ATI HD framebuffer driver (10.5/10.6) with source code

dong

900 posts in this topic

It happened that I knew xorg RadeonHD earlier than xorg Radeon. And initially I only want to make my X1400 mobility working better, which is already covered by RadeonHD. Later on, I did give the Radeon source code a roughly reading. It looks to me that Radeon has more contents depend heavily on other linux modules. This can make it hard to port to OSX. I can be wrong, further reading will be needed to clarify this.

xorg-video-ati has a head start in card support and atombios support - atombios came to radeonhd relatively late. Notwithstanding that fact, radeonhd is a simpler and more elegant driver that is less dependent on linux quirks ( like the kernel hdmi support, etc ). The atombios bolt-on for radeonhd is advantageous for our purposes when it comes to providing support for mobility cards etc, but since the native osx framebuffers haven't in general used atombios for anything much to date, that's about the only thing it's useful for. RadeonHD is a much better fit to the osx driver model than xorg-video-ati, as well as being contributed to by people on staff at AMD. Keeping track of a constantly updated xorg-video-ati linux driver would be very difficult too, I should think.

Hi,

thanks for the great work.

I've read this thread many times but I'm still confused about Mobility Radeon OS X drivers status.

I understand that this is framebuffer driver built from ported Linux code to bring Mobility Radeon basic mode setting to OS X. There is written it can't cooperate with ATIRadeonX2000.kext to get Mobility Radeon with QE/CI working, but there are also comments claiming to get some Mobility Radeons working even with QE/CI using this RadeonHD.kext and ATIRadeonX1000.kext... so what am I missing?

How is it possible to get Mobility Radeon X1400 work with RadeonHD.kext for setting resolution and ATIRadeonX1000.kext for QE/CI?

I've got Sony VAIO FW41 with Mobility Radeon HD 4650...

1) I was able to get RadeonHD.kext working with my EDID provided in Info.plist and I am now able to get my native 1600x900 resolution (in 32-bit mode only and without HW cursor enabled).

BIG THANKS!

2) Since I am on 10.6.2 with support for desktop RadeonHD 4650 (ATIRadeonX2000.kext and ATIController4600.kext) I've tried those... with newest PC EFI 10.5 and GraphicsEnabler(solves KP problem) I can boot with ATIRadeonX2000.kext but there's only a mess on screen with it.

Any chance to get these work together?

I also noticed that with GraphicsEnabler set to "yes" the RadeonHD.kext doesn't load during boot even without ATIRadeonX2000.kext present.

For those who can't make RadeonHD.kext to work: check if you run kernel in 32-bit mode(-x32 boot option) and if you don't have GraphicsEnabler or any injectors enabled...

Thank you for answers.

dong, I would like to say great work for your support on the ATI platform. Thanks for the kexts and drivers making this possible. However I would like to ask something. I have in my asus laptop ATI mobility 3650 with 1GB VRAM. In Windows it clears displays the 1GB being used. On iPC 10.5.6 OSX I installed the RadeonHD.kext.10.5, from the 10/28 version, repaired permissions etc and it works! However, why does it only display my VRAM as 256MB and is CI/QE working yet for this card and if yes, how to do it :-)

Thanks for your support and keep up the good work!

post-527392-1264031425_thumb.jpg

dong, I would like to say great work for your support on the ATI platform. Thanks for the kexts and drivers making this possible. However I would like to ask something. I have in my asus laptop ATI mobility 3650 with 1GB VRAM. In Windows it clears displays the 1GB being used. On iPC 10.5.6 OSX I installed the RadeonHD.kext.10.5, from the 10/28 version, repaired permissions etc and it works! However, why does it only display my VRAM as 256MB and is CI/QE working yet for this card and if yes, how to do it :-)
until now, both xorg-radeonHD and xorg-radeon can only access 256M video memory. But don't worry, the card itself can utilize other memory for any purpose. xorg-radeon guys plan to build some memory management code to solve this problem. As for QE/CI, any card need ATIRadeonX2000.kext can not enable it yet with RadeonHD.kext.

udong, Thanks for the reply and information. Ok, thats understood about the VRAM issue. With the ATIX2000.kext, I have checked my system/library/extensions and there is ATIRadeonX2000.kext in there. is ATIX2000.kext different than this one? Thanks again...

until now, both xorg-radeonHD and xorg-radeon can only access 256M video memory. But don't worry, the card itself can utilize other memory for any purpose. xorg-radeon guys plan to build some memory management code to solve this problem. As for QE/CI, any card need ATIX2000.kext can not enable it yet with RadeonHD.kext.

So how is the future looking for the Mobility series? How do you see it? I have a Mobility 3470...qe/ci would be grat...

dong, Is it possible to make QE/CI work with ATI mobility Radeon 3650? I have the kext in s/l/e but it doesnt seem to load it. However, the graphics work fine at a useable resolution ^_^

read what Dong write to you...

