ASUS P7P55D Deluxe running snow leopard, has any one tried it

71 posts in this topic

Hello!

Does anyone found a real solution for the sound card?

Just kind of picked this post to do my 'reply' at random... my question is...

I don't want to sound unappreciative, but... if I'm reading right... the price of admission, to build a machine that can run OS X using an Asus P7P55d Deluxe... is a mac, or another hack... this seems like a high price. To build a hack/mac you need to start with a hack/mac... am I reading things correctly?

It seems that someone could get to the point where the USB drive is properly set... and zip it... and make it available... and that would (what's the word...) obviate the need for the mac/hack. Or does the size or liability make this impractical.

I have the requisite P7P55D Deluxe. I'm hoping to make it dual book win 7 and OS X... to dip my feet in the water... to see if I want to switch to the dark, er, Mac side. But the price of admission, even with a legal copy of SL (albeit being used in a manner potentially contrary to APL's wishes), is awfully high. If that IS the price of admission... then I'm thinking to buy a used Mac Mini with ? tiger? leopard? But then... would it need to be an intel unit?

Thanks for putting up with my rambling and whining. Any suggestions? Do I just need to read deeper?

Scott

p.s. that I see that I'm member 546666 seems ominous :-)

Hi Scott,

I'm from Canada. I've got to admit that when you take a look to the price of an Imac with the I7 cpu, I save about 500$ if I'm not mistaken.

If it wasn't for saving my Lynx soundcard I think I'd buy an Imac. That Imac seems to be the first system with which Apple came out that the price is not far from what it cost to build the exact thing on a PC.

If I'M offtrack with what I said, let me know

Hi Scott,

I'm from Canada. I've got to admit that when you take a look to the price of an Imac with the I7 cpu, I save about 500$ if I'm not mistaken.

If it wasn't for saving my Lynx soundcard I think I'd buy an Imac. That Imac seems to be the first system with which Apple came out that the price is not far from what it cost to build the exact thing on a PC.

If I'M offtrack with what I said, let me know

Hi Sirius19,

Thanks for the quick reply. Hope things are going well in Canada. I'm thinking it probably cold there this time of year, eh?

Regarding an Imac with an I7 versus build-your-own, my question had to do with... you can't apparently build your own unless you already have a mac... the seemly great recipe from dgeordgy21 includes a step (or two) that requires one to already have a mac... that's what I'm curious about. If it were a question of 'cost of parts to build your own' versus 'cost of an imac', that'd sound like a fair comparison. But the 'cost of parts to build your own' assumes you have access to a mac already... which I don't... Thus I was noodling whether I was reading everything right, or if there was a way around that requirement... or, if not, what is the cheapest mac mini that could fit the bill.

Cheers,

Scott

Hi Scott from Austin

Since I guess you are from Austin, I don't know if you prefer the cowboys or the Houston Texans. For myself I was pretty glad to see the Cowboys leaving N.O with a win. Hoping they will find a solution for the kicker.

For what you wrote on your last message, I understand what you're meaning here. You actually need to have an access to a mac in order to install your Hackintosh.

I worked a solution with a mac that the music teacher uses at the school where I work. Unfortunately I realised today that I still need it to do some little things with my usb memory stick in order to begin the installation. I'll try to find someone in the holidays.

The thing is that you only need a Mac in order to prepare your usb image key that will install Snowleopard. Since Austin seems a great city for musicians (I watch Austin city Limits every week that I can), there is surely a guy with a Mac that would let you do an Image. All you need is a USB stick (8gig minimum) and a snowleopard disk.

Hope you'll find a solution

Hi Sirius19,

Thanks for the quick reply. Hope things are going well in Canada. I'm thinking it probably cold there this time of year, eh?

Regarding an Imac with an I7 versus build-your-own, my question had to do with... you can't apparently build your own unless you already have a mac... the seemly great recipe from dgeordgy21 includes a step (or two) that requires one to already have a mac... that's what I'm curious about. If it were a question of 'cost of parts to build your own' versus 'cost of an imac', that'd sound like a fair comparison. But the 'cost of parts to build your own' assumes you have access to a mac already... which I don't... Thus I was noodling whether I was reading everything right, or if there was a way around that requirement... or, if not, what is the cheapest mac mini that could fit the bill.

Cheers,

Scott

Hi Scott from Austin

Since I guess you are from Austin, I don't know if you prefer the cowboys or the Houston Texans. For myself I was pretty glad to see the Cowboys leaving N.O with a win. Hoping they will find a solution for the kicker.

For what you wrote on your last message, I understand what you're meaning here. You actually need to have an access to a mac in order to install your Hackintosh.

I worked a solution with a mac that the music teacher uses at the school where I work. Unfortunately I realised today that I still need it to do some little things with my usb memory stick in order to begin the installation. I'll try to find someone in the holidays.

The thing is that you only need a Mac in order to prepare your usb image key that will install Snowleopard. Since Austin seems a great city for musicians (I watch Austin city Limits every week that I can), there is surely a guy with a Mac that would let you do an Image. All you need is a USB stick (8gig minimum) and a snowleopard disk.

Hope you'll find a solution

Hi Sirius19,

ACL's great... Cowboy's? at times... Texan's? not so much. Of course we have hockey, too. Not at the level of Canada, but still played on ice.

Thanks for confirming my understanding. Yes, for sure I can find someone to help me. It'll have to be someone with a certain level of comfort with all things mac, given dgeordgy21's admonishment...

EXTREMELY IMPORTANT NOTE: I can not possibly stress how important it is that you ensure you are installing to the USB drive and NOT the root partition of the computer you have run the installer on.

I have the SL and the 8gb thumb drive, so I'm on my way... I'm assuming dual boot with Win7 should be no problem. I'm wanting to do RAID10 for the win7, with other drives, too (one could be for OS X). We'll see. Not essential that any of this necessarily happen, or happen on any particular schedule.

Thanks again for your help.

Scott

Is anyone else getting some kind of speed problem? For me, the clock keeps running too fast, sound is becoming distorted and movie files are playing way to fast (in VLC).

I'm running an i5, with 10.6.2. I've also disabled SpeedStep but this didn't do anything.

Any ideas?

This 'System too Fast' issue is common with P55 boards. You need either Chameleon RC4 or a modified previous version- I compiled a P55 compatible version of netkas' PC-EFI 10.5 on the site in my signature. Hope this helps! :angel:

• 3 weeks later...
Hi everyone,

I just wanted to know if someone managed to build a system with a fanless videocard on the p7p55d

thanks in advance

ASU-90-C1CKDA-J0UAN0KZ

EN8400GS Silent/P/512M PCIE 2.0 / 512 MB DDR2 64bit 800MHz / G86 567MHz / DX10 / HDCP / VGA+DVI / passive

ASU_90_C1CKDA_J0UAN0KZ_EN8400GS_P_Silent_DS_E.pdf

Hey thanks dgeordgy

will try it

ASU-90-C1CKDA-J0UAN0KZ

EN8400GS Silent/P/512M PCIE 2.0 / 512 MB DDR2 64bit 800MHz / G86 567MHz / DX10 / HDCP / VGA+DVI / passive

By the way does someone here have this card in his/her system with the p7p55d and do I have to do something in particular in prior to install Snowleopard?

hi, my system shows me (under about this mac) 32bit support only.

Is there any chance to start and change on 64bit?

I tried already 32- or 64bit kernel startup mode selector, nothing.

I was reading that 64bit is not possible?

My system: p7p55d, i5-750, nvidia gts250, 4 bg ram.

Me: beginner from windows world. :2cents:

thx

Hi jpsaf,

would really like to help you on this one but me too I'm from the pc world. I'm taking the plunge tomorrow and will try an install. I'm going this route :

http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2009/12/ins...ectly-from.html

good nigth

hi, my system shows me (under about this mac) 32bit support only.

Is there any chance to start and change on 64bit?

I tried already 32- or 64bit kernel startup mode selector, nothing.

I was reading that 64bit is not possible?

My system: p7p55d, i5-750, nvidia gts250, 4 bg ram.

Me: beginner from windows world. :(

thx

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
Try to this kext. It solves the sound problem without unplug power cable. It works fine with 10.6.3 too.

Okay, thank you i will try this, its very hard to replug the power unit after every restart from windows 7 to mac os.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Don't know if you got an answer to this or not, but, here's my experience. I built a hackintosh with a P7P55D board and an i5-750 chipset. I used [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] and [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] to install. No problems. In fact, I didn't even have to do any patchwork. However, that was my experience. Did you ever get your Asus board to work for you?

buck

I have been looking around for a good motherboard for a i5 750, I plan on over clocking it just a little bit and found a awesome motherboard that will allow me to do this with ease. ASUS P7P55D Deluxe, looks like a awesome motherboard is anyone using this main board in snowleopard or leopard?

Also is there a list of approved i5/i7 mainboards that work with snow leopard. If there is not I think that would be a awesome addition to the forum.

If you have any suggestions on other i5 core motherboards that have great compatibility with snow leopard that would be great.

-wadeo

By the way, I installed SL 10.6 without the use of another Mac. I downloaded [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url], [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url], and the 10.6.4 Update. I followed the instructions on tonymac's website and it installed without a hitch. In fact, I got the "installed successfully" screen. I've been using it ever since. However, I updated to 10.6.5 and it wouldn't reboot, so I re-installed 10.6.4. I have also since set up my own time machine with an external drive to backup the data.

By the way, I installed SL 10.6 without the use of another Mac. I downloaded [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url], [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url], and the 10.6.4 Update. I followed the instructions on tonymac's website and it installed without a hitch. In fact, I got the "installed successfully" screen. I've been using it ever since. However, I updated to 10.6.5 and it wouldn't reboot, so I re-installed 10.6.4. I have also since set up my own time machine with an external drive to backup the data.

Dear unklbuck

You probably ignore that the processor i serie was unsupported by snowleopard at the beginning! My tutorial was one solution to install the P7P55d!

Today, my i7 is supported and it's easy to install!

• 2 weeks later...