[GUIDE] Making a DSDT.aml for Dell XPS M1330, XPS M1530, and XPS M1730

immo

2,030 posts in this topic

I found a dw1390 bcm4311 pcie card in my old broken dell inspiron e1505 i kept in the store room... I'm now in wifi land... 

Tweaking as I go along. Should receive Penryn processor soon so will go to sierra then.

• 3 weeks later...

With @Rehabman's ACPIBacklight.kext v3.0.4 (RehabMan-Backlight-2015-1001.zip), I get a working brightness slider in System Preferences/Display for El Capitan 10.11.6.  Not sure about keyboard control for it though...

Hey, thanks! Sorry for the late response. That backlight kext gives me a working backlight slider for me too. But the keyboard control doesn't work. I have tried following RehabMan's guide to "patching-dsdt-ssdt-for-laptop-backlight-control" on the other forum. It has a section dedicated to get the brightness keys work. But I am not able to follow that because the brightness keys do not generate any PS2 codes for me. The other keys generate PS2 keys which I can see in the system.log, but not the brightness keys. If @RehabMan is around, maybe he can help.

Battery

I still have a functional battery. But the battery status does not change after booting into Mac. Even adapter detection doesn't work. Very annoying. Again, I tried to follow RehabMan's "how-to-patch-dsdt-for-working-battery-status" on the other forum. But the "EmbeddedControl" which he asks us to find in the DSDT is not even present in our DSDT!

It would REALLY help to have the battery status work. Right now, I am always on tenterhooks, guessing how much battery is left by keeping track of time. Some help, please?

• 2 weeks later...

@fusion71au,

How are you doing?  I read they our airport 1490 etc cards will not work in Sierra.  I tested a Dell DW1510 half mini 14e4:432b and its works OOB 5/2.4GHz.  Only issue is it is half mini size.  I taped it down and it worked fine.  Is there an alternate DW1510( 14e4:432b)  card that fits our PCI slot?

Thanks!!

Edited:

I just thought about this.  I could make shift an adapter of some sort to keep the card pushed down.  I am sure there are Half Mini to Mini Adapters for laptops.  The DW1510 just works OOB for all OS X versions no patches needed both 2.4 and 5GHZ.  The best option for us if its simple cheap adapter fix!!

Something such as this or just plain strong tape!!

https://www.amazon.com/Half-Height-Express-Bracket-Adapter/dp/B007VXJ9IS

I also get warning messages like "Endpoint has been activated through legacy launch(3) APIs.  Please switch to XPC or bootstrap_check

This come from an Helper Tool, the legacy space is referring to the deprecated SMJobBless API that grand an app to perform privileged tasks. OSX just log an advice to use the XPC connection (through XPC socket), but this is completely normal if the app in question support old version of OS X (<= 10.8). Apparently Sierra and its installer use deprecated APIs, but as I said, nothing strange.

• 1 month later...

Hey, thanks! Sorry for the late response. That backlight kext gives me a working backlight slider for me too. But the keyboard control doesn't work. I have tried following RehabMan's guide to "patching-dsdt-ssdt-for-laptop-backlight-control" on the other forum. It has a section dedicated to get the brightness keys work. But I am not able to follow that because the brightness keys do not generate any PS2 codes for me. The other keys generate PS2 keys which I can see in the system.log, but not the brightness keys. If @RehabMan is around, maybe he can help.

Battery

I still have a functional battery. But the battery status does not change after booting into Mac. Even adapter detection doesn't work. Very annoying. Again, I tried to follow RehabMan's "how-to-patch-dsdt-for-working-battery-status" on the other forum. But the "EmbeddedControl" which he asks us to find in the DSDT is not even present in our DSDT!

It would REALLY help to have the battery status work. Right now, I am always on tenterhooks, guessing how much battery is left by keeping track of time. Some help, please?

I did finally get my battery meter to work (I believe properly). I had to follow the tutorial in this thread and create a DSDT rather than use one of the one posted. That did the trick.

I did finally get my battery meter to work (I believe properly). I had to follow the tutorial in this thread and create a DSDT rather than use one of the one posted. That did the trick.

Oh, that is great! Could you please post your DSDT here, so I can compare the differences between what you and I have?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

@fusion71au,

After install will the Yukon kext still cause a kernel panic in Sierra?  After install should we go back to 5,1 or stay on 7,1 smbios?  I noticed your DSDT is now dated back to 2015, I thought for some reason you had a DSDT dated 2016 and if not I must have modified it myself!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys, hope you are all doing good !   Great to see @fusion71au coming up with the guides for Sierra already  :thumbsup_anim: 

I didn't turn up for El Captain as my GPU (8600m GT) on 1520 did it's thing  :fiery:  

06/01/16 1:35:14.000 PM kernel[0]: NVDA,Display-B: Not usable

I do still have a minor doubt on whether it was the display which gave up, but I don't have a spare display to check that. Perhaps on a later date. Anyways, as it seems my memron CPU wouldn't be compatible for Sierra I don't plan to spend money in fixing the laptop but I've run into some interesting anomaly.

I removed the GPU, display and tried to use the laptop for some Android x86 research (interestingly our X3100 GPU has good success rates with Android ) but in vain as there's no signal from VGA when the display is unplugged from GPU. Then again, it defeats the purpose as I want the integrated GPU to work.

Since, many here have got their GPU's replaced at some point can I get some info on whether anyone get their integrated GPU to output to VGA without the laptop display & NVIDIA GPU. Any pointers on this would be much appreciated.

Sorry for the late response: I have never had my GPU replaced; however, I have been running my laptop with the builtin display unplugged from the mainboard and a VGA monitor plugged in for some time now, since my internal display backlights went bad many months ago. Haven't had a problem.

• 4 months later...

Hi Guys,

I’ve had some time to experiment with the latest macOS 10.13 beta (High Sierra) on my XPSM1530.  As you probably know, Apple dropped support for a lot of legacy machines in the transition to Sierra, making it necessary for us to use MBP7,1 SMBIOS on our systems.  The bad news is that with Apple’s stricter firmware checking in macOS 10.13, natively updating the software via the App Store has become more problematic, and many people are seeing “OSInstall.mpkg” errors.  The good news is that these firmware checks can be bypassed quite easily, using the “Core” installation method (and @PikeRAlpha’s upgrade scripts) described below.

Prerequisites
  • CPU must support SSE4 - Penryn and newer Intel processors OK but not Merom.
  • Existing OSX installation eg Yosemite, El Capitan or Sierra
  • Upgrade Clover to r4097+ and use config files and kexts attached to this post for MBP7,1 SMBIOS
  • Enrol in Apple's Beta Program to download the "macOSPublicBetaAccessUtility".  This will download "Install macOS High Sierra Beta.app" into your Applications Folder.

post-846696-0-93262400-1499227041_thumb.png

• Use Disk Utility to prepare a clean MacOS Extended (HFS+ Journaled) partition, say 60GB, named macOS_HS

Core Installation
1). Right Click "Install macOS High Sierra Beta.app" in Finder and select show contents

post-846696-0-12024300-1499227125_thumb.png

2). Navigate to /Contents/SharedSupport and mount InstallESD.dmg

post-846696-0-06852500-1499227188_thumb.png

3). Double Click on the Core.pkg installer inside InstallESD/Packages to start the install ---> select macOS_HS partition prepared earlier, as the target...

post-846696-0-46772700-1499227298_thumb.png

4). Once the installer completes its installation, copy boot.efi into /S/L/CoreServices
sudo cp /Volumes/macOS_HS/usr/standalone/i386/boot.efi /Volumes/macOS_HS/System/Library/CoreServices

5). Disable/Rename AppleYukon2.kext in /S/L/E to prevent kernel panic for XPS M1530 when using MBP7,1 SMBIOS

sudo mv /Volumes/macOS_HS/System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleYukon2.kext /Volumes/macOS_HS/System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleYukon2.OG
6). Rebuild the prelinked kernel & caches on the High Sierra Volume
sudo touch /Volumes/macOS_HS/System/Library/Extensions
sudo kextcache -u /Volumes/macOS_HS

Update: Step 5 & 6 are no longer necessary as I have added AppleYukon2 into the list of kexts that are disabled by Disabler.kext (added in addition to AppleHDA in its info.plist)  :).  The minimum kexts required for booting are FakeSMC, VoodooPS2Controller and NullEthernet.kext  (eg injected from /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other).

