[GUIDE] Making a DSDT.aml for Dell XPS M1330, XPS M1530, and XPS M1730

immo

2,030 posts in this topic

I used a brute force method to restore fully functioning sleep on my XPSm1530 for 10.9.2.  Since I needed to manipulate system files, I booted into a spare OSX installation on an external USB HD.

1. Show hidden files in Finder

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles 1 && killall Finder

2. Renamed the mach_kernel on the root directory ----> OG.mach_kernel

3. Renamed /System/Library/Extensions ----> System/Library/OG.Extensions

4. Copied 10.9.1 mach_kernel to the root directory

5. Copied S/L/E from a working 10.9.1 install on USB hard drive to System/Library folder (this included regressed

AppleACPIPlatform.kext 1.1MB size)

6. Repaired permissions with Disk Utility

7. Booted into Mavericks without caches with Clover

About This Mac still shows system as 10.9.2 and system as up to date

post-846696-0-06764700-1394963305_thumb.png

System still fixed with regard to the "gotofail" bug like "proper" 10.9.2

post-846696-0-82360800-1394965886_thumb.png

Sleep returned to 100% normal and all applications, iMessage, iCloud etc still work.  Thank god for backups :D.

If you don't have a backup copy of 10.9.1 S/L/E and mach_kernel from a working install or backup, you could use Pacifist to extract these files and folders from a copy of 10.9.0 or 10.9.1 Install OS X Mavericks.app as shown below....

post-846696-0-60981500-1394966612_thumb.png

• Like 2

Thanks Mirko :).

Unfortunately the XPS m1530 looks like the odd one out here...from previous reports, the m1330 and Inspiron 1520, 1720 etc all have working sleep with the native Mavericks AppleACPIPlatform.kext.  For the m1530, you only get one successful sleep-wake cycle.

Anyway on the bright side, the XPSm1530 does have working shutdown compared to its siblings :P .

As you said going to sleep has never been a issue in Inspiron 1520, but shutdown and occasional wake up yes  :blush: . Can’t deny, shutting down the machine with power button like IBM cyrix time’s are bit tedious. If we forget to hard power off the system, the system goes into  what I call the 'heater mode ‘ with display ‘off’ and processor halted  :P  (But what actually is generating heat ?) But I never actually tried to dive deep into the shutdown issue. If anyone else is interested let me know.

Wake up from sleep breaks occasionally and the system goes into heater mode or the system tries to wake up from sleep by itself on quite few occasions and goes into heater mode again. So I’ve decided not to use sleep again in order to prevent hardware damage.

Please find the updated AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext for 10.9.2 

AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext Version - 100.14.15 (8600mGT, probably 8400mGT also)

AGPM_Patched_100.14.15_8600mGT.zip

---------x-----------------------------------------------------------------------x

Tried Clover at last !

At last got a chance to try Clover on my Friend’s Lenovo G580 . Had some trouble initially with getting used to EFI, so used legacy mode (our mode :P) to install Mavericks. But later cleared the issues and might probably run well under EFI too. Chameleon might be good for any system pre windows 8 but clover seems indispensable for any machine after that.

Btw, guys MBR is dead :( Gosh I felt very old when dealing with EFI :lol: .

• Like 2

we don't use shutdown anyway    :P

:hysterical:

edit:

@fusion

bought surface pro 2 few mins ago on ebay.de for 1000usd 128gb  :afro:

please take a quick peek  :wub:

This is Mavericks on Surface Pro 1! with old touch drivers(one pressure sensitivity only...new wacom driver works perfect but couldn't find that vid) 

And this is...you will see hahahha

Sketching on surface!!

:D

:hyper:

:guitar:

Amazing, - http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/292645-guide-surfacepro-1-2-osx-android-windows-multiboot/

This makes Surface pro the best tablet out there ! I had been scoffing at anyone who bought a Surface :D It’s time to buy them some pizzas :P

• Like 1

I used a brute force method to restore fully functioning sleep on my XPSm1530 for 10.9.2.

1. Renamed mach_kernel in root ----> OG.mach_kernel
  2. Renamed /System/Library/Extensions ----> System/Library/OG.Extensions
  3. Copied 10.9.1 mach_kernel to the root directory
  4. Copied S/L/E from a working 10.9.1 install on USB hard drive to System/Library folder (this included regressed AppleACPIPlatform.kext 1.1MB size)
  5. Repaired permissions with Disk Utility
  6. Booted into Mavericks without caches with Clover

About This Mac still shows system as 10.9.2 and system as up to date

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2014-03-16 at 8.44.02 pm.png

System still fixed with regard to the "gotofail" bug like "proper" 10.9.2

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2014-03-16 at 9.27.10 pm.png

Sleep returned to 100% normal and all applications, iMessage, iCloud etc still work.  Thank god for backups :D.

If you don't have a backup copy of 10.9.1 S/L/E and mach_kernel from a working install or backup, you could use Pacifist to extract these files and folders from a copy of 10.9.0 or 10.9.1 Install OS X Mavericks.app as shown below....

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2014-03-16 at 9.41.32 pm.png

Uhh, doesn't replacing the mach_kernel with an older version make it not 10.9.2 anymore?  besides, the 10.9.2 kernel was working fine until I tried to use clover from a thumbdrive...  I think you missed that part.

@lulighttec,

Strictly speaking, the only machines running 100% vanilla OSX 10.9.2 are real macs :).  By definition, all hackintoshes require modifications to the OSX install in order to make them work - it is only a question of degree and semantics here.

Ideally, I would prefer to use the native 10.9.2 kexts and kernel but they are incompatible with the regressed AppleACPIPlatform.kext that provides for fully functional sleep in the XPS m1530.  Essentially my solution is a hybrid install -10.9.1 kexts&kernel/10.9.2 applications and frameworks.  It is important to note that the 10.9.2 kernel & kexts provide no additional functionality for our aging machines - the changes are mainly to take advantage of the newer Haswell processors and motherboards.  I can also easily revert back to the original 10.9.2 kexts & kernel by renaming the respective folder and file.

If you look back at your earlier posts, you started complaining about sleep problems in Jan when your machine was on 10.9.1 (10.9.2 only came out in late Feb) so I doubt "the 10.9.2 kernel was working fine until I tried to use clover from a thumbdrive".  Everyone else reported fully functional sleep in 10.9.1 with the regressed AppleACPIPlatform.kext.

To date you have not provided me convincing proof that the sleep problems were caused by using Clover on a thumb drive....much more likely a hardware issue or an operator error causing corruption to your Mavericks HD install eg your different mail prefpane you mentioned a few posts back implies an incomplete install or even a failed attempt to restore from timemachine backup....

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

I was playing around with the latest Hackintosh Vietnam Tool (an excellent collection of hackintosh utilities compiled by @pokenguyen) and installed the new Alps Touchpad driver aka VoodooPS2Controller.kext ver 1.8.9 from the rehabman/master into bpedman_merge.

post-846696-0-29914000-1397563157_thumb.png

It has support for multi-touch gestures, is fully integrated with the native trackpad prefpane (in settings) and seems quite stable.  I recommend other XPSm1530 users try it out :).

VoodooPS2Controller.kext.zip

• Like 3

Hi Guys,

I was playing around with the latest Hackintosh Vietnam Tool (an excellent collection of hackintosh utilities compiled by @pokenguyen) and installed the new Alps Touchpad driver aka VoodooPS2Controller.kext ver 1.8.9 from the rehabman/master into bpedman_merge.

It has support for multi-touch gestures, is fully integrated with the native trackpad prefpane (in settings) and seems quite stable.  I recommend other XPSm1530 users try it out :).

