436 replies to this topic

MoonDogg

MoonDogg

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
This guide will cover installing Snow Leopard on an Asus EeePC 1000HE

UPDATE 7/22/2012 Files links updated... Mobile Me is offline so I moved the files to my drop box.

I have updated the guide with new files.. If you already have 10.6.1 installed here is what you need to do to install 10.6.2.

1. Install the latest netbookinstaller.app.
2. Update your extensions.mkext in the extra's folder.
3. Update to 10.6.2
4. Enjoy

You can read more about the kernel patch here. http://teateam.blogspot.com/

If you would like to read this post in chinese it has been translated by: mozartsql

http://bbs.pcbeta.co...604596-1-1.html

I have tested this on a US version 1000HE with 2 GB RAM and stock wifi card.
So far I have everything but the wired ethernet working. This is now fully working with no major issues. Any suggestions, additions, or comments about this guide is welcome. Feel free to take my files and modify your installation in anyway. I can always add new ways to the guide. This is just how I did it and it's working pretty good.

What you will need.
  • Working computer (PC or Mac) that runs OS X 10.5+
  • Retail Snow Leopard Disk or Image
  • Ability to connect your boot drive to the working computer via USB or an extra USB drive you can format.
  • Files that will be provided in this guide.
  • Asus EeePC 1000HE

Installation Steps:
  • Connect drive via USB to computer and format drive. GUID with one partition.
  • Install OS X from image or disk.
  • 1. Mount image or insert disk.
  • 2. Finder -> Go Menu -> Go To Folder
  • 3. Enter this location: /Volumes/Mac OS X Install DVD/System/Installation/Packages
  • 4. Open (double click) OSInstall.mpkg
I removed printers and other things not needed you can customize it how you want.

Post Installation Steps:

In no particular order install these files.
IOBluetoothfamily.kext
VoodooHDA.prefpane
AttansicL1eEthernet.kext

Bluetooth will work on first boot but you may have problems turning the radio on and off. To fix that install the kext above. You can do this with either kexthelper or just copy it over the orginal and then run kext utility. Both tools are here. After installing this you will have to restart to see the results. After updating to 10.6.1 you will have to reinstall this file... this may happen after every future upgrade.

Ethernet will not work until you install the kext above. Use kexthelper then kext utility and then restart.

To install the VoodooHDA.prefpane just unzip and run file it will install in System Preferences. You can use this to tweek your audio settings including getting the mic to work. To make the mic work just make sure that the mic levels are something other than zero and the mic will work.

At this point you will have a fully working 1000HE with OS X 10.6. BTW you can use apple updates to install 10.6.1 with no issues. UPDATE: See above you will have the reload the modify kext for BT again.

Things that may need to be tweaked:

• After OS X install complete Run NetbookInstaller.app selecting the drive you just install OS X to only install general extensions and Chameleon 2.0 RC3. It will tell you your on an unsported computer just click ok. ( use the latest version. 0.8.3 RC4 has 10.6.2 support )
  • Copy this extensions.mkext to the Extra's folder of the OS X drive and let it overwrite all files. I have updated this with voodoohda.kext that works with the voodoohda.prefpane that you will need to get the mic working. I have also updated this with the OpenHaltRestart.kext that is needed to get shutdown's restarts and wifi and BT to work after sleep. Thanks jojitsu. This is the one for 10.6 - 10.6.1 you will need the one at the top of the guide for 10.6.2. Do not use that one until you are installing 10.6.2 or you will get a kernel panic on startup.
  • At this point you can connect the usb drive to your EeePC and boot it. Either put it in the computer or use the usb and press F2 at boot up to select your boot device. Most everything will work at this point there is just a view tweaks left.
  • Wired Ethernet. Well it just don��â�‚�šï¿½ï¿½â�‚�žï¿½t seem to work. It does show up in System Profiler as this :

pci168c,2a:

Type: Other Network Controller
    Bus: PCI
    Vendor ID: 0x168c
    Device ID: 0x002a
    Subsystem Vendor ID: 0x1a3b
    Subsystem ID: 0x1067
    Revision ID: 0x0001
    Link Width: x1

But it does not show up in System Profiler. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Update: This has been fixed thanks to azn1art for pointing me in the right direction... Get kext here. I will update the extra's folder later and upload that so you won't have to install this kext separate.

Update: Kext does not work correctly unless in S/L/E so it will have to be installed separately.
  • After wake up from sleep wifi and Bluetooth seem not to connect. Don't know if that is just a issue I am having let me know what your experiences are. UPDATE: Thanks to jojitsu this is now working flawlessly.. read his post on page 2.

Last but not least I would like to thank some other people that helped out with this guide even if they did not know it. mk500 for the guide for the 901 that help me find dmbardal's post that had the other files I needed to get this working.

azn1art

azn1art

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
I have a solution for the Ethernet.

1000HE Files

The kext you want to use is the AttansicL1eEthernet.kext. With this, I am able to use the ethernet at anytime. I can plug in anytime and it would work.

MoonDogg

MoonDogg

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

I have a solution for the Ethernet.

1000HE Files

The kext you want to use is the AttansicL1eEthernet.kext. With this, I am able to use the ethernet at anytime. I can plug in anytime and it would work.

Wow thanks... I will add this to my guide as soon as I am able to download it and test it. The link you provided is not working right now.

Update: I found it elsewhere.. thanks.. I am going to update the guide now...

Augusto.rc

Augusto.rc

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
Thanks for the guide! I'll try to install SL this weekend on my 1000he.

xino1010

xino1010

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
hi friend!
many thanks for your tutorial. He has served everything you said, but I have a little problem. When I turn the eee 1000he remains "on", ie the operating system shuts down but not completely the netbook.

PD: sorry for my english...

EnzoFX

EnzoFX

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts
So the stock wireless card works?

Also, I'm really surprised the OSInstall.mpkg method worked in this case. I thought that method was inconsistent, resulting in odd KP's.

There are quite a few patched system kexts, are you saying to put them in /E/E? Are they really all necessary?
For example, you are using an SMBIOS injector, but also injecting smbios info through Chameleon with smbios.plist in /Extra.

MoonDogg

MoonDogg

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

hi friend!
many thanks for your tutorial. He has served everything you said, but I have a little problem. When I turn the eee 1000he remains "on", ie the operating system shuts down but not completely the netbook.

PD: sorry for my english...

Does this happen all the time? Or just some of the time.. because I have had this happen as well... but only after a program hangs for some other reason... under normal circumstances it works....

So the stock wireless card works?

Also, I'm really surprised the OSInstall.mpkg method worked in this case. I thought that method was inconsistent, resulting in odd KP's.

There are quite a few patched system kexts, are you saying to put them in /E/E? Are they really all necessary?
For example, you are using an SMBIOS injector, but also injecting smbios info through Chameleon with smbios.plist in /Extra.

Yes stock wifi card works great.... just after sleep seems to not function quite right....

I have installed it with the OSInstall.mpkg method a couple times and it has worked each time. I have also not had any KP's with this machine either. My personal experience may differ from yours. I am sure there are other ways of doing it... I just wrote this guide on the way I found to do it and it worked.

Yes there are a bunch of patched system kexts... but there is none under /E/E there are /Extra/GeneralExtenstions/ which does not load on boot. what you are ackualy loading is the extenstion.mkext under the /Extra/ folder. and it has 303 kext inside it. Does all of them need to be there??? I don't know.. I have not had the time to experiment taking them out one by one and then testing it... The files in /E/GE/ is left over from the installations of netbookinstaller.app and I just left them there for good measure... feel free to experiment with any and all the kext to slim it down.... I know there few you have to have to make things work.. the audo voodoohda, the ethernet AttansicL1eEthernet.kext , a couple other voodoo ones for battery and stuff...

Oh and to answer the question about the smbios.plist the plist is what is used the kext in the /E/GE/ is not used. which can be changed... like I changed mine to show a memory speed of 667 because I have upgraded ram in mine...

xino1010

xino1010

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
hello again!
thank you for answering the 2, I have found the solution.
I reinstaldo the netbook 0.8.2 installer and now the pc off snow leopard. After the iopcfamily and ethernet.
many thanks for the files!
good afternoon!

PD, did not need to copy the folder to the root extra hard drive, works as silk:) ^_^

parken

parken

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
First of all, thanks a bunch for your guide: I have used it to install SL on my 2GB 1000H with the vanilla 2102 BIOS and it worked like a charme!
I spent a week on trying to install following other guides form this and other sites and I was about to give up...
I'm a pure mac user and this installation took some learning: I'm not 100% sure I have an "informed" control over the whole process...
For instance, I couldn't use the NetbookInstaller.app (both available versions crashed on my SL intel iMac before performing anything on the installation volume), so I had to install the bootloader from the command line, both on the 1000H drive and USB install disk.
Nevertheless, after performing all the post-installation mods and repairs my 1000H is totally functional, excluding the wireless Ralink RT2660 card (let's hope for their drivers).
Sleep, bluetooth, battery, sound brightness control and whatever else are fully functional. As a workaround for wireless I suggest the inexpensive D_LINK DWL G122 USB dongle (their 10.5 drivers work under SL).
As xino1010, I have an issue with the shutdown process: I believe the system halts correctly but somehow dosn't pass the correct powerdown info to the BIOS, so the machine stays on. The odd thing is that this doesn't happen all the time (today I had a clean shutdown twice).
A second issue is an anomalous behaviour of the tackpad after a reboot from XP: to restore it I have to reboot in SL.
Other than that everything is running smoothly.
Thanks!

MoonDogg

MoonDogg

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

First of all, thanks a bunch for your guide: I have used it to install SL on my 2GB 1000H with the vanilla 2102 BIOS and it worked like a charme!
I spent a week on trying to install following other guides form this and other sites and I was about to give up...
I'm a pure mac user and this installation took some learning: I'm not 100% sure I have an "informed" control over the whole process...
For instance, I couldn't use the NetbookInstaller.app (both available versions crashed on my SL intel iMac before performing anything on the installation volume), so I had to install the bootloader from the command line, both on the 1000H drive and USB install disk.
Nevertheless, after performing all the post-installation mods and repairs my 1000H is totally functional, excluding the wireless Ralink RT2660 card (let's hope for their drivers).
Sleep, bluetooth, battery, sound brightness control and whatever else are fully functional. As a workaround for wireless I suggest the inexpensive D_LINK DWL G122 USB dongle (their 10.5 drivers work under SL).
As xino1010, I have an issue with the shutdown process: I believe the system halts correctly but somehow dosn't pass the correct powerdown info to the BIOS, so the machine stays on. The odd thing is that this doesn't happen all the time (today I had a clean shutdown twice).
A second issue is an anomalous behaviour of the tackpad after a reboot from XP: to restore it I have to reboot in SL.
Other than that everything is running smoothly.
Thanks!

Thanks for your post and information about your experiences... I don't know why the netbookinstaller.app did not work for you... I never had an issue.. but I always used a hackintosh as well... I am glad to here most things are working for you.. and If I here anythign about drivers for your wifi I will post them here...

parken

parken

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Thanks for your post and information about your experiences... I don't know why the netbookinstaller.app did not work for you... I never had an issue.. but I always used a hackintosh as well... I am glad to here most things are working for you.. and If I here anythign about drivers for your wifi I will post them here...

Over the W/E I had a bit more time to search, experiment and understand, and these are the more significant things I found out:
1. the Relink RT2860 wireless card works with ReLink 10.5 drivers in Snow Leo if you replace the IOATAfamily.kext in your (Netbookinstaller.app) /E/GE package with the one you find in the 10.5.7 combo update (v 2.0.1 I believe);
2. consequently, when after this change you update all the kexts stuff you describe above with the Netbookinstaller.app UpdateExtra program, boot time is much shorter;
3. if you add a specific DSDT.ami file to /E, hacked with DSDT SE as described in here, you can restore some few missing functionalities (e.g. power button to sleep, restart)

Still, I do not manage halting the system to shutdown gracefully most of the times...

nemorigolo

nemorigolo

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
Hello (sorry for my poor english),

Thanks for your guide, its wonderfull. My EeePC 1000HE works 100% (wifi ok out of the box with SL).

I'll try to explain my install method (You need external dvd player):

- I used the SL retail DVD and boot CD
- I started installation with the excellent guide for P35-DS3 (the bios is not affected in the 1000HE):
http://www.insanelym...howtopic=184367
- After reboot, use NetbookInstaller and select general extensions and Chameleon
- Reboot without boot CD
- Install the two extensions (for bluetooth and lan)
- Install VoodooHDA.prefpane
- Reboot.

And all works perfectly. I don't copy the Extra folder. My wifi card (stocked) works perfectly as Airport.

I hope my experience will help you, if you don't have a leopard installed.

Branhower

Branhower

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
I managed to get Snow Leopard running on my 1000he with the guide that was written for the 901. This is phenomenal stuff! The only thing I found messed up so far is the fact I can't join Wireless-B WiFi networks, which really doesn't matter since there's only one I need to connect to, and I dual-boot with Windows 7 anyway.

Edit: There was one thing I forgot to change. All is good now.

mozartsql

mozartsql

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Is the original wifi working?

parken

parken

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Is the original wifi working?

If you have a Relink rt2860, try to install the IOATAFamily.kest from the 10.5.7 combo update (get it wit pacifist) and the relink 10.5 drivers

Arun985

Arun985

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi,

I really appreciate this guide, it helped me get SL up and running on my 1000HE. However, I'm forced to use a USB keyboard and mouse since my netbooks keyboard and trackpad aren't recognized by the OS. They work fine under Windows 7. Any suggestions on how I would get this working? Everything else seems to be working great though!

parken

parken

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Hi,

I really appreciate this guide, it helped me get SL up and running on my 1000HE. However, I'm forced to use a USB keyboard and mouse since my netbooks keyboard and trackpad aren't recognized by the OS. They work fine under Windows 7. Any suggestions on how I would get this working? Everything else seems to be working great though!

What happens if you restart from OSX to OSX?

xino1010

xino1010

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
excuse me again guys!
the audio is not working perfectly and I have copied the extracted folder in the root of the hard disk but the problem is that when I shut the pc stays always on.
there a workaround?
sorry for my English

Arun985

Arun985

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

What happens if you restart from OSX to OSX?

If I start OSX without a USB keyboard attached, the Bluetooth Keyboard Setup appears with the message "No keyboards have been found. Make sure your keyboard is 'discoverable.'"

Is there a PS/2 kext that I need? Or what other solutions are there?

Thanks in advance for your help :D

parken

parken

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

If I start OSX without a USB keyboard attached, the Bluetooth Keyboard Setup appears with the message "No keyboards have been found. Make sure your keyboard is 'discoverable.'"

Is there a PS/2 kext that I need? Or what other solutions are there?

Thanks in advance for your help :wacko:

At some point (before adopting the strategy described in this tread) I had the same problem, but only after switching from an XP boot to a OSX boot…
To the best of my understanding, if you have all the kexts indicated in this guide, the kernel should have all the modules to handle the trackpad and keyboard.
The Netbookinstall.app should have installed a program named UpdateExtra in your /Extra folder: try run it and reboot.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy