[Solved] AR9285 (Asus EEE 1008HA) and Snow Leopard

Serkan

45 posts in this topic

I noticed something- the drivers do not work with all routers - it does not work with my N router but it work with my G router. For those whom it does not work, maybe you like to try out in other places as well?

AR9285 doesn't support 5Ghz only 2,4Ghz, but its possible to hack the ROM, Tool for Windows

Yes it does... i've tried connectiong to a lot of routers here at my home, cofee shops, airports stations, pub's... and these driver for AR9285 never let me down... maybe your doing something wrong i guess...

best regards

That is good for you. Unfornately, there are others who cannot connect their AR9285 to their network and I am offering a suggestion that might help to verify if it is their router or the card

AR9285 doesn't support 5Ghz only 2,4Ghz, but its possible to hack the ROM, Tool for Windows

Er, sorry I am a noob, maybe can you tell me what is this about?

This meens that the router sends a 5 GHz strengh signal and the wireless card AR9285 only supports 2,4GHz signal... this is if your router have been configured to send a signal like that, you can always enter your router and slow down the strengh signal... hope this could help

best regards

• 2 weeks later...

Well, maybe i can help u guys.

See, i bought a PCI-e TPlink WN781N with an Atheros AR9285 Chipset.

So, i did the following steps:

1st - I've got a brand new SL installation and

2nd - updated it to 10.6.4.

3rd - then, i got a IO80211Family.Kext from 10.6.5 beta (click to download =])

4th - installed it with Kext Utility 2.3.2

5th - after the kext installation, i went to system profile, clicked on Airport and, guess what, it's working.

post-529983-1284067001_thumb.png

Well, this is all, maybe it'll help you guys.

cairo_sc: Would also like to know if you have this working on an i7. Also, did you have to alter the i080211Family.kext at all. It seems many cards require including the device id to the plist, but I wanted to know if you really got this working out of box. thanks.

Dude do you have this running on your i7 setup.

Yeap, and until now i just have some problems with my mouse,

sometimes it disappears, but then from nothing, it comes back.

Gonna by a Magic Mouse to fix it =D

cairo_sc: Would also like to know if you have this working on an i7. Also, did you have to alter the i080211Family.kext at all. It seems many cards require including the device id to the plist, but I wanted to know if you really got this working out of box. thanks.

And, yeap, i got it working out of box, no i080211Family.kext editing, all the work i did was,

drag atheros kext into Kext Utility, and that's it =)

and still working until now.

here's a little screenshot

post-529983-1284671247_thumb.png

And, yeap, i got it working out of box, no i080211Family.kext editing, all the work i did was,

Using your method, I'm able to connect to B/G networks fine. But I can't get an IP address from N networks.

Are you connecting to N networks no problem?

• 2 weeks later...

thank you very much for your information regarding this wlan pci card, this has worked fine. i have the same PCI-e TPlink WN781N card which was pretty cheap and airport works nice with this kext.

also I would like to know, whether it is possible to use this with the proposed N speed at 150 MBit/s instead of the current G speed at 54 MBit/s ?!

• 4 weeks later...
Using your method, I'm able to connect to B/G networks fine. But I can't get an IP address from N networks.

Are you connecting to N networks no problem?

I'm using a G network, haven't tried the N yet. Sorry about that =/.

Cairo_sc:

Couldn't wait for a response. Ordered the exact same card as you, followed your instructions, and got it working this morning. One of the easiest modifications yet on my Core i7 SL. Thanks!!

You're welcome bro. Helping is our duty =D

I'm glad it worked for you.

thank you very much for your information regarding this wlan pci card, this has worked fine. i have the same PCI-e TPlink WN781N card which was pretty cheap and airport works nice with this kext.

also I would like to know, whether it is possible to use this with the proposed N speed at 150 MBit/s instead of the current G speed at 54 MBit/s ?!

Sorry dude, haven't tried the N network yet, I'm looking forward to buy a N router, then I'll be able to give you some help.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Would you mind uploading the atheros kext you used, as you kindly did the i080211Family.kext? Please

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Well, maybe i can help u guys.

See, i bought a PCI-e TPlink WN781N with an Atheros AR9285 Chipset.

So, i did the following steps:

1st - I've got a brand new SL installation and

2nd - updated it to 10.6.4.

3rd - then, i got a IO80211Family.Kext from 10.6.5 beta (click to download =])

4th - installed it with Kext Utility 2.3.2

5th - after the kext installation, i went to system profile, clicked on Airport and, guess what, it's working.

post-529983-1284067001_thumb.png

Well, this is all, maybe it'll help you guys.

Hi mate, does it work in Snow Leopard 64bit mode? And does it work with Lion?

Thank you!

• 5 months later...

Hi,

I've installed Snow Leopard 10.5.5 on my EeePc 1008ha, but I can't make AR9285 work.

I've installed the patched kext in S/L/E and the card is correctly recognized in system profiler;

I can see my wireless network, but I'm not able to connect using DHCP, and if I go for a static IP it says connected,

but there is no real connection, what's missing?