[GUIDE] Making a DSDT.aml for Dell XPS M1330, XPS M1530, and XPS M1730

immo

2,030 posts in this topic

Hi, so i posted in the old XPS Compilation thread, but DarwinX mentioned this thread to me :)

My problem is that my XPS M1530 with the T8100 CPU only runs at 600 mhz in Mountain Lion, instead of 2,1ghz

I tried it with severals kexts, but nothing changed :(

As our systems are nearly identical, If you use the files which I provided, this should not happen.

• 3 weeks later...

Does someone got 10.8.4 working? Does not work for me so far (reboots during startup)

I have not, but since nobody else has answered, that's the same issue I had with 10.8.3. If you haven't already, remove AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext.

See here:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/190780-guide-making-a-dsdtaml-for-dell-xps-m1330-xps-m1530-and-xps-m1730/page__st__1280#entry1897508

Does someone got 10.8.4 working? Does not work for me so far (reboots during startup)

The only roll back that the 10.8.4 update required was that of the AppleSmartBatteryManager.kext and nothing else.

AppleSmartBatteryManager.kext.zip

I have not, but since nobody else has answered, that's the same issue I had with 10.8.3. If you haven't already, remove AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext.

See here:

http://www.insanelym...80#entry1897508

Alternately, give this modified AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext a try:

AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext.zip

• Like 1

Just successfully installed 10.8.4 on my xpsm1530 today from the combo update. Same procedure as 10.8.3: Before rebooting the computer after the update finishes,

• Replace AppleACPIPlatform.kext ver 1.7 with ver 1.3.5
  • Replace AppleHDA.kext ver 2.3.7 with ver 1.7.4a1 (I don't use voodooHDA)
  • Deleted AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext ver 100.12.87

from S/L/E. You can use kext wizard to reinstall the older kexts (this repairs permissions etc), then reboot chameleon with -v -f flags.

• 2 weeks later...

AppleGraphicsPowerManagement [Version : 100.12.87] : [How to] 

Guys, this is how I got the latest AGPM kext working. I did this during 10.8.3 update and it's works fine after 10.8.4 update also. I can confirm the G states are working properly on my 8600m GT and might work on 8400m also.

I'm using MacbookPro 5,1 SMBIOS, so my AGPM edit is - 

<key>MacBookPro5,1</key>
				<dict>
					<key>LogControl</key>
					<integer>1</integer>
					<key>Vendor10deDevice0407</key>
					<dict>
						<key>BoostPState</key>
						<array>
							<integer>0</integer>
							<integer>1</integer>
							<integer>2</integer>
							<integer>3</integer>
						</array>
						<key>BoostTime</key>
						<array>
							<integer>3</integer>
							<integer>3</integer>
							<integer>3</integer>
							<integer>3</integer>
						</array>
						<key>Heuristic</key>
						<dict>
							<key>ID</key>
							<integer>0</integer>
							<key>IdleInterval</key>
							<integer>250</integer>
							<key>SensorOption</key>
							<integer>1</integer>
							<key>SensorSampleRate</key>
							<integer>4</integer>
							<key>TargetCount</key>
							<integer>1</integer>
							<key>Threshold_High</key>
							<array>
								<integer>57</integer>
								<integer>70</integer>
								<integer>88</integer>
								<integer>100</integer>
							</array>
							<key>Threshold_Low</key>
							<array>
								<integer>0</integer>
								<integer>68</integer>
								<integer>75</integer>
								<integer>100</integer>
							</array>
						</dict>
						<key>control-id</key>
						<integer>17</integer>
					</dict>
				</dict>

Console Output :

post-269203-0-56473300-1371281781_thumb.png

Attached : Modded AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext [Version: 100.12.87] for MacBookPro 5,1(8600m)

AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext.zip

• Like 4

Guys, this is how I got the latest AGPM kext working. I did this during 10.8.3 update and it's works fine after 10.8.4 update also. I can confirm the G states are working properly on my 8600m GT and might work on 8400m also.

I'm using MacbookPro 5,1 SMBIOS, so my AGPM edit is

Until now, I had forgotten and couldn't recall the originator of said AGPM patch. As the author appears to be the indiandragon, I must fully accredit him for its origination.

On a side note, patching the AGPM kext thusly versus completely deleting it does allow for smother graphics and slightly lower GPU temperatures.

---shortened---

attachicon.gif AGPM_8600m.png

Attached : Modded AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext [Version: 100.12.87] for MacBookPro 5,1(8600m)

Wow, thank you! I think this fixed the kernel panic I got when reading specific info about my GPU (like in System Profiler or iStat Menus) since I installed ML. I'm not going to revert the changes and check, so either way, I'm blaming you :). Thanks again!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi Immo, DarwinX,

I have in the past gleaned loads of helpful information from these blogs.  However, I am still stuck trying to get from 10.8.1 to anything higher.  Most recently I have tried to upgrade to 10.8.4, via combo update, but my system hangs right after:

ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::registerLPCDriver - failed to locate SMC driver

ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::registerLPCDriver - WARNING - LPC device initialization failed: C-state power management not initialized

I'm also noticing a problem with the AppleSmartBatteryManager kext not loading, because of a link failure (whatever that means), but that doesn't seem to be keeping things from loading.

My most recent steps (because I was having problems with my bootloader not displaying properly, and not changing no matter what flags I used) was to format my drive and do a clean install from 10.8.4 image on a thumbdrive.  I am using the bootloader on the thumbdrive, which is the latest version of Chameleon, and my DSDT.aml and plists are the exact ones that DarwinX most recently posted in a zip file for XPS M1530.  I was only able to get the installer to boot with -x flag, but the HDD hangs in the same place regardless of the flags used.  I have included some pictures, as well as some log files, as I have noticed more than one error during boot, but they go by so fast that it's hard for me to see them all.  Other pertinent info: this is a MBR install as I also have Windows 7 on this machine.  Immo, I plan to emulate your use of Clover as it sort of fixed my messenger issues.

Thanks in advance,

LULightTec

post-1036148-0-41467900-1374611888_thumb.jpglogs.zip

Hi Immo, DarwinX,

I have in the past gleaned loads of helpful information from these blogs.  However, I am still stuck trying to get from 10.8.1 to anything higher.  Most recently I have tried to upgrade to 10.8.4, via combo update, but my system hangs right after:

ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::registerLPCDriver - failed to locate SMC driver

ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::registerLPCDriver - WARNING - LPC device initialization failed: C-state power management not initialized

I'm also noticing a problem with the AppleSmartBatteryManager kext not loading, because of a link failure (whatever that means), but that doesn't seem to be keeping things from loading.

My most recent steps (because I was having problems with my bootloader not displaying properly, and not changing no matter what flags I used) was to format my drive and do a clean install from 10.8.4 image on a thumbdrive.  I am using the bootloader on the thumbdrive, which is the latest version of Chameleon, and my DSDT.aml and plists are the exact ones that DarwinX most recently posted in a zip file for XPS M1530.  I was only able to get the installer to boot with -x flag, but the HDD hangs in the same place regardless of the flags used.  I have included some pictures, as well as some log files, as I have noticed more than one error during boot, but they go by so fast that it's hard for me to see them all.  Other pertinent info: this is a MBR install as I also have Windows 7 on this machine.  Immo, I plan to emulate your use of Clover as it sort of fixed my messenger issues.

Thanks in advance,

LULightTec

Ignore the "ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::registerLPCDriver" log messages as we all experience it, and it has nothing to do with your kernel panic.

It appears that the AppleACPIPlatform.kext in your system is missing or failing to load. Use the following regressed AppleACPIPlatform.kext version 1.3.6 from the Snow Leopard.

The latest AppleSmartBatterManager.kext is also attached.

AppleACPIPlatform.kext.zip AppleSmartBatteryManager.kext.zip

All Messages.app issues are fully resolved by simply adding the FileNVRAM.dylib to the /Extra/Modules directory of your boot partition.

FileNVRAM.dylib.zip

the smartbatterymanager error is likely due to old no updated OS. once u update to latests it should go away

had same isue with voodoohda 2.7.2 and 10.6.0 untill i updated .. or the platform kext.

boot -v -f  to force and ignore caches.

Ignore the "ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::registerLPCDriver" log messages as we all experience it, and it has nothing to do with your kernel panic.

It appears that the AppleACPIPlatform.kext in your system is missing or failing to load. Use the following regressed AppleACPIPlatform.kext version 1.3.6 from the Snow Leopard.

The latest AppleSmartBatterManager.kext is also attached.

attachicon.gifAppleACPIPlatform.kext.zip attachicon.gifAppleSmartBatteryManager.kext.zip

All Messages.app issues are fully resolved by simply adding the FileNVRAM.dylib to the /Extra/Modules directory of your boot partition.

attachicon.gifFileNVRAM.dylib.zip

DarwinX:  Are these different than the ones you included in your zip file?  Your previous post

No, the kexts are identical. Perhaps your issue is related to the fact that you're running under the MBR. Do you have Windows 7 installed on your primary partition?

They are both Primaries, and OSX is marked as active.  In the past it hasn't been a problem.

post-1036148-0-84427300-1374691628_thumb.png

That doesn't sound right when I say it out loud, but you see what the Disk Management shows me.

They are both Primaries, and OSX is marked as active.  In the past it hasn't been a problem.

That doesn't sound right when I say it out loud, but you see what the Disk Management shows me.

What I meant to ask was if the first partition on your disk were Windows 7, which it is. Generally speaking, dual boot with Windows and OS X can be, at times, quite problematic. 

Just an FYI, your kernel log contains some abnormal NTFS driver warnings related to the invalid boot sector checksum of your Windows 7 partition.

Try booting without all of the unnecessary kexts, including the AppleYukon2.kext and AppleSmartBatteryManager.kext as the latter is preventing the rebuilding of the kernelcache. Which means that your /System/Library/Extensions directory should only contain the FakeSMC.kext without any plugins, AppleACPIPlatform.kext and VoodooPS2Controller.kext. DO NOT use the /Extra/Extensions directory at all! In your org.chameleon.Boot.plist, set the default partition string to hd(0,3) and try using the UseKernelCache=NO option.

Also, in your BIOS, ensure that the SATA operation mode is set to the default AHCI mode rather than the ATA mode.

What I meant to ask was if the first partition on your disk were Windows 7, which it is. Generally speaking, dual boot with Windows and OS X can be, at times, quite problematic. 

Just an FYI, your kernel log contains some abnormal NTFS driver warnings related to the invalid boot sector checksum of your Windows 7 partition.

Try booting without all of the unnecessary kexts, including the AppleYukon2.kext and AppleSmartBatteryManager.kext as the latter is preventing the rebuilding of the kernelcache. Which means that your /System/Library/Extensions directory should only contain the FakeSMC.kext without any plugins, AppleACPIPlatform.kext and VoodooPS2Controller.kext. DO NOT use the /Extra/Extensions directory at all! In your org.chameleon.Boot.plist, set the default partition string to hd(0,3) and try using the UseKernelCache=NO option.

Also, in your BIOS, ensure that the SATA operation mode is set to the default AHCI mode rather than the ATA mode.

BIOS is set to AHCI, and I did notice that NTFS is mounting dirty, which I will need to take care of, but actually I found the problem.  I have been booting into Single User Mode to make changes to the kexts, and in trying to mount one of the partitions, it caused the system to boot a little more than it normally would for Single User Mode, and moved past some of the other errors.  After I was done replacing kexts, and exited S.U.M., when the system tried to continue to boot, I realized that it was actually hanging right after "Waiting for DSMOS to arrive..."  I did a little research, and found that it was related to problems with FakeSMC.kext.  There was something wrong with the FakeSMC.kext that was included in your zip file.  I downloaded the latest version and used it to replaced the existing one, and it booted right up.  I'm not sure what was wrong with the one in your zip, but... well there you have it.

Now, about that NTFS partition... I should just run chkdsk on it, set to fix errors, correct?  Also, regarding messages... I put the FileNVRAM.dylib in the folder that you said to, but now messages won't let me sign in with my apple ID.  It just repeatedly asks me for my password.  Thoughts?  I haven't yet installed a bootloader on the partition, so I have options.  One other thing: I can't seem to get Chameleon to display a gui and stop giving me verbose boots, no matter what options or flags I use, or what is in the plist.

However, I am that much closer!  :-)  I am very happy right now.  And thanks for both the direct and indirect guidance!

-LULightTec

Edit: One more thing: I stopped using the Extra/extensions folder a long time ago...

Edit 2: Apparently it won't log into facebook either; settings keeps rejecting my login, even though facebook registers that I have logged in from OSX.

Edit 3: Upon reboot, OSX showed me as logged into facebook.

BIOS is set to AHCI, and I did notice that NTFS is mounting dirty, which I will need to take care of, but actually I found the problem.  I have been booting into Single User Mode to make changes to the kexts, and in trying to mount one of the partitions, it caused the system to boot a little more than it normally would for Single User Mode, and moved past some of the other errors.  After I was done replacing kexts, and exited S.U.M., when the system tried to continue to boot, I realized that it was actually hanging right after "Waiting for DSMOS to arrive..."  I did a little research, and found that it was related to problems with FakeSMC.kext.  There was something wrong with the FakeSMC.kext that was included in your zip file.  I downloaded the latest version and used it to replaced the existing one, and it booted right up.  I'm not sure what was wrong with the one in your zip, but... well there you have it.

Now, about that NTFS partition... I should just run chkdsk on it, set to fix errors, correct?  Also, regarding messages... I put the FileNVRAM.dylib in the folder that you said to, but now messages won't let me sign in with my apple ID.  It just repeatedly asks me for my password.  Thoughts?  I haven't yet installed a bootloader on the partition, so I have options.  One other thing: I can't seem to get Chameleon to display a gui and stop giving me verbose boots, no matter what options or flags I use, or what is in the plist.

However, I am that much closer!  :-)  I am very happy right now.  And thanks for both the direct and indirect guidance!

-LULightTec

Edit: One more thing: I stopped using the Extra/extensions folder a long time ago...

Edit 2: Apparently it won't log into facebook either; settings keeps rejecting my login, even though facebook registers that I have logged in from OSX.

Edit 3: Upon reboot, OSX showed me as logged into facebook.

I am glad to hear that you have managed to resolve your system issues, and yes, the chkdisk command ought to do the trick.

As far as the Messages.app, did you reboot upon placing the FileNVRAM.dylib into the /Extra/Modules directory?

Also, do you have the EthernetBuiltIn=YES entry in your org.chameleon.Boot.plist

If so, then generate a new SMBios.plist serial via either the Champlist.app or the Chameleon Wizard.app then reboot

Failing that, follow this guide by the Rampage Dev:

Create a Recovery Partition And Enable All Features Of iCloud and iMessages

Removing the -v kernel flag from the org.chameleon.Boot.plist of your root partition should disable the verbose boot.

I am glad to hear that you have managed to resolve your system issues, and yes, the chkdisk command ought to do the trick.

As far as the Messages.app, did you reboot upon placing the FileNVRAM.dylib into the /Extra/Modules directory?

Yes, I have been rebooting after every step I take for the most part.

Also, do you have the EthernetBuiltIn=YES entry in your org.chameleon.Boot.plist

If so, then generate a new SMBios.plist serial via either the Champlist.app or the Chameleon Wizard.app then reboot.

Yes, I do, so I generated a new serial number, but that didn't do anything.

I read through the guide, but as it's written for those who use GPT on their drive, it doesn't work for me, because I can't create a recovery partition. iMessage recognizes my password, because when I put the wrong one in it tells me that it's the wrong password. When I put the right one in, it just keeps instantly asking for the password over and over and over and over again, ad infinitum. Before I did this upgrade, Clover seemed to have fixed it. I set it up the way that Immo did. It looked a bit strange, but otherwise seemed to be working.

Removing the -v kernel flag from the org.chameleon.Boot.plist of your root partition should disable the verbose boot.

This problem resolved itself when I installed chameleon on the drive with the appropriate flags set. I can't for the life of me figure out why on the old installation I couldn't unset that verbose flag. I tried many many times to unset it and it just wouldn't unset. Anyway, it's working now. :-)

Thanks,

LULightTec

Edit: the other thing that has never worked for me and still is not working is the restart fix. It just won't fix it. :-)

One last recommendation that I have for you is that, if possible, you would consider switching to the native GUID partition table and getting rid of the Windows entirely.   :blink:

Well, I can't get rid of Windows, but I'm not even sure that this laptop's BIOS can interact with a GPT drive properly... I may be wrong about that, but IIRC that is the case...

Well, I can't get rid of Windows, but I'm not even sure that this laptop's BIOS can interact with a GPT drive properly... I may be wrong about that, but IIRC that is the case...

I have always run OS X under GPT for superior system compatibility and hard disk manageability. What kind of laptop do you have?

I have always run OS X under GPT for superior system compatibility and hard disk manageability. What kind of laptop do you have?

I have a Dell XPS M1530, as you may recall when we discussed me downloading the zip file you posted of the same name...  ;)  BIOS A12

Edit: and as i look closely at your signature I see you have the same model, running on GPT.  So then my question becomes: Is it possible to do a dual boot of Windows 7 and 10.8.4 on a GPT drive?

I have a Dell XPS M1530, as you may recall when we discussed me downloading the zip file you posted of the same name...  ;)  BIOS A12

Edit: and as i look closely at your signature I see you have the same model, running on GPT.  So then my question becomes: Is it possible to do a dual boot of Windows 7 and 10.8.4 on a GPT drive?

I thought so, but I asked because of your earlier BIOS/GPT compatibility statement. It would help if you were to include your hardware in your forum signature.

To my knowledge, while Windows is not installable on GPT, it does recognize that format. Here is a Windows and GPT FAQ that should clarify this issue for you:

Windows and GPT FAQ