• Please log in to reply
436 replies to this topic

Little MacEEE

Little MacEEE

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi guys, I'm new here. Just three weeks ago my 1000he arrived, bought with every intention of putting mac os x onto it. I have been successful! The only thing that is failing is sleep—it works (usually) if I quit all applications and wait patiently for the hard drive light to stop flickering. Sometimes it even works if I have applications running, but it's far from reliable and is prone to kernel panic. HOWEVER, restart, shut down, bluetooth, ethernet, AND wireless are all working flawlessly, with the exception of wireless which sometimes fails (I'll click a link and it will say "loading" but no new page will load) and all I have to do is switch the connection in Ralink Wireless Utility off and on quickly and it pops right back.

I'm far from experienced in computing. So for the sake of others like myself, I'd like to list the steps I took to get to where I am right now for those who might be less savvy that the writer of this thread, and I may be able to solve some problems with the process. I don't mean to steal the hard work of others who have posted on this thread and solved most of my issues for me.

So, I used an Asus EeePC 1000he with 1gb of ram (what it came with) and I'd like to quickly postulate that my sleep issue comes from a potential lack of memory.

Here's a list of everything I used. Unlike the actual guide, I did not use a flash drive.
-Asus EeePc 1000he
-Native iMac with Snow Leopard (any native mac will do)
-Western Digital Scorpio Black 250GB 7200 RPM 2.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Internal Notebook Hard Drive -Bare Drive
-Wiebetech DriveDock V4 Series (which connects the above HD directly to your native mac via USB)
-Retail Snow Leopard DVD

1) Connect the blank HD via DriveDock to the native Mac.

2) Open Disk Utility:
- Select the blank drive
- Go to the "Partition" tab and select "1 Partition"
- Click "Options..." and make sure you have GUID selected
- (optional) I named the disk something that I would easily be able to tell apart from my Native Mac disk, "Mac EEE"
- Click "Apply" and wait for the process to be completed
- Close Disk Utility

3) Install OS X onto the drive:
- Insert your retail Snow Leopard DVD
- In Finder, click the "Go" menu and select "Go to folder..."
- Copy and paste "/Volumes/Mac OS X Install DVD/System/Installation/Packages" without the quotes into the box and click "Go"
- Open "OSInstall.mpkg"
- Do a regular install; make sure to select the recently partitioned drive. For me, this took about 30 minutes to completely install. Go watch an episode of Venture Bros. Do NOT dismount the drive once the install completes.

4) Now for some other installs:
- Download NetbookInstaller 0.8.3, NOT 0.8.4 or beyond from this link: NetbookInstaller
- Unzip the download if it hasn't been unzipped for you and open the application NetbookInstaller 0.8.3
- Ignore the message that tells you you're on an unsupported device and select the hard drive onto which you just installed OS X
- Uncheck EVERYTHING except Chameleon and General Extensions, double check you've selected the right drive, and then hit install.
- Once the install is completed, download this file: extensions.mkext
- Go to Finder and then the "Go" menu, select "Go to Folder..."
- Enter the following without quotes: "/Volumes/NAME OF YOUR DRIVE/Extra"
Just to clarify, when I partitioned my drive, I named it "Mac EEE". So this paste for me would be "/Volumes/Mac EEE/Extra" without the quotes. This folder is hidden and therefore you cannot navigate to it normally.
- In the folder, you'll see a file named "extensions.mkext". Take the file you just downloaded, named exactly the same thing, and drag it into this window to overwrite this file.

5) And now for some downloads:
- Download the following files:
voodoohda.prefpane
10.6.1 Combo Update
IOBluetoothFamily.kext
AttansicL1eEthernet.kext
Kext Helper and Kext Utility
Ralink WiFi Driver (select "PCI/mPCI/CB(RT2860/RT2790/RT309x) V1.2.2.0", enter Bob and Bobmarley@yahoo.com if you don't want to give them your name)
IOATAfamily.kext
- Navigate to the Applications folder on the drive where you just installed OS X.
- Create a folder called "Temporary"
- Drag everything you just downloaded in this step to the new folder "Temporary"

6) Great! You're most of the way there. Now dismount the new Mac OS X drive!