Setup High Sierra Installation
1)  For the first boot into macOS_HS, choose the verbose and safe mode options (-v -x) from the Clover Main Menu.
2)  After creating your new user account, install VoodooHDA and Disabler.kext in /L/E or /S/L/E.
3)  Setup Mac AppStore Catalog with terminal (credit PikeRApha blog): 

To check the current AppStore CatalogURL...

4)  Copy SeedEnrollment.plist file (from "Misc Files.zip" attachment) into the /Users/Shared folder with the "." prefix so it becomes a hidden system file eg

if SeedEnrollment.plist is in your ~/Downloads folder, use the terminal command

cp ~/Downloads/SeedEnrollment.plist /Users/Shared/.SeedEnrollment.plist

5)  Manually Create a Recovery Partition with dmtest:

Copy the dmtest binary (from "Misc Files.zip" attachment) into your ~/Downloads folder, then run the following command in terminal (assuming "Install macOS High Sierra Beta.app" is in your Applications folder):

~/Downloads/dmtest ensureRecoveryPartition / /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra\ Beta.app/Contents/SharedSupport/BaseSystem.dmg 0 0 /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra\ Beta.app/Contents/SharedSupport/BaseSystem.chunklist

6)  If Delta Updates from the Appstore fail due to “OSInstall.mpkg” errors, PikeRAlpha has provided some handy scripts that create an installer.pkg to bypass the firmware checks.

Early Observations

Performance of High Sierra is very good (on a par with El Capitan & Sierra), especially if installed on SSD.  I’ve successfully run the new APFS file system on an old spinning HD but boot times are considerably slower, at least initially.  Also tried out Night Shift with @AustereJ’s NightShiftUnlocker kext  :)

post-846696-0-84461800-1499230082_thumb.png

post-846696-0-80910100-1499230119_thumb.png

Misc Files.zip

XPS M1530 MBP7,1 for Sierra & HiSierra.zip

• Like 6

Thanks for the update I am still on EL Capitan using your kexts from the zip files I have been noticing random kernel panic's and cannot figure out what the cause is?  I removed VoodooHDA and AppleHDADisabler and no Panic so far.  Do you have an updated VoodooHDA Kext?  For the battery can we just grab Rehabman's latest one or have you modified that one?  Is the FakeSMC and sensors the same in your Sierra pack and if not will that work in El Capitan as far as kexts go?   One more thing will Clover 4097+ be compatible with our device and El Capitan?   Thanks for sharing your guide and files!!

Hi Guys,

I’ve had some time to experiment with the latest macOS 10.13 beta (High Sierra) on my XPSM1530.  As you probably know, Apple dropped support for a lot of legacy machines in the transition to Sierra, making it necessary for us to use MBP7,1 SMBIOS on our systems.  The bad news is that with Apple’s stricter firmware checking in macOS 10.13, natively updating the software via the App Store has become more problematic, and many people are seeing “OSInstall.mpkg” errors.  The good news is that these firmware checks can be bypassed quite easily, using the “Core” installation method (and @PikeRAlpha’s upgrade scripts) described below.

Does your/our CPUs support Sierra or High Sierra?

@oSxFr33k,

When using the MBP7,1 SMBIOS with the XPS M1530, you need to delete or rename /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleYukon2.kext to avoid random kps.  This applies to High Sierra 10.13, Sierra as well as El Capitan.  The MBP5,1 SMBIOS works without deleting the Yukon kext but is unsupported in Sierra/HiSierra.  I had no problems with VoodooHDA (I use @Slice's version).

I run my XPS on AC power so don't bother with a battery kext anymore (since my battery stopped working).  @Elfox reported getting his battery meter working by making further edits to his dsdt - see post#1980 & #1982.  My dsdt hasn't changed since El Capitan and I haven't incorporated @Elfox's edits.

Clover r4097, FakeSMC and sensors (same as used in El Capitan) all work in Sierra/HiSierra.

Update

Deleting or renaming AppleYukon2.kext is no longer necessary as I have added AppleYukon2 into the list of kexts that are disabled by Disabler.kext (added in addition to AppleHDA in its info.plist) :).  Please replace AppleHDADisabler with the new Disabler.kext in "XPS M1530 MBP7,1 for Sierra & HiSierra.zip",  post#1985.

@macgirl,

My CPU is a T9300 Penryn, the minimum Intel processor supporting SSE4.  Unfortunately if your processor is a Merom Core2 Duo, it won't support SSE4 so won't run Sierra/HiSierra :no:.

• Like 2

@macgirl,

My CPU is a T9300 Penryn, the minimum Intel processor supporting SSE4.  Unfortunately if your processor is a Merom Core2 Duo, it won't support SSE4 so won't run Sierra/HiSierra :no:.

Yes unfortunately it is a Merom  :cry:

@fusion71au,

The voodooHDA I was using was from your zip file back before SIerra on ELC.  Its version 2.8.4 with nodes to patch edited with the verb data of our audio device.  Are you using Slice's newest version 2.9.0d10 edited with the same nodes to patch see screenshot.

Edited:

Random kernel panics now gone.  ELC didn't like VoodooHDA 2.8.4 with modified Nodes to Patch.

post-135888-0-99490400-1499320659_thumb.png

Does anyone have Sierra or High Sierra working on an M1330 yet? I installed Sierra (upgraded El Capitan) for the first time yesterday but my VoodooPS2Controller.kext from El Capitan now causes a kernel panic. I am able to boot with fusion71au's version from post #1961 but my trackpad buttons act like I am rapidly tapping them 50 times making it almost useless for navigation. I'm using clover 4097 and smbios MBP5.1. I also no longer have usable USB ports to use a wired or wireless keyboard and mouse. I also don't have wireless anymore so could this be a usb issue also? I have had every OS since Leopard on this machine and previously bought a Dell wireless 1390 card because the OEM Intel card wasn't compatible at the time. I also used the FakeSMC.kext from that same post which later in the thread mentions use of a disabler for Yukon as well as disabler kexts so I don't know if they are embedded in the FakeSMC. If memory serves me correctly the Yukon related issues only applied to the M1530 not the M1330. 

Thank you in advance for any help anyone can provide. I'm pretty rusty since I waited this long to upgrade from El Capitan.

@macdanny,

The weird trackpad behaviour might be because you are are using one version of VoodooPS2Controller (injecting from /CLOVER/kexts?) while another version remains in the kernelcache/prelinkedkernel (loaded from /S/L/E?).

Try removing FakeSMC & VoodooPS2Controller from /S/L/E and only injecting them from /CLOVER/kexts/Other.  First boot in verbose safe mode, -v -x, then rebuild kernelcache once you reach the desktop and terminal:

sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions
sudo kextcache -u /

Re USB Problems
The FakeSMC I am using also serves as a USB port injector for the MBP5,1 and MBP7,1 IOKitPersonalities.  Since I have renamed
EHCI to EH01 and EHC2 to EH02 in my dsdt, I have also used EH01 and EH02 for IONameMatch in the info.plist (inside FakeSMC/Contents folder).

post-846696-0-63333100-1499679713_thumb.png

If you are using immo's dsdts from the first post, but using my FakeSMC from post#1985, you can either edit your dsdt (so all EHCI--->EH01 and all EHC2--->EH02)

post-846696-0-34075700-1499679813_thumb.png

or edit the FakeSMC info.plist (so EH01--->EHCI and EH02--->EHC2).

Re Wireless Problems
Apple dropped a lot of legacy wireless cards from its supported list in Sierra/High Sierra (including the Dell DW1505 BCM4321 card :mad:).  I've had to revert to using my ASUS N10 wireless USB (with RTL8192SUs.kext and its own Wireless Utility) or replace your wireless card with one that is still supported - see this thread on unsupported Macs in Sierra.

I also forgot to mention that I also have no preference pane when I click on Trackpad in System Preferences. Is there an installer like VoodooHDA once had or is it just the VoodooPS2controller.kext that needs injecting? 

I now noticed a new problem. When I click on purchases in the app store it give me this error, An unexpected error occurred while signing in.Your device or computer could not be verified. Contact support for assistance.

Re Prefpane for VoodooPS2controller

I use @AndyV's VoodooPS2controller.kext v1.1.0 which doesn't come with a prefpane AFAIK.  @Rehabman's version comes with one but I haven't tested in Sierra/High Sierra ---> better to ask him for assistance for troubleshooting on your kps.

Re App Store Error

Most likely you haven't installed an ethernet kext for en0.  From immo's first post, the XPS M1330 needs BCM5722D.kext.

For the XPS M1530, we need to use @Rehabman's NullEthernet.kext (and ssdt-1 in /CLOVER/ACPI/patched) since the AppleYukon2.kext has to be disabled when using the MBP7,1 SMBIOS.

• Like 1

Good call on the usb fix, I didn't even realize I broke my El Capitan installation with your fakesmc.kext.

I reran the commands you mentioned in safe mode this time and still no luck on the trackpad buttons not freaking out but at least I'm able to write this post from inside the OS since I can now use a usb mouse, Thank You. I also forgot to mention that I also have no preference pane when I click on Trackpad in System Preferences. Is there an installer like VoodooHDA once had or is it just the VoodooPS2controller.kext that needs injecting? 

How do I attach my formerly working in El Capitan kext to this post for you to take a look at if you don't mind?

I now noticed a new problem. When I click on purchases in the app store it give me this error, An unexpected error occurred while signing in.Your device or computer could not be verified. Contact support for assistance.

• 2 weeks later...

@fusion71au, thanks again for sharing your work and files.  For Sierra are you using the SSDT-EC patch and SSDT-USBX patches for USB power Properties?  If your using a SystemDefinition that is included in the IOUSBHostFamily.kext/Contents/Info.plist then I believe you only need the SSDT-EC patch simple one, if not included in the Info.plist then SSDT-USBX patch also needed.   This is a guide by Rehabman USB Power Property Injection in Sierra

@fusion71au, thanks again for sharing your work and files.  For Sierra are you using the SSDT-EC patch and SSDT-USBX patches for USB power Properties?  If your using a SystemDefinition that is included in the IOUSBHostFamily.kext/Contents/Info.plist then I believe you only need the SSDT-EC patch simple one, if not included in the Info.plist then SSDT-USBX patch also needed.   This is a guide by Rehabman USB Power Property Injection in Sierra

I was not using @Rehabman's extra SSDTs in Sierra/HiSierra and did not notice any problems.  The XPS M1530 doesn't look like it has an embedded controller section in its dsdt so you can add a "dummy" one with SSDT-EC ---> allows loading of AppleBusPowerControllerUSB in ioreg.

Whether I placed SSDT-EC in CLOVER/ACPI/patched or not, the AppleBusPowerController.kext still loads ---> not sure what difference it makes.

post-846696-0-04986400-1500631700_thumb.png

Any ideas why activity monitor could be crashing after upgrade top Sierra?

No problems here after clean install of Sierra 10.12.6 (directly running Installer.app, same config files as post#1985 and using MBP7,1 SMBIOS) ....

post-846696-0-90260900-1500631988_thumb.png

• For the install, only use minimal kexts required for booting the system i.e. FakeSMC, VoodooPS2Controller and NullEthernet.kext injected from /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other.  
  • First boot to setup new user account needs to be done in verbose, safe mode (-v -x), then the Disabler.kext can be installed in /L/E or /S/L/E (otherwise AppleYukon2 panics).
  • Post install, extra kexts installed/loaded:

fusion71aus-MacBook-Pro:~ fusion71au$ kextstat | grep -v com.apple
Index Refs Address            Size       Wired      Name (Version) UUID <Linked Against>
   14    4 0xffffff7f82102000 0xb000     0xb000     org.netkas.FakeSMC (3.3.1) E1F871F7-AC14-3197-81D5-658C3522D3B8 <11 7 5 4 3>
   15    0 0xffffff7f8210d000 0xd000     0xd000     org.kozlek.GeforceSensor (1.0.2d1) 99554A3A-1C39-3515-8ED0-477716AD072E <14 12 7 5 4 3>
   16    0 0xffffff7f8211e000 0x2000     0x2000     org.slice.PC8739x (1) 39B124A6-61DE-3712-8D53-5FD98CEABAF4 <14 7 5 4 3>
   17    1 0xffffff7f80b84000 0x37000    0x37000    as.vit9696.Lilu (1.1.5) F86EC7D5-8C23-3F12-A247-9907F58F7D2B <7 5 4 3 2 1>
   18    0 0xffffff7f80bbb000 0x3000     0x3000     science.firewolf.NightShiftUnlocker (2.1) 956AC7FF-8927-3C1E-B94C-E538F52E91B5 <17 7 5 4 3 2 1>
   30    0 0xffffff7f82121000 0x3000     0x3000     org.slice.HWInfo (1) 97CB3F87-6634-3C09-B729-3CCD840234B7 <14 7 4 3>
   31    0 0xffffff7f82125000 0x6000     0x6000     org.slice.IntelCPUMonitor (1.1) 72853A13-DBCC-3F83-963A-0049C91024DC <14 7 5 4 3>
   39    0 0xffffff7f8212c000 0xa000     0xa000     org.voodoo.driver.PS2Controller (1.1.0) DC9B9051-93EA-08F1-80CE-948EFCFC4277 <11 7 5 4 3 1>
   46    0 0xffffff7f82136000 0x2000     0x2000     org.rehabman.driver.NullEthernet (1.0.3) 4B72A7F4-04C2-3EAC-BF31-168CFB428701 <45 11 5 4 3 1>
   49    0 0xffffff7f82139000 0x4000     0x4000     org.voodoo.driver.PS2Keyboard (1.1.0) F3D1B920-C6CE-4044-1864-402BB67E4C36 <42 5 4 3>
   53    0 0xffffff7f80c53000 0x2000     0x2000     net.osrom.kext.Disabler (1.0.1) 7D158CD9-D1C2-6ADC-D896-2FD8E29CD4AD <4 3>
   62    0 0xffffff7f8213d000 0xd000     0xd000     org.voodoo.driver.PS2Trackpad (1.1.0) 8A7ADEEA-CC81-E242-B66E-A9391BD4EFC9 <42 5 4 3>
   86    0 0xffffff7f8214e000 0xc0000    0xc0000    com.realtek.driver.RTL8192SU (1079) D70AA0E2-A664-0F3B-579D-8408E9DC9B21 <67 45 5 4 3 1>
  113    0 0xffffff7f822d1000 0x21000    0x21000    org.voodoo.driver.VoodooHDA (2.8.9) no UUID <112 12 7 5 4 3>

SSDT-EC.aml.zip

• Like 1

I got Sierra working well but no luck with High Sierra. I'm copying my working partition on to my windows SSD now which is MBR. Are there any tweaks or patches for disk utility that make it able to resize partitions and generally work like it does on GPT disks?

I also have an OLD 10.6.2 partition with working HDMI that I use a chameleon thumb drive to boot if needed but I would like to use clover for this too if possible. Does anyone know if that is possible since clover came out many years later if I remember correctly?

@macdanny,

AFAIK, Disk Utility is only able to manipulate partitions on GPT drives.

I would recommend backing up your Windows partition (eg with Macrium or Acronis), then converting the SSD to GPT, rather than keeping it MBR.  It's also possible to convert your MBR Windows to UEFI Windows by installing its UEFI loader (bootmgfw.efi) and BCD store with bcdboot.exe

Clover works best when all OS's are installed in UEFI mode eg

I am able to boot SL 10.6.8 to the current macOS 10.13 DB4, Windows 10 and Linux Mint 18.1 in UEFI mode with Clover r4128, all with the same MBP7,1 SMBIOS config...

post-846696-0-79051200-1501289708_thumb.png

post-846696-0-69078600-1501289659_thumb.png

post-846696-0-80802300-1501463796_thumb.png

@fusion71au

I had to rename AppleEFIRuntime.kext in /System/Library/Extensions to get Snow Leopard to boot with Clover 4128. Is that something you had to do also? Now I'm not able to get my audio working unless I put the kexts in S/L/E. Am I missing something on clover to inject them properly? I had a modified AppleHDA.kext working with Chameleon in S/L/E previously now for all newer OS's I use an HDAdisabler and VoodooHDA 2.8.8 but that's not working with Snow Leopard even when I put them in clovers 10.6 folder instead and/or other. Any ideas?

Does the M1530 have the same broken HDMI issues after 10.6.2 that the M1330 line has? I'm not able to output audio through HDMI but I don't really remember whether that ever worked previously. Thank you again for your awesome links above. I haven't converted that particular drive to GPT yet but I now have Win10 and Sierra working like a champ on a small MBR SSD which will still Bios boot Windows by marking it's partition active again in case clover ever chokes.

I only inject FakeSMC, VoodooPS2Controller and my ethernet kexts from /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/other.  All other kexts e.g. VoodooHDA and Disabler.kext installed in /L/E or S/L/E.  

Re SL 10.6.8, I just boot in 64bit mode with vanilla kexts (except VoodooHDA and Disabler.kext) in /S/L/E.  No rename for AppleEFIRuntime.kext required.

Re HDMI:  Yes, my system freezes when connected via HDMI cable to a monitor.  @SQeek reported working video but not audio in Mavericks - see post#1397.

@fusion71au

I had to rename AppleEFIRuntime.kext in /System/Library/Extensions to get Snow Leopard to boot with Clover 4128. Is that something you had to do also? Now I'm not able to get my audio working unless I put the kexts in S/L/E. Am I missing something on clover to inject them properly? I had a modified AppleHDA.kext working with Chameleon in S/L/E previously now for all newer OS's I use an HDAdisabler and VoodooHDA 2.8.8 but that's not working with Snow Leopard even when I put them in clovers 10.6 folder instead and/or other. Any ideas?

Does the M1530 have the same broken HDMI issues after 10.6.2 that the M1330 line has? I'm not able to output audio through HDMI but I don't really remember whether that ever worked previously. Thank you again for your awesome links above. I haven't converted that particular drive to GPT yet but I now have Win10 and Sierra working like a champ on a small MBR SSD which will still Bios boot Windows by marking it's partition active again in case clover ever chokes.

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys,

Successfully installed High Sierra Release 10.13_17A365 on my Dell XPS M1530/Intel T9300/GF 8600M (external HFS+ HDD for testing  :))...

post-846696-0-24475200-1506399861_thumb.png

Steps to install or upgrade install:
1)  Upgrade Clover to r4220 and latest config.plist & kexts for Sierra/High Sierra.
2)  Download "Install macOS High Sierra.app" v13.0.64 from Mac App Store.
3)  Prior to update, delete NVRAM.plist files from all EFI partitions (incl USB drives) and clear NVRAM (sudo NVRAM -c command in terminal).  This avoids "OSInstall.mpkg damaged/missing" error.
4)  Directly run "Install macOS High Sierra.app" from Applications folder, targeting the desired HFS+ or APFS installation partition --> automatically creates "macOS Install Data" folder on that volume...

post-846696-0-11231300-1506400057_thumb.png
post-846696-0-25499200-1506400093_thumb.png
post-846696-0-31419000-1506400134_thumb.png
post-846696-0-86521800-1506400170_thumb.png
post-846696-0-15573300-1506400240_thumb.png
post-846696-0-24400500-1506400293_thumb.png

5) At first restart, boot to "macOS Install" ---> files from install packages written to disk...

post-846696-0-92865100-1506400374_thumb.png
post-846696-0-29547400-1506400416_thumb.png
post-846696-0-90027400-1506400468_thumb.jpg

6) At second restart, boot to High Sierra partition, setup user etc.  If there is a kernel panic after kext caches are rebuilt, just boot again into High Sierra.  The Disabler.kext will prevent future panics once it is in the pre-linked kernel cache (blocks AppleYukon2.kext in /S/L/E).

Installation Notes
  • Clover's default values for FF/FFM/PF and BIOS ver/date/Board-ID data (MBP7,1 SMBIOS) --> avoids error while "verifying firmware".
  • Install apfs.efi driver in /EFI/CLOVER/drivers64 only if you need to install on APFS target volume.
  • If upgrading existing OS X on HDD, HFS+ is preserved (on SSD HFS+ will be converted automatically to APFS).

XPS M1530_Sierra&HiSierra.zip

Clover_v2.4k_r4220.pkg.zip

• Like 1