What is the best Sound card for a Hackintosh? (PCI)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Leo Woods

Leo Woods

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi

I need a PCI sound card as i can not get my RealTek AC'97 to work so i need a new PCI Sound card What is the best one to get?

I have looked at M-Audio but i can not seem to find one for my Price range (£0 - £100 [GBP])

Running Mac OS X 10.5.2 Leopard
2.8GHz Intel Pentium 4 Celeron D
256MB nVidia FX 5500
1.5GB DDR2 RAM
300GB HDD

Advent T9100

Leo

narosis

narosis

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:Computers, Technology, Music, Sci-Fi

Now this is disappointing, how many years have passed since the OP posted his query? I was hoping to find an answer to this query as i used my now dead MBP for multimedia production and was hoping to do the same with my mackintosh...

Maniac10

Maniac10

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts

In the wiki there's a few listed for 10.6 but no idea if they work with newer revisions.

Gringo Vermelho

Gringo Vermelho

The Jan Bird fix

• Supervisors
  • 6,045 posts

It's important to consider a couple of things:

Intel Mac Pro's don't have PCI slots, they have PCI-Express slots. Macs that aren't Mac Pro's (and the new "institutional ashtray" Mac Pro) don't have any slots at all.

This means that PCI-E sound cards for Mac will soon be completely obsolete and receive no more driver updates.

It also means that they are expensive because the clientele are Mac Pro owners, which means people with lots of cash to spend on a sound card. Most likely they work at a recording studio.

In other words, the original poster's question had some merit back in 2009 but in 2014 it doesn't.

I recommend looking at external USB or Firewire sound cards that supports OS X - they will work with any type of Intel Mac (or Hack) and are not targeted solely at audio professionals (no, DJs don't count!).

Focusrite makes some really nice, great sounding and affordable outboard gear, although they are a bit slow to get their drivers out the door.

The Mavericks driver for my Saffire 6 interface finally surfaced in December - the first developer preview of Mavericks was released in June!

how many years have passed since the OP posted his query?

If you can't tell by looking at the post date you have bigger problems. :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy