• Please log in to reply
436 replies to this topic

Arun985

Arun985

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

At some point (before adopting the strategy described in this tread) I had the same problem, but only after switching from an XP boot to a OSX boot…
To the best of my understanding, if you have all the kexts indicated in this guide, the kernel should have all the modules to handle the trackpad and keyboard.
The Netbookinstall.app should have installed a program named UpdateExtra in your /Extra folder: try run it and reboot.

Parken, thanks for your help! After installing NetbookInstall.app and rebooting, my keyboard and trackpad work, but my wifi suddenly does not. What would you reccommend?

parken

parken

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Parken, thanks for your help! After installing NetbookInstall.app and rebooting, my keyboard and trackpad work, but my wifi suddenly does not. What would you reccommend?

read above

mozartsql

mozartsql

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks for your guide, I installed sl to my 1000he successfully. My 1000he is a Chinese version and wifi card is Azure AW-NE771. It works great. But I have problem in shutting the computer down, it sometimes still on after I shut it down. Any suggestions? Sorry for my English.

parken

parken

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Thanks for your guide, I installed sl to my 1000he successfully. My 1000he is a Chinese version and wifi card is Azure AW-NE771. It works great. But I have problem in shutting the computer down, it sometimes still on after I shut it down. Any suggestions? Sorry for my English.

Same issue here (1000H, BIOS 2102, Chameleon 2.0 RC3 custom dsdt.ami file), with sporadic clean shutdowns...
My uninformed guess is that there is a miscommunication between the bootloader and the bios.
I'd also guess that this shouldn't harm your system, as disk volumes get unmounted (but I do not know if this is good for the hardware)

jojitsu

jojitsu

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hello Everybody! I just wanted to thank everyone (especially MoonDogg) for this guide and have OS X running pretty smoothly from my end at this point.

EDIT #2: MoonDogg has updated his original post to reflect the shutdown and sleep wake-up issues in a more friendly manner than I have in this post. Therefore, there should be little need to find a solution for it and my workaround is now dated. I'll still leave this post unedited here for the sake of reference, and it still goes over issues with dualbooting into xp as well as some random installation issues (like netbookinstaller not working for random reasons). Cheers!

I figured I would post my thoughts and installation efforts on getting my setup running and hopefully it will be helpful for someone.

I also seemed to have gotten shutdown working correctly, and have written how I did so at the bottom of this post (just search "shutdown solution" in your browser to get to it).

What I started out with:

1000HE with 2 gigs and Windows XP installed

What I ended up with:

Dual Booting Os X 10.6.1 and Windows XP

Major Issues fixed:

Shutdown Problems, also just fixed wireless not working sometimes by disabling bootbooster in my BIOS.

Major Issues Remaining:

None, everything from startup to sleep, to timemachine works. Waking up from sleep wireless still works.

For the rest of this post I will go into the specifics of how I got Os X installed, as well as issues that came up in my installation. The beginning will mimic much of what MoonDogg (much thanks!) did, as well as my issues in a couple steps in bold.

Installation steps:

1. Connect drive via USB to computer and format drive. GUID with one partition.

2. Install OS X from image or disk.

o 1. Mount image or insert disk.

o 2. Finder -> Go Menu -> Go To Folder

o 3. Enter this location: /Volumes/Mac OS X Install DVD/System/Installation/Packages

o 4. Open (double click) OSInstall.mpkg

3. After OS X install completed I ran the NetbookInstaller app according to this guide.

o HOWEVER, every time I tried to do this, the installer would crash before installing Chameleon. I downloaded the latest release from the google page (http://code.google.c.../downloads/list), but again, it would always crash (I tried to do this with both an OS X 10.5 and OS X 10.6 machine). Then, one time it randomly worked and installed. After that, NetbookInstaller would seemingly always work on the flashdrive. I have NO idea why this is, just persistence is key I guess ;)

4. Copy this extra folder to the root of the OS X drive and let it overwrite all files. I have updated this with voodoohda.kext that works with the voodoohda.prefpane that you will need to get the mic working.

5. At this point you can connect the usb drive to your EeePC and boot it. Either put it in the computer or use the usb and press F2 at boot up to select your boot device.

o From this point I now had OS X running through the flashdrive (EDIT: I also added the post install files as in MoonDogg's original instructions at this point too, bluetooth, ethernet, etc), and was trying to move it to the empty partition on my 1000HE (remember, I just used how the 1000he normally was, with one 80 gig windows partition, and an empty 60 gig FAT32 partition). When trying to use Disk Utility to change the empty partition to Mac OS Extended (Journaled), it would never work and fail to partition it. Again, after trying this numerous times, it randomly worked one time, and I was able to freely partition it however I wanted after it worked that one time.

6. I used SuperDuper to clone the flashdrive to the empty partition, this worked flawlessly.

7. At this point I ran into a couple problems, which I will post below, but for the sake of my installation I will write the steps how I got it to work here. Next I ran NetbookInstaller again, and installed Chameleon on the mac partition of my harddrive. I did NOT tick install "general extensions" and only ticked the "install chameleon" button. This step was still done through the OS X running through the flashdrive.

8. At this point I shutdown and restarted my computer. It automatically boot up to windows (as XP is the first partition, and there is no real way to get to the Os X partition at this point in a normal boot). To get dual booting working, I installed EasyBCD, which you can find here: http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1 . This is a wonderful bootloader and works flawlessly for me. However, since the program runs natively in Vista (and I was using XP), I had to use a roundabout way to install the program, which is explained beautifully here: http://neosmart.net/...ows-xp-machine/ .

9. Now I opened up EasyBCD, and added the Max OS X partition (as a "Generic x86 PC" in its entry).

10. I could now boot into Os X, and the only problems I had at this point were that I need to go through the BIOS to get wireless to appear, and my machine would never "fully" shutdown (screen would go to black, but power button and wireless notifiers were still all brightly lit blue).

o To solve the shutdown problem, I got rid of the "OpenHaltRestart.kext" in the Extra/GeneralExtentions folder, and installed the "OpenHaltRestart.kext" from Blackosx's post here: http://www.insanelym...howtopic=180954 (you can get the kext by downloading the support files in the post). I installed this kext using Kext Utility.

o The reason I did this was because other people in the past usedthe OpenHaltResart.kext to fix this exact shutdown problem in the past. I noticed the file sizes to Blackosx's .kext file and the one in this post were different sizes (100 kb vs 90 kb), so thought there might be some difference in them, and tried installing blackosx's to see if it would work. Miraculously it did, and although the first complete shutdown with the new .kext to approx 20 seconds, every shutdown therafter is near instant.

11. After all these steps, everything is installed and working FLAWLESSLY.

That's pretty much how I got this working pretty well, and haven't had any other problems. Originally, when installing this I did have a few problems, mainly with getting dual booting to work, but doing exactly what I did above (in the order I did above) everything works swimmingly. Installing EasyBCD with the options BEFORE getting Chameleon onto the OS X partition results in MBR problems and had to use the windows cd and MBRFIX to boot into windows again. Doing it in the order outlined above, it works great.

Also for those looking for the shutdown solution and just skipping to the end of this post here it is:

To solve the shutdown problem, I got rid of the "OpenHaltRestart.kext" in the Extra/GeneralExtentions folder, and installed the "OpenHaltRestart.kext" from Blackosx's post here: http://www.insanelym...howtopic=180954 (you can get the kext by downloading the support files in the post). I installed this kext using Kext Utility.

Thanks!

MoonDogg

MoonDogg

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Also for those looking for the shutdown solution and just skipping to the end of this post here it is:

To solve the shutdown problem, I got rid of the "OpenHaltRestart.kext" in the Extra/GeneralExtentions folder, and installed the "OpenHaltRestart.kext" from Blackosx's post here: http://www.insanelym...howtopic=180954 (you can get the kext by downloading the support files in the post). I installed this kext using Kext Utility.

Thanks!

WOW... Thanks... for the detailed post and the fix for the shutdown restart... sleep wifi and BT not comming back issue... There is only one thing I changed with your method... see the files in the /extra/generalextentions/ are never loaded.... the files your are loading are in the /extra/extensions.mkext so you are essentially loading two copies of the openhaltrestart.kext and can cause you problems in the future... so what I did is got the kext for the source you posted and added it to the extensions.mkext and updated the extra.zip file that is in my post. So now when you copy the extra folder to the root the new and working openhaltrestart.kext is there ... and I can confirm it works flawlessly... I am updating my guide to reflect this.... thanks for you help...

parken

parken

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

WOW... Thanks... for the detailed post and the fix for the shutdown restart... sleep wifi and BT not comming back issue... There is only one thing I changed with your method... see the files in the /extra/generalextentions/ are never loaded.... the files your are loading are in the /extra/extensions.mkext so you are essentially loading two copies of the openhaltrestart.kext and can cause you problems in the future... so what I did is got the kext for the source you posted and added it to the extensions.mkext and updated the extra.zip file that is in my post. So now when you copy the extra folder to the root the new and working openhaltrestart.kext is there ... and I can confirm it works flawlessly... I am updating my guide to reflect this.... thanks for you help...

Many, many thanks to MoonDogg and jojitsu for their guides, patience end persistence.
I have two questions MoonDogg might want to kindly answer: if I update/change kests in /E/GE and run the NetbookInstaller UpdateExtra, shouldn't /E extensions.mkext be updated acoording with kexts update/changes? Does UpdateExtra consider only the /E/GE folder content or (recursively) rather the whole content of /E?
Thanks in advance for your help.

MoonDogg

MoonDogg

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Many, many thanks to MoonDogg and jojitsu for their guides, patience end persistence.
I have two questions MoonDogg might want to kindly answer: if I update/change kests in /E/GE and run the NetbookInstaller UpdateExtra, shouldn't /E extensions.mkext be updated acoording with kexts update/changes? Does UpdateExtra consider only the /E/GE folder content or (recursively) rather the whole content of /E?
Thanks in advance for your help.

Well to tell you the truth.. I don't know whta that UpdateExtra app does... I don't have it on my computer any more... think it went away after I copied the extra's folder on top of it... The way I update the extensions.mkext file is with a utility called MKextTool made by pcwiz.

jojitsu

jojitsu

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Haha, I figured there was something a bit more complicated / slightly better way to fix the shutdown / sleep issues. This really is my first os x install on my 1000he (was waiting for wireless to work natively which thankfully happened in 10.6), so glad to hear it's working in more than one place. I updated my os x partition with what you did above as opposed to my original edit and everything looks like it is working swimmingly.

There are really absolutely no issues with this install and it's almost like the 1000HE was born to run OS X now. It's really surpassed any expectations I could have, plus the installation for everything is so simple with this guide and its probably one of the easiest installation of 10.6 on the whole insanelymac forums. Great work with the post and updates MoonDogg! Glad its working pretty much for almost everyone!

parken

parken

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Well to tell you the truth.. I don't know whta that UpdateExtra app does... I don't have it on my computer any more... think it went away after I copied the extra's folder on top of it... The way I update the extensions.mkext file is with a utility called MKextTool made by pcwiz.

Thank you for the info. If I understand correctly, your /E extensions.mkext contains all the kests from /E/GE and /S/L/E (is that so?).
I do not mean to criticize, but your method depends on the creation of the /E extensions.mkext bundle that you kindly provide us after each update/improvement, so every user's customization of the kests won't be applied/seen to/by the kernel until you build a new extensions.mkex (excuse me if I don't express myself with the correct technical wording, but I hope you get the concept). I run into this problem cose I replaced the IOATAfamily.kext from your /E folder with an older version to have my wireless card working under SL. Others might need to tweak /E/GE or /S/L/E kests after installation for whatever other reason.

You might want to give a look at UpdateExtra. It's included with the NetbookInstaller.app, and it shouldn't be a problem to extract it from the pkg and include it with your installation support files.

MoonDogg

MoonDogg

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Thank you for the info. If I understand correctly, your /E extensions.mkext contains all the kests from /E/GE and /S/L/E (is that so?).
I do not mean to criticize, but your method depends on the creation of the /E extensions.mkext bundle that you kindly provide us after each update/improvement, so every user's customization of the kests won't be applied/seen to/by the kernel until you build a new extensions.mkex (excuse me if I don't express myself with the correct technical wording, but I hope you get the concept). I run into this problem cose I replaced the IOATAfamily.kext from your /E folder with an older version to have my wireless card working under SL. Others might need to tweak /E/GE or /S/L/E kests after installation for whatever other reason.

You might want to give a look at UpdateExtra. It's included with the NetbookInstaller.app, and it shouldn't be a problem to extract it from the pkg and include it with your installation support files.

Well that is just how it was setup from netbookinstaller.app you can extract the extensions.mkext into the folder /extra/extensions/ and they would load then... and then you can update as you see fit... but no files under /Ex/GE/ load.. there just there... or you can modify or add kext to the /S/L/E folder and it would work also.. but if it is also includeing in the extentions.mkext under the extra's folder it will load twice and can cause problems... I never said my way was the only way.. its just the way I have found that works after much searching through forums and stuff and figured I would share with everyone in one spot... that update extra app might take whats in the GE folder and add it to the extenstions.mkext... IDK? I will have to investigate that when I get some time...

azn1art

azn1art

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
i don't know if anyone else experienced this. But is anyone else getting their drives showing up as external? I ran through your steps on another 1000HE, and the main hdd is coming up as external.

MoonDogg

MoonDogg

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

i don't know if anyone else experienced this. But is anyone else getting their drives showing up as external? I ran through your steps on another 1000HE, and the main hdd is coming up as external.

yeah mine shows up as external as well but i have not noticed any issues with that.... I never realy look into it to deeply.... let me know if you find anything out about it.. and I will do the same..

le jeune bidouilleur

le jeune bidouilleur

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 656 posts
Do you guys think this will work with an eeebox 202?
Sorry i know if of topic, but can't find any for the box.
Cheers

jojitsu

jojitsu

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Yep, mine has always come up as external as well, though it doesn't pose any problems really as it's the boot drive still. Updates and everything have worked fine with it so far for me.

mozartsql

mozartsql

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Attached File  OrangeHDIconFix.pkg.zip   750.23KB   47 downloadsAs for the main HD showed up as an external HD problem.
I installed the OrangeHDIconFix.pkg, and the HD icon is fixed now.

azn1art

azn1art

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
I have tried that fix, but it doesn't seem to help?

EDIT: I found another version that I got to work on my end. I think that the installation from mozartsql may just be corrupt.
Download the attachment below. Copy the files not the folders from the zip to \System\Library\Extenstions. Reboot your computer and the icons should be fixed.

Attached File  OrangeHDIconFix.zip   805.04KB   64 downloads

xino1010

xino1010

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
thank you very match for all :)
shut down works perfectly now jaja

Mitch Malone

Mitch Malone

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I have just run this install and followed as carefully as I could see and I've got several issues outstanding

- No bluetooth
- No wireless
- No ethernet

I think I have missed something at some point - what could it be?

MoonDogg

MoonDogg

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

I have just run this install and followed as carefully as I could see and I've got several issues outstanding

- No bluetooth
- No wireless
- No ethernet

I think I have missed something at some point - what could it be?

Do you have a 1000HE? Is it US or EU? Did you copy the extra's folder after installing netbookinstaller.app? Did you install the ethernet kext? Did you install the modified bluetooth kext? If so how did you install it?

With that information we should be able to help you.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy