ATI HD framebuffer driver (10.5/10.6) with source code

dong

900 posts in this topic

It seems, this framebuffer is working on OS X Lion (10.7). Already tried with my ATI mobility x1600. Sadly still can't find the way to enable QE.

BTW Does anyone have a problem, then try to log out, screen get crapy and systems crash?

Sorry for the delay.

No problemo :thumbsup_anim:

To get the graphics working I try to bin patch many times and not worked for me so I just changed the ATIRadeonX1000.kext/Contents/Info.pslit and changed 0x71871002 (don't remember if it was that ... well it's the first that apears) with mine that is 0x71451002, rebuild cache kext and reboot. Here I got CI/QE enabled.

To get the fullres I installed the latest Dongs kext as it is and edited my boot.plist and add a line form my resolution. Rebuild kext cache and rebooted. Voila ... full everything ... biggrin.gif

I forgot to mention that the info.plist on ATIRadeonX1000 also needs to be edited, like you did :P for me it's implied...

But, you bin patched and edited the plist, right!?... from your English, one can get the idea that editing the plist is enough.

By the way, nice work with GE.

If need something else ask...

Ciao...

Thanks; just trying to understand it and make it a bit more useful, if possible.

Full credits need to go to the guys who created the stuff :)

Thanks for your feedback; i'll probably ask for some testing later on...

ttyl...

Doguitto, doing same as you (just replacing the ID on the info.plist), i get kernel panic on my 718A 1002

Razor, did you try doing both?.. it's the way! :) sorry i forgot to mention...

Sadly still can't find the way to enable QE.

Hi... just out of curiosity, what's the card dev id?

thanks so much dong!

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: ATI Technologies Inc M66-P [Mobility Radeon X1700] [1002:71d5]

RadeonHD.extensionMode is good,i have alrady ATIRadeonX1000 patched so everythings fine.

now the external display become a primary desktop(1280x1024), internal lcd (1440x900) second .

RHDdump_ExtensionMode_ext_wasConnect.txt

RHDdump_ExtensionMode_ext_withoutConnect.txt

btw:

is there anyway to sleep/wake solution for radeonhd ?

because when i try ATINDRV one is ok to wakeup system and screen not back it still blank ,only vnc works.

radeonhd wont wake up ,just keep blank & freeze all.

Hi... just out of curiosity, what's the card dev id?

Chipset Model: Mobility Radeon X1600

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 256 MB

Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x71c5

Revision ID: 0x0000

:blink:

Azimutz,

Sorry for my bad english but I'm glad you understood what I said. In my case, by just editing the Info.plist works. No bin patch required.

EDIT: I bin patch my ATIRadeonX1000 and got the same results ... maybe in my case doesn't matters.

Razorbackeve,

Maybe (first try to bin patch the ATIRadeonX1000) you have to change other card ID with yours. The X1450 is not the same as X1400. Try to change other values with your device ID. Change the 0x71421002 with yours. Always try both things ... with and without the bin patch ...

Ciao...

new issue&result:

make vga connector to some other monitor ,happend in log:

"No EDID block returned Connector "VGA 1": Failed to retrieve Monitor information."

than i just edit Info.plist section UserOptions:

@0,EDID:[that monitor EDID]

@0,TYPE:DACA

and it works. ^_^

Chipset Model: Mobility Radeon X1600

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 256 MB

Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x71c5

Revision ID: 0x0000

^_^

As i thought, 71c5; your card is supposed to be supported ootb. The dev id is on both ATIRadeonX1000 and ATI1600Controller,

you just need a injector to make it work. We can try to add your card to Chameleon; mine is working fine with these new

10.6.8/Lion ATI drivers ;)

That's a laptop, right?

Sorry for my bad english but I'm glad you understood what I said. In my case, by just editing the Info.plist works. No bin patch required.

EDIT: I bin patch my ATIRadeonX1000 and got the same results ... maybe in my case doesn't matters.

No problem with your English; i've seen a lot worse, including from my self, which seems to be the case now ;)

i just wanted to be sure if you did both (bin patch/plist edit) or just the plist edit, as the English implied.

hum... are you sure you don't have nothing else "in play" there?!...

You see, there's no way i know of getting QE/CI for your card, without patching RadeonX1000;

your dev id is not supported by the drivers.

No problem with your English; i've seen a lot worse, including from my self, which seems to be the case now ;)

i just wanted to be sure if you did both (bin patch/plist edit) or just the plist edit, as the English implied.

hum... are you sure you don't have nothing else "in play" there?!...

You see, there's no way i know of getting QE/CI for your card, without patching RadeonX1000;

your dev id is not supported by the drivers.

You're right. I took an original ATIRadeonX1000.kext (extracted from SL10.6.7 Combo Update with pacifist) and changed only the Info.pslit. The result was NO CI/QE enabled. I bin patched again with my card id and got everything working again.

Sorry for anyone who wasted time ... ^_^

So ... add to my steps the bin patching ...

Regards ...

Hi Dong,

I tried your last radeon kext of 05/17/2011 and I got black screen on my notebook. I have Studio 1747 i7 with ATI Mobility 4650 (x9480).

When I login via VNC I can see that display resolution is detected correctly 1600x900, and the card is detected too, although with only 256 MB of RAM.

Do you have any suggestions what to try next?

Thank you,

almuras

You're right. I took an original ATIRadeonX1000.kext (extracted from SL10.6.7 Combo Update with pacifist) and changed only the Info.pslit. The result was NO CI/QE enabled. I bin patched again with my card id and got everything working again.

Ok, thanks for clearing that. But, i'm still missing something; what do you use for injecting the dev id?

I always add my id to plist and hex edit the binary (also tried replacing different id´s as you said, but no difference).

Tried also just editing the plist, but no way.

Don't add the id to the plist, edit it. Change 7187 to 718A on the plist and search for 8771 on the binary ad replace by 8A71.

If it worked before, it should work now. Make sure you're working with the right kexts, etc... sometimes the smallest distraction

can cause the biggest head scratching ;)

My bad, shouldn´t say "add" when i really wanted to say "replace".

Changing 7187 to 718A is what i have always do. Also replacing others.

I pay so much attention to what i do replace and even retried several times to be sure, no way.

Now i just find this errors on 10.6.8 and Lion, i suppose that this Sony vaio graphic card is no longer supported.

Ok, thanks for clearing that. But, i'm still missing something; what do you use for injecting the dev id?

I just open the ATIRadeonX1000 with an hex editor, search for 8771 (find it 2 times) and change it with 4571.

As i thought, 71c5; your card is supposed to be supported ootb. The dev id is on both ATIRadeonX1000 and ATI1600Controller,

you just need a injector to make it work. We can try to add your card to Chameleon; mine is working fine with these new

10.6.8/Lion ATI drivers :angry:

That's a laptop, right?

Yep, it's old asus z96j barebone ;) QE is fully working on current 10.6.8 SL, I have already tried to copy kext's from SL to LION, but that didn't help. How is it possible to add card to Chameleon?

And you got it working on 32 ar 64bits?

My bad, shouldn´t say "add" when i really wanted to say "replace".

Changing 7187 to 718A is what i have always do. Also replacing others.

I pay so much attention to what i do replace and even retried several times to be sure, no way.

Now i just find this errors on 10.6.8 and Lion, i suppose that this Sony vaio graphic card is no longer supported.

I'd like to help you but, there's not much more i can say ;)

I'll remember you if i came across any info.

I just open the ATIRadeonX1000 with an hex editor, search for 8771 (find it 2 times) and change it with 4571.

That's usually not enough! You must have something else there to do the injection, some kext installed by Iatkos..?!

Yep, it's old asus z96j barebone wink_anim.gif QE is fully working on current 10.6.8 SL, I have already tried to copy kext's from SL to LION, but that didn't help. How is it possible to add card to Chameleon?

And you got it working on 32 ar 64bits?

So, you have QE/CI on 10.6.8 and don't on Lion??... strange.. i think :)

To add a card to Chameleon you need to edit the code, but i can do that for you since i'm already working on it.

I'll add your device for testing; can you sow up on that topic, so we don't pollute this one with completely out of the topic stuff?

Yep, i have mine working on 64 bit.

@Azimuits: hello, thanks for the enabler...

nevermind... I think it will work just wonderfully...

M@dMac, you know were to find me.

If you need, don't hesitate :)

• 2 weeks later...

Please help me to take back 1600x900 resolution!

I have Mobility Radeon HD 3470, and by installing attached RadeonHD.kext I can adjust screen resolution to 1600x900 without any problem in Snow Leopard 10.6.7.

But after updating to 10.6.8 (using combo update) I get gray screen. Its stuck just before going to desktop GUI.

Boot with -v does not show any error. If I remove RadeonHD.kext it boots normally.

Could anyone tell me what has been changed in 10.6.8 that effect to ATI card?

RadeonHD.kext.zip

Please help me to take back 1600x900 resolution!

I have Mobility Radeon HD 3470, and by installing attached RadeonHD.kext I can adjust screen resolution to 1600x900 without any problem in Snow Leopard 10.6.7.

But after updating to 10.6.8 (using combo update) I get gray screen. Its stuck just before going to desktop GUI.

Boot with -v does not show any error. If I remove RadeonHD.kext it boots normally.

Could anyone tell me what has been changed in 10.6.8 that effect to ATI card?

same problem but different card

10.6.8 and 10.7 updated the graphic driver framework, make present RadeonHD.kext not working any more. Before I have time to rebuild a version for latest system, people can try RadeonHD.kext with 10.6.7 IOGraphicsFamily.kext, IONDRVSupport.kext, IOPCIFamily.kext and AppleACPIPlatform.kext on 10.6.8/10.7.

• Like 1

10.6.8 and 10.7 updated the graphic driver framework, make present RadeonHD.kext not working any more. Before I have time to rebuild a version for latest system, people can try RadeonHD.kext with 10.6.7 IOGraphicsFamily.kext, IONDRVSupport.kext, IOPCIFamily.kext and AppleACPIPlatform.kext on 10.6.8/10.7.

10.6.7 use to work full res qe/ci with your kext but they rebuilt 10.6.7 cause i did a fresh install of it and it told me i was useing kernel 10.7 really weird but i wasnt useing lion cause my cpu is a core duo and dont support 64 bit booting

• 2 weeks later...

I tried this work around and now I have high res back! :)

I have a Gateway NV53 + Radeon 4200 + Atheros AR5B93(seen as 9280)

The only fly in the ointment so far is that my Lan, BCM 5764/5784, is broken ... still experimenting on that front.

thx ......... and looking forward to your next update :)

• Like 1

I tried this on my t60 on Lion with x1300 graphics and lost my usb mouse. I am not sure if i got acceleration as a result. Any way to regain it ?

With enableHWcursor true, I get no mouse movement at all. With it set to false, I get the cursor stuck at the top left corner but the mouse seems to be reacting to movement and button clicks. I just cant see the cursor.