UPDATE 7/22/2012 Files links updated... Mobile Me is offline so I moved the files to my drop box.
I have updated the guide with new files.. If you already have 10.6.1 installed here is what you need to do to install 10.6.2.
1. Install the latest netbookinstaller.app.
2. Update your extensions.mkext in the extra's folder.
3. Update to 10.6.2
You can read more about the kernel patch here. http://teateam.blogspot.com/
If you would like to read this post in chinese it has been translated by: mozartsql
I have tested this on a US version 1000HE with 2 GB RAM and stock wifi card.
What you will need.
- Working computer (PC or Mac) that runs OS X 10.5+
- Retail Snow Leopard Disk or Image
- Ability to connect your boot drive to the working computer via USB or an extra USB drive you can format.
- Files that will be provided in this guide.
- Asus EeePC 1000HE
- Connect drive via USB to computer and format drive. GUID with one partition.
- Install OS X from image or disk.
- 1. Mount image or insert disk.
- 2. Finder -> Go Menu -> Go To Folder
- 3. Enter this location: /Volumes/Mac OS X Install DVD/System/Installation/Packages
- 4. Open (double click) OSInstall.mpkg
Post Installation Steps:
In no particular order install these files.
Bluetooth will work on first boot but you may have problems turning the radio on and off. To fix that install the kext above. You can do this with either kexthelper or just copy it over the orginal and then run kext utility. Both tools are here. After installing this you will have to restart to see the results. After updating to 10.6.1 you will have to reinstall this file... this may happen after every future upgrade.
Ethernet will not work until you install the kext above. Use kexthelper then kext utility and then restart.
To install the VoodooHDA.prefpane just unzip and run file it will install in System Preferences. You can use this to tweek your audio settings including getting the mic to work. To make the mic work just make sure that the mic levels are something other than zero and the mic will work.
At this point you will have a fully working 1000HE with OS X 10.6. BTW you can use apple updates to install 10.6.1 with no issues. UPDATE: See above you will have the reload the modify kext for BT again.
Things that may need to be tweaked:
- After OS X install complete Run NetbookInstaller.app selecting the drive you just install OS X to only install general extensions and Chameleon 2.0 RC3. It will tell you your on an unsported computer just click ok. ( use the latest version. 0.8.3 RC4 has 10.6.2 support )
- Copy this extensions.mkext to the Extra's folder of the OS X drive and let it overwrite all files. I have updated this with voodoohda.kext that works with the voodoohda.prefpane that you will need to get the mic working. I have also updated this with the OpenHaltRestart.kext that is needed to get shutdown's restarts and wifi and BT to work after sleep. Thanks jojitsu. This is the one for 10.6 - 10.6.1 you will need the one at the top of the guide for 10.6.2. Do not use that one until you are installing 10.6.2 or you will get a kernel panic on startup.
- At this point you can connect the usb drive to your EeePC and boot it. Either put it in the computer or use the usb and press F2 at boot up to select your boot device. Most everything will work at this point there is just a view tweaks left.
Wired Ethernet. Well it just donï¿½ï¿½â�‚�šï¿½ï¿½â�‚�žï¿½t seem to work. It does show up in System Profiler as this :
Type: Other Network Controller
Vendor ID: 0x168c
Device ID: 0x002a
Subsystem Vendor ID: 0x1a3b
Subsystem ID: 0x1067
Revision ID: 0x0001
Link Width: x1
But it does not show up in System Profiler. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.
Update: This has been fixed thanks to azn1art for pointing me in the right direction... Get kext here.
I will update the extra's folder later and upload that so you won't have to install this kext separate.
Update: Kext does not work correctly unless in S/L/E so it will have to be installed separately.
After wake up from sleep wifi and Bluetooth seem not to connect. Don't know if that is just a issue I am having let me know what your experiences are.UPDATE: Thanks to jojitsu this is now working flawlessly.. read his post on page 2.
Last but not least I would like to thank some other people that helped out with this guide even if they did not know it. mk500 for the guide for the 901 that help me find dmbardal's post that had the other files I needed to get this working.