ATI HD framebuffer driver (10.5/10.6) with source code

dong

900 posts in this topic

Put it into /S/L/E/ and rebuild the cache to test. It will not affect vanilla driver.

Any injector will prevent this driver from loading since it works the same way as IONDRVSupport.

[FAQ:]

1. get a blank or dark screen after boot, or the screen keep flashing

In RadeonHD.kext/Contents/Info.plist, set "BackLightLevel" to 0 or "enableBacklight" to false. Rebuild the kernel cache and reboot.

2. the cursor is a block of colors

In RadeonHD.kext/Contents/Info.plist, set "EnableHardWareCursor" to false. Rebuild the kernel cache and reboot.

3. after close and open lid, the screen is scrumbled.

I suggest the DSDT Clamshell fix in Silencers's post. It changes the behavior to sleep when lid is closed. Now sleep is supported in latest driver, so this should be no problem.

Locate method _LID of the device LID and change it as shown. The idea is to check the Lid register and then if it is closed we notify the Sleep button that it was "pushed".

Name (LIDS, One)

Method (_LID, 0, NotSerialized)

{

Store (^^PCI0.LPC.EC.HPLD, LIDS) 

XOr (LIDS, One, Local0)

If (Local0)						

{ 

Notify (SLPB, 0x80)				

} 

Return (LIDS)

}

4. not working on 10.6.8/10.7

10.6.8 and 10.7 updated the graphic driver framework, make present RadeonHD.kext not working any more. Before I have time to rebuild a version for latest system, people can try RadeonHD.kext with 10.6.7 IOGraphicsFamily.kext, IONDRVSupport.kext, IOPCIFamily.kext and AppleACPIPlatform.kext on 10.6.8/10.7.

[notes:]

• Linux Radeon code updated to 1.2.5. No support to radeon hd5XXX and later cards in this code.
  • version without AtomBios may only works for cards with quirk table included in Linux code.

[*]Info.plist has some custom options.

• Set "debugMode" to true will disable switch resolution and boot with VESA mode, which may help gathering debug information if normal mode not works for you.
    • Put your EDID data in "EDID", it will be used if autodetect EDID failed.
    • Set "verboseLevel" to 0 if you don't want the debug information.

[*]The driver may sometimes causes KP during boot, the version updated on 10/20 seems no longer hangs for me.

[*]Some users are looking for QE/CI here. You should first get to know that framebuffer driver is not dedicated for QE/CI. If your card is not supported by ATIRadeonX1000/2000 kexts, there is no chance this framebuffer driver will help you.

I decided to make the source code available, such that users who have the ability can try to modify it to suit for their needs. There is no reason not to do this since it's based on the open source project. Now the code still contains bugs in it and lacks many framebuffer functions. Also the code is somehow ugly, such as the usage of global variables for easy access.

Source code (including both 10.5/10.6, read "Compile_instruction" before build the target):

http://code.google.com/p/osx86-driver-radeonhd/

and you can report bugs to:

http://code.google.com/p/osx86-driver-radeonhd/issues/list

[05/17/2011 test]:

I decided to test the driver based on old RadeonHD version step by step.

(1)Below version only changes the attach position from card device node to a nub node (2 heads means 2 nubs, now only 1 for test). If it works, we will move to next step.

10.6 32 bit only: RadeonHD.nub.zip

(2)Add another nub, but not active for now. It will show as "not connected" in "About this Mac".

10.6 32 bit only: RadeonHD.2nubs.zip

(3)Two nubs active for extension Mode. Mirror mode is not handled gracefully yet.

10.6 32 bit only: RadeonHD.extensionMode.zip10.5 (not tested): RadeonHD.10.5Extended.zip

(4)Ok, latest test show code for mirror mode and Monitor information cause problems. I need reconsider it for a while. Use above link for extended mode if u want 2 heads.

[04/26/2011 test]:

Added in two head support. This test package includes RadeonController.kext/RadeonHD.kext. If get into desktop without problem, RadeonDump output all the log information.

Has no hotplug function, must plug both displays before boot to enable 2 head function. Assume both displays have native resolutions.

Tests show that the boot display must continue to use the same VRAM area for scanout. I add code to let internal display to tie to first CRTC that use that part of VRAM. Below drivers all work here. If you still have problem with them, try change "forceSwitchCrtc" to "true" in RadeonController.kext's UserOptions.

Since it's hard to debug, lets forget about 2heads for now. I add hardwaremirror in previous RadeonHD version. Let's see if it will work at all.

RadeonHD_10.6.zipRadeonHD_10.5.zip

[05/26/2010 update]:

madchicken fixed the cursor caused KP problem. Great job.

RadeonHD.10.6.x.kext.zip

RadeonHD.10.5.x.kext.zip

[05/13/2010 update]:

Thanks to madchicken and semantics, now sleep (though deep sleep not work yet) is supported.

The cursor disappear in MS Word problem is solved, hopefully it will solve other similar cursor problems.

10.6 32 bit kext

Thanks to semantics, here comes a not expected update.

[12/18/2009 update]:

Fully supported hardware cursor now (hopefully, and still for user with QE/CI already enabled). I adjusted part of code related to memory allocating/freeing, and hope it will reduce the KP rate for some users. Initial resolution is changed back to use the native resolution of the detected display instead of the boot vesa resolution used in 10/28 version. The "BackLightLevel" option is not working as I expected, set it to 0 if you have problem with backlight.

[10/28/2009 update]:

Initial support for HardwareCursor. Good: No more mouse tearing for me; Bad: mouse cursor is skewed.

If your card has no QE/CI support yet, enable hardwareCursor will produce a color block for mouse cursor. Try set "enableHWCursor" in Info.plist to false to avoid this.

ole2, I'm sorry that I did not try your suggest to deal with google code and svn stuff. I'm actually busy test the new functions. Since it now works for some people, I put it here and hope you can help me update them to google code.

From now on, I will switch to rewrite all code, making them inherited from IOFramebuffer as omni suggested. That means, no more update on this code.

[10/20/2009 update]:

Finally get the VoodooDumpMsg work, it will help with debug. Run "RadeonDump" in terminal after entering desktop will produce full debug messages without leftout. No other function added. Thanks ole2 for the reminding.

[10/17/2009 update]:

Since some card need the Backlight tuning step, some don't, I add an option "enableBacklight" in Info.plist and default to on. Set it to off if default is not work.

[10/14/2009 update]:

Add some common resolutions if only the native one is detected. Provide a card name to be displayed in system profile. Both are 32 bit AtomBios version.

[10/13/2009 update]:

A x1300 mobility user successfully entered desktop with native resolution but backlight turned off after that. Here is the version removed the backlight tuning steps in case you run into the same condition.

[10/12/2009 update]:

All works for my x1400, but you need test to see if it works for you or not.

• Like 4

Hello, I just tested it and didn't work (couldn't enter GUI). The computer didn't seem to hang though (disk activity and poping sound)

Config is Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo Pi 1556 with Mobility X1900 running Leopard 10.5.8

I checked system.log but I haven't seen anything related to the kext. I wondered if it didn't worked because it's a 10.6 version or because EDID is maybe not readable through DDC (from where do linux & windows drivers get it then ?).

Thank you for continuing your work on this, I'm at your disposal to test anything.

In this initial kext, the boot resolution is the vesa one if you did not try to change the resolution before. That means, if the vesa one not work for you, you may can not enter GUI and don't have a chance to switch to non-VESA resolution provided by this kext. I will try to release a new kext to give a non-VESA boot resolution.

In 10.6, all the IOLogs go to kernel.log, no longer in system.log.

Ok, I have some questions then :

-Can ATILead or other injector interfere with the driver and prevent it from working properly?

-Is the kext supposed to be Leopard & Snow Leopard compatible or Snow only?

-If it is Snow only, is it possible to have a Leopard version too?

VESA resolution (1024x768) usually works when ATILead is removed.

I'm using Leopard not Snow, so I guess IOLogs still go in system.log for me.

This time I removed ATILead, ATINDRV and ATIRadeonX1000 kexts to be sure no kext would interfere.

It hangs when entering the GUI. I mean when the blue screen should appear, no disk activity, no sound.

I tried using my EDID in the plist file with no luck.

I thought my EDID was readable via DDC but I may be mistaken. What is the driver's expected behaviour if no EDID is read from DDC?

I also failed retreiving informations in the system.log.

I feel like this is not very helpful… :)

I tried the version with user provided EDID and it didn't work. It does the same as before, hanging after launching loginwindow.app, when the GUI should appear.

There's apparently no IOLogs nor dmesg outputs, maybe we could provide more useful informations with a more verbose version of the kext, to at least estimate what function is causing the crash.

I'm glad to see there's an other tester for this project!

cheers

lebidou, since your card can boot with vesa mode. I uploaded new kext using vesa mode only (no switch function), but it can provide some debug information with each line start with "RadeonHD: " and hopefully will be found in system.log. It may also list available resolutions in display Preference if EDID data is handled correctly.

Ok I got something this time !

But as you can see on picture it's a bit wierd… maybe the EDID isn't handled correctly. No resolutions are detected other than 1024x768.

dscf2148.th.jpg

I attached the log, there is a problem with Connector initialization.

I hope this is more helpful!

Radeon_HD_Log.txt

Just a quick response.

Both of your logs says unidentified card. I'm sorry to say that the linux code used in the kext are somehow old. I'll check if your cards are supported in latest linux code and update the kext at a later time.

Thanks for your time.

Just a quick response.

Both of your logs says unidentified card. I'm sorry to say that the linux code used in the kext are somehow old. I'll check if your cards are supported in latest linux code and update the kext at a later time.

Thanks for your time.

I use a mandriva '09 live cd for maintenance stuff, and the drivers provided on it supports my card with acceleration, resolution etc.

Anyway it's good to see some progress on this project ! Thank you for work !

Hey Dong, I have interesting idea - porting radeon modesetting to booter, then passing parametrs of new framebuffer to kernel, so osx can use native resolution without any additional kexts. well, just like efi does it .

Hi Dong

I am a very old user of ATI Mobility Radeon (X1350)

I, before reading your last job, not had hope.

Now

I tried your kext for 10.5 with user EDID

Booterd with F8+"Graphics mode"="1440x900x32"

The Laptop boor correctly, in the GUI i can see two resolutions: 1024x768 and 1440x900 but when i try to choice 1440x900 the system crash

But i think that this is a good start point. How i can help you ?????

Sorry for late reply, I'm busy debugging my code.

You idea is nice in the way that it seeks to be more closing to a real mac. But I'm not quite clear of how to make booter to include radeon modesetting. So you mean efi do so instead of setting a VESA mode only?

Hey Dong, I have interesting idea - porting radeon modesetting to booter, then passing parametrs of new framebuffer to kernel, so osx can use native resolution without any additional kexts. well, just like efi does it .

Hello,

The result is the same as before with the AtomBios&Backlight version, and still the same without AtomBios :

with debugMode I get into GUI, 1024x768 only with bluish coulours;

otherwise, the display get stuck entering the GUI. However the computer is still running : sound control produces beeps, power button shut down the computer.

The log (attached) tells the same as before : Unknown card, failed retreiving connector information.

For info, I checked get-edid under Ubuntu (I didn't remember what the output was), so my display is supposed to be DDC compliant, with EDID on line DDC2.

LeBidou_X1900M___RadeonHD___AtomBios.txt

If the initialization step failed, the driver stopped there and the EDID stuff is not handled yet. I need to check the rhdConnectorInit function to see what could be the reason.

The log (attached) tells the same as before : Unknown card, failed retreiving connector information.

DONG

You are my new hero

PERFECTLY working for my ATI Radeon Mobility X1350 (Dev ID 7196)

Tested version with AtomBIOS code and with my Laptop EDID.

Now i have perfect 1440x900 full resolution

Also QE/CI works very fine (editing ATIRadeonX1000.kext - plist and HEX file)

Many Many Many......Thanks

lebido and Boombeng,

I tried my x1400 with quirk table removed from source. The RHDConnectorsInit function worked well here without any problem with ATOMBIOS code.

It looks like both of your cards' BIOS ROM do not contain enough information in it to get connector init done.

Did you guys tried RadeonHD driver (not the fglrx driver which is close sourced) in linux?

If it works there, then there is no reason for the failing of RHDConnectorsInit function here.

If it does not work there as well, you guys may need to run the utils tool come with RadeonHD linux source code and post the results. Then we can check to see if we can make the quirk table by ourselves out from the result.

Quiet the same results here too

Dong

You are the Man!!!

Your kext worked, changed display resolution from standard Vesa 1024x768 to 1366x768 which is default res i get in vista. Although no option to switch resolution in display settings. Kext used for 10.6 32bit with atom bios no backlight.

Then installed ATIRadeonX2000 kext just to see what would happen, and got blank white screen which is a change as usually got black and white squares.

Looks like you are close to framebuffer kext.

have attached kernal logs without and with ATIRadeonX2000.

Let me know if you require any other info.

radeonhd.txt

radeonhdx2000.rtf

Did you guys tried RadeonHD driver (not the fglrx driver which is close sourced) in linux?

If it works there, then there is no reason for the failing of RHDConnectorsInit function here.

If it does not work there as well, you guys may need to run the utils tool come with RadeonHD linux source code and post the results. Then we can check to see if we can make the quirk table by ourselves out from the result.

I just come to try latest RadeonHD (1.3) with ubuntu and guess what ? it doesn't work... :wacko: there is a crappy bug at boot

as soon as I run util tool I'll post the result here

cheers