"As for QE/CI, any card need ATIRadeonX2000.kext can not enable it yet with RadeonHD.kext"

so it not work... we are waiting!

nomaj and dong, I already have ATIRadeonX2000.kext in S/L/E. Are you saying that even people who have this file cannot access QE/CI yet? Sorry but your answers are not exactly clear, must be the way I am interpreting the English you guys are writing :-|

nomaj and dong, I already have ATIRadeonX2000.kext in S/L/E. Are you saying that even people who have this file cannot access QE/CI yet? Sorry but your answers are not exactly clear, must be the way I am interpreting the English you guys are writing :-|

Right. To be perfectly clear - ATIRadeonX2000 does not work at all with RadeonHD yet. It might in the future if we get really lucky.

Also RadeonHD has nothing directly to do with QE/CI - that is provided by ATIRadeonX2000.kext, although you also need a framebuffer of some description.

Discussion in this thread should be limited to RadeonHD - not how to install kexts or how to add device-ids or how to load X2000.kext because for the moment it does not work.

Hey Dong!

Reading that 10.6.3 has a OpenGL 3.x inside...(i got that form Netkast blog...)

I was wondering .... i's that changing anything regarding to get QE/CI on mobility radeons especial 3650 ???

I bet it won't change much. Sorry that I'm now busy in my new real life job. I really misss my old nice boss who can endure everything of me. Hopefully when everything is settled down, I will continue the ati research again. I have to say that it's easy to move you away from this project from time to time because no useful documents can be found to guide you. You have to wait for a time when you feel happy and ready to do a solo again.

I bet it won't change much. Sorry that I'm now busy in my new real life job. I really misss my old nice boss who can endure everything of me. Hopefully when everything is settled down, I will continue the ati research again. I have to say that it's easy to move you away from this project from time to time because no useful documents can be found to guide you. You have to wait for a time when you feel happy and ready to do a solo again.

No hurry... real life is real! You are already done fantastic work with this kext... =)

Hi All I've got a Dell Studio 1555 ruing iATKOS v7 and a ATI Mobility RADEON HD 4570..

Can anyone tell me if this will work and how I'd install it?I've tried and had many failed attempts and I've stuck at 1024x768 instead of 1366x768

Thanks

Hi,

I wonder if anyone can help. I've got a Radeon 3470, I've installed the RadeonHD.kext into S/L/E, repaired permissions, but I still get the following error:

10RadeonDump is not compatible with its superclass, 9IOService superclass changed?

kextload: a link/load error occured for kernel extension RadeonHD.kext

link/load failed for extension RadeonHD.kext

(run kextload with -t for diagnostic output)

I've updated the EDID as well.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Jas

Hi Dong,

My configuration FYI :

HP Pavillon HDX 9000 Core 2 Duo

Graphic Card : ATi Radeon HD 2600 XT Mobility (Device ID 9583).

OS : Snow Leaopard (10.6.0) Retail DVD install - Vanilla Kernel - Not updated yet

I've installed your driver (12/18/2009 update) in Extra/Extension without disabling "ATIRadeonX2000.kext" and with my own EDID.

If I set "enableHWCursor" in Info.plist to false, I get the following screen (Gray screen without mouse cursor) :

img0004bm.jpg

If I set "enableHWCursor" in Info.plist to true, I get the following screen (screen with scrambled caracters and working mouse cursor):

img0006yf.jpg

If "ATIRadeonX2000.kext" is disabled and "enableHWCursor" is set to false, everything works good. I can change resolution screen etc...

Maybe this can help to provide a way to update/correct your driver for a good working with "ATIRadeonX2000.kext".

In anyway big Thanks for your work!!!

Kind regards,

Colio

It could be the framebuffer driver problem because I did not take that into account yet. But I'm not sure at this time. There are codes in the native framebuffer driver related to power management. I need to figure out if that is required for sleep and/or energy save functions.

PC EFI V 10.6 released

* Support for desktop Radeons 4300/4500/4600 in GraphicsEnabler

* Added system-id fix, system doesn’t forget your keyboard settings anymore

* Added fix for lynnfield cpus

hope this helps, i tried it and still no QE :rolleyes:

[12/18/2009 update]:

Fully supported hardware cursor now (hopefully, and still for user with QE/CI already enabled). I adjusted part of code related to memory allocating/freeing, and hope it will reduce the KP rate for some users. Initial resolution is changed back to use the native resolution of the detected display instead of the boot vesa resolution used in 10/28 version. The "BackLightLevel" option is not working as I expected, set it to 0 if you have problem with backlight.

dong i found that your driver comes with some improvements :( yes

just tested again and guess what ? works

i had to change the "BackLightLevel" to "0" as you mentioned.

in system profiler now the VRAM (Total): is 256 MB not 512 MB as it supposed to be but that doesn't matter because i just made some benchmarks with OpenGL Extension Viewer version 3.16

Here are some nice results:

OpenGLEvoenablerATiNDRV.tiffOpenGLEvoenablerATiNDRV_2.tiff

and after with your kext

OpenGLRadeonHD.tiffOpenGLRadeonHD_2.tiff

Hope the images names are self explanatory. Grate job mate. I'll look forward to your job.

Cheers