggestion.

According to Sampledi:

"Some users that are replacing AppleACPIPlatform.kext & IOPCIFamily.kext in order to have working hack, will have problem booting after 10.8.5 update (still waiting for root device). Situation is similar to this one I explained in Mavericks thread http://www.insanelym...no-hard-drives/ If you boot in verbose mode you'll see that problem comes from AppleAHCIPort.kext (failed to load), so you'll have to roll back that kext too."

Reference post:             #83            

AppleAHCIPort.kext.zip

• Like 2

Just want to confirm a successful install of 10.8.5 on my xpsm1530 today from the combo update. Same procedure as 10.8.4. Before rebooting the computer after the update finishes,

• Replace AppleACPIPlatform.kext ver 1.8 with ver 1.3.6
  • Replace AppleHDA.kext ver 2.4.7 with ver 1.7.4a1 or voodooHDA ver 2.8.4
  • Patched AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext ver 100.13.12

from S/L/E. I used kext wizard to reinstall the older kexts (this repairs permissions etc), then rebooted chameleon with -v -f flags.  I did not need to replace IOPCIFamily.kext or AppleAHCIPort.kext with older versions.

• Like 1

The short answer is yes.  I run OSX 10.8.4 on my XPSm1530 on a GPT partitioned drive and dual boot with Windows 7 X64.  When you create a FAT partition using disk utility (or bootcamp assistant) for installing Windows, essentially a "hybrid" mbr is created by DU/bootcamp- see http://www.rodsbooks.com/gdisk/hybrid.html .  This is a nonstandard way of partitioning introduced by Apple to allow dual boot bootcamp setups (the standard GPT partition scheme has a "protective" mbr that tells legacy programs not to interfere with the disk). 

With a hybrid mbr, the disk appears as a "normal" mbr disk to Windows and as long as there are no more than a total of 4 primary partitions, Windows 7 installs normally.  You can check the presence a hybrid with the GDisk utility available here http://sourceforge.net/projects/gptfdisk/ .

As an aside, Windows 8 has the ability to natively install on pure GPT disks (with protective mbr instead of hybrid mbr) which can directly boot via efi -tested this on my mac mini late 2012.

So, to go a little further with this... I created a FAT partition with diskutility, but Windows installer still sees it as GPT.  I looked at GDisk, and started the process to create hybrid MBR, but it wanted to create an EFI partition, and I *already have* an EFI partition from when Diskutil first set up my partitions.  That scared me a bit, so I stopped.  Not sure where to go from here, but I need to get Windows 7 installed soon!

Edit: need to update my sig... I'm on 10.8.5 now.

UPDATE:  So I figured out why it wasn't working... I hadn't saved my hybrid information before exiting.  However, after that was done and Windows 7 was installed I realized I couldn't get to Chameleon anymore.  I'm reading on how to get it back, but so far no success.

So, to go a little further with this... I created a FAT partition with diskutility, but Windows installer still sees it as GPT.  I looked at GDisk, and started the process to create hybrid MBR, but it wanted to create an EFI partition, and I *already have* an EFI partition from when Diskutil first set up my partitions.  That scared me a bit, so I stopped.  Not sure where to go from here, but I need to get Windows 7 installed soon!

Edit: need to update my sig... I'm on 10.8.5 now.

UPDATE:  So I figured out why it wasn't working... I hadn't saved my hybrid information before exiting.  However, after that was done and Windows 7 was installed I realized I couldn't get to Chameleon anymore.  I'm reading on how to get it back, but so far no success.

Hi Lulighttec, 

Chameleon should still be there but after Windows has installed, it is overridden by the Windows 7 bootloader.

I assume you now have Windows 7 installed in mbr mode on your hybrid mbr disk alongside your OSX install.   To dual boot with OSX using the Windows 7 bootloader, you can install EasyBCD in Windows 7 (link to download  http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/OS-Enhancements/EasyBCD.shtml ). 

To create on OSX entry in the Windows 7 boot menu,

• Open EasyBCD and click "Add New Entry" button on left
  • Click on the "Mac" tab under "Operating Systems", change the name to whatever you like eg "OSX Mountain Lion" and then select "MBR" for mode and click "Add Entry"
  • Click on the "Edit Boot Menu" button on the left and tick which OS you want to boot by default.  The timeout option can be changed to say 3 seconds to allow reasonable time to choose which OS to boot (if different to default).  Finally click "Save Settings"

When you reboot the computer, selecting the OSX entry from the Windows 7 bootloader should now chainload chameleon and you should now be able to boot OSX as per normal.

Hope this helps

PS When I originally partitioned my disk, I used DU from OSX 10.8.0 and a hybrid mbr was created when adding a FAT partition for Windows.  Newer versions of Mountain Lion (possibly 10.8.3 and later) may create a pure GPT layout with DU/Bootcamp, since with the advent of Windows 8, Windows can boot from a pure GPT disk eg using bootcamp on a MacBook Air 2013, you can only install Windows in EFI mode - see http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1600147 .

Hi Lulighttec, 

Chameleon should still be there but after Windows has installed, it is overridden by the Windows 7 bootloader.

I assume you now have Windows 7 installed in mbr mode on your hybrid mbr disk alongside your OSX install.   To dual boot with OSX using the Windows 7 bootloader, you can install EasyBCD in Windows 7 (link to download  http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/OS-Enhancements/EasyBCD.shtml ). 

To create on OSX entry in the Windows 7 boot menu,

• Open EasyBCD and click "Add New Entry" button on left
  • Click on the "Mac" tab under "Operating Systems", change the name to whatever you like eg "OSX Mountain Lion" and then select "MBR" for mode and click "Add Entry"
  • Click on the "Edit Boot Menu" button on the left and tick which OS you want to boot by default.  The timeout option can be changed to say 3 seconds to allow reasonable time to choose which OS to boot (if different to default).  Finally click "Save Settings"

When you reboot the computer, selecting the OSX entry from the Windows 7 bootloader should now chainload chameleon and you should now be able to boot OSX as per normal.

Hope this helps

PS When I originally partitioned my disk, I used DU from OSX 10.8.0 and a hybrid mbr was created when adding a FAT partition for Windows.  Newer versions of Mountain Lion (possibly 10.8.3 and later) may create a pure GPT layout with DU/Bootcamp, since with the advent of Windows 8, Windows can boot from a pure GPT disk eg using bootcamp on a MacBook Air 2013, you can only install Windows in EFI mode - see http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1600147 .

Hey Fusion,

I appreciate the tips; I had it fixed before you posted this, but I didn't have a chance (or was too sleep deprived to care) to post to the thread that I had.  I just used my original boot usb to boot into my OSX install, and then reinstalled Chameleon.  I did a GPT and then went in with Gdisk to set up a hybrid MBR for Windows to see, after which, Windows 7 was able to install.  Once I reinstalled Chameleon then everything was fine.  On to a new, but related topic.

So, there are several issues which have been plaguing me ever since installing 10.8.x.  

1.  No matter what I do, I cannot get HDMI to work.  Every time I try to connect a device to the jack, the computer freezes.  I have tried using an Nvidia rom, I have tried the Chameleon graphics injection; nothing makes a difference.

2.  I cannot restart.  The laptop will go dark, and the fans will slow down, but it will not restart.  I have to hold the power button in until it shuts off, and then turn it on again.

3.  I cannot put it to sleep, or to be more precise, I cannot wake up from sleep.  It goes to sleep just fine, but upon opening the lid, the little blue squares that flash along the media control buttons along the top of the keyboard do the chase they normally do on powerup, but the screen stays dark and nothing happens.  I have to hold in the power button and restart.  I have tried applying the darkwake fix, but upon waking everything looks fine for about a second and a half, and then it all freezes, and I have to hard shutdown/reboot.  

4.  I cannot get keychain access or messages to store my iMessage password correctly.  It causes iMessage to constantly prompt me for my password, and it does not sync with my iPhone properly.  I have noticed that hotmail frequently asks me for the password it has stored as well, as does another mail account.  I have tried all kinds of things to solve that, from creating a recovery partition using a tutorial that darwinX suggested, to keychain first aid, to whatever else i could find on the topic.  Nothing works.  This is also where formatting the disk as GPT and starting over originated.

5.  No system combo update ever says that it installs successfully.  They always say they fail, but then afterwards, they are installed.  I'm confused about that one, since before 10.8.x they would install successfully.  I'd have to change some kexts afterwards, but at least they looked like they did the right thing.

New issue:

1.  Recently, (I'm not exactly sure when, but fairly recently... perhaps after successfully updating to 10.8.4 which would have been in July or August) whenever I plug in or unplug the power cord, it makes the computer freeze within a second after doing so.  I must do a hard reboot after that.  That gets really annoying.

So, I will do whatever analysis I need to and post logs and everything else; just please, someone help me with this!  Some of these things I've been trying to beat for over a year or longer, and it's frustrating.  This last time I installed, I installed the 10.8.5 update on a clean blank drive, and then only after it had installed, did I restore some of my backed up programs and files from TimeMachine.  I am using Kozlek's FakeSMC plugin, and the DSDT that DarwinX posted as correct for my laptop.  Pretty much, if DarwinX posted it in this thread and said it was what was necessary for the XPS M1530, I downloaded it, cleaned out whatever old version I had, and replaced it with his stuff.  I'd like to play with Mavericks sometime in the future, but I'd really like to get these issues worked out first, especially because I can't figure out where they are coming from.

Thanks in advance,

LULightTec

Hey Fusion,

I appreciate the tips; I had it fixed before you posted this, but I didn't have a chance (or was too sleep deprived to care) to post to the thread that I had.  I just used my original boot usb to boot into my OSX install, and then reinstalled Chameleon.  I did a GPT and then went in with Gdisk to set up a hybrid MBR for Windows to see, after which, Windows 7 was able to install.  Once I reinstalled Chameleon then everything was fine.  On to a new, but related topic.

So, there are several issues which have been plaguing me ever since installing 10.8.x.  

1.  No matter what I do, I cannot get HDMI to work.  Every time I try to connect a device to the jack, the computer freezes.  I have tried using an Nvidia rom, I have tried the Chameleon graphics injection; nothing makes a difference.

2.  I cannot restart.  The laptop will go dark, and the fans will slow down, but it will not restart.  I have to hold the power button in until it shuts off, and then turn it on again.

3.  I cannot put it to sleep, or to be more precise, I cannot wake up from sleep.  It goes to sleep just fine, but upon opening the lid, the little blue squares that flash along the media control buttons along the top of the keyboard do the chase they normally do on powerup, but the screen stays dark and nothing happens.  I have to hold in the power button and restart.  I have tried applying the darkwake fix, but upon waking everything looks fine for about a second and a half, and then it all freezes, and I have to hard shutdown/reboot.  

4.  I cannot get keychain access or messages to store my iMessage password correctly.  It causes iMessage to constantly prompt me for my password, and it does not sync with my iPhone properly.  I have noticed that hotmail frequently asks me for the password it has stored as well, as does another mail account.  I have tried all kinds of things to solve that, from creating a recovery partition using a tutorial that darwinX suggested, to keychain first aid, to whatever else i could find on the topic.  Nothing works.  This is also where formatting the disk as GPT and starting over originated.

5.  No system combo update ever says that it installs successfully.  They always say they fail, but then afterwards, they are installed.  I'm confused about that one, since before 10.8.x they would install successfully.  I'd have to change some kexts afterwards, but at least they looked like they did the right thing.

