Waiting for DSMOS (slow boot, i mean really slow) SOLVED

21 posts in this topic

EDITEDIT: use "sudo chown root:admin /"

EDIT: it's not the dev tools it's just the "sudo chown root:wheel /" command :(

Okay, i did so many Tiger, Leopard and Snow Leopard Hackintoshes and i NEVER got that problem Waiting for DSMOS.

BUT ... on friday i bought a Zotac ION board with Atom 330, installation went fine but then, i couldn't believe it.

3 minutes boot time because after Waiting for DSMOS the computer seemed to be frozen. After 2.36 minutes of doing nothing, suddenly my "MacMidi" boots obliviously and straight into Snow Leopard. so i tried everything, changed dsmos.kext to fakesmc.kext, combinations of some kext with others, disabler, nullcpumanagement, etc. ... but still the same. Waiting for DSMOS for one and a half minute.

the problem is, i did two things at the same time

1.) i installed the developer tools from the retail cd (okay, it's just a package of software but it includes a couple of kexts)

2.) i had a look in my /Extra/Extensions folder because i wanted to check all the kexts with kextutil

when i did that in terminal, i got a message "can't create kext cache on / - owner is not root"

knowing there has to be kext caches available because darwin/chameleon told me of loading Extensions.mkext at startup

i went into the /System/Library/Caches folder, Extensions.mkext was there and /Extra/Extensions.mkext was there too

so i did in terminal "sudo chown root:wheel /" and restarted

henceforward that crappy 1,67 ghz atom cpu boots the snow leo in under 27 seconds

please try and repost

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I just tried this to see if it would speed up my boot as I seem to have to wait a while for DSMOS to arrive, I thought this might speed up the process a little, but when I rebooted OS X 10.6.3 would no longer boot, I got a kernel panic before the desktop loaded... I tried with -V and -V -X but they both stalled and said something about AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext timing out after getting the DSMOS, I have NullCPUPowerManagement.kext so I'm not sure why. It looks like I'm going to be reinstalling again but that's no biggie as it's a 10 minute job (if that) :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
1.) i installed the developer tools from the retail cd (okay, it's just a package of software but it includes a couple of kexts)

Hi , what do you intend for 'developer tools' ? What is the path on retail install dvd?!

Thansk a lot :)

• 2 months later...

dude, thanks so much you cut my eeepc HE Snow Leopard 10.6.4

startup (3'50) and shutdown (0'20) times back down to my 10.6.2 times of (0'30) and (0'02).

Really great.

BTW if any else is going to try this magic line of text my little netBook took about 2 mins

to complete what ever it's doing and it does look like it's frozen... Just be patient.

Damn and Thank you at the same time.

Damn : Beccause I did a verry nice install of 10.6.4, everything working, everything going fast and nice, Sound, graphic and ethernet were And few hours later, computer felt into sleep mode but I could not wake it up. So I did forced the shutdown. And when I restarded the machine I got the "Waiting for DSMOS..."

Tried to restart in safe, single user and every other mode but nothing worked.

So it's my understanding that I could have wait juste a couple minutes more and I would have got into Snow Leopard anyway?... DAmn!

So I did a fresh new installation of Snow with the exact same techniques... I'm afraid I get a DSMOS problem again.

Thanks you for sharing the solution. If I get into DSMOS again it's the first thing I will try...

so i did in terminal "sudo chown root:wheel /"

This is, in fact, an old BSD/GNU trick - it loosens the reins.

As opposed to locking the main system to the root, it allows any user in the Administrators group access. (As OS X is typically single-user, it's not as dangerous as it would be in a true multiuser environment; however, when a Mac/Hack *is* used by multiple users, you would be better served by keeping things locked down.)

• 11 months later...

hello,

Unfortunately this did not help: (

First my hardware:

MSI P55 GD-65 Motherboard

MSI NX8800GT-T2D512E-OC graphics card

4 GB Kingston Value Ram DDR3

Intel I5-750 CPU

My system boots approx 1.20 and remains 1 minute of it at the "Waiting for DSMOS" position.

I once attached a picture of my boot screen. Certainly important, the area between "waiting for dsmos" and "dsmos has arrived" would be. As I said, in this short section of the boot hangs for 1 minute.

fotocza.jpg

Snow Leopard will boot in 17 seconds ...

My system also has a few problems with LION generally, these were:

- DSDT files are worthless (PCI Configuration Begin error)

- Sting commands like NPCI = 0x2000, PCIRootUID, or others are ignored.

- Some kexts lead to not boot the system.

This is what I've already tried:

1) I have the FakeSMC.kext replaced by others from kexts.com

2) I the above Terminal command I used. With and without point.

3) I've deleted the dsmos.kext (could not boot then)

Unfortunately, all without success.

Have you maybe ideas to normalize the boot time?

And sorry for using the google translator

• 1 month later...

Short question; Did someone knows these errors? How can I eliminated ???

After input in the terminal the following message comes

sudo chown root:admin /

Password: ******

sudo kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel

/System/Library/Extensions/IOSerialFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/InternalModemSupport.kext doesn't support architecture x86_64; omitting from prelinked kernel.

/System/Library/Extensions/System.kext/PlugIns/Libkern6.0.kext doesn't support architecture x86_64; omitting from prelinked kernel.

/System/Library/Extensions/System.kext/PlugIns/IOKit6.0.kext doesn't support architecture x86_64; omitting from prelinked kernel.

/System/Library/Extensions/System.kext/PlugIns/Mach6.0.kext doesn't support architecture x86_64; omitting from prelinked kernel.

/System/Library/Extensions/ControllerMate.kext doesn't support architecture x86_64; omitting from prelinked kernel.

/System/Library/Extensions/lspcidrv.kext doesn't support architecture x86_64; omitting from prelinked kernel.

someone has a solution ?

In Systeminformationen is: 64-Bit-Kernel and -Erweiterungen: Yes

• 1 year later...

Unfortunately it will not always work (sorry for the bad English) like in my case

The Problems also occur if there are some corrupted OS files in the System

So what you need to do in this case is (3 step work)

1.grab OS X install DVD or USB  and boot from it

<IMPORTANT after the boot is done DO NOT FORMAT THE HARD DRIVE OR YOU WILL LOSE ALL YOUR DATA. I WARN YOU!!!!>

2.click on the Hard drive you want to install the OS X

3.click install and wait it takes longer than usually 

the Install Program looks for OS X on the Hard Drive !!!

If there is OS X the Users Data will not get touch only the Systems data gets Updated (10.6>10.6.7) or Downgraded (10.6.7>10.6)

so don´t worry about your Data the are safe

(I done it today Downgraded my System 10.6.7>10.6 without a Backup :whistle: but I don´t Recommend it. ALWAYS DO A BACKUP!!!)

all my Data still there and settings like i had never touch the system great  :thumbsup_anim:

and know I can boot back into the System without "waiting for DSMOS" 

hope it can help other people who has the same problem

cheers