• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

Kronno Fatal1ty

Kronno Fatal1ty

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Does this work with 10.5.2? If not, could someone please convert it so it does?

Kind regards.

no sorry it's only compatible with 10.6.x distros
i will try to get a fully working kext for 10.5.x distros
i've tested this one in 10.5.8 and the result was kernel panic...
best regards

Dutchcoffee

Dutchcoffee

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

no sorry it's only compatible with 10.6.x distros
i will try to get a fully working kext for 10.5.x distros
i've tested this one in 10.5.8 and the result was kernel panic...
best regards

I would much appreciate it if you could get it working for 10.5.x. :D

Brandom

Brandom

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I installed the new kext from kexts.com and I was really excited to see a new icon on the top right of the menu. Unfortunately I can't connect to anything, it automatically assigns me a 169.* IP. The device shows up as an Ethernet card in airport settings. For those who got it to work, any tips? Does yours show up as Ethernet?

Edit: A little bit more details.. I'm running 10.6.4 imaged from VMware (my dual layer burner in this VAIO kept throwing up errors so, 10 DL DVDs later, I improvised). I have a VAIO VPCCW21FX with the Atheros AR9285 card. Everything working except for hardware acceleration and the WiFi.

Kronno Fatal1ty

Kronno Fatal1ty

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts
thats very simple.. in vmware you've got the network shared in windows and mac... so you will not get the icon of the wifi... you will have in the preferences panel>network the icon of the vmware network conenction and not the wifi...
if you want the icon of wifi just download like me the single layer retail version of snow leopard in thepiratebay...
hope this helps
best regards

I would much appreciate it if you could get it working for 10.5.x. ^_^

im not sure but you can try this...
go upgrading your 10.5.x distros like this
install 10.5.3 and install the kext... if you get kernel panic just enter in mac via single user mode and remove the kext
upgrade to 10.5.4 and do the same... once you reach the 10.5.8 and get kernel panic try to install snow leopard single layer dvd retail instalation... it's much easier than get the fully working kext to 10.5.x distros...
with that laptop you should have no problems in running 10.6.x... just download iAtkos S3 V2 10.6.3 ;)
best regard my friend

Lamelogin

Lamelogin

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Thank you very much!

AR9285 works now on my Samsung R580 laptop. (Mac OS X 10.6.2, and now after update in 10.6.4 too)

tianlye

tianlye

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
I noticed something- the drivers do not work with all routers - it does not work with my N router but it work with my G router. For those whom it does not work, maybe you like to try out in other places as well?

Kronno Fatal1ty

Kronno Fatal1ty

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts
Yes it does... i've tried connectiong to a lot of routers here at my home, cofee shops, airports stations, pub's... and these driver for AR9285 never let me down... maybe your doing something wrong i guess...
best regards

riws

riws

InsanelyMac V.I.P.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,081 posts

I noticed something- the drivers do not work with all routers - it does not work with my N router but it work with my G router. For those whom it does not work, maybe you like to try out in other places as well?

AR9285 doesn't support 5Ghz only 2,4Ghz, but its possible to hack the ROM, Tool for Windows

tianlye

tianlye

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Yes it does... i've tried connectiong to a lot of routers here at my home, cofee shops, airports stations, pub's... and these driver for AR9285 never let me down... maybe your doing something wrong i guess...
best regards

That is good for you. Unfornately, there are others who cannot connect their AR9285 to their network and I am offering a suggestion that might help to verify if it is their router or the card

AR9285 doesn't support 5Ghz only 2,4Ghz, but its possible to hack the ROM, Tool for Windows

Er, sorry I am a noob, maybe can you tell me what is this about?

Kronno Fatal1ty

Kronno Fatal1ty

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts
This meens that the router sends a 5 GHz strengh signal and the wireless card AR9285 only supports 2,4GHz signal... this is if your router have been configured to send a signal like that, you can always enter your router and slow down the strengh signal... hope this could help
best regards

cairo_sc

cairo_sc

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
Well, maybe i can help u guys.
See, i bought a PCI-e TPlink WN781N with an Atheros AR9285 Chipset.
So, i did the following steps:

1st - I've got a brand new SL installation and
2nd - updated it to 10.6.4.
3rd - then, i got a IO80211Family.Kext from 10.6.5 beta (click to download =])
4th - installed it with Kext Utility 2.3.2
5th - after the kext installation, i went to system profile, clicked on Airport and, guess what, it's working.

Attached File  Captura_de_pantalla_2010_09_09_a_las_23.15.35.png   959.08KB   386 downloads

Well, this is all, maybe it'll help you guys.

Anarchy7269

Anarchy7269

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Dude do you have this running on your i7 setup.

bigwiger

bigwiger

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
cairo_sc: Would also like to know if you have this working on an i7. Also, did you have to alter the i080211Family.kext at all. It seems many cards require including the device id to the plist, but I wanted to know if you really got this working out of box. thanks.

cairo_sc

cairo_sc

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Dude do you have this running on your i7 setup.

Yeap, and until now i just have some problems with my mouse,
sometimes it disappears, but then from nothing, it comes back.
Gonna by a Magic Mouse to fix it =D

cairo_sc: Would also like to know if you have this working on an i7. Also, did you have to alter the i080211Family.kext at all. It seems many cards require including the device id to the plist, but I wanted to know if you really got this working out of box. thanks.

And, yeap, i got it working out of box, no i080211Family.kext editing, all the work i did was,
drag atheros kext into Kext Utility, and that's it =)

and still working until now.

here's a little screenshot
Attached File  Screen_shot_2010_09_16_at_23.04.20.png   603.68KB   218 downloads

bigwiger

bigwiger

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Cairo_sc:

Couldn't wait for a response. Ordered the exact same card as you, followed your instructions, and got it working this morning. One of the easiest modifications yet on my Core i7 SL. Thanks!!

The Red Haski

The Red Haski

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

And, yeap, i got it working out of box, no i080211Family.kext editing, all the work i did was,

Attached File  Screen_shot_2010_09_16_at_23.04.20.png   603.68KB   218 downloads

Using your method, I'm able to connect to B/G networks fine. But I can't get an IP address from N networks.

Are you connecting to N networks no problem?

semipro

semipro

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
thank you very much for your information regarding this wlan pci card, this has worked fine. i have the same PCI-e TPlink WN781N card which was pretty cheap and airport works nice with this kext.

also I would like to know, whether it is possible to use this with the proposed N speed at 150 MBit/s instead of the current G speed at 54 MBit/s ?!

cairo_sc

cairo_sc

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Using your method, I'm able to connect to B/G networks fine. But I can't get an IP address from N networks.

Are you connecting to N networks no problem?

I'm using a G network, haven't tried the N yet. Sorry about that =/.

Cairo_sc:

Couldn't wait for a response. Ordered the exact same card as you, followed your instructions, and got it working this morning. One of the easiest modifications yet on my Core i7 SL. Thanks!!

You're welcome bro. Helping is our duty =D
I'm glad it worked for you.

thank you very much for your information regarding this wlan pci card, this has worked fine. i have the same PCI-e TPlink WN781N card which was pretty cheap and airport works nice with this kext.

also I would like to know, whether it is possible to use this with the proposed N speed at 150 MBit/s instead of the current G speed at 54 MBit/s ?!

Sorry dude, haven't tried the N network yet, I'm looking forward to buy a N router, then I'll be able to give you some help.

kirandeore

kirandeore

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I was able to surf using a g-router but was just able to connect (not surf) on n-router

nestawasright

nestawasright

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Would you mind uploading the atheros kext you used, as you kindly did the i080211Family.kext? Please

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy