• Please log in to reply
900 replies to this topic

yjwong

yjwong

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

saying it could not find those files, I've figured out that being in the /Extensions folder I have to specify the kext and so I've runed the commands:
sudo chmod 0644 RadeonHD.kext/Contents/Info.plist
sudo chmod 0644 RadeonHD.kext/Contents/MacOS/RadeonHD
sudo chmod 0644 RadeonHD.kext/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/InfoPlist.strings[/code]
which did not throw any errors.

My bad. I accidentally left out the RadeonHD.kext. Have you tried loading the kext manually?

cd /System/Library/Extensions
sudo kextload -v 6 RadeonHD.kext

edgecrush3r

edgecrush3r

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Hey, I can't get it working.
I downloaded RadeonHD for SL ,i've added the .plist file from you to the kext (after renaming it "info.plist") and then I've installed the kext with kext helper, also I've deleted AtiRadeonX2000.kext.
I've runed your commands:

cd /System/Library/Extensions
sudo chown -Rvf root:wheel RadeonHD.kext
sudo chmod -Rvf 0775 RadeonHD.kext
sudo chmod 0644 Contents/Info.plist
sudo chmod 0644 Contents/MacOS/RadeonHD
sudo chmod 0644 Contents/Resources/English.lproj/InfoPlist.strings
but I got error messages when running either of the following:
sudo chmod 0644 Contents/Info.plist
sudo chmod 0644 Contents/MacOS/RadeonHD
sudo chmod 0644 Contents/Resources/English.lproj/InfoPlist.strings

saying it could not find those files, I've figured out that being in the /Extensions folder I have to specify the kext and so I've runed the commands:
sudo chmod 0644 RadeonHD.kext/Contents/Info.plist
sudo chmod 0644 RadeonHD.kext/Contents/MacOS/RadeonHD
sudo chmod 0644 RadeonHD.kext/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/InfoPlist.strings[/code]
which did not throw any errors.
BUT I CANNOT manage to get the kext RadeonHD to load (I allways check in System Profiler,Software,Extensions).
forgot to mention, also I have tried repairing permissions with Disk Utility after running those commands but still nothing.
What should I do ?
Please give me a steb-by-step guide on how to get this done.I'm tired of using SL only with 1024x768.

you will need to update the cache after copying the file to the System/Library/Extensions folder.
open terminal and type:
sudo kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions

yjwong

yjwong

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

open terminal and type:
sudo kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions

For Snow Leopard:
Note that kextcache -k is no longer supported. At least on my system, it shows:

yjwong-macbookpro:~ yjwong$ kextcache -k
-k is no longer used; ignoring.
No work to do; check options and try again.

Instead, do a:

sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions

And the system will regenerate the kextcache upon next bootup.

Fuzzy_Logic

Fuzzy_Logic

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

For Snow Leopard:
Note that kextcache -k is no longer supported. At least on my system, it shows:

yjwong-macbookpro:~ yjwong$ kextcache -k
 -k is no longer used; ignoring.
 No work to do; check options and try again.

Instead, do a:

sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions

And the system will regenerate the kextcache upon next bootup.

Sorry for responding so late.
I still did't manage to get the damn kext loaded.
I really don't know what I am doing wrong.I'm sure I'm doing everything by the book.
I'm starting to suspect SL itself, I don't have a vanilla install,but the SnowOSX_Universal_10.6(432)GM_v3.5. I tried making my own USB installer(restoring the image to my thumb drive, installing chameleon, adding boot file from netkas and changing osinstall.mpkg to allow installation on mbr partition scheme) but it hangs on the colored spinning wheel right at the beginning.

semantics

semantics

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I've taken a look into the 10/28 source code and think I've found a solution for the skewed mouse problem. The patch and a fixed build for 10.6 i386 are attached.

I tested on my 10.6.2 with Mobility Radeon X1300 with success.

The cause is explained in the source. Basically it's a wrong assumption made about the format of the cursor data returned by IOFrameBuffer::convertCursorImage (wrapped by VSLPrepareCursorForHardwareCursor).

Dong, if you find this useful, feel free to include in your source tree.

Attached Files

nomaj

nomaj

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

I've taken a look into the 10/28 source code and think I've found a solution for the skewed mouse problem. The patch and a fixed build for 10.6 i386 are attached.

The cause is explained in the source. Basically it's a wrong assumption made about the format of the cursor data returned by IOFrameBuffer::convertCursorImage (wrapped by VSLPrepareCursorForHardwareCursor).

GREAT! thanks! keep it coming I'm looking on this thread every day... generaly this driver is our last hope for tricky Radeons...
Once again great work!

dong

dong

InsanelyMac Sage

• Retired Developers
  • 366 posts

Great thanks to semantics! It works for me too.
After checking your fix, I found out that I made a mistake during reverse engineering ATI's driver. The code is actually something like this:
int i, j;		for (i = 63;i >= 0;i--)			for (j = 63;j >= 0;j--) {				if ((i >= hardwareCursorInfo.cursorHeight) || (j >= hardwareCursorInfo.cursorWidth))					rhdPtr->CursorImage[i * 64 + j] = 0;				else					rhdPtr->CursorImage[i * 64 + j] = rhdPtr->CursorImage[i * hardwareCursorInfo.cursorWidth + j];				rhdPtr->CursorImage[i * 64 + j] = GammaCorrectARGB32(gTable, rhdPtr->CursorImage[i * 64 + j]);			}               }
This way it does apply the pad you mentioned.
Thanks again
I will update the topic when a couple of other problems are fixed.

semantics

semantics

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Glad that I can help. :)

Next I'd be interested in making it work in 64 bit mode. You mentioned maybe there's some bug in the atom bios code, right? Any more clues? I'll see if I can find something out here.

Great thanks to semantics! It works for me too.
After checking your fix, I found out that I made a mistake during reverse engineering ATI's driver. The code is actually something like this:

This way it does apply the pad you mentioned.
Thanks again
I will update the topic when a couple of other problems are fixed.

dong

dong

InsanelyMac Sage

• Retired Developers
  • 366 posts

Glad that I can help. ;)

Next I'd be interested in making it work in 64 bit mode. You mentioned maybe there's some bug in the atom bios code, right? Any more clues? I'll see if I can find something out here.

I just suspect the code in AtomBios folder may cause the failure for 64 bit. Is that code released by ATI? Debug this code is really difficult.
If you really figure out the fix for 64 bit, that will be a big plus to current project. I don't have much time available for the driver currently.

yjwong

yjwong

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

I'm starting to suspect SL itself, I don't have a vanilla install,but the SnowOSX_Universal_10.6(432)GM_v3.5. I tried making my own USB installer(restoring the image to my thumb drive, installing chameleon, adding boot file from netkas and changing osinstall.mpkg to allow installation on mbr partition scheme) but it hangs on the colored spinning wheel right at the beginning.

Hmm. I forgot to mention that I'm running a vanilla install. I'm used EmpireEFI to install, then replaced it with MyHack after installation. I used a GUID disk, but after that moved the OS X partition to a MBR disk via Linux (mv -p). Not too sure if these matter though. We have the exact same graphics card.

kiepas

kiepas

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

can you do that fix for 10.5 please? (use the 10/28 kext)

dong

dong

InsanelyMac Sage

• Retired Developers
  • 366 posts
FYI, the topic is updated with the hardware cursor fix.

kiepas

kiepas

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
Big thanks Dong, cursor works great, i'm testing new driver now. Qe/Ci on radeon mobility HD2300 still working.
Im using iAtkos 7 with 1058 update

nubz69

nubz69

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
ok I installed this driver on my HP 6280s and it works except that now I have no mouse cursor. I can click on things but there is no mouse. I removed the kext and my laptop went back to a lower resolution but I still have no cursor. I can interact with items on the screen using the mouse but you just cannot see the cursor. Anyone able to tell me how to fix this?

I have now found that if I increase the size of the cursor above a certain size that it reappears. Someone in another post had this problem as well and posted about that is how he was dealing with the problem. I also found a post with a kext for switching from hardware to software for the cursor but I don't know how to do that on my own. Does anyone have any idea for a fix for this?

kiepas

kiepas

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Big thanks Dong, cursor works great, i'm testing new driver now. Qe/Ci on radeon mobility HD2300 still working.
Im using iAtkos 7 with 1058 update

still some random kernel panics but its better thanks dong

JoocKer

JoocKer

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
i do not know what i`m doing wrong but my cursor is still skewed

i have installet the kext on ideneb 10.5.8

0xdeadbeef

0xdeadbeef

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts

FYI, the topic is updated with the hardware cursor fix.

Dong, h/w cursor setting in the latest driver has no effect for me - I get a skewed cursor now even with it disabled.

2400 Mobility.

prowlingfox

prowlingfox

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
Hey...Dong....i've got a toshiba notebook with ATI Mobility Radeon HD 45xx series....i recently saw a post on netkas's blog about your drivers for 45xx/46xx/48xx for non-mobility. i was wondering if there is any hope for mobility support for that driver in the near future?

super_engine

super_engine

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 191 posts
Tested 12/18 version (upgrade for mouse tearing)

Perfectly working on my HP6820s with X1350

Thanks a lot my big hero DONG

carlone99

carlone99

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Strange thing here, while the pre hw coursor is working correctly, the 18-12-2009 version with skewed cursor fixed,
does not load at boot. Kextstat report no radeonhd.kext was loaded. If I try to load manually it load and kextstat detects it. I deleted the Extension.mkext and booted with -f without success.

Anyone have ideas ?

My configuration:

Dell 9400, T7200, ati x1400, 3 gb.
Snow Leopard 10.6.2.

Thanks
Giuseppe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy