ATI HD framebuffer driver (10.5/10.6) with source code

dong

900 posts in this topic

The old RadeonHD works for hardware mirror. But the combination of RadeonController/RadeonHD won't work for most ppl except me. There seems to be something happened different for the mechanism of the 2 head nubs attached to the PCI device by RadeonController and then get recognized by RadeonHD for different machines.

To gather some information for this, please boot into single user mode and type below commands:

mount -uw /

cd System/Library/Extensions

kextutil RadeonController.kext

kextutil RadeonHD.kext

ioreg -l -w 80 > somePathToLogFile

Use kextload on 10.5

Then attach the output of the command and the ioreg here.

Thank you.

Hi Dong,

My logs:

May 11 21:56:24 localhost kernel[0]: [iODump]: RadeonController::start

May 11 21:56:24 localhost kernel[0]: [iODump]: RadeonController::createNubs

May 11 21:56:24 localhost kernel[0]: [iODump]: Add nub 0

May 11 21:56:24 localhost kernel[0]: [iODump]: Add nub 1

May 11 21:56:24 localhost kernel[0]: [iODump]: RadeonHD::start

May 11 21:56:24 localhost kernel[0]: [iODump]: RadeonHD::librariesInitialize

May 11 21:56:24 localhost kernel[0]: [iODump]: RadeonHD::start return true

May 11 21:56:24 localhost kernel[0]: [iODump]: RadeonHD::start

May 11 21:56:24 localhost kernel[0]: [iODump]: RadeonHD::start return false

The ioreg.log is attached.

I hope this info can help you to figure out whats happening.

Thanks.

ioreg.txt

I do not find anything special from the log/IOReg except the disabler. But that should not be a problem.

Have you tried to enter GUI after that by type:

exit

Due to kext cache problem with 10.6, I always enter single user mode and type those commands to enter GUI. This way, I am sure I am testing the latest code I compiled.

Anyway, it's really weird to me how the other cards can be different from mine.

Dear friends,

I have a notebook with ATI X2300.

After installing of RadeonHD_10.6.zip, I had correct video resolution 1280x800.

However, the video in QuickTime played slowly, and VLC player instead of the video displays black square.

What should I do?

Whether can RadeonHD_10.6.zip affect on SpeedStep?

Whether is it true that because of the driver for the ATI X2300, notebooks with this graphical card does not support Sleep mode?

Thank you!!

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: ATI Technologies Inc M71 [Mobility Radeon X2100] (Secondary) [1002:7211]

running on 10.6.7

Tested both drivers. using single screen and dual screen. single screen worked for both drivers and so did dual screen. it was mirror display not extended display.

radeon_1nub_single_screen.rtf

radeon_2nub_single_screen.rtf

RadeonHD1nub2displays_working.rtf

RadeonHD2nub2displays_working.rtf

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: ATI Technologies Inc M71 [Mobility Radeon X2100] (Secondary) [1002:7211]

running on 10.6.7

this worked awesomely. both the laptop lcd and the samsunsung monitor had the correct resolution options. I had another screen hooked up to the svga port and it displayed but messed with the laptop lcd screen. any possibility of supporting a third screen? I took it out of the loop when i ran this data collection.

ok i added the 3 screen setup the laptop lcd displays the menu bar. the tv (dvi) and the monitor(svga) both show extended desktops. the problem is it defaults to the monitor (svga) resolution on both the monitor (svga) and tv (dvi). another interesting part is i cant switch to only the 2 external svga and dvi.

RadeonHD.extensionMode.rtf

this worked awesomely. both the laptop lcd and the samsunsung monitor had the correct resolution options. I had another screen hooked up to the svga port and it displayed but messed with the laptop lcd screen. any possibility of supporting a third screen? I took it out of the loop when i ran this data collection.

ATI card below 5XXX won't support more than 2 displays at the same time. These hardwares only have 2 CRTC chips. Each CRTC can only drive all displays route from it in mirror mode.

another interesting part is i cant switch to only the 2 external svga and dvi.

Maybe later add user options to select which 2 from all connected displays to use. Don't know how OSX handle this natively.

running on 10.6.7

step # 4 locked up the fullmode locked up the the screen on boot up. Gray screen on the internal with the white and black strips on attached vga just like Razorbackeve post below

Test 4 here causes:

1.Grey screen on internal, white and black strips on attached vga

2.Kernel panic on internal, white and black strips on attached vga.

Ok, previous problem encountered here now. I think mostly it comes from the functions to help system get the EDID data. It may enable other logical route not known by me.

Topic has been updated with 2 new part codes added separately. Plz test to see which one is the bad one.

Ok, previous problem encountered here now. I think mostly it comes from the functions to help system get the EDID data. It may enable other logical route not known by me.

Topic has been updated with 2 new part codes added separately. Plz test to see which one is the bad one.

running on 10.6.7

switching between mirror and extended was working back in step 3 on my laptop.

now switching between mirror and extended are not on the new RadeonHD.fullMode. when switching to mirror, the screens both get messed up(full screen strips of the desktop that are shifted mouse and keyboard still work) and when switched back to extended the displays are fine.

I included the dump for this one

the RadeonHD.DDCtest has the same effect as before "Gray screen on the internal with the white and black strips on attached svga"

RadeonHD.fullMode.rtf

Thank you guys for tests. Now I edited 04/26 code to remove problem part. Plz test again to see if it will work or not. Link in topic test (4).

ppl's hardware must be different somewhere from mine. I always can't run into those specific problem here on T60.