Quite nice, Thank You. Do you happen to have the native TrackPad.prefPane for either 10.8 or 10.9 or both? If so, would you mind sharing it as I have long ago deleted mine.

@DarwinX 10.9.2 Trackpad.prefPane.  Don't have the one for 10.8.

This Trackpad.prefPane is working beautifully with the provided VoodooPS2Controller.ketx version 1.8.9 under both the 10.8 and the 10.9.

However, the tracking and scrolling speeds are extremely slow despite my adjusting them all the way up in the Trackpad.prefPane.

Any ideas?

TBH the default speed for tracking and scrolling seem OK to me....with a light touch, the pointer seems to move quite fast (slower if you press the trackpad harder).

Check that you have deleted all traces of the old VoodooPS2Controller.kext, repair permissions and rebuild caches with Kext Utility (someone reported kext wizard being flaky in 10.9)?  I actually installed the new kext directly with the Hackintosh Vietnam Tool (after first deleting the old VoodooPS2Controller.kext in S/L/E).

Discussion about the driver is happening @OSXLatitude.  To make sure the right kext is loading, @sontrg in post #373 suggests typing

kextstat | grep rehabman

29    2 0xffffff7f80cc3000 0xb000     0xb000     org.rehabman.voodoo.driver.PS2Controller (1.8.9) <10 7 5 4 3 1>
   49    0 0xffffff7f82248000 0x6000     0x6000     org.rehabman.driver.AppleSmartBatteryManager (1.40) <10 4 3>
   60    0 0xffffff7f80ce6000 0x5000     0x5000     org.rehabman.voodoo.driver.PS2Keyboard (1.8.9) <45 29 7 6 5 4 3 1>
   61    0 0xffffff7f80cd1000 0xf000     0xf000     org.rehabman.voodoo.driver.PS2Trackpad (1.8.9) <45 29 7 6 5 4 3 1>

in terminal and see if 'org.rehabman.voodoo.driver.PS2Trackpad' is present (if you can't find that, the kext is not loaded).

If it is loading, type

cat /var/log/system.log | grep ALPS

and see if there is output like

ApplePS2ALPSGlidePoint::identify: Found ALPS Device with ID E7=0x73 0x02 0x0a, EC=0x10 0x00 0x64
  • Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

As I've noted before, my m1530 (running Mavericks, DarwinX's Kexts and DSDT and Chameleon) doesn't recognise when FireWire-harddrives are plugged in, if they are not already plugged in at boot up.

Today, I've discovered that the same applies for my VGA port: if a display is connected at boot up, it is recognised and the desktop is expanded. If I unplug the display, OS X doesn't notice it and still thinks the display is plugged in.The windows don't return to the primary display, and I can still arrange "both" displays in System Settings. Consequently, plugging the cable back in brings back the second display.

But if I boot without a second monitor connected via VGA, I can't plug one in.

So it seems like the ports are not triggering the "plugged in" event in the kernel. Any ideas why?

Hi Guys,

Upgraded successfully to OSX 10.9.3 using the Combo Updater.  System reboots normally and audio still works if you have VoodooHDA and AppleHDADisabler kexts in S/L/E.

post-846696-0-57400400-1400240493_thumb.png

Kexts installed by the update can be viewed with Pacifist....

post-846696-0-18579500-1400313305_thumb.png

• AppleHDA ver 2.6.0 ----> 2.6.1
  • AppleGraphicsPowerManagement, AppleSMC, AppleRTC & AppleACPIPlatform get overwritten (despite kext version numbers remaining the same as in 10.9.2) so repatch/replace if necessary.

I also found sleep functions the same on my XPS m1530 as in 10.9.2 with the vanilla AppleACPIPlatform.kext (OK for the first sleep, reboots on invoking sleep a second time) ---> fixed with the same procedure as I described in post #1701.