7) Using a screw driver of the right size, open the large panel in the back of your Asus EeePC 1000he. It may resist, but don't worry, gently pull it out.
- Remove the casing that holds the original hard drive with XP down and pull horizontally the hard drive out of its spot. You need to remove the extra casing surrounding the drive. These screws can be troublesome.
- Place the Mac OS X drive into the casing, ensuring that the SATA connector will be able to connect properly to the computer; orient it right in the casing.
- Replace your new HD back into its little hole and gently slide it into its SATA port (probably improper terminology, sorry guys). Screw it back into place, replace the metal cover just as you found it, and snap the large black cover back on. Don't forget to screw that in too!

8) Press the power button.
- Be patient, it's got a lot to load
- The Mac intro screen should pop up. Select your country and whatnot. Fill out what you want, just make sure you'll remember the password you choose.
- Once mac has booted, you need to install some kexts. Everything you need is located in the folder "Temporary" that you created in the Applications folder. In "Temporary", open the Kext_Uti_Helper folder and double click on "Kext Helper". Drag "IOBluetoothfamily.kext" and "AttansicL1eEthernet.kext" into the bigger box in the Kext Helper window. Enter your password in the little box and then click "Easy Install".
- When that's done, quit Kext Helper and open the "Kext Utility" application (which may take a while to open), enter your password, and run it. This process took over five minutes for me, so don't fret if it takes a while.
- Restart your computer.

9) Update to 10.6.1
- Open the "MacOSXUpd10.6.1.dmg" in the "Temporary Folder" once your computer is booted and has a moment to breathe (wait until the hard drive light is off).
- Open the update .pkg when it's mounted. Run the combo update. It's fairly straightforward.
- I can't remember if it asks you to reboot. Never-the-less, reboot.
- Now you'll have to install a new kext and REinstall some old. If you plan to upgrade your new mac past 10.6.1, you will need to reinstall these 3 kexts every time you upgrade. My guide only takes you to 10.6.1.

10) Nearly there; some final touches to make everything work:
- Open Kext Helper in the "Kext_Uti_Helper" folder in your "Temporary" folder and drag the following kexts into the window:
"IOBluetoothfamily.kext"
"AttansicL1eEthernet.kext"
"IOATAfamily.kext"
- Enter your password, and press "Easy Install".
- When it's done, quit Kext Helper and open "Kext Utility" again. Enter your password and run it.
- Now you need to reboot again, but this time, as soon as the screen turns black after you've hit the reboot button, start tapping F2. Keep tapping until the very blue BIOS screen comes up.
- Use the right arrow key to move to the "Boot" tab
- Use the down arrow to navigate to "Boot Settings Configuration" and hit Enter.
- Hit Enter over "Quick Boot" and change it to disabled via the down arrow and Enter. Do the same for "Quiet Boot".
- Hit escape. Arrow down to "Boot Booster", hit enter, and change it to disabled as well. Now hit F10 and select "Ok".

11) Final Step: Wireless
- Once your computer is completely booted, Navigate to the "Temporary" folder in Applications and double click on "STA_RT2860 D-1.2.2.0 UI-3.0.0.0_2010_05_18.dmg"
- Once the image has mounted, open the "10.5" folder and double click the "Install" pkg (as opposed to the Uninstall).
- It will warn you that you "may" need to configure some things in the Network section of System Preferences, and that's fine. Continue through and install the drive. This did not work the first time for me. A message that said the installer was unable to use a particular kext file came up near the end of the install, which prevented my wireless from working. What I did, which seemed to work, was I uninstalled the driver and reinstalled it twice more, and the third time, though the install took long, it didn't complain about the kext file.
- Reboot, even if a message comes up saying that a new wireless interface was detected.

Open System Preferences and go to Network. There should be two interfaces there. If the Wireless Utility application now located in your Applications folder didn't automatically open up at start up, go to your applications folder and open it now. It should open to the "Site Survey" screen, and the thin box way at the bottom should change from "No Device!!" to "Disconnected." If it says "No Device!!" after a minute, then try rebooting and hitting F2 to go to the BIOS and change Boot Booster from disabled to Enabled. If -that- doesn't work, turn Boot Booster back off and try again.

And there you have it! I haven't had a single Kernel Panic, save when I try to sleep. I've done some experimenting and decided that, at least the way I've done things, there's a tradeoff. I either get sleep working reliably, or wireless working reliably.

Thanks and most credit goes to MoonDogg for making the basis of this guide! I'd be interested in any light someone might be able to shed on my sleep issue, but I'm content because shut down takes all of 2 seconds.

So I followed this guide quite closely, and I made it to 10.6.4 just fine. Everything is up and running, except wifi. It occasionally finds networks, but when I enter my password (and before you ask, yes it's the right password, I'm positive) it briefly tries to connect, then says, "Connection timeout." The network has WPA security. I'm about to throw all my hard work against the wall.

My 1000HE has the Atheros 9280, as indicated by About This Mac..., it's enabled in BIOS, I've tried going into BIOS and disabling/enabling it, and I've turned off Quick Boot. I used will1384's DSDT table and com.apple.Boot.plist and everything on the computer is working flawlessly, including Ethernet, sound and all. (Though I didn't install Bluetooth because I never use it).

Please, somebody help me. I've done the installation twice already and I just don't know what to do. Wireless worked in both Windows XP and Ubuntu. I got the hard part done! I upgraded to 10.6.4 with no kernel panics! Why won't my wifi work with the one card it's supposed to work with?!

Just to clarify, have you also disabled Boot Booster? I think mine is using a different wireless card so I can't help much beyond that.

From the One reply I got from my earlier post it appears dual booting on the HE has not been worked out and you have to convert to an os x only machine?

Dual booting has been successful using SuperDuper. There are other guides that are better for that.
Try here. It's not for the 1000he, but should still work. Just make sure to check your hardware.

winterfresh_xrt

winterfresh_xrt

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I took another shot at trying to set up dual booting win7 and os x and I was successful.

In OS X, I added 2 more partitions via disk utility. One of them is just a chunk of storage for sharing files between OS X and Win7 and the other is the Win7 partition. Both is set to MS DOS partition format. Remember to name your partitions so you don't reformat the wrong one when installing Win7.

I rebooted and ran the Win7 DVD and reformatted the Win7 partition to NTFS. There should be several entries listed including the OS X partition (partition 2), a 200MB partition (partition 1), 128MB unallocated space, storage (partition 3) and Win7 (partition 4). It may be different on other users but that's what I saw on my list. After reformatting the Win7 partition to NTFS, I installed Win7 on it.

After installing Win7, the windows bootloader takes precedence. In an attempt to get chameleon bootloader (or darwin, I still don't know the difference) to regain control, I rebooted via OS X install USB flash drive and reinstalled netbookinstaller for 10.6.4 and updated the extensions. It didn't work. Win7 bootloader still takes precedence. I don't think reinstalling netbookinstaller matters but I did it anyway just to be sure.

As a test, I rebooted into the Win7 DVD and ran diskpart in command prompt via the recovery option. Note that the recovery console is able to find the Windows installation. In diskpart I selected the OS X partition which should be partition 1 and made it active. I reboot and Chameleon bootloader regained control and is able to boot into OS X.

I rebooted back into the Win7 DVD to set the Win7 partition to active but I changed my mind and changed it back to OS X because I forgot something. When I made the OS X partition active, I saw the Win7 and storage entries on Chameleon but didn't attempt to boot them. This time I went back and tested those entries. I was able to boot into Win7 via Chameleon. I thought it would take more steps but I was finished.

So in a nutshell,
- Add MS DOS partition via disk utility in OS X
- Install Win7 on that partition after reformatting to NTFS during setup
- Reboot into OS X via USB installation flash drive and reinstall netbookinstaller for 10.6.4 (don't know if this step is required)
- Reboot into Win7 DVD recovery console, ran diskpart and set OS X partition 1 to active

Other issues, I still don't know if VGA output works. My old 640 crt doesn't show anything but OS X does see it. The few times I used the ralink wireless, it stalled when I was using the browser. Sleep and shutdown still doesn't work 100%. I also noticed my battery icon is not working correctly so I used voodoobattery to fix it.

ajm422

ajm422

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello everyone, I'm still wallowing in my no-wifi woes. I succeeded in updating the BIOS to version 1104 and still no luck, even after I reinstalled Snow Leopard for the 3rd time. Some thoughts:

-I am using a 10.6.3 DVD. Could this be the problem? I'm using the newest NBI available from Meklort's website (http://www.meklort.com/?p=262).
-The wifi did work for a very brief time - the very first time I ever booted from the SL USB drive and the 1000HE's HDD hadn't yet been partitioned. At that time, I still had the option of turning off Boot Booster, which I understand is not related to the BIOS as much as it's related to the recovery partition that comes on the 1000HE along with Windows XP. After I partitioned the entire drive and installed SL (and subsequently lost wifi), the Boot Booster option went away; all I have now is Quick Boot and Quiet Boot. These are both disabled, btw.
-I took the battery out and the wireless module sticker says: "AW-NE771" which, as far as I've read, is the supported card for this computer. Like I said before, under About This Mac... the installed wireless card is Atheros 9280. I'm really at my wit's end about this.

In the meantime, I'm going to make an Ubuntu live drive and boot from that to see if the wifi card works with Ubuntu (it did when I booted into Ubuntu with my intact Windows XP install). This could possibly indicate whether my particular wifi functionality is tied to that recovery partition from the original install. Is there anyone out there with similar problems? Any input?

Thanks in advance!

winterfresh_xrt

winterfresh_xrt

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Hello everyone, I'm still wallowing in my no-wifi woes. I succeeded in updating the BIOS to version 1104 and still no luck, even after I reinstalled Snow Leopard for the 3rd time. Some thoughts:

-I am using a 10.6.3 DVD. Could this be the problem? I'm using the newest NBI available from Meklort's website (http://www.meklort.com/?p=262).
-The wifi did work for a very brief time - the very first time I ever booted from the SL USB drive and the 1000HE's HDD hadn't yet been partitioned. At that time, I still had the option of turning off Boot Booster, which I understand is not related to the BIOS as much as it's related to the recovery partition that comes on the 1000HE along with Windows XP. After I partitioned the entire drive and installed SL (and subsequently lost wifi), the Boot Booster option went away; all I have now is Quick Boot and Quiet Boot. These are both disabled, btw.
-I took the battery out and the wireless module sticker says: "AW-NE771" which, as far as I've read, is the supported card for this computer. Like I said before, under About This Mac... the installed wireless card is Atheros 9280. I'm really at my wit's end about this.

In the meantime, I'm going to make an Ubuntu live drive and boot from that to see if the wifi card works with Ubuntu (it did when I booted into Ubuntu with my intact Windows XP install). This could possibly indicate whether my particular wifi functionality is tied to that recovery partition from the original install. Is there anyone out there with similar problems? Any input?

Thanks in advance!

I don't have the the same wireless module but from a short google session, I haven't turned up any positive results. From a few forum threads, someone claimed to have it working out of box from just installing snow leopard and the latest Chameleon which both was posted before 2010. From several guides, the atheros 9280 is supposed to work out of box and the ralink is the one that requires additional kext installation. If it was me, I would try aiming for 10.6.4 since you're so close to it and you're already using netbookinstaller for 10.6.4. You might also want to look into other kext dependency. Whatever kext that drives the wireless could depend on other kexts to function. There is also a project of porting the atheros drivers to os x but I can't find it anymore.

cfarivar

cfarivar

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I've got a factory 10.6.3 SL disc and followed the instructs above, but instead used a USB stick. When I go to boot my 1000HE off of the USB stick, I get a kernel panic straightaway and don't know what to do from here.

Any suggestions?

Does installing of the drive in an enclosure (as suggested above) really make that much difference?

winterfresh_xrt

winterfresh_xrt

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

I've got a factory 10.6.3 SL disc and followed the instructs above, but instead used a USB stick. When I go to boot my 1000HE off of the USB stick, I get a kernel panic straightaway and don't know what to do from here.

Any suggestions?

Does installing of the drive in an enclosure (as suggested above) really make that much difference?

There's no significant difference between the hdd and the usb stick method. Some say the usb method is a much cleaner install as opposed to installing onto the hdd via osxinstall.mpkg. When using the usb flash drive, you'll need to restore the os x image onto it and then install netbookbootmaker onto it so you can boot and install OS X on the netbook. When you boot into it you can just install OS X from there and install netbookinstaller to make the install bootable without the flash drive. Note that netbookbootmaker and netbookinstaller are two different things.

bartlettpsj

bartlettpsj

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Just grab the latest VoodooBattery.kext and install using Kext Utility. Google is your friend. You will find the the Voodoo project at http://forum.voodooprojects.org/

so annoying.. shutdown, battery meter does not work no matter what i try. I upgraded to 10.6.2 with no worries..
battery was working before i tried fixing some sleep issues without backing up my kexts..
now i am sure that my kexts were overwritten with the wrong ones, or something like that..

could someone at least post a list of all kexts inside system/library/extensions so I can compare ?

Perhaps using ls -al so i can see the modifications and sizes..

ls -al > file.txt

will automatically do the needful and copy everything to file.txt that can be posted here.

I am using NBI rc4 w/ the extensions.kext on the first post. not bothered about bt or ethernet at this time..

please post nbi version and SL version as well i.e. 10.6 or 10.6.1 or 10.6.2 etc

skykool

skykool

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I have a 1000he with 1 GB RAM and a Ralink wireless card. I used MoonDogg's method to install to a flash drive, then copied that to the hard drive with Super Duper. I have three issues:
  • Installing Chameleon to the hard drive seems to have deleted the Windows bootloader.
  • When I boot from the Chameleon on the hard drive, my wifi doesn't work. It works fine if I boot the USB instead and then select the hard drive.
  • Ethernet isn't working. In System Preferences, it says "Cable is unplugged". am using the kext from the instructions.

Any ideas how to solve these?

esstallion

esstallion

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi, I would like to thank all the people who workd hard on this, i just got mine done yesterday. I just cloned my macbook hard drive and ran netbook installer. I added the sound kext and now i have sound. But when i tried the ethernet kext i get a panic at start up. and when i close my lid it will not turn the display back on, I also tried to install the bluetooth kext and got panic. Any help would be much welcomed. Thanks Chris. OS X 10.6.4

skykool

skykool

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Hi, I would like to thank all the people who workd hard on this, i just got mine done yesterday. I just cloned my macbook hard drive and ran netbook installer. I added the sound kext and now i have sound. But when i tried the ethernet kext i get a panic at start up. and when i close my lid it will not turn the display back on, I also tried to install the bluetooth kext and got panic. Any help would be much welcomed. Thanks Chris. OS X 10.6.4

Try booting with -f.

MoonDogg

MoonDogg

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
Anyone interested in a near perfect 1000HE? I am selling mine. I will put what ever OS you want on it and ship it to you. Best Offer. I have had Win XP, Win 7, Linux, and OS X all on this PC before. So what every you want just let me know.

iciolozzo

iciolozzo

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Anyone interested in a near perfect 1000HE? I am selling mine. I will put what ever OS you want on it and ship it to you. Best Offer. I have had Win XP, Win 7, Linux, and OS X all on this PC before. So what every you want just let me know.

Which means that you already brought another netpc or similar with full OSX support, ehehe.
I was wondering which one!

MoonDogg

MoonDogg

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Which means that you already brought another netpc or similar with full OSX support, ehehe.
I was wondering which one!

No not yet... I just wanted something bigger... looking into the Asus Eee 1215N. But I still got the Dell with Linux on it. Prolly gonna sell that too and get something else.. maybe a real MacBook or something.. not sure... put need to shed some of these computers I got... I have 4 iMac's and eMac, 2 Dell laptops and that 1000HE that don't get allot of use.

vlauria

vlauria

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Little MacEEE thank you so much for your step-by-step outline, it worked perfectly for me.

However, I don't know how to get it to 10.6.2 (or anything higher). When I tried straight to 10.6.4, it would crash/hang on boot load.

How have ppl gone about installing 10.6.2 after getting fine to 10.6.1?

ut_neon

ut_neon

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
hello. i tried this install. however when i try to boot from the usb drive the screen remains forever on the apple logo. i have a asus eee pc 1000he with 1GB ram. may this be the problem? thank you

note: im using retail disc install i got with my imac 27 version 10.6.1

winterfresh_xrt

winterfresh_xrt

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

hello. i tried this install. however when i try to boot from the usb drive the screen remains forever on the apple logo. i have a asus eee pc 1000he with 1GB ram. may this be the problem? thank you

note: im using retail disc install i got with my imac 27 version 10.6.1

Try booting with verbose mode to see what's wrong. Start pressing the tab key a few times just before the apple logo screen until you get to a black command prompt. Select your usb drive if needed, enter -v and press enter. It will most likely display an error or a kernel panic if it stops booting.

P5W DH Deluxe Dude

P5W DH Deluxe Dude

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
May some rewrite the Guide on the first Page up to 10.6.4 please?

Thanks a lot!

A few links are down, and posts in over 20 pages in this topic isnt very clearly arranged. So please can some on update the how to, and check all provided links in the guide?

thx

skykool

skykool

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Two things that I did to get everything working:

1. Install Meklort's AsusHotKeys.kext. This will get volume buttons working.

2. Get triple boot working:
a. Copy disk from flash drive to second partition of hard drive using DiskUtility's restore feature. I have found this more reliable than SuperDuper!.

b. If Windows is not already installed on first partition, format it as FAT. Then install WinXP.

c. Install Ubuntu to third partition. Note that the third partition is by default the BootBooster partition, which this will disable. There is probably a workaraound. MAKE SURE TO INSTALL GRUB TO THE PARTITION, NOT THE MBR!

d. Install Chameleon to the hard drive. Instructions here.

e. Chameleon should recognize Windows, Mac and Linux, and should be able to boot all of them.

MoonDogg

MoonDogg

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

May some rewrite the Guide on the first Page up to 10.6.4 please?

Thanks a lot!

A few links are down, and posts in over 20 pages in this topic isnt very clearly arranged. So please can some on update the how to, and check all provided links in the guide?

thx

As you may have noticed from my sig. I no longer have my 1000HE... plus I never upgraded mine past 10.6.2. I know it can be done, but I don't have it anymore to even try so me writing the guide would not be the best... Anyone please feel free to make a new guided updated for the newer updates and Hot keys and anything else that you want to put in there.. you can copy my guide and add to it or what ever. Prolly might want to start a new topic/thread so people don't get lost in this one. It was fun.. I am always happy to help when I can.. and I am not leaving.. just looking for a new project :-)

i use craigslist

i use craigslist

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
I followed the guide and everything is good. I am at 10.6.2 and I think I will stay here unless there is any reason to go higher. But one funny thing I noticed is that I got WIFI working where I did the installation, out the box. When I got home, Airport did not scan any networks around my house. Any help?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy