[GUIDE] Making a DSDT.aml for Dell XPS M1330, XPS M1530, and XPS M1730

immo

2,030 posts in this topic

<key>MacBookPro5,1</key>
                                <dict>...
NOTE: For the dump on dmesg i activated just a moment the logcontrol.

No dice :( I tried similar configurations but whenever control-id is set to 17 (Nvidia? Descrete?), I get a black screen on boot when the GUI is supposed to come up. I wonder if I botched my system up by using the NVidia web drivers? They have an option to use the standard OS-X drivers which I tried, but I still get the black screen.

Thanks for your help so far.

Immo

Mmm i dont have any kext or configs :S. I have only the GraphicsEnabler=yes :S. What is control-id 17?

In that Info.plist patch you showed me, it's the last line.

The NVidia Web Driver is a more up-to-date driver distributed by NVidia for Mac Pros. You can hack the installer to use it on our machines.

Some say there is a performance benefit, but honestly I didn't notice any difference.

I tried uninstalling the NVidia Web Driver and putting in GraphicsEnabler=yes (I thought it was there but maybe I pulled it out for the web driver), but I still have the same issue: a black screen with the patched AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext.

Immo

• Like 1

In that Info.plist patch you showed me, it's the last line.

The NVidia Web Driver is a more up-to-date driver distributed by NVidia for Mac Pros. You can hack the installer to use it on our machines.

Some say there is a performance benefit, but honestly I didn't notice any difference.

I tried uninstalling the NVidia Web Driver and putting in GraphicsEnabler=yes (I thought it was there but maybe I pulled it out for the web driver), but I still have the same issue: a black screen with the patched AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext.

Immo

Please, could u provide me a link for those drivers? I was searching on the main web of nvidia.. but i dont remember see drivers for mac, only for nvidia quadro :S

Now i am installing a clean install from maverick on m1330. I am really confused about the AppleHDA kext. :S

EDIT :thumbsup_anim: :

I just installed Maverick 10.9, fresh install, with the immo DSDT(HDEF version) and AppleHDA from fusion71au and the sound its working. I dont know why didnt work before :S.

Step 2: Upgrading to 10.9.5.. and check if it works.

EDIT 2 :hysterical: :

Tested, upgrading to 10.9.5 the AppleHDA stop working. I dont have any sound devices. This is the problem. But... there is any posibility to upgrade the AppleHDA to 10.9.5? How could it be?

EDIT 3:

On the upgrade to 10.9.5, the kext AppleHDA is upgraded too and it is removed our version. Reinstalling our Kext.

EDIT 4:

The sound is working again :w00t: . I cant explain why the sound didnt work on my last install :( .

EDIT 5:

I am going to do a whole backup. Take this kext from SLE, restore my last backup and drop all modules.

EDIT 6:

i have already copied all kext from a clean install and upgraded Maverick 10.9.5  to my working 10.9.5 system and the sound is working now! I dont know why, but the only problem was on the kext i have installed. I will compare the 2 dirs of kext to see what was the error.

EDIT 7:

Note:

- "ANTIGUO"="old" on spanish. This is my version of 10.9.5 with the problem of AppleHDA (now is working)

- "FRESH". Clean install of Maverick and upgraded to 10.9.5 with only DSDT HDEF, AppleHDA and VoodooPS2.

sh-3.2# diff -qr ANTIGUO_10.9.5/ FRESH_10.9.5/Only in ANTIGUO_10.9.5/: ACPIMonitor.kext
Only in ANTIGUO_10.9.5/: ADT7470.kext
Only in ANTIGUO_10.9.5/: Andigilog.kext
Files ANTIGUO_10.9.5/AppleACPIPlatform.kext/Contents/Info.plist and FRESH_10.9.5/AppleACPIPlatform.kext/Contents/Info.plist differ
Files ANTIGUO_10.9.5/AppleACPIPlatform.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleACPIPlatform and FRESH_10.9.5/AppleACPIPlatform.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleACPIPlatform differ
Files ANTIGUO_10.9.5/AppleACPIPlatform.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleACPIButtons.kext/Contents/Info.plist and FRESH_10.9.5/AppleACPIPlatform.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleACPIButtons.kext/Contents/Info.plist differ
Files ANTIGUO_10.9.5/AppleACPIPlatform.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleACPIButtons.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleACPIButtons and FRESH_10.9.5/AppleACPIPlatform.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleACPIButtons.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleACPIButtons differ
Files ANTIGUO_10.9.5/AppleACPIPlatform.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleACPIButtons.kext/Contents/_CodeSignature/CodeResources and FRESH_10.9.5/AppleACPIPlatform.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleACPIButtons.kext/Contents/_CodeSignature/CodeResources differ
Files ANTIGUO_10.9.5/AppleACPIPlatform.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleACPIButtons.kext/Contents/version.plist and FRESH_10.9.5/AppleACPIPlatform.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleACPIButtons.kext/Contents/version.plist differ
Files ANTIGUO_10.9.5/AppleACPIPlatform.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleACPIEC.kext/Contents/Info.plist and FRESH_10.9.5/AppleACPIPlatform.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleACPIEC.kext/Contents/Info.plist differ
Files ANTIGUO_10.9.5/AppleACPIPlatform.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleACPIEC.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleACPIEC and FRESH_10.9.5/AppleACPIPlatform.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleACPIEC.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleACPIEC differ
Files ANTIGUO_10.9.5/AppleACPIPlatform.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleACPIEC.kext/Contents/_CodeSignature/CodeResources and FRESH_10.9.5/AppleACPIPlatform.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleACPIEC.kext/Contents/_CodeSignature/CodeResources differ
Files ANTIGUO_10.9.5/AppleACPIPlatform.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleACPIEC.kext/Contents/version.plist and FRESH_10.9.5/AppleACPIPlatform.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleACPIEC.kext/Contents/version.plist differ
Files ANTIGUO_10.9.5/AppleACPIPlatform.kext/Contents/_CodeSignature/CodeResources and FRESH_10.9.5/AppleACPIPlatform.kext/Contents/_CodeSignature/CodeResources differ
Files ANTIGUO_10.9.5/AppleACPIPlatform.kext/Contents/version.plist and FRESH_10.9.5/AppleACPIPlatform.kext/Contents/version.plist differ
Files ANTIGUO_10.9.5/AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext/Contents/Info.plist and FRESH_10.9.5/AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext/Contents/Info.plist differ
Only in ANTIGUO_10.9.5/AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext/Contents: Info.plist.bak
Files ANTIGUO_10.9.5/AppleKextExcludeList.kext/Contents/Info.plist and FRESH_10.9.5/AppleKextExcludeList.kext/Contents/Info.plist differ
Only in ANTIGUO_10.9.5/AppleKextExcludeList.kext/Contents: Info_1.24.plist
Files ANTIGUO_10.9.5/AppleRTC.kext/Contents/Info.plist and FRESH_10.9.5/AppleRTC.kext/Contents/Info.plist differ
Files ANTIGUO_10.9.5/AppleRTC.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleRTC and FRESH_10.9.5/AppleRTC.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleRTC differ
Files ANTIGUO_10.9.5/AppleRTC.kext/Contents/_CodeSignature/CodeResources and FRESH_10.9.5/AppleRTC.kext/Contents/_CodeSignature/CodeResources differ
Files ANTIGUO_10.9.5/AppleRTC.kext/Contents/version.plist and FRESH_10.9.5/AppleRTC.kext/Contents/version.plist differ
Only in ANTIGUO_10.9.5/: BCM5722D.kext
Only in ANTIGUO_10.9.5/: EPSONUSBPrintClass.kext
Files ANTIGUO_10.9.5/FakeSMC.kext/Contents/Info.plist and FRESH_10.9.5/FakeSMC.kext/Contents/Info.plist differ
Only in FRESH_10.9.5/FakeSMC.kext/Contents: Plugins
Only in ANTIGUO_10.9.5/FakeSMC.kext/Contents: _CodeSignature
Only in ANTIGUO_10.9.5/: GeforceSensor.kext
Only in ANTIGUO_10.9.5/: HWInfo.kext
Files ANTIGUO_10.9.5/IOAHCIFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/IOAHCIBlockStorage.kext/Contents/MacOS/IOAHCIBlockStorage and FRESH_10.9.5/IOAHCIFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/IOAHCIBlockStorage.kext/Contents/MacOS/IOAHCIBlockStorage differ
Only in ANTIGUO_10.9.5/IOAHCIFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/IOAHCIBlockStorage.kext/Contents/MacOS: IOAHCIBlockStorage.backup
Only in ANTIGUO_10.9.5/: IntelCPUMonitor.kext
Only in ANTIGUO_10.9.5/: PACESupport.kext
Only in ANTIGUO_10.9.5/: PACESupport2.kext
Only in ANTIGUO_10.9.5/: PACESupportFamily.kext
Only in ANTIGUO_10.9.5/: VoodooBattery.kext
Files ANTIGUO_10.9.5/VoodooPS2Controller.kext/Contents/Info.plist and FRESH_10.9.5/VoodooPS2Controller.kext/Contents/Info.plist differ
Files ANTIGUO_10.9.5/VoodooPS2Controller.kext/Contents/PlugIns/VoodooPS2Keyboard.kext/Contents/Info.plist and FRESH_10.9.5/VoodooPS2Controller.kext/Contents/PlugIns/VoodooPS2Keyboard.kext/Contents/Info.plist differ
Files ANTIGUO_10.9.5/VoodooPS2Controller.kext/Contents/PlugIns/VoodooPS2Trackpad.kext/Contents/Info.plist and FRESH_10.9.5/VoodooPS2Controller.kext/Contents/PlugIns/VoodooPS2Trackpad.kext/Contents/Info.plist differ
Only in ANTIGUO_10.9.5/: VoodooSDHC.kext
Files ANTIGUO_10.9.5/msdosfs.kext/Contents/Info.plist and FRESH_10.9.5/msdosfs.kext/Contents/Info.plist differ
Only in ANTIGUO_10.9.5/msdosfs.kext/Contents: Info_1.9.plist
sh-3.2# 

EDIT 8:

I noticed this errors during boot:

Sound assertion "0 != result" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-174.1.1/AppleHDA/AppleHDAPath.cpp" at line 1200 goto ExitSound assertion "0 != pathSet->getWidgetAmplifierGainRange ( &zeroValue, &minValue, &maxValue, &minDB, &maxDB, kPATH_CONTROL_SPATIAL_CHANNELID_Master )" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-174.1.1/AppleHDA/AppleHDAEngine.cpp" at line 278 goto handler
Sound assertion "0 != result" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-174.1.1/AppleHDA/AppleHDAWidget.cpp" at line 3206 goto handler
Sound assertion "0 != widget->setUnsolicited ( true )" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-174.1.1/AppleHDA/AppleHDACodecGeneric.cpp" at line 890 goto handler

When i use the hot keys for up and down volume always start from 100%. Has someone this problem too?

• Like 1

Please, could u provide me a link for those drivers? I was searching on the main web of nvidia.. but i dont remember see drivers for mac, only for nvidia quadro :S

Latest Web Drivers:

http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/77751/en-us

Patch instructions here:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/295925-nvidia-retail-drivers-for-mavericks/?p=1999370

Immo

• Like 2

So guys,

Long time, Yosemite party over weekend ?  :wink_anim:

It would be great.. but i prefer stay on Maverick. I have runing After effects CS6 and there is not patch yet.

https://blogs.adobe.com/aftereffects/2014/06/after-effects-and-mac-osx-v10-10-yosemite.html

Have you noticed improvement?

GeForce 600 Series:

GeForce GTX 680

GeForce 200 Series:

GeForce GTX 285

GeForce 100 Series:

GeForce GT 120

GeForce 8 Series:

GeForce 8800 GT

Quadro Series:

Quadro K5000 for Mac, Quadro 4000 for Mac

Quadro FX Series:Quadro FX 4800, Quadro FX 5600

I think the only card supported is the 8800 GT, no the whole 8 series. :blush:

It would be great.. but i prefer stay on Maverick. I have runing After effects CS6 and there is not patch yet.

https://blogs.adobe.com/aftereffects/2014/06/after-effects-and-mac-osx-v10-10-yosemite.html

Have you noticed improvement?

I think the only card supported is the 8800 GT, no the whole 8 series. :blush:

Haven't really noticed improvement, but they do work fine on 8400M if you patch the installer! I've been using them for months.

OS-X is only supported on Macs ;)

So guys,

I'm not diving in either (not even on my real Mac), as Apple X.0 versions are notorious for having serious issues, but I'm very interested in hearing how it goes if you try it!

• Like 2

So guys,

I installed it on my Mac Pro Yesterday, today I will install it on my office’s iMac, and maybe on my XPS M1330 on the weekend.

But I really hate all the FLAT DESIGN and the new colors  :mad:  :angry:  :thumbsdown_anim:  :censored:

• Like 1

Hi all, long lime lurker, first time poster.

I know Yosemite has just been released, but after it has been vetted can someone here with more knowledge than myself post a guide for installing Yosemite for the m1530?

I've been running a hackintosh on this machine since Snow Leopard so I can do it if assisted.

Thanks for all the insight that this forum has shared over the years.

@dsmarff,

I've had Yosemite running on my XPSm1530 since DP1 :).

The installation procedure hasn't changed - see post #1715.  The process can also be done completely using terminal:

Assuming "Install OS X Yosemite.app" is in the Applications folder and your USB is named "Installer", run these commands consecutively in OSX terminal to create a vanilla USB installer, then install your bootloader....

sudo hdiutil attach /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Yosemite.app/Contents/SharedSupport/InstallESD.dmg
sudo asr restore -source /Volumes/OS\ X\ Install\ ESD/BaseSystem.dmg  -target /Volumes/Installer -erase -format HFS+ -noprompt -noverify
rm /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System/System/Installation/Packages
cp -av /Volumes/OS\ X\ Install\ ESD/Packages /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System/System/Installation/Packages
cp -av /Volumes/OS\ X\ Install\ ESD/BaseSystem.dmg /Volumes/OS\ X\ Install\ ESD/BaseSystem.chunklist /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System
diskutil unmount /Volumes/OS\ X\ Install\ ESD

The attached shell script "yosemite_installer.command" automates the process - double click on the file in Finder and provide your admin password (credits to @snatch & @toleda).

@indiandragon,

I've been at the pre-party waiting for you guys :lol::P.  The upgrade to Yosemite should be a relatively straight forward affair, especially if you use Clover as your bootloader.

I understand the caution of @DarwinX and @immo since its still early days for Yosemite and not everything will work (since some programs and drivers maybe incompatible).

A big problem for Chameleon users is that FileNVRAM 1.1.3 is incompatible with OSX 10.10 so no iMessage/Facetime unless you use Clover or the developers update the FileNVRAM module.

For the XPSm1530, I still get a reboot if invoking sleep a second time (after a successful first sleep/wake cycle)....still haven't figured that one out so Mavericks will still be on my main HD for a while....

Edit 10/18/14:

Successfully installed OSX 10.10 14A389 over the top of GM RC3, using Clover r2916 Installer USB....everything still works including sound, iMessages/Facetime, shutdown etc.

post-846696-0-68939800-1413610083_thumb.jpg

Clover r2916 able to boot Yosemite, Snow Leopard, Mavericks, Windows 7 & OSX Recovery Partition...

post-846696-0-83869200-1413610298_thumb.png

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Just for kicks, I tried the native Apple installer method on my desktop rig and it also worked perfectly :).

So if you use Clover as your bootloader, you can directly upgrade to Yosemite 14A389 by running the "Install OS X Yosemite.app".  The screenshots below show an upgrade from GM RC3 to the final retail release version but I've also upgraded a hard drive install of Mavericks to Yosemite the same way as well.

Note: Make sure you have installed HFSPlus.efi in EFI/CLOVER/drivers64 & EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI (to replace VBoxHfs-64.efi) and boot Clover with injected kexts (FakeSMC & VoodooPS2Controller in EFI/CLOVER/Kexts/Other or 10.10).

Steps

1.  Run the installer from the Applications Folder

post-846696-0-74577800-1413624085_thumb.

2.  After the installer places files on the hard drive, the system will reboot ---> at the Clover menu, choose the "Boot OS X Install from xxx" option...

post-846696-0-61216400-1413624241_thumb.

3.  You will see the Apple logo and progress bar and then the real installation process begins...

post-846696-0-06884200-1413624451_thumb.

4.  At the completion of the real installation, the system will reboot a final time ---> at the Clover menu, now choose the "Boot Mac OS X from xxx"

post-846696-0-33445500-1413624867_thumb.

5.  You will now arrive at Yosemite's login screen.  For me, all settings were intact and audio still worked (I use Piker-Alpha support kext method to patch AppleHDA for my desktop system).

yosemite_installer.zip

• Like 4

Edit 10/18/14:

Successfully installed OSX 10.10 14A389 over the top of GM RC3, using Clover r2916 Installer USB....everything still works including sound, iMessages/Facetime, shutdown etc.

attachicon.gifYosemite 14A389.jpg

Clover r2916 able to boot Yosemite, Snow Leopard, Mavericks, Windows 7 & OSX Recovery Partition...

attachicon.gifOSX 10.6-10.10.png

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Just for kicks, I tried the native Apple installer method on my desktop rig and it also worked perfectly :).

This stuff is gold man! Thanks for sharing. I'm going to reference it in the first post.

Just to be clear, about iMessage/Facetime working, is that even with a generated serial, or do you need a true MAC serial?

• Like 1

Hi immo!

Thanks for the kind words. 

Re iMessage/Facetime activation:  I use the MLB & ROM from my 2012 Mac Mini in the config.plist of my hack(s). 

For activation to be successful, the MLB/ROM combination must be registered on Apple’s servers and NVRAM working.  This is obviously true for MLB/ROM obtained from real Macs but the generated values from hacks aren’t - hence the need to contact Apple support and provide them with the customer support error code to validate/register fake serials.

AFAIK,  Chameleon's FileNVRAM module does not work at all in Yosemite so iMessage/Facetime will fail, even with genuine serials....

@chris1111,

These machines work very well with OSX :D.  I need mine to break down before I have an excuse to buy a retina MBP :drool:.

• Like 2

Off topic :)  

This thread stay on top after 5 years 

Congrat Immo ! B)

Thank you! I silently noted that the last update I did to the front post :lol:  With the time-bomb video chips in these computers, I'm surprised that our computers are still going even! It's been a lot of fun Hackintoshing with all of you these past 5 years. I share fusion71au's view that I'll most likely be sticking with this thing until it dies (and a Retina MBP is at the top of my list, but that new 5K iMac also looks beautiful...). Thanks as always for sharing your knowledge.

Cheers!

Immo

• Like 4

Dell Inspiron 1520, 1420, 1720 ,1x2x OSX 10.10 Yosemite installation Procedure

Choosing Bootloader ,

Clover :  Great work done by @fusion71au with clover & Yosemite. You should follow his guide here : http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/190780-guide-making-a-dsdtaml-for-dell-xps-m1330-xps-m1530-and-xps-m1730/page-86?do=findComment&comment=2023821

Chameleon :  Use USB installer by @chris111 : http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/301138-new-usb-installer-os-x-yosemite-chameleon-enoch-r2403/

Which boot loader is right for me ?

If you have intel Memron based cpu - T7xxx , then you are probably affected by incorrect FSB/Multiplier and so if you use Clover it will try to set the  BusFrequency to the maximum supported by the CPU, which is good for other CPU’s except our Memron’s.

At highest Bus Frequency, there will clock sync issues such as AppleHDA/VoodooHDA crackling etc.

Chameleon seems to some how set a BusFrequency at the appropriate level i.e 181000kHz for my T7250, which is stable for Audio but at the cost of loosing 200mHz of CPU clock.

So if you want audio to work OOB without meddling with boot loader configuration settings, then you should choose Chameleon at the expense of loosing iMessage, FaceTime. You can use Clover and set BusFrequency manually, but you need to find the appropriate Frequency by Trial. Either way, we would loose some clock speed owing to stability, till clover  (or) chameleon get’s their clock setting algorithm updated to address Memron CPU’s.

You can check the status here - http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/284656-clover-general-discussion/?p=2072166 . If you face this issue, please post your data in the above thread.

AppleGraphicsPowerManagement :

You need this patched for efficient power management and to protect our ill fated Nvidia GT 8xxxM from frying up.

Technicality : http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/190780-guide-making-a-dsdtaml-for-dell-xps-m1330-xps-m1530-and-xps-m1730/page-84?do=findComment&comment=1994302

Working :

Everything i.e like past 6  years except Shutdown. Which might never work.

To quote here for my other friends using m1330 here, Sleep is working as it should. Btw, I didn’t have any of sleep issue with  10.9.5 as well. As already stated it might be cause I don’t use VoodooHDA. 

Attachments :

Yosemite-10.10-indiandragon-package.zip

1. AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext  Version: 100.14.37

2. DSDT.aml

3. AppleHDA + FakeSTAC9205 (This is from Snowleopard era, but still works great. If you are interested, you can try patching latest Apple HDA for STAC9205 codec as well and share it here :P ).

Sixth iteration and counting !

post-269203-0-91730200-1413784460_thumb.png

Kudos to all the hardwork from selfless people of insanelymac, Dell for producing a good quality hardware though with some minor quirks, Apple for making a great Operating System which runs great even in the machines in which it is not supposed to run :P and of course all my friends from this thread.

About Yosemite, It's kinda like the iOS on 15.6” screen and I like it cause the flat design somewhat camouflage the wrong pixels in the display :D

• Like 4

No dice :( I tried similar configurations but whenever control-id is set to 17 (Nvidia? Descrete?), I get a black screen on boot when the GUI is supposed to come up. I wonder if I botched my system up by using the NVidia web drivers? They have an option to use the standard OS-X drivers which I tried, but I still get the black screen.

Thanks for your help so far.

Immo

OK got G-state switching reportedly working as according to console! I had to change my computer type from MacBook5,2 to MacBookPro5,1 (guess it doesn't like NVidia configuration set up for a computer with only integrated graphics). I was afraid to try this earlier because I didn't know what the consequences would be of changing my model and serial to match with regards to iCloud, purchases, etc, but so far everything seems OK.

There is still something that doesn't seem right:

I use Slice's HWSensors posted here:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/190780-guide-making-a-dsdtaml-for-dell-xps-m1330-xps-m1530-and-xps-m1730/?p=2045599

As according to HWMonitor, no matter whether in GPU PState 0 or 1, GPU Core and Shaders stay fixed at 400MHz and 800MHz respectively. Is it a bad reading or are the states not switching?

Immo

Dell Inspiron 1520, 1420, 1720 ,1x2x OSX 10.10 Yosemite installation Procedure

Thanks for sharing! I've referenced this guide on the first post as well.

Immo

• Like 1

OK got G-state switching reportedly working as according to console! I had to change my computer type from MacBook5,2 to MacBookPro5,1 (guess it doesn't like NVidia configuration set up for a computer with only integrated graphics). I was afraid to try this earlier because I didn't know what the consequences would be of changing my model and serial to match with regards to iCloud, purchases, etc, but so far everything seems OK.

There is still something that doesn't seem right:

I use Slice's HWSensors posted here:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/190780-guide-making-a-dsdtaml-for-dell-xps-m1330-xps-m1530-and-xps-m1730/?p=2045599

As according to HWMonitor, no matter whether in GPU PState 0 or 1, GPU Core and Shaders stay fixed at 400MHz and 800MHz respectively. Is it a bad reading or are the states not switching?

Immo

Thanks for sharing! I've referenced this guide on the first post as well.

Immo

Nice!!! :thumbsup_anim: . But.. do u have now the nvidia drivers plus AGPM modified? or only AGPM modified?

Anyway, i think u could make it works on MacBookPro5,2 section, maybe?

I have switching GPU freq on my dell with hwmonitor. I dont remember where i downloaded it because i downloaded a whole of FakeSMC and programs monitor and no one worked but this:

HWMonitor version: "Bundle Version 634"

FakeSMC: "Bundle Version 3.3.1"

GeforceSensor: "Bundle Version 1.0.2d1"

I think this is the correct versions showed on info.plist, isnt it? If not, where can i find the version?

PD: If u dont find the files as mine (or better), i will upload the Kext and HWMonitor.

So guys,

Guys, take care about Yosemite. I dont wanna fu*k this party.. but I have read a article that says it reports info about user and system:

https://github.com/fix-macosx/yosemite-phone-home/ :(

http://www.theverge.com/2014/10/20/7022881/apple-yosemite-spotlight-privacy-concerns

http://www.wired.com/2014/10/how-to-fix-os-x-yosemite-search/

I dont know how it works, but i give u some link to read.

• Like 3

I have switching GPU freq on my dell with hwmonitor. I dont remember where i downloaded it because i downloaded a whole of FakeSMC and programs monitor and no one worked but this:

HWMonitor version: "Bundle Version 634"

FakeSMC: "Bundle Version 3.3.1"

GeforceSensor: "Bundle Version 1.0.2d1"

Guys, take care about Yosemite. I dont wanna fu*k this party.. but I have read a article that says it reports info about user and system:

http://www.theverge.com/2014/10/20/7022881/apple-yosemite-spotlight-privacy-concerns

Hi Iaostia. I have the same kext versions as you. I'm not sure about the HWMonitor though. I found a more recent one (731) and still get the same behavior. I don't think it would be the HWMonitor because it's just reporting the data that comes from the kexts.

I've tried rolling back to no NVidia web drivers via uninstall, and I've also tried with the NVidia web drivers. Same behavior both ways. States change but HWMonitor does not see the GPU frequency go down.

About the reporting to Apple, I wouldn't worry too much. They are just taking your spotlight searches in order to give adequate search results, much like Google does in their search. They claim to not be and I doubt they would be collecting your personal information. They wouldn't get away with that.

Immo

• Like 1

I have uploaded here my FakeSMC (with intel and geforce plugin) and HWMonitor app:

http://we.tl/JA8eWp8OuB

I hope it works :)

Thank you Iaostia. Unfortunately the exact same problem. Console reports states changing between zero and one as expected, but frequencies do not change as reported by HWMonitor. It looks like I was using the exact same versions as you for kexts and HWMonitor. The only difference is you had them installed as plugins into FakeSMC, and I had them installed outside, which does not appear to make a difference. Not an easy one to solve it seams...

Immo

I think the order of information is:

- Driver Nvidia -> AGPM -> FakeSMC Plugin Nvidia -> HW Monitor

If all its the same less the nvidia driver... :S. Maybe there is something of nvidia driver still runing?

I paste here my all files on SLE (find /System/Library/Extensions -type f). Make a diff with mine, i have the less kext modiffied possible.

NOTE: I upload the files txt because i block the forum with all info XD.

http://we.tl/AbfUoxTudo

laostia,  I noticed the abnormal connections with little snitch the first time I booted. I just blocked the sh** out :D  But as immo says, Apple promises to use it for improving search’s and associate with a random temporary id for 15 mins and then delete it. Anyways it’s good to be cautious though !

Thank you Iaostia. Unfortunately the exact same problem. Console reports states changing between zero and one as expected, but frequencies do not change as reported by HWMonitor. It looks like I was using the exact same versions as you for kexts and HWMonitor. The only difference is you had them installed as plugins into FakeSMC, and I had them installed outside, which does not appear to make a difference. Not an easy one to solve it seams...

Immo

immo,  the way I’ve patched - seem to get three states switching perfectly (though I’ve given only two states  :whistle: ).  Can you try the same way ? Btw I don’t see the switching in the HW Sensor’s though, curious to see laostia’s got it working. Let us know when you’ve got it .

My Console Output :

AGPM-States.tiff

Inference on Sleep :

Though sleep is working as it should, I noticed  few issues when waking up from sleep/hibernate after power drain (wasn’t able to boot up till I deleted the hibernate file manually). Since then I’ve set to hibernate mode to 0 to avoid saving to disk as the saved file is encrypted i.e Secure virtual memory.  So, I feel whether disabling secure virtual memory will give a better sleep/hibernate ? Though I do not have any issues with sleep now, I’m cautious to put it that way as at low battery it could still hibernate and wouldn’t boot up.

Unfortunately,

neither this,

$ sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.virtualMemory UseEncryptedSwap -boolean no

nor this,

$ sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.virtualMemory DisableEncryptedSwap -boolean yes

disables secure virtual memory. Confirm it by,

$ sysctl vm.swapusage
vm.swapusage: total = 64.00M  used = 0.00M  free = 64.00M  (encrypted)

That (encrypted) shouldn’t be there. So can anyone suggest a better way to disable the secure virtual memory ? I think it might be solution for 'better sleep’ ;) for all of us. 

• Like 2