New issue:

1.  Recently, (I'm not exactly sure when, but fairly recently... perhaps after successfully updating to 10.8.4 which would have been in July or August) whenever I plug in or unplug the power cord, it makes the computer freeze within a second after doing so.  I must do a hard reboot after that.  That gets really annoying.

So, I will do whatever analysis I need to and post logs and everything else; just please, someone help me with this!  Some of these things I've been trying to beat for over a year or longer, and it's frustrating.  This last time I installed, I installed the 10.8.5 update on a clean blank drive, and then only after it had installed, did I restore some of my backed up programs and files from TimeMachine.  I am using Kozlek's FakeSMC plugin, and the DSDT that DarwinX posted as correct for my laptop.  Pretty much, if DarwinX posted it in this thread and said it was what was necessary for the XPS M1530, I downloaded it, cleaned out whatever old version I had, and replaced it with his stuff.  I'd like to play with Mavericks sometime in the future, but I'd really like to get these issues worked out first, especially because I can't figure out where they are coming from.

Thanks in advance,

LULightTec

Strangely, I'm experiencing NONE of your reported issues. Perhaps, there may be something terribly wrong with your OS X installation. So, rather than attempting to resolve each issue on their own, I could simply upload all of my current OS X kexts, plists and DSDT which are and have been in the state of constant evolution. Again, my OS X 10.8.5 installation is incredibly stable, fast and cool and as we have nearly identical hardware, I am concluding that proper file substitution on your end should resolve your issues. Unless, of course, our single point of difference which is your Windows installation is somehow interfering with the stability of your OS X installation.

Side note: I never use HDMI on my laptop, so I do not know if it is at all functional. I always successfully update the OS X via the App Store and never use combo updates at all. Also, I use Slice's FakeSMC HWSensor branch which is far more compatible with our particular hardware.

Use the following files on a fresh OS X installation:

XPS M1530 - 10.2013.zip

1. Install extensions strictly into the /System/Library/Extensions directory via the included Kext Wizard.app. (Grey labeled kexts are optional, blue labeled kexts are necessary).

NEVER install any extensions into the /Extra/Extensions or any other root directory!

2. Install the latest Chameleon boot loader as well as the FileNVRAM.dylib (iMessage/FaceTime) via the included Chameleon Wizard.app.

3. Generate and insert a unique MacBookPro5,1 serial number into your SMBios.plist via the included Chameleon Wizard.app.

DO NOT forget to edit your org.chameleon.Boot.plist accordingly (notably, the Default Partition value).

4. For the ACPIBatteryManager.kext remove the outdated AppleSmartBatteryManager.kext.

For the VoodooHDA.kext remove the native AppleHDA.kext or preferably install the AppleHDADisabler.kext.

5. Ensure that there are no other extension conflicts within your extensions directory.

6. Repair Disk Permissions via Disk Utility.app then reboot.

NOTE: DO NOT use the Migration Assistant.app to transfer or migrate any files or settings at all!

Also, abstain from the use of any, especially outdated, desktop virtualization products (Parallels/VMware) as they tend to interfere with power management. 

• Like 1

Side note: I never use HDMI on my laptop, so I do not know if it is at all functional.

Any possibility of you testing it for me? :-)

I always successfully update the OS X via the App Store and never use combo updates at all.

So my current problem is, after wiping the OSX partition clean, I reinstalled what I thought was 10.8.5 from a thumb drive, but it didn't install successfully, or so it said. I still have my old drive with my old installation in an enclosure on USB, so I was able to boot into that, and use the Kext Wizard to install the kexts you included and fix permissions pretty easily (I made sure I knew which partition they were installing to as well). I also used it to go ahead and install chameleon on the new drive. I was quite astonished when I rebooted, and discovered what I had installed was 10.8.4. I remembered your post which I quoted above, and it made me wonder how you download these updates and then install them separately.

Also, I use Slice's FakeSMC HWSensor branch which is far more compatible with our particular hardware.

I assume that is what you included in your upload.

Thanks, by the way, for taking the time to do the upload. I appreciate all the help I get from you guys and girls, even though I might seem kinda whiney at times. :-) This is going to be a time consuming process for me, but I've often wondered if starting fresh would be the better choice. Interesting thing to note: since doing an install without migrating anything, the problem with the power connector freezing the computer has gone away. I'm not sure if that is related to 10.8.4, or something wonky in the time machine backup. I did a little looking and I realized that it's possible to exclude all the system files and folders from time machine backups (only backup personal documents, and applications). Perhaps that is a better option in the future? Also, for a while (when booting off the thumb drive) the restart worked fine. Now it doesn't. Must be something related to chameleon or the org.chameleon.Boot.plist. In that same frame of thought, is it necessary to enable the C-states in the .plist? I was under the impression it was if I wanted my computer to be able to use them.

Side note: I never use HDMI on my laptop, so I do not know if it is at all functional.

At least for me HDMI does not work under Mountain Lion, when I connect the TV or a monitor it freezes, it worked with Leopard, though.

External monitor connected to the VGA works.

At least for me HDMI does not work under Mountain Lion, when I connect the TV or a monitor it freezes, it worked with Leopard, though.

External monitor connected to the VGA works.

This is exactly how it is for me

A new interesting thing has started happening since this new install: the bar in the top right, where the clock is, has started to disappear and reappear, repeatedly, as if it is constantly reloading... thoughts?

Edit: the reloading bar went away after a successful install of 10.8.5 downloaded from Apple update instead of through the appstore.app. Also, the laptop seems to be restarting just fine, but it does not go to sleep when I close the lid. If I choose sleep from the system menu, it goes to sleep, but then it doesn't wake up, or more precisely, doesn't wake up completely. It follows the pattern I mentioned a few posts earlier.

FYI: I have just installed the OS X 10.9 Mavericks which is running beautifully and requires even less modifications than all the previous OS X iterations. 

The installation procedure is very simple and nearly identical to that of 10.7 and 10.8.

The real good news for our hardware is that the AppleACPIPlatform.kext no longer requires regression!

So, the only required kexts are FakeSMC.kext, ACPIBatteryManager.kext, VoodooPS2Controller.kext and VoodooHDA.kext which can be found in my recent thread upload.

Additionally, I have also inserted my graphics card info into the AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext

• Like 3

FYI: I have just installed the OS X 10.9 Mavericks which is running beautifully and requires even less modifications than all the previous OS X iterations. 

The installation procedure is very simple and nearly identical to that of 10.7 and 10.8.

The real good news for our hardware is that the AppleACPIPlatform.kext no longer requires regression!

So, the only required kexts are FakeSMC.kext, ACPIBatteryManager.kext, VoodooPS2Controller.kext and VoodooHDA.kext which can be found in my recent thread upload.

Additionally, I have also inserted my graphics card info into the AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext

that is exciting!  I was worried about Mavericks not working with our hardware...

Do you think using the darkwake fix will take care of the sleeping problem?  Do you have that sleeping problem?

that is exciting!  I was worried about Mavericks not working with our hardware...

Do you think using the darkwake fix will take care of the sleeping problem?  Do you have that sleeping problem?

Under the 10.9 GM, the Sleep state triggers an instant reboot and a CMOS reset.

Upon the AppleRTC.kext regression, a CMOS reset no longer occurs and yet the system either refuses to wake up, wakes up to a black screen or reboots with the DarkWake=0 entry in the org.chameleon.Boot.plist. And now, neither my laptop nor I can sleep.    :wallbash: Does anyone have any Ideas?

Under the 10.9 GM, the Sleep state triggers an instant reboot and a CMOS reset.

