ATI HD framebuffer driver (10.5/10.6) with source code

dong

900 posts in this topic

Hi first of all thank you Dong for all your hard work.

I did try radeon hd a few years ago on my dell 6400 with ati x1400 and it took me a while to get it working

Now on a similar project trying to make it work on hp6910p with x2300.

I tried many kexts but no ci qe enabled at the moment .

Resolution is fine all kexts load but on ci qe.

I have read people with x2300 especially sony with id 718a have success but just want to know if my id card 7188 on hp is a no go.

By the way on forum x1400working with full res there is a report of working with lion 64bit using kexts from 10.6.3

http://www.insanelym...l=&fromsearch=1

Keep al the good work

PS forgot to mention I am running 10.6.6

• 3 weeks later...

Hi first of all thank you Dong for your work. The Driver runs great with OSX 10.6.8 on my 2008CTO Thinkpad T60 alongside to patched ATIRadeo1000X.kext with QE/CI enabled. When connected to an external Display it offers me all Resolutions up to 1920*1080px if not I am limited to 1280*960px.

As my internal Panel is capable to display up to 1440*1440 Pixels I wonder why the driver refuses me to offer the proper Resolutions when I boot up without connected external Display. Is there any way to enable this Resolutions without the need to connect an external Monitor? What I tried so far:

- Insert EDID into the Kexts plist -> no success

- Insert EDID Information into /S/L/Displays/Overrides/DisplayVendorID-756e6b68/Product...717 -> no success

- Graphics-Mode in org.chameleon.Boot.plist -> no success

As the Thinkpad is my first Mobile Hackintosh project I am somehow new to this and need some help to enable the other resolutions. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance, greetings from germany ;O)

• Like 1

Hey Griven! Can I ask how specifically you got 10.6.8 on your 2008-CTO? I have tried everything (or so I though) and could not get anything to work. I'm currently running 10.6.7 but would love to get 10.6.8 up and functional. Thanks alot!

At least it was easy to install 10.6.8 on my Thinkpad. What I did:

Started from a scratch and installed OSX 10.6.0 update to 10.6.3 (Combo Update) and than to 10.6.6 again Combo Update (till then all ways used my thumbdrive to boot up, no loader installed until that point). On 10.6.6 I installed Chameleon (using Chameleon Wizard) on my HDD and created the /Extra and /Extra/Extensions Folders to boot up from HDD.

Into /Extra goes a modified SMBIOS.plist as well as an org.chameleon.Boot.plist. Here is my org.chameleon.Boot.plist

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>DSDT</key>
<string>/Extra/dsdt_mod.aml</string>
<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>npci=0x2000</string>
<key>RestartFix</key>
<string>No</string>
<key>SMBIOS</key>
<string>/Extra/SMBIOS.plist</string>
<key>SystemType</key>
<string>2</string>
<key>arch</key>
<string>i386</string>
<key>system-type</key>
<string>2</string>
</dict>
</plist>

As SMBIOS.plist I used the default template of MACBook Pro 2.1 from Chameleon Wizard which works fine for me.

Next step is to add some KEXTS to /E/E and place a corrected DSDT.aml in /Extra.

So in my /E/E folder goes a little kextpackage containing: FakeSMC.kext, AppleACPIBatteryManager.kext, AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext, VoodooPS2Controller.kext and VoodooTSCSync.kext. I used KextWizard to install my Kexts. In Case of the DSDT i had some luck and found a ready made on in the Thinkpad Forums which fits for the most T60 Models. I´ll attach my DSTD along with my Current /Extra folder so you can use it on your machine as well. If everything is in place and permissions are repaired remove your thumbdrive or DVD and reboot your T60. if the machine boots up it is time to move on.

Download and install The 10.6.7 Combo Update. After the installation has finished go ahead an reboot your machine. Before we move on to 10.6.8 we need to save some 10.6.7 kexts in order to get QE/CI as well as Networking and WIFI working in 10.6.8. Form /S/L/E copy the following files and place them on your Desktop:

- AppleACPIPlattform.kext (just in case you get stuck at PCI Configuration begin)

- IOPCIFamily.kext (just in case you get stuck at PCI Configuration begin)

- RadeonX1000.kext and all related files (all with X1000)

- IONDRVSupport.kext

- RadeonX1300.kext

When everything is saved you can start the 10.6.8 ComboUpdate and let it install. After it has finished DO NOT reboot your Hack, just close the installer and move on.

The next steps are necessary in order to get Graphic Support:

- Insert your device ID into RadeonX1000.kexts info.plist (in my case it is 7149 if yours is the same, you can use my patched files) and binary patch the drivers binary part using a hex editor such like 0xED.

- Do the same with RadeonX1300.kext

- Delete ATIFramebuffer.kext and ATISupport.kext from /S/L/E

- install RadeonX1000 and related as well as IONDRVSupport.kext and RadeonHD.kext to /S/L/E

- Repair permissions and rebuild caches and reboot that´s it.

I recommend to upgrade step by step and always use the combo Updates as I noticed that otherwise you get stuck with the nasty PCI Configuration begin thing.

Extra

Kextpack

• Like 1

Hey Griven! So good news!! 10.6.8 from your tutorial is now functional! Right now I am missing a DSDT as I could not find yours and I also have to boot with "GraphicsEnabler=No" and when I open DVD Player the app crashes. Do you think the DSDT could cause either of those issues?? All in all I'm happy as Hell!!! Thank you so much!

Ooops, somehow missed to include my dsdt file to my download folder, my fault... :wallbash:

Just redownload it, it is complete right now... DVD Player crashes for me too (never used it though, but after looking to logs it seems like the crash is somehow related to Audio Hardware) VLC works fine so why use Apples DVD Player?

You have to use GraphicsEnabler=NO always as it conflicts with RadeonHD.kext.

Update: So you DSDT fixed boot so I no longer require "GraphicsEnabler=No" and I agree with you about DVD app....I could care less about it. VLC is loaded and 100% functional. I greatly appreciate all your help! This has been bugging me for 2 months now!

• 3 weeks later...

After I spend a few bucks and upgraded my Thinkpad´s CPU to Core2Duo I can confirm it works with Lion (tested up to 10.7.3).

To run Lion just save 10.6.7 IONDRVSupport.kext alongside to 10.6.8 IOGraphicsFamily.kext, RadeonHD.kext and ATIRadeonX1000.kext in a secure place (Thumb-drive etc.) go ahead and install Lion. After Installation be sure to boot in save mode (-x) and install your saved extensions to /S/L/E after repairing permissions make also sure you set arch=i386 in your Boot.plist as kernel flag because RadeonHD is 32bit only and will not load in 64bit mode. Also delete ATIFramebuffer.kext and ATISupport.kext from /S/L/E before you reboot because they conflict with RadeonHD.

In Case you missed to save your SL files or you are all new to this I attached my working KEXTS. My ATIRadeonX1000.kext is patched for device ID 7149 if you have different device ID's it won't work and you need to patch it on your own...

kext.zip

As a little bonus the Kextpack includes as ready patched AppleRTC.kext to avoid Bios resets after sleep...

P.S. a 64Bit RadeonHD Framebuffer would be great.

P.P.S All though the Kextpack include all 10.6.8 Kexts make shure to only use ATIRadeonX1000.kext I added the rest of them to play around an maybe fix DVD Player.app crashes.

• Like 1

hey Griven. I'm about to buy a T5600 Core 2 Duo (1.83ghz) that I found on eBay for $15. So assuming I upgrade the CPU how did you proceed with the Lion install? Did you install via [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] or and a fresh install or did you install directly from 10.6.8?

Update: I purchased the T5600 and it should arrive on Monday or Tuesday. Any help on getting Lion installed would be awesome! Thanks Griven!

@griven

Have a look here post 91 someone says on 10.7.2 Radeon hd 32 and 64 bit working full resolution

Thanks for the tip.

The Version mentioned in Post 91 works in 64Bit mode but causes some serious problems on my setup which makes it unusable for me (mouse tearing occurred, no sleep support etc.) and so I switched back to my previous 32Bit only version. I also tried to compile my own Version from the source code and was able to build a multi architecture Version which supports 32 and 64Bit but my attempt failed. The driver loads (in Verbose boot you see "RadeonHD: create nubs" but when loginwindow.app starts I get a kernelpanik and the Laptop restarts I am not shure what went wrong I guess I have to study some logs...

Update: I purchased the T5600 and it should arrive on Monday or Tuesday. Any help on getting Lion installed would be awesome! Thanks Griven!

I started over with a clean install of Lion and used "MyHack 3" to create my usb Install stick but any of the known methods to create a Lion installer Stick will do.

I suggest to use MyHack3 as it is optimized for mobile Computers and will prepare your install Stick with all the drivers notebooks typically need (PS2 Support etc...) on top of this it includes some post install scripts which run within the Lion installer and let you finish the installation with installed chameleon loader on your target Disk as well as an Extra folder with the typical needed set of kexts needed to boot your installation.

EDIT: Important Boot your MyHack3 prepared Stick with GraphicsEnabler=No otherwise it won´t boot.

Edited by griven

I started over with a clean install of Lion and used "MyHack 3" to create my usb Install stick but any of the known methods to create a Lion installer Stick will do.

I suggest to use MyHack3 as it is optimized for mobile Computers and will prepare your install Stick with all the drivers notebooks typically need (PS2 Support etc...) on top of this it includes some post install scripts which run within the Lion installer and let you finish the installation with installed chameleon loader on your target Disk as well as an Extra folder with the typical needed set of kexts needed to boot your installation.

Awesome! Thanks Griven! As soon as my new cpu comes in I'll be sure to try it out and post the results. I'm also building a core i7 hackintosh based on some Tonymac recommendations. It's going to be pretty damn nice...

hey Griven. Did your install require any boot flags? I have tried, -x, -v, cpus=1, arch=i386....etc... and I can't get anything to boot to the installer using myhack or u n i bea st...any ideas?

EDIT: Important Boot your MyHack3 prepared Stick with GraphicsEnabler=No otherwise it won´t boot.

You have to type GraphicsEnabler=No at boot prompt cause it is enabled by default an won´t work with RadeonX13XX Graphics ;O)

• Like 1

You have to type GraphicsEnabler=No at boot prompt cause it is enabled by default an won´t work with RadeonX13XX Graphics ;O)

Thanks Griven...I wish I had seen your post sooner...I remade the installer and while it was compiling I remembered "GE=No" and then a bunch of choice words were spoken :)

Installing now

Update 5/13 - So I was able to get 10.7.0 and 10.7.3 installed via myhack and [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url]...always had to boot with GE=no and would constantly get constant spinning circles and programs becoming unresponsive. I updated to a Core2Duo 1.83ghz and 2 gigs of ram so I should be fine with hardware but could not get a stable lion install....any ideas? I followed your guide to the T but just couldn't get it as functional as I need. Griven, did you use a DSDT in 10.7.x?

• 3 months later...

I'm running an Inspriron 9400 with a mobility x1400... Was running 10.6.7 flawlessly and decided to update to 10.6.8. Ran into issues and came across the solution and realized it would also work on Lion, so I started all over again.

I installed 10.7 and then rolled back the four kexts mentioned above. Edited my ATIRadeonx1000.kext and installed RadeonHD.kext. This all worked fine under 10.6.8, but upon rebooting under 10.7, for some reason I've lost my cursor completely. Keyboard shortcuts work and the system is booting with full 1440x900 and QE/CI (I can tell cuz the animations at login are smooth).

How can I fix this?? Any ideas?? :(

***EDIT: Well, I uninstalled RadeonHD.kext and ATIRadeonX1000.kext via single user mode and I'm still stuck with no cursor. I'm gonna hook up the HD to another system and try to install VoodooPS2Controller.kext and see what happens...***

• 2 months later...

My computer has a ATI Mobility Radeion X1350 installed, i followed this forums procedures about installing all of the kext files and swaping the EDID inside the archive (page 68) and i still have a problem.

My problem starts with boot-up i get a message like this

"ACPI table not found: DSDT.aml

NO DSDT found, using 0 as uid value.

Using PCI-Root-UID value:0

Framebuffer 0xD0000000 MMIO 00xDC4000000

0x000000000

ATI card non-POSTed, reading VBIOS from PCI ROM.

Framebuffer set to devices default: Lc> (some special character? Cant really form it here)

Nr of ports set to framebuffers default: 0"

"Memory allocation error! Addr : 0x0 Size: 0x7ff5190, File: device_inject.c (or something like that) Size: 220

This is a non recovarable error! System HALTED!!!"

All i get is this.. I can only boot in GraphicsEnabler=No. Tried a few methods from this forum but none of them works.

Working with Chameleon 2.1 r1869 and dont really know what to setup.. "Vbios, which framebuffer - Flicker, Sphyrna, .. dont even know what is this?, Ati Config?, ... ) I tried serveral ways but it doesnt work.

Currently i have installed AtiX1000.kext and RadeonHD.kext with changed EDID and ID, i get the same error as before..

Ok getting somewhere.. Switched to 1440x900 but no acceleration.. It seems that my mouse starts dying after some time (left mouse click just quits) and i cant seem to do nothing then .. I have to reboot :S Anyone got some ideas? All the things i miss the most is acceleration.. If i boot with GraphicsEnabler=Yes i get the same error as before..

• 1 month later...

Hi, a few weeks ago I opened a topic about the acceleration of Mobility (generally) Radeon HD 3xxx cards and also on Radeon 4xxx cards for testing and make comparisons with the purpose of focusing the information about these cards in one post:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/284638-qeci-ati-mobility-radeon-hd-31xx-32xx-34xx-42xx-radeon-hd-42xx-collection-2012/

waiting for your replies!

thanks

don't forget: persistence leads to success

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...