[GUIDE] Making a DSDT.aml for Dell XPS M1330, XPS M1530, and XPS M1730

immo

2,030 posts in this topic

I'm on motherboard #5 on my M1330. The only thing that is keeping this computer going is the warranty (which I have less than a year left of now, possibly extended by a year if a failure afterwards is proven to be from the defective video chip).

3rd strike.. lemmon.. exchange for better model

3rd strike.. lemmon.. exchange for better model

I probably could have gotten a new computer if I kicked and screamed, but this computer is a gift that has very high sentimental value, so I intend to use it until it won't go any further! Dell has definitely lost money on my machine.

Immo

• Like 1

1. Did anyone get working battery status? There is just a "X" there

AppleSmartBatteryManager.kext.zip

4. At OSX my XPS is getting quite hot (I have had this problem with almost all versions of OSX). Is there any solution for that? I am using a DSDT from this thread and the right smbios.plist

Open up your laptop and clean it, namely the system fan and vent.

I haven't had time to install Mountain Lion yet, but I already know the reason for #2 and #4. Defective NVidia chip. After too many heat and cool down cycles, the connections that connect the silicon to the substrate (i.e. the bumps) go brittle and crack, causing overheating and eventually failure. All of these chips are doomed to failure; it's not a question of if but when. The graphics chip heats up when you are doing something 3D intensive like playing a 3D game. The same issues occur under Windows. I'm on motherboard #5 on my M1330. The only thing that is keeping this computer going is the warranty (which I have less than a year left of now, possibly extended by a year if a failure afterwards is proven to be from the defective video chip).
AppleSmartBatteryManager.kext.zip Open up your laptop and clean it, namely the system fan and vent.

I have heard about that, but on Windwos everything is working normal. My XPS is not as hot as on OSX and I can run 3D games / application without problems.

My fans are clean :wink2: (on Windows its not getting as hot as on OSX). I have installed your kext but there is still that "X" and it says "No battery available".

Is there someone who can confirm that "About Mac Bug" I have?

Cheers

I have heard about that, but on Windwos everything is working normal. My XPS is not as hot as on OSX and I can run 3D games / application without problems.

My fans are clean :wink2: (on Windows its not getting as hot as on OSX). I have installed your kext but there is still that "X" and it says "No battery available".

Is there someone who can confirm that "About Mac Bug" I have?

Cheers

might need the nvidia plugin for FakeSMC .. nvclockx

My fans are clean :wink2: (on Windows its not getting as hot as on OSX).

Are you intuitively sensing that your system fan and its air vent is clean?

Because, unless you have recently cleaned it, or it permanently resides within the confines of a sterile lab, I assure you that it isn't clean.

I have installed your kext but there is still that "X" and it says "No battery available".

Are you using an original OS X 10.8 AppleACPIPlatform.kext v1.6?

One thing worth checking is if SpeedStep is working. I use SMCMonitor. The CPU speed should drop to 1/6 of total speed when idle. Also, iStatPro is useful for monitoring your temps (CPU and GPU). Use Slice's plugins for FakeSMC to make the readouts work (such as the nvclockx one that LatinMcG suggested, see DarwinX's post here if you haven't already: http://www.insanelym...dpost&p=1801161). If you do have the NVidia issue you will see the GPU temp idle around 70-80 degrees and approach 100 degrees under load. If it's clogged vents you'll see higher CPU temps as well.

Another thing that helps is using the 9 cell battery as opposed to the 6 cell battery, as it elevates the bottom of the computer which improves access to the bottom vents. You could probably McGuiver something to do the same thing if you don't have the 9 cell battery.

I also agree with DarwinX, open up and clean those vents! There is no reason not to.

Ambiant temperature can also be a problem if it's too warm. Where I am the temperature has been crazy hot the past couple of months, which has been causing me issues if I have the air conditioning off.

Another thing to check is if there is a process taking up your CPU with Activity Monitor. OS-X's indexing service is known to do this. It can take up a good hunck of your CPU's processing power. It does sort itself out if given enough time.

Immo

Are you intuitively sensing that your system fan and its air vent is clean?

Because, unless you have recently cleaned it, or it permanently resides within the confines of a sterile lab, I assure you that it isn't clean.

Are you using an original OS X 10.8 AppleACPIPlatform.kext v1.6?

Hi there, I have cleaned my fans (there was almost nothing to do). I am using AppleACPIPPlatform v1.6 and the updated IOPCIFamily from Netkas for ML (v2.7 ?)

One thing worth checking is if SpeedStep is working. I use SMCMonitor. The CPU speed should drop to 1/6 of total speed when idle. Also, iStatPro is useful for monitoring your temps (CPU and GPU). Use Slice's plugins for FakeSMC to make the readouts work (such as the nvclockx one that LatinMcG suggested, see DarwinX's post here if you haven't already: http://www.insanelym...dpost&p=1801161). If you do have the NVidia issue you will see the GPU temp idle around 70-80 degrees and approach 100 degrees under load. If it's clogged vents you'll see higher CPU temps as well.

Another thing that helps is using the 9 cell battery as opposed to the 6 cell battery, as it elevates the bottom of the computer which improves access to the bottom vents. You could probably McGuiver something to do the same thing if you don't have teh 9 cell battery.

I also agree with DarwinX, open up and clean those vents! There is no reason not to.

Ambiant temperature can also be a problem if it's too warm. Where I am the temperature has been crazy hot the past couple of months, which has been causing me issues if I have the air conditioning off.

Another thing to check is if there is a process taking up your CPU with Activity Monitor. OS-X's indexing service is known to do this. It can take up a good hunck of your CPU's processing power. It does sort itself out if given enough time.

Immo

Thanks, I will try it. I admit that I have never checked for speedstep since SL. On SL it was working well, so I thought it will work with Lion and ML, too.

P.S. There is no difference using the 9 cell battery.

Hi there, I have cleaned my fans (there was almost nothing to do). I am using AppleACPIPPlatform v1.6 and the updated IOPCIFamily from Netkas for ML (v2.7 ?)

Nothing in the vent either? Unfortunately, the fore mentioned AppleSmartBatteryManager.kext is incompatible with the new OS X 10.8 AppleACPIPlatform.kext v1.6.

I haven't had time to install Mountain Lion yet, but I already know the reason for #2 and #4. Defective NVidia chip. .

Hi Immo,

Good to see that you're still around. You are absolutely right about the defective chipset issue on XPS M1330. It is a well know issue with the 8400m GS GPU. This was publicised a few months after it release. Hence it is an issue with M133's mostly. That is why you'll hundreds of M1330s 'For Repair' on Fleebay.

That problem has been corrected on the 'GT' versions and therefore not applicable to M1530 based on 8600m GT.

Hope this reassures M1530 owners.

Regards

Hi guys,

Good News, I have Mt Lion running pretty well, just I'm a little worried about Speedstep working right. I haven't found a tool that will let me see if the P-states are working correctly. I also have the battery thing working too, but it will take me a little bit to remember what i did. If I remember correctly, there was a bundle of voodoobattery stuff, that had two kexts to replace, (one of which was an apple ACPI kext I think), and a reboot, and then the battery icon started working correctly. I have also noticed that my temperatures are higher in OSX as opposed to Windows 7... I don't think that my fan is running at the right speeds in OSX. I'm using the latest DSDT.aml posted on this guide, and I was in the midst of trying to create my own, and ran into some difficulties compiling it, so I'm still using the generic one. Thoughts? Suggestions? Oh, and the fan is clean...I opened the whole thing up not too long ago to check it, and it was dust free. Imagine that.

Dell XPS M1530

Intel Core2 Duo T6400 2.0 Ghz

Nvidia 8600 GT

Hi guys,

Good News, I have Mt Lion running pretty well, just I'm a little worried about Speedstep working right. I haven't found a tool that will let me see if the P-states are working correctly. I also have the battery thing working too, but it will take me a little bit to remember what i did. If I remember correctly, there was a bundle of voodoobattery stuff, that had two kexts to replace, (one of which was an apple ACPI kext I think), and a reboot, and then the battery icon started working correctly. I have also noticed that my temperatures are higher in OSX as opposed to Windows 7... I don't think that my fan is running at the right speeds in OSX. I'm using the latest DSDT.aml posted on this guide, and I was in the midst of trying to create my own, and ran into some difficulties compiling it, so I'm still using the generic one. Thoughts? Suggestions? Oh, and the fan is clean...I opened the whole thing up not too long ago to check it, and it was dust free. Imagine that.

Dell XPS M1530

Intel Core2 Duo T6400 2.0 Ghz

Nvidia 8600 GT

So I doublechecked my SMBios and it seems to be right, and I updated FakeSMC and its assorted plugins, and now my temperature and voltages are reading, and SMC Monitor shows 3 power states. It gets way too hot in OSX. I had to boot into Windows 7 to let it cool down. This leads me to believe that something isn't controlling my fan correctly. Also, I can't see/control what my fan speed is in OSX. Thoughts and suggestions?

So I doublechecked my SMBios and it seems to be right, and I updated FakeSMC and its assorted plugins, and now my temperature and voltages are reading, and SMC Monitor shows 3 power states. It gets way too hot in OSX. I had to boot into Windows 7 to let it cool down. This leads me to believe that something isn't controlling my fan correctly. Also, I can't see/control what my fan speed is in OSX. Thoughts and suggestions?

did u check with chameleon wizard or champlist the GeneratePStates and CStates.. i also used the new io method and didnt notice any difference.

try a T7200 or higher cpu.. i had t7250 and upped it to T7500 and both had fairly decent speeds and cooling on my inspiron 1520 with the 8600gt separate from cpu heatsink.= Discrete

check VT technology in bios settings.

did u check with chameleon wizard or champlist the GeneratePStates and CStates.. i also used the new io method and didnt notice any difference.

try a T7200 or higher cpu.. i had t7250 and upped it to T7500 and both had fairly decent speeds and cooling on my inspiron 1520 with the 8600gt separate from cpu heatsink.= Discrete

check VT technology in bios settings.

I really haven't the funds to go changing processors at the moment... also, I can't use the org.Chameleon.boot.plist to enable p states and cstates because I'm using the DSDT to do that. (correct me if I'm wrong there, but that's how I understood the DSDT guide) also did check BIOS settings, everything good there. Also, my heatpipe is not discrete.

Out of curiosity, does anyone have a list of the P-states for the core 2 Duo T6400? and/or the C-states?

Hi Immo,

Good to see that you're still around. You are absolutely right about the defective chipset issue on XPS M1330. It is a well know issue with the 8400m GS GPU. This was publicised a few months after it release. Hence it is an issue with M133's mostly. That is why you'll hundreds of M1330s 'For Repair' on Fleebay.

That problem has been corrected on the 'GT' versions and therefore not applicable to M1530 based on 8600m GT.

Hope this reassures M1530 owners.

Regards

Hi RN95. Sorry to disagree with you, but that's different from what I read, because even the 2008 Macbook Pros with the 8600m GT suffer the issue, and someone beat Apple in court over it not too long ago:

http://www.techspot....y-8600m-gt.html

However, the M1530 typically lasts much longer with the defective chip than the M1330 due to it's larger size and better thermal design. If you saw the piece of foam they use to attach the heat sync to the GPU in the M1330 it's just sad (there's a popular mod to replace it with a piece of copper and thermal paste), and the smaller computer size does not help.

I really haven't the funds to go changing processors at the moment... also, I can't use the org.Chameleon.boot.plist to enable p states and cstates because I'm using the DSDT to do that. (correct me if I'm wrong there, but that's how I understood the DSDT guide) also did check BIOS settings, everything good there. Also, my heatpipe is not discrete.

Out of curiosity, does anyone have a list of the P-states for the core 2 Duo T6400? and/or the C-states?

does anyone use the dsdt cpu mod anymore ?? most use the GeneratePStates.. also that dsdt is pre Device (PCI0) _UID missing discovery.

Well up running successfully on Mountain Lion finally! I used AppleACPIPlatform.kext 1.3.5, vanilla IOPCIFamily.kext, and FakeSMC 4.0 svn r570 suggested by DarwinX. My temps appear to be similar to what they were in Lion (i.e. high :( )

One thing I noticed, on bootup, NVClockX gave a message "Applying Overclock". The last thing I want to do is overclock the GPU in this poor machine! From what I understand NVClockX allows overclocking, but it also required to get the GPU temperature readout (which is something I really can't do without). Any idea if it actually applies an overclock, and if so how to change it or get rid of it? Could this be related to maximus1 and lulighttec's problem? I could probably use it to my advantage to actually downclock the CPU to keep the heat in check. P.S. my temps seem roughly the same as before.

About the P and C states conversation... Mine is just running with the C/P states built into the bios, but back in the day the DSDT way did work quite well. I think it's something worth experimenting with, although the GeneratePStates would sure be simpler.

Immo

Maximus1, Lulighttec, try removing NVClockX. I suspect it's overclocking our GPUs and it's generating too much heat! I've done it on mine and my computer seems to be running much cooler. I can't tell you what the GPU temperature is because you lose GPU temperature monitoring without it, but just by touching it, it seems much cooler. Also, I could not play HD video on YouTube before without it getting super hot then shortly after super slow. It seems to be working fine now! I've also been playing a little Portal 2 and again just fine. It's worth a try.

Update:

After stressing it with Portal 2 for a while longer it has overheated and become slow again. Portal 2 becomes unplayable and no more HD or full screen YouTube videos. After letting it set for about 10-15 minutes I can do the YouTube videos again. I do suspect that it takes longer to overheat and cool down afterwards, so I still think it's worth a try. Like I said before, I couldn't watch HD YouTube videos full screen at all before.

Immo

Maximus1, Lulighttec, try removing NVClockX. I suspect it's overclocking our GPUs and it's generating too much heat! I've done it on mine and my computer seems to be running much cooler. I can't tell you what the GPU temperature is because you lose GPU temperature monitoring without it, but just by touching it, it seems much cooler. Also, I could not play HD video on YouTube before without it getting super hot then shortly after super slow. It seems to be working fine now! I've also been playing a little Portal 2 and again just fine. It's worth a try.

Update:

After stressing it with Portal 2 for a while longer it has overheated and become slow again. Portal 2 becomes unplayable and no more HD or full screen YouTube videos. After letting it set for about 10-15 minutes I can do the YouTube videos again. I do suspect that it takes longer to overheat and cool down afterwards, so I still think it's worth a try. Like I said before, I couldn't watch HD YouTube videos full screen at all before.

Immo

If that's the case, I wonder if there's a way to modify it so that it doesn't? Also, I did turn on GeneratePstates and cstates, and I can see 5 pstates now, but the computer doesn't seem to be switching between them.

If that's the case, I wonder if there's a way to modify it so that it doesn't? Also, I did turn on GeneratePstates and cstates, and I can see 5 pstates now, but the computer doesn't seem to be switching between them.

You probably don't need more than 3 anyways I would think. Most of the time it's either at the slowest speed when it's not doing much or the fastest speed otherwise. As long as the slowest speed is significantly slower than the fastest (in my case 1/6), I think you're good. Let me know if you try removing NVClockX and if it helps your overheating issue.

Also, what are your temps?

does anyone use the dsdt cpu mod anymore ?? most use the GeneratePStates.. also that dsdt is pre Device (PCI0) _UID missing discovery.

Hi LatinMcG,

I am using the generic CPU DSDT. I also think I need to mod my DSDT PCI0 before launching OSX 10.8. DO you have a short snippit of what the script should look like in the DSDT. I would like to make the change. Also will the latest HWSensors from the HWSensors thread work on our systems? Latest FakeSMC, Cpusensor, ACPISensors, SuperIOSensors and NouveauSensors.. instead of Nvclock?

Right now I am stuck at the PCI Configuration Begins and sometimes I am getting a kernel panic on CPU. Maybe the latest FakeSMC is causing this not sure?

I am also using Chimera 1.11.0 latest and wonder if I should switch back to ermac's Chameleon for example or will CHimera work fine?

EDITED:

Well with the two files DarwinX has provided I am finally able to boot without any kernel panic and have console verbose -v back.

I have not modified the DSDT PIC0 as far as I know waiting for LatinMcG to respond to that.

I also have not used the darkwake setting in org.chameleon.Boot.plist. Using Chimera 1.11.0. Using all the HWSensors I Listed. Using the HWMonitor which comes with the binary set.

I am also using this setup on my D830 everything works fine.

My D830 GPU is running so hot around 70-83 C which is probably nearing its end. I have to tell the wife to use that CPU cooler under it or it will be a very short few weeks or month for that GPU.

Hi LatinMcG, I am using the generic CPU DSDT. I also think I need to mod my DSDT PCI0 before launching OSX 10.8. DO you have a short snippit of what the script should look like in the DSDT. I would like to make the change. Also will the latest HWSensors from the HWSensors thread work on our systems? Latest FakeSMC, Cpusensor, ACPISensors, SuperIOSensors and NouveauSensors.. instead of Nvclock? Right now I am stuck at the PCI Configuration Begins and sometimes I am getting a kernel panic on CPU. Maybe the latest FakeSMC is causing this not sure? I am also using Chimera 1.11.0 latest and wonder if I should switch back to ermac's Chameleon for example or will CHimera work fine? EDITED: Well with the two files DarwinX has provided I am finally able to boot without any kernel panic and have console verbose -v back. I have not modified the DSDT PIC0 as far as I know waiting for LatinMcG to respond to that. I also have not used the darkwake setting in org.chameleon.Boot.plist. Using Chimera 1.11.0. Using all the HWSensors I Listed. Using the HWMonitor which comes with the binary set. I am also using this setup on my D830 everything works fine. My D830 GPU is running so hot around 70-83 C which is probably nearing its end. I have to tell the wife to use that CPU cooler under it or it will be a very short few weeks or month for that GPU.

The PCI0 patch is already there in the guide and the M1330/M1530 DSDTs and has been since around a year ago. It was also required for SL 10.6.8 and Lion. Check out this part of the guide:

"Required for 10.6.8 and Lion: PCI Patch (added 2011/07/20)".

Immo

You probably don't need more than 3 anyways I would think. Most of the time it's either at the slowest speed when it's not doing much or the fastest speed otherwise. As long as the slowest speed is significantly slower than the fastest (in my case 1/6), I think you're good. Let me know if you try removing NVClockX and if it helps your overheating issue.

Also, what are your temps?

Well, my temps in OS X are between 65 and 75, which as it turns out, isn't all that unusual for this processor. I'd still like it cooler, so it would be great to see where the fan control is and figure out why that doesn't seem to respond to anything. Also, I'm doing things on this like importing video, and stuff like that, and the p-states still aren't changing. Doesn't that seem a bit odd? I'd expect it to sit on the highest p-state while I'm not doing anything, but when I start doing stuff I would think it would switch to a lower one (highest meaning p5 as opposed to p1, not cpu frequency).