436 replies to this topic

Mikux

Mikux

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts
Hi,

I was wondering if you add the 2go ram Sodimm?
Because I tryed and unfortunately the 2go ram sodimm 667 DDR 5300 non ECC CL4 from kingston (and from crucial) was creating a non detection of my keyboard and mouse.

I was wondering which ram trademark I should use.

if anyone knows
cheers
M

Hello all. First post here. Just wanted to thank everyone, esp the OP, for the great info.

This guide worked perfectly for the eee 1000 model I bought off Craigslist for $150. The 1000 model has two ssds instead of a hard drive. One 8 gb and one 32 gb.

I modded my install a bit to use the ssds efficiently. Snow Leopard needed a bit of trimming to fit within the 8 gb ssd, I did the install with no extra languages or printer drivers, etc. I also deleted the sleep image, and the install ended up being sub 5 GB. This leaves enough space for the caches and whatnot. The user folders are all located on the 32 GB ssd, an easy tweak using the Advanced Options in Account prefs.

Hibernation and Spotlight indexing were disabled to avoid unnecessary wear on the ssds and I don't need either feature on the netbook anyway. Also shutting off hibernation is what allowed me to delete the 1+ GB sleep image and make the install work on the 8 gig.

It's running 10.6.1 right now. Everything works, but I will be grabbing a Broadcom card out of the parts bin at work to replace the Ralink. I will also be doing the obligatory 2 GB ram upgrade. I noticed that SL runs noticeably faster than the original Linux that came on it. Good job Apple!

So if anyone gets a chance at the eee PC 1000 model, snag it up. Works really well.

Daniel Wachter

Daniel Wachter

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
hi together

i was wondering if i'm the only one with such big problems with the wifi?
in my 1000he the atheros wifi is installed, every third boot my wifi doesn't discover my home wifi.
(encryption with wpa2)

while my iphone and my macbook pro finds the wifi everytime, my 1000he doesn't find it.
(i have to reboot with wifi deactivated in bios and reboot again with wifi activated to get it work again...)

with ubuntu i have similar problem, but the problem only happens every 10th boot.
i already swapped the atheros card against the Broadcom BCM94311, but the problem was still the same and the connection was very slow on the ubuntu...

could my problems be related to my installed bios? i have installed the latest one (1104)
thanks for any help

@MoonDogg
Thanks for the great guid, beside the wifi everything works like a charm!
:thumbsup_anim:

jon_meadowbrook

jon_meadowbrook

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
This was an absolutely amazing tutorial! Thank you so much! I now have OSX 10.6.1 running just fine on my 1000HE with 2 gb of ram. The driver for 10.6 from RAlink works great with my netbook!

I do have 2 questions, are there any updates to help slow down the cursor / trackpad / touchpad? I am hoping I can get that just a touch less sensitive.

Has anyone seen this VIDEO? It shows someone's 1000HE with the function keys for volume mapped to Control+F10/F11/F12. Do you have a link on how I can set this up on my machine? I've been googling for a while and have found the raw scripts that allow this, but I don't know what to do with them.

Also, is it possible to enable horizontal scrolling? If I deactivate the "touch" settings for the trackpad, it still works (not a problem since I use it) but the option for Horizontal Scrolling does not add it.

Thanks again for all the incredible work! I am so thankful for my little Netbook. I'm definitely loving this over a iPad!

coppertopjsq

coppertopjsq

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I bought a 10.6.3 disk before I read this guide (stupid, I know) and I'm wondering if there is any way to get it to work. On a website from the NetbookInstaller Dev he claims that the latest version works with 10.6.3. Does anyone have any advice they can offer besides that I just wasted $30?
Thanks.

fmillion

fmillion

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

I bought a 10.6.3 disk before I read this guide (stupid, I know) and I'm wondering if there is any way to get it to work. On a website from the NetbookInstaller Dev he claims that the latest version works with 10.6.3. Does anyone have any advice they can offer besides that I just wasted $30?
Thanks.

You can use a 10.6.3 retail DVD to install.

I can't recall if this particular guide uses this method, but there are guides allowing you to create a bootable USB installation media. You need at least an 8GB flash drive. The jist of it is that you first partition your USB drive to GPT/Mac OS Extended, then you Restore your OSX DVD onto the volume that was created.

Now run NetbookInstaller on the USB drive to make it bootable.

Then you need to get a patched Atom-compatible kernel for 10.6.3: http://www.insanelym...p...197020&st=0

Make sure you grab the kernel 10.3.0, since this is the kernel that matches OS 10.6.3, which is what your DVD will be installing. Using the Terminal, replace the mach_kernel file on the newly-created USB media with the one you downloaded. If you don't know how to do this using the Terminal, let me know and I'll try to guide you here.

After that you should be able to boot and install OSX from that USB drive directly onto your Eee PC. Afterwards you wil still need to replace the kernel on the newly installed volume. Someone, please remind me where OSX mounts the destination partition during install!! But again, you do this using the terminal. Afterwards, you can boot using the USB drive again but select your newly installed installation, and it will boot up - after that just run NetbookMaker again on the hard drive and you're good to go.

As far as I know this only works if you're doing a full-disk install and repartitioning to GPT.

I'm also working on a guide on how to roll your own OSX install CD that is bootable directly on a PC (similar to the "distros") and also contains the necessary scripts/mods to install the kernel for you. Will be posting it on this forum once it's ready.

FM

coppertopjsq

coppertopjsq

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for the reply. I was able to find a copy of 10.6 and install without having to mess with 10.6.3. Now I just have to find time to read up on updating to 10.6.5 and also installing W7 on the other partition.
Thanks for helping out the beginners!

written on my hackintosh

eeetouch1113

eeetouch1113

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

This guide will cover installing Snow Leopard on an Asus EeePC 1000HE

UPDATE 11/17/2009 Files updated for 10.6.2

I have updated the guide with new files.. If you already have 10.6.1 installed here is what you need to do to install 10.6.2.

1. Install the latest netbookinstaller.app.
2. Update your extensions.mkext in the extra's folder.
3. Update to 10.6.2
4. Enjoy

You can read more about the kernel patch here. http://teateam.blogspot.com/

If you would like to read this post in chinese it has been translated by: mozartsql

http://bbs.pcbeta.co...604596-1-1.html

I have tested this on a US version 1000HE with 2 GB RAM and stock wifi card.
So far I have everything but the wired ethernet working. This is now fully working with no major issues. Any suggestions, additions, or comments about this guide is welcome. Feel free to take my files and modify your installation in anyway. I can always add new ways to the guide. This is just how I did it and it's working pretty good.

What you will need.

• Working computer (PC or Mac) that runs OS X 10.5+
  • Retail Snow Leopard Disk or Image
  • Ability to connect your boot drive to the working computer via USB or an extra USB drive you can format.
  • Files that will be provided in this guide.
  • Asus EeePC 1000HE

Installation Steps:

• Connect drive via USB to computer and format drive. GUID with one partition.
  • Install OS X from image or disk.
    • 1. Mount image or insert disk.
    • 2. Finder -> Go Menu -> Go To Folder
    • 3. Enter this location: /Volumes/Mac OS X Install DVD/System/Installation/Packages
    • 4. Open (double click) OSInstall.mpkg
    I removed printers and other things not needed you can customize it how you want.
  • After OS X install complete Run NetbookInstaller.app selecting the drive you just install OS X to only install general extensions and Chameleon 2.0 RC3. It will tell you your on an unsported computer just click ok. ( use the latest version. 0.8.3 RC4 has 10.6.2 support )
  • Copy this extensions.mkext to the Extra's folder of the OS X drive and let it overwrite all files. I have updated this with voodoohda.kext that works with the voodoohda.prefpane that you will need to get the mic working. I have also updated this with the OpenHaltRestart.kext that is needed to get shutdown's restarts and wifi and BT to work after sleep. Thanks jojitsu. This is the one for 10.6 - 10.6.1 you will need the one at the top of the guide for 10.6.2. Do not use that one until you are installing 10.6.2 or you will get a kernel panic on startup.
  • At this point you can connect the usb drive to your EeePC and boot it. Either put it in the computer or use the usb and press F2 at boot up to select your boot device. Most everything will work at this point there is just a view tweaks left.

Post Installation Steps:

In no particular order install these files.
IOBluetoothfamily.kext
VoodooHDA.prefpane
AttansicL1eEthernet.kext

Bluetooth will work on first boot but you may have problems turning the radio on and off. To fix that install the kext above. You can do this with either kexthelper or just copy it over the orginal and then run kext utility. Both tools are here. After installing this you will have to restart to see the results. After updating to 10.6.1 you will have to reinstall this file... this may happen after every future upgrade.

Ethernet will not work until you install the kext above. Use kexthelper then kext utility and then restart.

To install the VoodooHDA.prefpane just unzip and run file it will install in System Preferences. You can use this to tweek your audio settings including getting the mic to work. To make the mic work just make sure that the mic levels are something other than zero and the mic will work.

At this point you will have a fully working 1000HE with OS X 10.6. BTW you can use apple updates to install 10.6.1 with no issues. UPDATE: See above you will have the reload the modify kext for BT again.

Things that may need to be tweaked:

• Wired Ethernet. Well it just don��â�‚�šï¿½ï¿½â�‚�žï¿½t seem to work. It does show up in System Profiler as this :

pci168c,2a:

Type: Other Network Controller
    Bus: PCI
    Vendor ID: 0x168c
    Device ID: 0x002a
    Subsystem Vendor ID: 0x1a3b
    Subsystem ID: 0x1067
    Revision ID: 0x0001
    Link Width: x1

But it does not show up in System Profiler. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Update: This has been fixed thanks to azn1art for pointing me in the right direction... Get kext here. I will update the extra's folder later and upload that so you won't have to install this kext separate.

Update: Kext does not work correctly unless in S/L/E so it will have to be installed separately.
  • After wake up from sleep wifi and Bluetooth seem not to connect. Don't know if that is just a issue I am having let me know what your experiences are. UPDATE: Thanks to jojitsu this is now working flawlessly.. read his post on page 2.

Last but not least I would like to thank some other people that helped out with this guide even if they did not know it. mk500 for the guide for the 901 that help me find dmbardal's post that had the other files I needed to get this working.

I installed Mac os x on my Asus Eee t101mt over the weekend. I wasn't able to use the netbookinstaller app to generate the dsdt files though. I was wondering if anyone knew of somewhere to get them. I don't have wifi, ethernet, or sound working yet and was hoping the dsdt files might help.

Thanks in advance

eeetouch1113

eeetouch1113

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
An update. I have sound working. I still can't get ethernet, wifi or touch to work (I don't really care about touch.) If anyone has some advise that would be great.

manmal

manmal

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts
Hi, has anyone a solution for patched AppleHDA kext instead of voodooBattery for this great netbook?
Which codec has it got ?
Thanks!
Mal

jon_meadowbrook

jon_meadowbrook

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Are there any updates on why the sound is so quiet? I am getting ready to install OSX on a second 1000HE and the audio coming out of this machine while running the default XP is incredible compared to the near useless audio once OSX is installed.

Also, why can't the trackpads sensitivity be dialed down? It is so sensitive!!!!

Any suggestions???

jon_meadowbrook

jon_meadowbrook

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Has anyone had success updating to 10.6.3 or higher? I would like to update but each time I am getting kernel panics after following A BUNCH of different guides...and I can't figure out how to boot into safe mode. Everytime I hold shift or tab, I do not get a command line...

GatorsUF

GatorsUF

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I would love to install OSX on my 1000he but I have lots of questions. First of which is...Will this tutorial allow me to use wifi with the stock wifi card? My next question is how big must my thumb drive to that I would boot from to install it? How do I get the files off the CD onto the thumb drive? Drag and drop? In mac or windows?

stereo068

stereo068

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Has anyone had success updating to 10.6.3 or higher? I would like to update but each time I am getting kernel panics after following A BUNCH of different guides...and I can't figure out how to boot into safe mode. Everytime I hold shift or tab, I do not get a command line...

I updated from 10.6.3 to 10.6.5 had to hard shutdown when it got stuck on the reboot but works fine except my wireless Ralink 2860 card keeps disconnecting on me..

Marius M.

Marius M.

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts
updated guide for 10.6.6 ?

gogogoo

gogogoo

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

updated guide for 10.6.6 ?

Looking for 10.6.6 guide as well.

Mastermind278

Mastermind278

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
I was able to install 10.6.6 but lost proper working sleep and my webcam.

I made a backup of my mach_kernel and my extensions folder.

I installed the 10.6.6 combo update on my 10.6.0 system.

I then did NOT REBOOT, I restored by mach_kernel. Then I rebooted.

At that point I had lost my WiFi (not sure if it was from the random sometimes doesn't work). I reinstalled IO80211Family.kext, AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext, AppleIntelGMA950.kext and VoodooHDA.kext.

Now most everything is working, except for my webcam and sleep. Hopefully someone can help! :-)

Mastermind278

Mastermind278

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

I was able to install 10.6.6 but lost proper working sleep and my webcam.

I made a backup of my mach_kernel and my extensions folder.

I installed the 10.6.6 combo update on my 10.6.0 system.

I then did NOT REBOOT, I restored by mach_kernel. Then I rebooted.

At that point I had lost my WiFi (not sure if it was from the random sometimes doesn't work). I reinstalled IO80211Family.kext, AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext, AppleIntelGMA950.kext and VoodooHDA.kext.

Now most everything is working, except for my webcam and sleep. Hopefully someone can help! :-)

USB also seems to have stopped working. Hopefully someone can help.

J.Picard

J.Picard

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
Is there a solution for 10.6.6 ?

I think it's the same problem i had with my inspiron 6400. After the combo update, there is a change in the structure.
Which kext is for the cam and which one for sleep.

Did you use Sleepenabler? Which version?
pmversion=22 ?
or the version without?

I tried to update my system from 10.6.4 to 10.6.5 and 10.6.6 and changed the mach_kernel to the patched one. But it still ends with a kernel panic.

My installation is based upon the following description:
http://www.bikingbri...s-eeepc-1000he/

My update to 10.6.4 was with this description successful without changing the kernel.
Only the Input Gain in VoodooHDA was too high, so i had a very noise background.
I patched the kext in Extra folder with the key
iGAin

So what should i do, to update to 10.6.6 without a kernel panic?

And how can i change the sensistivity of the touchpad?

schumi1331

schumi1331

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
I'm reading this guide and want to try out with my 1000HE...

But I have one question, for which I couldn't find any answer: "Retail" means the version for 29 €/$ or the full pack for 125€/$ ?

MoonDogg

MoonDogg

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

I'm reading this guide and want to try out with my 1000HE...

But I have one question, for which I couldn't find any answer: "Retail" means the version for 29 €/$ or the full pack for 125€/$ ?

retail just means unaltered... meaning the one you buy from apple does not matter what you paid for it. or even if you did not pay for it.... just the one that is unaltered from apple.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy