[GUIDE] Making a DSDT.aml for Dell XPS M1330, XPS M1530, and XPS M1730

immo

2,030 posts in this topic

in this link you can see that the input is mic and line in too

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/SYSTEMS/xpsm1530/en/OM/HTML/specs.htm

and look this ....is the configuration of Donkey on osx86 forum...I've send him an email I hope he has that driver

He has mic and line in working togheter...Wow and also the output togheter.....

Do you know him?

Dell XPS M1530: 2.6GHz T9500 CPU (C-States/P-States) / 8GB SDRam / 500Gb 7200rpm HD | Win7 & OSX 10.6.4 Vanilla via Chameleon AnVaL Branch | OSX Boot time: 26 seconds with FakeSMC (Slice's Branch r218/ProjectOSX) | Audio: Sigmatel 9228 via VoodooHDA v2.6.2 (Slice's Branch/ProjectOSX): Speakers, Line-Out (Simultaneous 2x line-out port use), Internal Mic, Line-In Mic: Untested, HDMI Audio | Sleep: Quick-sleep: mode 0, Camshell: sleep on close, Hibernate: deep sleep w/out battery | Shutdown via Brett's DSDT | Restart via bootloader | Graphics: 256MB NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT (via Brett's DSDT) [QE/Q2DE/CI/OGL/OCL/HDMI Video | Bluetooth/Wireless/Ethernet: Dell Truemobile 355 Bluetootf / Dell Truemobile 1395 WLAN (via bcm43xx_enabler_0.5.3.sh) / Marvell Yukon 10/100 Ethernet (via DSDT & hex-edit for correct MAC address) | 8-in-1 Media Device via VoodooSDHC | Fingerprint Reader | Alps Trackpad: 2-Finger Scroll Vertical & Horizontal, Tap-to-Click | Web Cam: half-assed fps | Dell IR Remote | Accessories: Addonics Sil3132 Raid ExpressCard.

I don't know how to compare applehda and voodoohda to get all working....line in it's important but I prefer use voodoohda (really stable)...can someone help me?

You can try here for help:

http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=355

I'm not an audio guy, but you might be served better by an external USB mixer with OS-X support. These built in sound cards are {censored} for recording.

Immo

thanks for the reply, I've read the topic some day ago but everyone had a different result...the best I've seen is the slice result but he only obtained that the two mic are displayed with different level controller...but it's not usefull because if you rec with the mic input I don't believe you want to use that orrible internal mic....well the external usb mixer is the solution but this notebook will become every day less portable....well thank you the same...

• 1 month later...

Hi immo,

I had done vanilla install of 10.7.0 on my M1530 (T9500 2.5GHz, 4GB Ram, 8600 GT) and have upgraded it to 10.7.4 using combo update.

Removed AppleHDA.kext and swapped AppleACPIPlatform to 1.3.5 before restart.

It works wonderfully well. No other changes were required.

Thanks

Hi immo,

I had done vanilla install of 10.7.0 on my M1530 (T9500 2.5GHz, 4GB Ram, 8600 GT) and have upgraded it to 10.7.4 using combo update.

Thanks

i imagine u used dsdt too :P

Thanks

Thanks for the feedback gadgetfr34k. Glad it worked for you. The majority of what's in the guide is from the work of others, including current posters DarwinX and LatinMcG.

Anyone brave enough to try the final release of Mountian Lion? Looks like DarwinX got a pre-release working here:

http://www.insanelym...dpost&p=1801161

I'd like to try it myself when I have the time.

about the audio driver I think the best audio driver is voodoohda 2.7.3 because 2.7.4 on the max volume make distortion on the bass, the 2.7.3 work well on m1530 and also on asus P5G41 MLX, so I think it's not only for our machine but for all, on the two hackintosh the same problem: on high volume the bass make distortion. Hear the difference, for example on "love foolosophy" jamiroquay or some song with a lot of bass. there is a great difference.

Thanks for the feedback gadgetfr34k. Glad it worked for you. The majority of what's in the guide is from the work of others, including current posters DarwinX and LatinMcG.

Anyone brave enough to try the final release of Mountian Lion? Looks like DarwinX got a pre-release working here:

http://www.insanelym...dpost&p=1801161

I'd like to try it myself when I have the time.

The OS X 10.8 is verified to viably install and operate via the Extra directory files and kexts from the OS X 10.7

along with the following IOPCIFamily.kext v1.1.5 [v2.7] with the modified IO Map by Netkas:

IOPCIFamily.kextNetkas10.8v2.zip

Reference: http://netkas.org/?p=1053 | http://netkas.org/?p=1072

EDIT: Despite the implementation of the patched IOPCIFamily.kext v1.1.5, the OS X 10.8 AppleACPIPlatform.kext v1.6 disables both the VoodooHDA and the AppleSmartBatteryManager kexts. Thus, the regression to the legacy AppleACPIPlatform.kext remains to be the best solution for the [PCI configuration begins] error in our systems. Fortunately, the AppleACPIPlatform.kext v1.3.5 retains its viability in the OS X 10.8. While its consequent reiterations may also be viable, I only have access to the fore mentioned version and therefore it is the only one that I have personally tested and verified to be compatible with the OS X 10.8.

AppleACPIPlatformv1.3.5.zip

• Like 2

EDIT: Despite the implementation of the patched IOPCIFamily.kext v1.1.5, the OS X 10.8 AppleACPIPlatform.kext v1.6 disables both the VoodooHDA and the AppleSmartBatteryManager kexts. Thus, the regression to the legacy AppleACPIPlatform.kext remains to be the best solution for the [PCI configuration begins] error in our systems. Fortunately, the AppleACPIPlatform.kext v1.3.5 retains its viability in the OS X 10.8. While its consequent reiterations may also be viable, I only have access to the fore mentioned version and therefore it is the only one that I have personally tested and verified to be compatible with the OS X 10.8.

Hi Dx,

I wrote this before I saw your edit:

Battery Issue:

First Scenario: After Installing ML Retail, I did the usual steps involving AppleACPIplatform:

1- Replace Original ML AppleACPI with the one from 10.6.8 (version 1.3.6) and used the existing IOPCIfamily kext from 10.8 (Version 2.7).

2- After booting up, I noticed that the battery icon was not there and noticed that ML does not include the AppleACPIBatteryManager kext. So I installed the once from 10.7.4 (version 1.0). That seemed to work and got the battery icon back.

The second scenario involved the installation of netkas' modified IOPCIfamily kext (version 2.7) downloaded from his blog site.

1- I put back the original ML AppleACPIPlatform (v 1.6)

2- Installed netkas' IOPCIFamily kext

Result: not a dicky bird - [PCI config Begin…]

I repeated the second scenario but with Darwinx' version 2 of netkas' IOPCIFamily.

Result: that booted up OK but Battery icon showed up but an X in it. The battery status did not change.

The first scenario seemed to be OK with the unchanged IOPCI. However, the second scenario has screwed up the PCI port mapping somehow.

@Darwins ; do you have your battery status working with the modified IOPCI ?

Incidentally, what is the difference between the IOPCI you posted and the original one from Netkas' Blog site?

Regards

Edit-1:

@DX - I have been using version 1.3.6 from SL 10.6.8 with LION and Mountain LION for a while and it seems to be OK.

Edit-2: I didn't use AppleSmartBatteryManager which I thought had some complex changes to the DSDT and got updated for every release of Lion.

AppleACPIPlatform.kext-v1.3.6.zip

A Big Thank for your work, I have been able to Install SL 10.6.8 on my M1330.

I have extracted my dsdt under Linux and patched it according to your guide (GraphicEnabled=Yes).

My Dell XPX M1330 seems to be a bit different from others :

CPU : T7500 2.2 MHz

Graphics : Nvidia 8400M TS 256 MB

The last point may be an issue, because in System info, the Graphic Card is diplayed with only 128 MB of RAM :

========================================================

GeForce 8400M GS :

Jeu de composants : GeForce 8400M GS

Type : Processeur graphique (GPU)

Bus : PCIe

Logement : Slot-1

Longueur de la voie PCIe : x16

VRAM (totale) : 128 Mo

Fournisseur : NVIDIA (0x10de)

Identifiant du périphérique : 0x0427

Identifiant de révision : 0x00a1

Révision de la ROM : 60.86.45.00.40

Moniteurs :

Moniteur :

Résolution : 1280 x 800

Profondeur de pixels : Couleurs 32 bits (ARGB8888)

Moniteur principal : Oui

Miroir : Désactivé

Connecté : Oui

Intégré : Oui

Connecteur pour le moniteur :

état : Aucun moniteur branché

========================================================

In IORegistryExplorer, NVDA Display0, I can read this :

VRAM,memsize Data <00 00 00 08 00 00 00 08>

And in Display1 :

VRAM,memsize Data <00 00 00 00 00 00 00 08>

Do you think OSX uses indeed 256MB for graphics or only 128MB ?

Thank you for any advise

Patrick

Hi Dx,

The first scenario seemed to be OK with the unchanged IOPCI. However, the second scenario has screwed up the PCI port mapping somehow.

@Darwins ; do you have your battery status working with the modified IOPCI ?

Incidentally, what is the difference between the IOPCI you posted and the original one from Netkas' Blog site?

Regards

Edit-1:

@DX - I have been using version 1.3.6 from SL 10.6.8 with LION and Mountain LION for a while and it seems to be OK.

Edit-2: I didn't use AppleSmartBatteryManager which I thought had some complex changes to the DSDT and got updated for every release of Lion.

The AppleSmartBatteryManager.kext fails to implement with Netkas' IO Remapped IOPCIFamily.kext version 2 which Netkas updated a few weeks following the initial release:

Updated IOPCIFamily for Mountain Lion

However, the AppleSmartBatteryManager.kext does successfully implement with the original 10.8 IOPCIFamily.kext v2.7 along with the legacy AppleACPIPlatform.kext [1.3.5 - 1.3.6].

AppleSmartBatteryManager.kext.zip

Updated IOPCIFamily for Mountain Lion

However, the AppleSmartBatteryManager.kext does successfully implement with the original 10.8 IOPCIFamily.kext v2.7 along with the legacy AppleACPIPlatform.kext [1.3.5 - 1.3.6].

AppleSmartBatteryManager.kext.zip

Thanks for that. WiIl have a go sometime. Is it the Kext from this thread: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=272459

If yes, did you have to fiddle with the DSDT ?

Changing the topic a bit. My M1530 restarts at will. I am aware that this has been a problem but has it ever been resolved ?

Cheers

Thanks for that. WiIl have a go sometime. Is it the Kext from this thread: http://www.insanelym...howtopic=272459

If yes, did you have to fiddle with the DSDT ?

The AppleSmartManager.kext is indeed from that thread. It fully functions without any battery specific DSDT modifications. If you do not want it overwritten by software updates with Apple's native AppleSmartManager.kext, you can modify its version number in the info.plist to be above of the Apple's current AppleSmartManager.kext version (161.0.0).

<key>CFBundleShortVersionString</key>
<string>161.0.0</string>

<key>CFBundleVersion</key>
<string>161.0.0</string>

Changing the topic a bit. My M1530 restarts at will. I am aware that this has been a problem but has it ever been resolved ?

Cheers

I do not recall having previously encountered such an issue, but It might be caused by overheating.

The AppleSmartManager.kext is indeed from that thread. It fully functions without any battery specific DSDT modifications.

<key>CFBundleShortVersionString</key>
<string>161.0.0</string>

<key>CFBundleVersion</key>
<string>161.0.0</string>

I do not not recall having previously encountered such an issue. It may possibly be caused by overheating.

Hi Dx,

Many thanks for your replies - Cheers

Hi guys,

I've been reading your work for weeks now... I find it fascinating. I'm very new at this kind of tweaking. Let me describe my problem. I have my OSX installed on my M1530, with a T6400 (2.0GHz), and I have been using the generic CPU DSDT, which for the most part seems to work. Restart didn't work, shutdown didn't work, and sleep didn't work (but to be fair, sleep has NEVER worked right on my machine... it doesn't wake up correctly!) so I started using EvOReboot.kext to help with that. Also, GraphicsEnabler=Yes doesn't work for me either despite the fact that I have Chameleon RC5, so I'm still using the Nvidia injection in my DSDT. It was working "ok", until I tried to pop in a broadcom 4322 wifi card. well, actually, started with an apple atheros card first. No matter. As soon as I put either card in, my config.d crashes and restarts constantly, which makes the whole machine run like {censored}, and the wifi and the ethernet quit working at all at that point. I thought i'd try creating my own DSDT using the guide, and was making pretty good headway until after I copied the patches into the DSDT, and suddenly started getting "Object does not exist" errors for just about every object in the code. I need some help, but I'm not sure where to start. any thoughts?

Thanks,

LULightTec

Hi guys,

I've been reading your work for weeks now... I find it fascinating. I'm very new at this kind of tweaking. Let me describe my problem. I have my OSX installed on my M1530, with a T6400 (2.0GHz), and I have been using the generic CPU DSDT,

Thanks,

LULightTec

It sounds like you have messed up your installation. Your best bet is to start a fresh one by consulting this thread:

[Guide] Install OSX Lion Dell XPS m1530

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=274905

and use latest DSDT from page 1 of this thread.

Your biggest worry is getting passed [PCI config begin..] but this is covered in last two pages here.

Then come back here for more specific issues.

Hope this helps

It sounds like you have messed up your installation. Your best bet is to start a fresh one by consulting this thread:

http://www.insanelym...howtopic=274905

Your biggest worry is getting passed [PCI config begin..] but this is covered in last two pages here.

Hope this helps

Well, I haven't even installed Lion. I'm on SL right now. I would like to get the issues with it worked out first before trying to get Lion on here. Also, I should point out that I used a Vanilla install, and it all went pretty smoothly. I did tweak it a teeny tiny bit to make it install on MBR instead of GPT, but that shouldn't make a difference. Why? because I can't go destroying my Windows 7 partition and reinstalling everything right now. Someday when I have a spare HDD and the time I might dupe my Win7, do a fresh install of OSX, and then put Win7 back where it was and clean up my bootloaders, but not right now.

Hope this helps.

Well, I haven't even installed Lion. I'm on SL right now. I would like to get the issues with it worked out first before trying to get Lion on here.

Hope this helps.

hi,

Thanks for clarifying your issue. Silly me, I assumed you were more up to date than SL. You are going about it the wrong way. I dread to think that you must be starting with 10.6.0 or are you using a Distro ?

You might find it difficult to get help as most of us have probably moved on. I was trying to find my old SL files for and could only fid some 10.6.8 ones.

I still think it is worth acquiring a cheap low capacity drive from Fleebay, set up at least 2 partitions for experimenting. After completing a solid install, use Superduper to build an image which you can restore on your dual boot drive. From my experience, it is the safest and quickest way.

Best of luck

hi,

Thanks for clarifying your issue. Silly me, I assumed you were more up to date than SL. You are going about it the wrong way. I dread to think that you must be starting with 10.6.0 or are you using a Distro ?

You might find it difficult to get help as most of us have probably moved on. I was trying to find my old SL files for and could only fid some 10.6.8 ones.

I still think it is worth acquiring a cheap low capacity drive from Fleebay, set up at least 2 partitions for experimenting. After completing a solid install, use Superduper to build an image which you can restore on your dual boot drive. From my experience, it is the safest and quickest way.

Best of luck

I'm sorry I didn't clarify in my first post. I'm on 10.6.8. I can't get Lion to install at all, following those guides. It just won't cooperate.

http://www.insanelym...howtopic=274905

Hope this helps

he cant use that dsdt.. he needs inspiron 1520..the m1330 almost matches.. might work.

the main thing in the dsdt is the Device (PCI0) is missing _UID, 0x00

he cant use that dsdt.. he needs inspiron 1520..the m1330 almost matches.. might work.

the main thing in the dsdt is the Device (PCI0) is missing _UID, 0x00

Hi Latino,

You can't get away from your favourite M1530 thread :)

You are confusing Lulighttec's (M1530) request with Indiandragon's (m1520). I was responding the former (Lulighttec). Don't worry I got them confused too initially. The requests for help came one after another.

Cheers

I'm sorry I didn't clarify in my first post. I'm on 10.6.8. I can't get Lion to install at all, following those guides. It just won't cooperate.

Hi luli,

Sorry to sound insistant but you really need to be a bit more specific: "can't install" doesn't tell us much. I have started way back with OSX Leo and I can assure you that LION is the easiest one to install. This is logical since most of the issues were ironed out with time. Use the USB method : copy the extra folder (DSDT+Extensions...) onto your USB and 'Fakesmc' into your USB S/L/E and don't forget to dlete the original AppleHDA. These are the most common stumbling blocks.

Also, to get better support, I suggest you move your requests for help to the M1530 install thread (No offense)

Regards

Hi Latino,

You can't get away from your favourite M1530 thread :)

You are confusing Lulighttec's (M1530) request with Indiandragon's (m1520). I was responding the former (Lulighttec). Don't worry I got them confused too initially. The requests for help came one after another.

Cheers

Hi luli,

Sorry to sound insistant but you really need to be a bit more specific: "can't install" doesn't tell us much. I have started way back with OSX Leo and I can assure you that LION is the easiest one to install. This is logical since most of the issues were ironed out with time. Use the USB method : copy the extra folder (DSDT+Extensions...) onto your USB and 'Fakesmc' into your USB S/L/E and don't forget to dlete the original AppleHDA. These are the most common stumbling blocks.

Also, to get better support, I suggest you move your requests for help to the M1530 install thread (No offense)

Regards

Yes, I apologize for my vagueness... I was on the way out the door, and focused on answering the question about which version I'm on. Originally, i wanted help with the errors I'm getting when trying to recompile my DSDT, hence the post in this thread. I think I can figure out what's going on with Lion. I made some headway this afternoon, but as of right now I'm still on 10.6.8. Let's just pause for the moment, and if/when I need to come back to DSDT compiling, I'll post an update. Sound good?

Hello Guys,

finally I managed to get Mountain Lion working on my XPS (what a pain -.-') those days.

But I have noticed some issues:

1. Did anyone get working battery status? There is just a "X" there

2. It seems my PC crashes randomly at 3D applications. I've tried to play Minecraft for example and after a while my XPS just turned off.

3. By opening the "About this Mac" window and clicking to advanced information I always get a restart error (kernel panic or something, cant see what it is)

4. At OSX my XPS is getting quite hot (I have had this problem with almost all versions of OSX). Is there any solution for that? I am using a DSDT from this thread and the right smbios.plist

Everything else is working quite fine (except HDMI :wink2: ) or I haven't found any other problem yet.

Hello Guys,

finally I managed to get Mountain Lion working on my XPS (what a pain -.-') those days.

But I have noticed some issues:

1. Did anyone get working battery status? There is just a "X" there

2. It seems my PC crashes randomly at 3D applications. I've tried to play Minecraft for example and after a while my XPS just turned off.

3. By opening the "About this Mac" window and clicking to advanced information I always get a restart error (kernel panic or something, cant see what it is)

4. At OSX my XPS is getting quite hot (I have had this problem with almost all versions of OSX). Is there any solution for that? I am using a DSDT from this thread and the right smbios.plist

Everything else is working quite fine (except HDMI :wink2: ) or I haven't found any other problem yet.

I haven't had time to install Mountain Lion yet, but I already know the reason for #2 and #4. Defective NVidia chip. After too many heat and cool down cycles, the connections that connect the silicon to the substrate (i.e. the bumps) go brittle and crack, causing overheating and eventually failure. All of these chips are doomed to failure; it's not a question of if but when. The graphics chip heats up when you are doing something 3D intensive like playing a 3D game. The same issues occur under Windows. I'm on motherboard #5 on my M1330. The only thing that is keeping this computer going is the warranty (which I have less than a year left of now, possibly extended by a year if a failure afterwards is proven to be from the defective video chip).