Upon the AppleRTC.kext regression, a CMOS reset no longer occurs and yet the system either refuses to wake up, wakes up to a black screen or reboots with the DarkWake=0 entry in the org.chameleon.Boot.plist. And now, neither my laptop nor I can sleep.    :wallbash: Does anyone have any Ideas?

didn't mean to cause you either a literal or figurative sleeping problem.... :-/ the only thing I can think of is if it is causing a reboot, then you can force chameleon to boot from the wake image, but that isn't ideal...  when you talk about a CMOS reset, can you be more specific?  I had a very strange occurrence where I had flashed my bios to a newer version, and then seemingly of its own accord it reverted back to the original.  

Starting with the 10.8.5, due to the way the IOkit matches PCI devices for drivers using IONameMatch, the CPU temperatures have gone up a few degrees.

To remedy that, the DSDT.aml must have an additional key/value pair to set "name" added to the device-id injections.

So far, I have successfully added the appropriate _DSM methods to both Device (LPCB) and Device (SATA) in order to lower the CPU temperatures.

However, additional patching might be required upon my further research of this matter.

XPS M1530 DSDT - 10.2013.zip

• Like 2

Just want to share a little variation on my rig's setup...

- My HDMI had been working fine up to 10.9GM, although it would certainly not work if you use both HDMI and VGA at the same time (using 2 external displays). It works fine both in extended and mirrored options.

- Sleep doesn't work for me in 10.9GM as well but I choose to set my Computer Sleep to Never because of the use of an external display with the built-in display lid closed. This setting has been working fine for me since DP1.

- Except for Lion, I've always configured my Extensions to have a separate /Extra directory (enabled through the boot loader option UseKernelCache=No). Because, I use a USB drive on a real Mac for my application collaboration. The app I use has e-license and it's convenient to have the OS with it when I need to use the app on some other real mac hardware.

- Under ML, using a separate /Extra directory started working fine again after this behavior stopped working properly, without any 'coercion', under Lion. The only mod I had to do in ML was to rollback AppleACPIPlatform.kext.

- Now with 10.9GM, we don't even have to worry about the rollback. All I really had to do to complete my update was to rebuild my cache using sudo kextcache -v 1 -a i386 -a x86_64 -m /Systems/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /Systems/Library/Extensions/

I've picked up a lot of stuff not only from this thread but others as well, and am so grateful to all the hard work numerous people have put in here. Kudos to all you guys! I'm attaching files I use, although they're already available from this thread individually or otherwise.

Extra.zip

Pics.zip

• Like 1

does AppleRTC still need binary patch?

The native 10.9 AppleRTC.kext causes a CMOS chip reset upon wake from sleep requiring regression or binary patching.

LatinMcG, since you are the official DSDT expert on this thread, would you mind completing the necessary DSDT modifications relating to the high CPU temperatures in the 10.8.5?

didn't mean to cause you either a literal or figurative sleeping problem.... :-/ the only thing I can think of is if it is causing a reboot, then you can force chameleon to boot from the wake image, but that isn't ideal...  when you talk about a CMOS reset, can you be more specific?  I had a very strange occurrence where I had flashed my bios to a newer version, and then seemingly of its own accord it reverted back to the original.  

My apologies for the belated reply. You didn't, I've been trying to fix the Sleep mode under the 10.9 GM ever since I installed it. 

In my previous experience, forcing the Chameleon to boot from the wake image corrupted the entire installation.

CMOS chip reset is triggered upon wake from sleep resulting in an instant reboot, BIOS reset, long initial boot up process accompanied by a onboard speaker tone.

im not 100% sure if i can do it all as i dont have maverics ..i have to dload install to test in inspiron 1520 nvidia .. has a broken screen ( im semi retired)

likely we need ioregdump of a maverics macbook.

i do also have Lenovo T420 but its intel hd xx i think i 5 .. also broken screen (100$ for that baby anywhere i looked so waiting on a good find)

i need to to order the mini display port adapter for hdmi for it .