I updated my M1330 to 10.9.3 tonight using App Store, and fortunately it went as smooth as the update before. Performance seems about as good as before; I haven't really noticed any difference from 10.9.2. There is no need to roll back any kexts to make sleep work as seems to be necessary for the M1530s. As long as you have AppleHDADisabler.kext installed, you don't have to change a single thing. I'm still using my latest kext on the first post with Chameleon (if it ain't broke...)

Immo

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Clover question.  Can we use our currently patched DSDT in clover or do we need to re-patch it from scratch with clover?  I am currently using the one DarwinX shared with us.  XPS M1530 Nvidia Graphics.  Is there any advantage of using Clover over Chameleon in 10.9.x versions of OSX for our device?

Thanks

@oSxFr33k,

Yes, you can use DarwinX's patched DSDT and place it in EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched as described here.

The newer the machine, the better it is to use Clover.  On our aging laptops, it is a matter of personal preference - I recommend Clover but I am slightly biased :).  The boot is slightly slower since we are using Clover's legacy pathway (instead of UEFI) but Clover has way more features and flexibility than chameleon.

NB  If you dual boot with Windows, it is important to install UEFI Windows on a full GUID/GPT disk.  Clover does not play well with legacy installs of Windows on MBR/hybrid MBR drives for our machines.

OSX Yosemite DP1 successfully installs on XPSm1530 with Clover

At the moment, Clover is the only bootloader working with OSX Yosemite 10.10 due to changes implemented by Apple to the kernel cache :yes:Version 2695+ uploaded by Slice in this post can inject kexts properly in 10.10 so if you're running Clover, you can try it out for yourself :thumbsup_anim:.

Instructions installing OSX 10.10 DP1

1. Insert a 8GB+ USB and use Disk Utility's partition tab to create a single partition HFS+, GUID formatted USB named "Installer"

post-846696-0-66980300-1402202254_thumb.png

2. Use ShowAllFiles.app to show hidden files in Finder

3. In your Applications folder (or wherever you've downloaded Yosemite), right click on "Install OS X 10.10 Developer Preview.app" and choose "Show Package Contents"

post-846696-0-55506100-1402201516_thumb.png

4. Navigate to Contents/Shared Support

post-846696-0-82300100-1402201854_thumb.png

5. Double click on InstallESD.dmg to mount it - you'll see a Packages Folder and 2 hidden files, 

BaseSystem.chunklist+BaseSystem.dmg (you'll need these later)

post-846696-0-78138800-1402201797_thumb.png

6. Mount BaseSystem.dmg by double clicking on it
7. Using Disk Utility, restore "OS X Base System" to your USB by dragging the icon for the USB to the destination field of the Restore tab

post-846696-0-17560800-1402201282_thumb.png

8. On the USB Stick, in the System/Installation folder, delete the link named Packages
9. Copy the Packages folder from "OS X Install ESD" to the System/Installation folder on the USB Stick
10. Copy BaseSystem.dmg and Basesystem.chunklist from "OS X Install ESD" into the root folder of the USB installer

post-846696-0-10540100-1402203589_thumb.png

11. Install Clover onto your USB with the following custom options

post-846696-0-57540200-1402139945_thumb.png

Attached files to correctly configure Clover Yosemite Installer for the XPS M1530.  Make sure to mount the EFI partition of the USB to access Clover files eg using EFI Mounter-v2-1.app

config.plist--->put into EFI/CLOVER folder
DSDT.aml--->put into EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder
FakeSMC.kext, VoodooPS2Controller.kext--->put into EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other & delete 10.6-10.9 folders

Utilities.zip contains

EFI Mounter-v2-1.app to mount/unmount the EFI partition

ShowAllFiles.app to show hidden files

12. Boot the installer USB with Clover (in verbose mode with injected kexts) to install Yosemite.

post-846696-0-65788400-1402201372_thumb.png

post-846696-0-35269500-1402201414_thumb.png

Choose your default language then use Disk Utility to prepare an HFS+ partition ---> follow the prompts of the OSX installer to install into that partition.

13. Reboot with the USB into OSX Yosemite on the HD to complete the installation, then install Clover into the EFI partition of your boot drive.  Don't forget to mount the EFI of the hard drive and place the same files from step #11 into the corresponding Clover folders.

14. Install post install kexts like VoodooHDA, AppleHDADisabler into S/L/E of the boot drive with Kext Utility.

Initial Thoughts

Everything running like in 10.9.2 & 10.9.3 and the Appstore, iCloud, iMessage etc are OK.  Just reinstall VoodooHDA.kext and AppleHDADisabler.kext in S/L/E with kext utility to get sound.  Temps and speedstep working well with Clover...

post-846696-0-56498700-1402101713_thumb.png

post-846696-0-82564800-1402100540_thumb.png

In Yosemite, there seems to be a growing emphasis on security and signed kexts.  Early installation guides recommend using the kernel argument kext-dev-mode=1 to allow the use of unsigned hackintosh kexts in S/L/E.

Yosemite Installer XPS M1530.zip

Utilities.zip

• Like 3

@oSxFr33k,

Yes, you can use DarwinX's patched DSDT and place it in EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched as described here.

The newer the machine, the better it is to use Clover.  On our aging laptops, it is a matter of personal preference - I recommend Clover but I am slightly biased :).  The boot is slightly slower since we are using Clover's legacy pathway (instead of UEFI) but Clover has way more features and flexibility than chameleon.

NB  If you dual boot with Windows, it is important to install UEFI Windows on a full GUID/GPT disk.  Clover does not play well with legacy installs of Windows on MBR/hybrid MBR drives for our machines.

OSX Yosemite DP1 successfully installs on XPSm1530 with Clover

At the moment, Clover is the only bootloader working with OSX Yosemite 10.10 due to changes implemented by Apple to the kernel cache :yes:.

Version 2695+ uploaded by Slice in this post can inject kexts properly in 10.10 so if you're running Clover, you can try it out for yourself :thumbsup_anim:.  Instructions on creating an OSX 10.10 installer here.

No need for single user mode as described in early guides. 

• Boot with kext-dev-mode=1 (put this under boot arguments in your config.plist) to allow unsigned hackintosh kexts
  • Place FakeSMC & VoodooPS2.kext in the EFI/Clover/Kexts/Other or 10.10 folder

Everything running like in 10.9.2 & 10.9.3 and things like Appstore, iCloud, iMessage etc are OK.  Just reinstall VoodooHDA.kext and AppleHDADisabler.kext in S/L/E with kext utility to get sound.  Temps and speedstep working well with Clover...

Great work! What is the status of the Sleep mode on our systems under the OS 10.10? Thanks!

Sleep is still like 10.9.2 and 10.9.3 using all vanilla kexts - works perfectly for the first invokation but unfortunately triggers a reboot when you do it a second time.  I haven't tried rolling back any kexts at this stage but I doubt we will have any luck unless someone discovers/creates a rollback AppleACPIPlatform.kext that is compatible with Mavericks 10.9.2+ & Yosemite.

It really isn't a bother once you get used to it.....just avoid triggering the second sleep (by shutting down instead).  However, I realize fully functional sleep is still important for many people (myself included) so my main install remains 10.9.3 with 10.9.1 kernel/kexts + regressed AppleACPIPlatform.  Yosemite is on an external USB HD for testing :).

PS: 

Good news for chameleon fans...@Pike R Alpha, @oldnapalm have compiled Yosemite compatible ChameleonPkg version by @chris1111.

Also @Janek has released a new version of chameleon wizard 4.3.3 with new kernel boot arguments in anticipation of Yosemite.

Edits

1. Successful update to Yosemite Update1/DP2 through App Store.  Nothing to change with VoodooHDA.kext and AppleHDADisabler already installed, sound still works :)

post-846696-0-54222100-1403231816_thumb.

2. @crazybirdy has released Chameleon r2380_10.10_CBv2 which has kernel auto detection!  We no longer need to specify the kernel location with a kernel "key" in o.c.B.plist

3. Successful upgrade to Yosemite DP3 7/8/14 through App Store.  For correct saving of NVRAM.plist with Clover, need r2721+install Clover launch daemon (ie select RC scripts option when installing Clover)+@pokenguyen's logout hook.

4. Successful App Store upgrade to Yosemite DP4 7/22/14

5.  Apple releases OS X Yosemite Beta 1 (basically identical to DP4) to members of the public enrolled in the OS X Beta Program 7/24/14.  No changes required in install procedure from post #1715.  Users wanting to use the Chameleon method can extract the kernel from the "Essentials.pkg" using the latest Pacifist 3.2.14

6. Successful Appstore upgrade to Yosemite DP5 8/05/14.  DP5 restores correct functioning of Clover's launch daemon so NVRAM.plist is saved on shutdown again (without @pokenguyen's logout hook) ---> last booted volume is remembered, iMessage OK etc.

7. Appstore upgrade to DP6 8/19/14.  Nice icons!

8. Appstore upgrade to DP7 9/03/14.

9. Appstore upgrade to DP8 9/16/14.

10. Appstore upgrade to GM Candidate 10/01/14.  Looking good - no problems with update :).

post-846696-0-98370900-1412160652_thumb.png

Anyone interested in testing OS X 10.10 without being a registered Mac software developer, or member of the OS X Beta Seed Program, can change their App Store URL by entering the following terminal command (all on one line):

sudo /usr/sbin/softwareupdate --set-catalog https://swscan.apple.com/content/catalogs/others/index-10.10seed-10.10-10.9-mountainlion-lion-snowleopard-leopard.merged-1.sucatalog.gz

and undo the change using the following command:

sudo /usr/sbin/softwareupdate --clear-catalog

Reference - @PikeRAlpha's blog

• Like 1

Sleep is still like 10.9.2 and 10.9.3 using all vanilla kexts - works perfectly for the first invokation but unfortunately triggers a reboot when you do it a second time.  I haven't tried rolling back any kexts at this stage but I doubt we will have any luck unless someone discovers/creates a rollback AppleACPIPlatform.kext that is compatible with Mavericks 10.9.2+ & Yosemite.

It really isn't a bother once you get used to it.....just avoid triggering the second sleep (by shutting down instead) :).

I see. Unfortunately, I am simply unwilling to compromise on sleep at this point. Thank You.

Yosemite Installation with Chameleon (revised)

Make sure to choose "Customize", then select a standard install of the bootloader, custom setttings to generate the following org.chameleon.Boot.plist and MBP 5,1 smbios.plist in /Extra (also provided in attached files).

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
    <key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
    <string>Yes</string>
    <key>GenerateCStates</key>
    <string>Yes</string>
    <key>GeneratePStates</key>
    <string>Yes</string>
    <key>Graphics Mode</key>
    <string>1440x900x32</string>
    <key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
    <string>Yes</string>
    <key>Instant Menu</key>
    <string>Yes</string>
    <key>Kernel Flags</key>
    <string>-v</string>
    <key>ShowInfo</key>
    <string>Yes</string>
    <key>UseKernelCache</key>
    <string>No</string>
</dict>
</plist>

post-846696-0-76670800-1403738071_thumb.png

• Add DarwinX's DSDT.aml for the XPSm1530 into /Extra
  • Install FakeSMC.kext and VoodooPS2controller.kext into /S/L/E of the USB with Kext Wizard
  • Create a folder "Kernels" in /System/Library and copy the provided Yosemite kernel into that folder

post-846696-0-24151700-1403425454_thumb.png

• Boot into the Installer (verbose mode without caches already specified in o.c.B.plist), choose your default language then use Disk Utility to prepare an HFS+ partition (named say Yosemite)---> follow the prompts of the OSX installer to install into that partition
  • Reboot into Yosemite using the Installer USB and complete the setup & install.  Copy the /Extra folder from the USB to the Yosemite volume and also install Chameleon_2.2svn_r2380_10.10_CBv2 onto the hard drive
  • Install FakeSMC, VoodooPS2Controller, VoodooHDA, AppleHDADisabler kexts into /S/L/E with Kext Wizard and patch AppleRTC.kext as described in this post.

Notes on Post Install

1.  The native kernel in Yosemite is actually named "kernel' and resides in /System/Library/Kernels.   Chameleon_2.2svn_r2380_10.10_CBv2 is able to auto detect its location so you no longer need to specify this with a kernel key in o.c.B.plist.

2.  Apple has changed the compression used for the kernelcache from lzss to lzvn.  You can change it back so that Chameleon can utilize the KC by editing the file /usr/standalone/bootcaches.plist

<key>Preferred Compression</key>
<string>lzss</string>

then run the following command in terminal

sudo kextcache -prelinked-kernel

and you can change the following in org.chameleon.Boot.plist

<key>UseKernelCache</key>
<string>No</string>  <----change to Yes

post-846696-0-39954800-1403427168_thumb.png

Yosemite Installer XPS M1530_ChameleonV2.zip

• Like 2

One of the lesser known features of Clover is its ability to chainload Chameleon.  This can be useful if you want to determine whether any issues are related to a specific bootloader....

Procedure For Installing Clover to Chainload Chameleon in Yosemite

1. Install Clover into the EFI of your boot drive with the following options and "Use Alternative Booting PBR"

post-846696-0-92428900-1402660837_thumb.

2. Download Chameleon r2378_Yosemite boot file from here and rename it boot1

3. Mount the EFI partition and copy boot1 into it

post-846696-0-13882600-1402661198_thumb.

4. Reboot the computer and when you see Clover's blinking underscore, press the <1> key during the two second pause ----> Chameleon will take over the boot process ----> boot into Yosemite.  If you don't press any key, it automatically defaults to a normal Clover boot.

Thank you for all your advice, I just spent osx osx maverick to Yosemite by testing two types of plants (clover, chameleon) no problem everything work perfectly cup, ethnic, audio, trackpad, etc. ....
My only problem is the wifi (broadcom 4315) for I have a kext that works perfectly for osx lion mountain, it works well with Yosemite is recognized all except that I not pick up any wifi network. I looked everywhere but did not see. thank you in advance

@kif.007,

I've read about bcm43xx cards having issues connecting to wireless since Mavericks.  The only workaround reported is by turning off encryption on your router or this convoluted procedure by alexanderq.

I've also read from user reports that AR5B91, BCM4321 and BCM4328 work well in Mavericks and I assume they would still work in Yosemite (personally, I use an ASUS N10 wireless USB that has worked from OSX 10.6-10.10 using it's own wireless app.  My inbuilt wireless card is unfortunately intel so not OSX compatible).

@kif.007,

I've read about bcm43xx cards having issues connecting to wireless since Mavericks.  The only workaround reported is by turning off encryption on your router or this convoluted procedure by alexanderq.

I've also read from user reports that AR5B91, BCM4321 and BCM4328 work well in Mavericks and I assume they would still work in Yosemite (personally, I use an ASUS N10 wireless USB that has worked from OSX 10.6-10.10 using it's own wireless app.  My inbuilt wireless card is unfortunately intel so not OSX compatible).

Card Type: AirPort Extreme  (0x14E4, 0x8E)

Firmware Version: Broadcom BCM43xx 1.0 (5.106.98.100.22)

I've never had a problem with it.  Don't know if that helps or not.

Interesting Clover fact posted by Pene in the Clover General Discussion topic:

"Now as a side note, I have seen that many people think that because their system is not UEFI and they use Clover as Legacy, they need to keep using Legacy Windows.

So in case you think that, know that it's not true - I use Windows 7/8.1 installed in UEFI mode on all my systems with CloverEFI (and the systems don't have UEFI bios).

So my main recommendation to both of you is to get rid completely of MBR, stay with a pure-GPT partition, and reinstall Windows in UEFI mode.

CloverEFI provides a full UEFI environment, and you can install Windows in UEFI mode if you boot the Windows DVD or USB through Clover, not as Legacy, but by choosing the EFI entry"

I can confirm that it is possible to install & boot UEFI Windows on our old BIOS based machines with Clover

attachicon.gifWindows EFI boot0.jpg

On a GUID partitioned external USB hard drive, I installed OSX first, then Windows Server 2012 (in "to go mode" following directions from this blog post), then the Clover bootloader into the EFI partition.  I can now dual boot OSX/Windows on the XPSm1530 through Clover (choose Microsoft boot menu and boot through bootmgrfw.efi).

attachicon.gifWindows EFI boot1.jpg

Why boot this way?

Advantages: GPT/UEFI is the way of the future and you avoid the 4 partition/2TB limit of mbr/hybrid mbr - you can have multiple recovery partitions, OSX, Linux and Windows installations in a multiboot arrangement on the same drive.

Disadvantages: Some older disk partitioning/backup programs may only work with mbr.

Edit:  I finally took the plunge and converted the hybrid mbr on my main drive to full GPT and clean installed UEFI Windows 7_X64.

Summary of Steps Installing UEFI Windows 7 X64 on internal GPT HD

1. Booted into OSX partition and used GDisk to delete the old Windows partition and convert the disk to pure GPT (by writing a protective mbr over the hybrid mbr).   Overview of GPT and man page of Gdisk.
  2. Installed Clover into the EFI partition of the HD
  3. Booted the computer with Clover from the HD, then inserted Windows 7_X64 UEFI install USB

attachicon.gifUSB UEFI menu.png

4. Choose bootx64.efi from EFI boot menu of the install USB.  Follow the prompts to install UEFI Windows into the free

space created by step 1

attachicon.gifRun bootx64.efi.png

5. After the installer has finished writing files to disk, it will automatically reboot--->remove install USB now

6. Computer will boot into the Clover screen and there will now be an internal EFI menu to choose--->select to boot

bootx64.efi.  Windows will now finalize settings and complete the install!

attachicon.gifUEFI Windows.jpg

So, I am FINALLY getting somewhere positive with this.  I'm not sure how, but I have managed to get clover to boot my machine successfully several times in a row, and it EVEN detects my internal HDD (I've been booting it from USB drives).  I think it was because I may have been installing it incorrectly before.  This time I took great care to set up the EFI partition beforehand, and it seems to have made a difference.  I'm at the point where I'm trying to test install UEFI Windows on an external drive with two partitions (One for OSX, one for Windows) all GPT and Clover.  However, the problem I'm running into is that I followed the steps outlined above underneath the "Edit" section: Clover isn't seeing the bootx64.efi on the pendrive when it boots to the menu.  Instead, it shows bootmgr.efi, which does nothing when I select it.  Now I know for a fact that bootx64.efi is in the /efi/boot folder, because after rufus was done creating the drive, I double checked to make sure it put the file there.  When it didn't work the first time, I went back and extracted it from install.wim and put it there myself.  I don't know why, but Clover just doesn't provide it as a menu option.  Interesting fact: it /did/ show cdboot.efi as a menu option before I renamed that file to cdboot.efi.old.  Any suggestions?  

Side note: haven't really noticed any difference in temperature since booting from Clover, but I'm also not quite done configuring it either, so I'm reserving judgement.  FYI, able to boot 10.9.3 with clover both internally and externally.  Sleep/wake is whacky (freezes on wake with full display showing), but again, not done yet, so...